Jury Duty

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mickeyd

Jury Duty

Post by mickeyd »

I received a $6.00 check from the county after I served on jury duty in July 2010. Yes I claimed it as income, mainly because TT prompted me and I was honest. I was not selected to be on a jury, though I would probably look forward to a capital murder trial and have the opportunity to squeeze the life out of one of the local killers. :shock:

It cost me $4 to park at the county parking garage, so I was up only $2.

What do YOU get for jury duty on day one?
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

Will you get a 1099 and you have to pay taxes for it?
My signature has been deleted.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

I checked into it last year after getting a preliminary notice and it was $40/day.I did serve a couple times quite a few years ago and at time it was $12/ day + bus fare.
Last edited by joe8d on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the Best, | Joe
grberry

Post by grberry »

If I recall correctly, in my state the employer is supposed to provide normal pay (without using up any of the employees normal paid time off) for the first three days, and the state will pay $50 a day for the fourth and later days. $50 a day is well below the state minimum wage...
Topic Author
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

indexfundfan wrote:Will you get a 1099 and you have to pay taxes for it?
No. They rely on my impeccable honesty and integrity.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
northend

Post by northend »

Ten dollars a day, plus mileage or bus pass.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Re: Jury Duty

Post by grabiner »

mickeyd wrote:I received a $6.00 check from the county after I served on jury duty in July 2010. Yes I claimed it as income, mainly because TT prompted me and I was honest.
The $6 may have been intended as an expense reimbursement, not a service fee; in that case, it would not be income.

(This is also relevant in non-tax situations. If your employer pays your salary while you are on jury duty, you will need to turn over any service fees to your employer, but will probably be able to keep expense reimbursements.)
Wiki David Grabiner
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

mickeyd wrote:...

Satisfaction. For me, jury duty is not about the money.
Regards, | Bob | Wiki
CABob

Post by CABob »

$0.00 for the first day. For subsequent days if required I believe it is $15 plus some mileage expenses.
Bob
paulsiu

Post by paulsiu »

I served in a Jury once and had a positive experience. The pay is minimal like $6-$9. What to do with Jury pay depends on your employer and state. I think in some states, the Employer actually don't have to pay you so Jury duty is a bit of a chore. Some employer will pay you, but will force you to give them the Jury duty pay (which is a stupid idea, how much did it cost to process all that paperwork!)

You generally get no 1099, but have to report it. Frankly, I doubt it will make that much of a difference if you forgot to report it. Even if you spend a week on the Jury, it's not enough money for the IRS to come after you.

Paul
Sriracha

Post by Sriracha »

You get the big goose egg here for day one. The local county courthouse has happily upgraded the juror waiting facilities, which I think is great. I've never had to stay long, but I know people who have and it apparently got to be pretty uncomfortable. I'd rather have any day one money go to something like that.
Don't reach for yield.
celia

Post by celia »

CABob wrote:
$0.00 for the first day. For subsequent days if required I believe it is $15 plus some mileage expenses.
+1

We have "one day or one trial", which I like a lot better than the old way. If you don't get selected for a jury on the first day you get called in, you are finished serving. The idea is that EVERYONE should serve at least one day, no excuses allowed (unless deceased or incapacitated).
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

joe8d wrote:I checked into it last year after getting a preliminary notice and it was $40/day.I did serve a couple times quite a few years ago and at time it was $12/ day + bus fare.
As a fellow New Yorker, I recall it was $40 for the one day I served back in 2007. I was still working at the time (only P/T), but the day I had to go in coincided with a day I normally worked, so I got paid for it. My employer deducted $28 from my pay because I was allowed to exclude $12 based on the cents-per-mile reinbursement they allowed for deductible business travel expenses. [Never mind that not having to take the trains to my office that day saved me $20 LOL!]

