Boglehead Beer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:26 pm

DRiP Guy wrote:
YoungLion wrote:I drink Ninkasi Total Domination IPA. One on Friday night and one on Saturday night. I don't drink during the work week.

$5.19/single 22 oz beer?

:shock:

http://www.northwestliquidgold.com/prod ... -22oz.html#
You should try the Doghead Fish World Wide Stout. 18% ABV, $8.99/12oz. It will redefine leverage.

rayout

Post by rayout » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:30 pm

Left Hand Brewing Company Milk Stout is one of my favorites.

Ranger IPA by the New Belgium Brewing Co. is great too

I was recently offered a pint of Emmet's Red Ale (they are located in Palatine, IL) and was blown away. Will need to get a pack of those for myself :D

DH287

Post by DH287 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:36 pm

For better or worse, these days, this Boglehead only drinks on extra-special occasions. My favorites (which are not daily drinkers/session beers): Trappist Rochefort (Eight) and, for something completely different: Brut Des Flanders DeuS.

Both are incredibly tasty, and quite different from each other.

I suppose it's Bogelheadian to keep one's daily expenses low, and to splurge on extra-special occasions :wink:

UrbanMedic

Post by UrbanMedic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:00 am

Classics:
Schlitz.
Hamms.
Grain Belt.

If you want the most punch for the least $$: Old Milwaukee Best Ice.

Flavor and overall scrumptious:
Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:09 am

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I enjoy Natural Light. It's really cheap and hits the spot. I guess you'd call that a Boglehead Beer.

Tonight I had a Paulaner Salvator Dopplebock. It wasn't cheap or expensive...somewhere in the middle. It was really good!

market timer

Post by market timer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:19 am

I'd focus on diversity (mixed six-pack) and low expense ratio (purchased from a store, not a bar).

Here's my six pack, all of which I drink regularly:

1. Hitachino Red Rice Ale (Japan)
2. Rogue Dead Guy Ale (US)
3. La Chouffe (Belgium)
4. Baltika #9 (Russia)
5. La Fin du Monde (Canada)
6. Beer Lao Dark (Laos)

Hat

Post by Hat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:25 am

Tactical Nuclear Penguin :P

On a serious note, I drink beers that have a decent amount of flavor without being heavy:
Smithwick's
Spaten Oktoberfest
Sunshine Wheat

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:45 am

I drink Bud Light.

Ice cold in a cooler.

While BBQ cooks on the grill on the deck.

Or from the back of my best friend's pick-up truck when we're down at the lake.

But I'm just a mid-west country boy who made good.

I didn't realize we had so many artistic-type Bogleheads with their fancy foreign beers and pretty bow ties. :)

stratton

Post by stratton » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:11 am

market timer wrote:I'd focus on diversity (mixed six-pack) and low expense ratio (purchased from a store, not a bar).

Here's my six pack, all of which I drink regularly:

1. Hitachino Red Rice Ale (Japan)
2. Rogue Dead Guy Ale (US)3. La Chouffe (Belgium)
4. Baltika #9 (Russia)
5. La Fin du Monde (Canada)
6. Beer Lao Dark (Laos)
They have a brew pub a 15 minute drive from me. It's better when it's fresh!

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

steersman

Post by steersman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:28 am

woof755 wrote:Visiting a friend in Hawaii in a week (a friend indeed!). Any beers there I shouldn't miss?
Woof, try the Maui Brewing Big Swell IPA if you like it hoppy and the Maui Brewing Bikini Blonde if you like it light. The big swell comes in a can but tastes fantastic.

Okole maluna! (bottoms up)
Dave

emp2b3

Post by emp2b3 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:14 am

I agree w/ some other posters that some things are worth the extra money, and it doesn't add up to that much when done in moderation.
Some favorite breweries/beers:
Bells: Two-hearted ale ; favorite IPA that is widely available regionally
Founders: Breakfast Stout for the depth of flavor
Dogfish Head: I actuallythink the Punkin' is the best pumpkin beer released, even if it varies a bit year to year
Boulevard: The entire Smokestack series, especially the Bourbon Barrel Quad, Sixth Glass, and Dark Truth Stout
Rogue: Chocolate Stout as is good for gatherings w/ people that otherwise don't like 'craft' beers
Deschutes: Black Butte Porter or Obsidian Stout; both are widely available regionally

Depending on the part of the country you live in, many 'craft' beers are not that much more expensive than the Bud Light type beers. Also, I second BeerAdvocate.com as a great resource for learning more about beer in general.

Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:25 am

This is indeed an eclectic bunch of beer people.

Yuengling makes an outstanding porter for those that like a darker beer. Another outstanding beer that is often overlooked, and brewed by the Corona people (Grupo Modelo) is Negra Modelo--an outsanding marzen/dunkel stye beer.

I've got at least two categories of beer: lawn mowing, on the deck beer (Strohs--18pk $9, Miller Lite) and good beer (Guinness, Bass, Smithwick, most anything by Great Lakes Brewing) I'm not a beer snob, though.

I've homebrewed and Charlie P. is the man, but who has time for that. Maybe I need to increase my batch size and start using cornelius kegs.

snyder66

Post by snyder66 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:32 am

Geez! I just don't understand the Yuegling Lager love fest. If you like lager, and, yes, this is a STYLE of beer, not the Yuengling brand name...May I suggest Brooklyn Lager or Stoudts Gold. I'm really loving the Samiclaus beer lately. They have an amazing depth of flavor, def. not an everyday sipper. I love Bells and well, can't go wrong with their beers. Avery makes some incredible beer. Victory as well.

soaring

Post by soaring » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:52 am

Guinness Stout (not the Draught) $9 six pack
Killians Red $12 for 12 pack
Desiderata

leo383

Post by leo383 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:23 am

I generally buy the Sam Adams seasonal 12 packs. Variety, and good beer at an okay price.

gd

Post by gd » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:25 am

Homebrew. Like any good hobby, it's easy to do adequately, and difficult to do well. Look for a homebrew store near you and buy a beginner's kit for under $100. It'll have all the devices you need for the next few years except bottles. The store can advise on ingredient kits. I have a few recipes I brew over and over- a black ale and a hefeweizen that are better than most of the stuff I buy in Germany, much less USA.
Use your local stores if you have them, but here is the standard kit on my small local guy's website:
http://www.nfghomebrew.com/catalog/prod ... ts_id=1077

Papazian is a classic reference, although I recently discovered he's considered dated in some of his techniques and opinions. I found a better one recently, I *think* it was John Palmer, "How to Brew". Got it from library and forgot exactly which. Once you get your bearings, Homebrewtalk.com is a good place to waste a lot of time on the internet if you don't do that enough.

Commercial I'd buy Saranac if I wasn't so cheap and it was more available in eastern MA. The Trail Mix sampler was great. Edited: for medicinal purposes, I drank Icehouse until they stopped selling it around me. Good for a cheap evening buzz.

scouter

Post by scouter » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:17 am

Guinness (draught)
Dogfish Head Chicory Stout
Highland Black Mocha Stout
Kona Pipeline Porter
Sierra Nevada Porter
Moose Drool
Heavy Seas Hang Ten
Blue Moon
Tecate
Dos Equis (Amber)
Chimay Ale

I only drink one beer a day, before dinner. So I like to make it one I really enjoy.

scouter

Post by scouter » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:19 am

Thanks for the inspiration to home brew. I have a friend who really got into it a few years ago, and eventually, his brews were outstanding. That's something I'm looking forward to doing when work slows down in a couple years.

baw703916

Re: How about Bogle wine?

Post by baw703916 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:44 am

Sheepdog wrote:How about Bogle wine? Boglehead beer? Not really, because I prefer wine.
We could do a blended combination of the two. I don't think that would pass most Bogleheads' stomach test, though! :shock:
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.

House Blend

Post by House Blend » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:48 am

Life is too short for cheap beer.