My earlier jury duty services had a lower daily pay although I don't recall if it were $12 when I went (probably close to it).
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

celia wrote:
CABob wrote:
+1

We have "one day or one trial", which I like a lot better than the old way. If you don't get selected for a jury on the first day you get called in, you are finished serving. The idea is that EVERYONE should serve at least one day, no excuses allowed (unless deceased or incapacitated).
This seems to be what we have in New York now. When I served in 2007, I was among a group of 30 prospective jurors questioned the whole day by two yakkety lawyers for a civil case. It took them all day to get 6 jurors plus two alternates but I was lucky enough to be among the 5 or 6 who were never individually questioned. It was already after 4 PM by then so we got our certificates and were told not to return the next day (and would not be called for state jury duty for at least 7 years). The check for $40 (one day of jury duty service) arrived soon thereafter.
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

I was called twice for federal jury duty and once for county. One call was for multiple days with overnight stays even though I never got onto a jury. My employers (two different ones) paid my normal salary although wanted to be reimbursed for the fee I was paid for jury duty. For the federal, all applicable expenses, including parking, hotel, food, tolls, gas etc was paid by the government.
IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy »

Just served in McLean County, Illinois (Bloomington)- $10/day plus mileage on every day you report, even if you get released after an hour. Not sure what they use for the mileage rate but I think it must be at least in the .30-.40 range. They told us it was taxable income but that they weren't issuing 1099s so we would need to remember it for next year.
LynnC

Post by LynnC »

celia wrote:
CABob wrote:
+1

+2
Sounds like California. I just finished my week on a call in panel last week. I did not get called in, but have in the past. Last year, I went to the main courthouse for one day and was finished. It is worthy, interesting and everyone should get to be part of the process. Just my 2 cents.

LynnC
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I think it is $27 per day, now paid in cash each day you are called to show up and do show up.
Rick_29T9W

Post by Rick_29T9W »

I had to serve as a juror on a one day trial last year. They asked me how far I had to drive to get to the courthouse, and I told them it was about 7 miles each way. So, after the trial, I received a check for about $17 for my travel expenses. I had also wondered if reimbursing my travel expenses should be counted as income or not.

I was glad the whole process was over in just one day, include the hour long wait before the trail began.
Balance

Post by Balance »

mickeyd wrote:I received a $6.00 check from the county after I served on jury duty in July 2010. Yes I claimed it as income, mainly because TT prompted me and I was honest. I was not selected to be on a jury, though I would probably look forward to a capital murder trial and have the opportunity to squeeze the life out of one of the local killers. :shock:

It cost me $4 to park at the county parking garage, so I was up only $2.

I just got called for jury duty last week. They gave me a free parking pass though. I am suprised that isn't given to all jurors when using their parking facilities.
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

I last served on jury duty about 2 years ago. It was the local county court. I received $15 per day plus a mileage fee for driving from my home to the county courthouse for the number of days I served.
Chuck | Past Performance Is Just That - bob | For info on the SC LowCountry & Savannah GA Area Bogleheads contact me at chucktanner46@gmail.com
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

$10 plus $25 for mileage reimbursement.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Nothing, they do stamp your parking ticket so you get a discount on that.
Regards | Bob
SpaceMonkey

Post by SpaceMonkey »

$4 for Day 1 in Washington, DC. I believe it's intended to defray public transportation costs. We have the "one day or one trial" policy as well.
TranceLordSnyder

Post by TranceLordSnyder »

I work in PA for a school district. My employer pays me my full pay for as many days as I am in jury duty. I was called upon a few months ago, but then the case was cancelled and I never got to go. I want to go to jury duty and I can't seem to go!
Watty

Post by Watty »

Has anyone here ever gotten called to serve on a Grand Jury?

I have heard that that can go on for months if you are selected.

Greg
TranceLordSnyder

Post by TranceLordSnyder »

Watty wrote:Has anyone here ever gotten called to serve on a Grand Jury?

I have heard that that can go on for months if you are selected.

Greg
One of the guys I work with was on a Grand Jury. I'm not totally sure on the circumstances, but he had to go every other Friday for a year and a half.