TylerS

Post by TylerS » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:18 pm

Speaking of cheap beer, my roommate and I are still buying 24 16oz. (pounders) of Keystone Light for $18...Once I turn 25 maybe I should upgrade to Coors Light :)

3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:37 pm

snyder66 wrote:Geez! I just don't understand the Yuegling Lager love fest. If you like lager, and, yes, this is a STYLE of beer, not the Yuengling brand name...May I suggest Brooklyn Lager or Stoudts Gold. I'm really loving the Samiclaus beer lately. They have an amazing depth of flavor, def. not an everyday sipper. I love Bells and well, can't go wrong with their beers. Avery makes some incredible beer. Victory as well.
If I do an online search Yuengling Lager costs half as much as the beers you listed. It's a good quality beer for a good price. The original question wasn't, what is the best beer... it asked for a Boglehead beer. Good taste at a great price... that's a Boglehead beer IMO.

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:49 pm

woof755 wrote: When you hit up the ABC store or wherever you get your beer - look out for Deschutes Brewery six packs. I found a few places (actually some in Kauai) that carried this beer (brewed in Oregon) and managed to pick up their Inversion IPA. It will be quite different than the beers you like, but Beeradvocate gives Deschutes pretty good ratings.
If you email Deschutes, you're likely to get a message back from my sister-in-law. So I'm biased, but their beers are consistently in the good to fantastic range. The Abyss is literally the best beverage I've ever had. Their other hard-to-find 22's like Mirror Mirror, Dissident, Black Butte anniversary series, are worth whatever price you find them for. If you're ever in Bend, the brewery has free tastings and free tours.

Deschutes Black Butte porter and Mirror Pond pale ale are my Boglehead beers of choice--found on sale for $6/sixer. But for a lover of good beer, I'll admit that the occasional daily drinker is "Simpler Times" from Trader Joes--$3/sixer, especially when drinking multiples.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

House Blend

Post by House Blend » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:57 pm

TylerS wrote:Speaking of cheap beer, my roommate and I are still buying 24 16oz. (pounders) of Keystone Light for $18...Once I turn 25 maybe I should upgrade to Coors Light :)
I recently spent a similar amount ($16) on a 6 pack of mix and match craft beers:

Dogfish Palo Santo Malo
Bell's Expedition Stout
Bell's Christmas Ale
Founder's Breakfast Stout
Founder's Porter
Edmund Fitzgerald Porter

Don't let it scare you, but you may see things my way in a decade or three. ;-)

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:06 pm

House Blend wrote:
TylerS wrote:Speaking of cheap beer, my roommate and I are still buying 24 16oz. (pounders) of Keystone Light for $18...Once I turn 25 maybe I should upgrade to Coors Light :)
I recently spent a similar amount ($16) on a 6 pack of mix and match craft beers:

Dogfish Palo Santo Malo
Bell's Expedition Stout
Bell's Christmas Ale
Founder's Breakfast Stout
Founder's Porter
Edmund Fitzgerald Porter

Don't let it scare you, but you may see things my way in a decade or three. ;-)
24 beers > 6 beers

That's how I did math in college, and it's how I do math today... :)

windscorpion

Post by windscorpion » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:24 pm

+1 Shiner (Bock)

... would love to taste Yuengling as I've heard so much about it but it's not available here in the west

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:24 pm

Agree on Yuengling.

Also, for those who want some international diversification in your beer, Asahi is usually the most affordable beer, and in my opinion the tastiest as well, that goes with sushi.

If you're interested in an emerging market beer, I nominate Modelo Especial. Also inexpensive and good.

mr.ajandkj

Post by mr.ajandkj » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:28 pm

Homebrewer here as well...

Favorite is a clone of Ninkasi Total Domination IPA.

Drinking right now:
Imperial Stout, 10.5% ABV, 1 bottle is sufficient for the evening. One of my best beers yet.
Winter Ale- This is a Widmer Brrr Clone, turned out pretty similar and very tasty.

Next Up: Pilsner Urquell clone...in lagering process right now, ready to drink in April.

ripper

Post by ripper » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Chimay!!!

hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 pm

rrosenkoetter wrote: 24 beers > 6 beers

Do 24 shares of some penny stock > 6 shares of VTI (@$68/share)?
Both are shares of some stocks.

You might want to rethink your math.
Last edited by hsv_climber on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rtngolf

Post by rtngolf » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:41 pm

Little sumpin sumpin Lagunitas Brewing Company good stuff

Ted Valentine

Post by Ted Valentine » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:50 pm

Yuengling is a great low cost "American style" lager that isn't pee water like Bud, Miller, etc.

The best budget-tight beer is PBR.

My favorite is a locally made brew, Yazoo. I have a growler that I go get filled about once a month. http://www.yazoobrew.com/home.php
Although our intellect always longs for clarity and certainty, our nature often finds uncertainty fascinating.

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:02 pm

Yuengling is the Boglehead Beer...Good value + Pennsylvania

But, I'd rather have:
-Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale
-Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald
-Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:06 pm

hsv_climber wrote:

I'm just being silly... It's pretty obvious many of you take your beer very seriously...

But in college, 24 beers for $10 always beats 6 beers for $10, no matter how good the 6 beers are.

And I still do the same math today...

I also still like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

What can I say, I'm not a man of refined taste... :)
Last edited by HomerJ on Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:07 pm

Perhaps the ultimate Boglehead beer is.....free beer.

monkey_business

Post by monkey_business » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:13 pm

In no particular order:

- Stella Artois
- Asahi/Asahi Black
- Sapporo
- Heineken Dark
- Nimbus Old Monkeyshine
- Four Peaks Kiltlifter

denismurf

Post by denismurf » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:38 pm

Another vote for PBR.
If you like your beer smooth and dry, give it a try. Hey, that's kinda catchy!
The low price is a bonus.

cubedbee

Post by cubedbee » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:48 pm

rrosenkoetter wrote:
hsv_climber wrote:

But in college, 24 beers for $10 always beats 6 beers for $10, no matter how good the 6 beers are.
I did a bit more math in college. Standard cheap domestic beer is 4-4.4% abv (alcohol by volume). Craft beers easily average 6 or 7%, and some go a lot higher. Since cheap beer does not taste good, you are drinking it for the alcohol, so you have to take that into account in your calculation.

A local bar has pints of Dogfish 90 minute IPA (9%) on happy hour special for $3.75, or Coors Light for $2 (4.2%). The Dogfish cost $2.61 per ounce of alcohol ($3.75 / (16 ounces * 9%) . Coors cost $2.97 per ounce of alcohol. It's cheaper to get drunk off the good beer in this case.

Frobie

Post by Frobie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:48 pm

Like a lot of you, beer is one of the few things I don't really scrimp on. If I'm in the mood for something in particular, I will buy it regardless of the price.

That being said, I still try to find bargains sometimes. One of the better quality-for-the price breweries is Shiner, as others have mentioned. I like their "bock" but it's probably in the bottom 50% of their brews, IMO. Their black lager, anniversary, and seasonal beers are generally better to me yet won't break the bank.

hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:53 pm

rrosenkoetter wrote: But in college, 24 beers for $10 always beats 6 beers for $10, no matter how good the 6 beers are.
Try this (cubedbee above showed some math on that) - buy 6 beers for $10, add water to get the equivalent of 24 beers.
Taste and alcohol contents at the end might actually match.

TylerS

Post by TylerS » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:56 pm

Cubedbee- You make a good point. I do take that into consideration at the bar. To clarify, I do enjoy beer other than Keystone Light :) I usually buy cheap at home, and splurge a little more at the bar with less watered-down options.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:17 pm

Heh, If I was going for pure alcohol/price points, I'd just make Everclear Jello shots...

Something else to consider in college - drinking games...

I'd much rather be chugging one of those 24 cheap beers than one of my 6 expensive beers...

Plus, I won't get upset if a buddy wants to mooch a couple of my 24 beers.

I also won't get upset (well, not too much) if I spill one of my 24 cheap beers...

In college, 24 cheap beers > 6 expensive beers

I am used to drinking cheap beer now, even though the reasons may no longer hold true... It still tastes good to me!

bac573

Post by bac573 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:30 pm

Another vote for Yuengling.

But living in Texas, about once a year I have to make a beer run to the Florida panhandle to stock up.
One thing to know about this town; not a person doesn't want me underground.

Beantown85

Post by Beantown85 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:09 pm

rrosenkoetter wrote:In college, 24 cheap beers > 6 expensive beers
Agreed. Thankfully I now make a lot more money, and even more importantly, drink a lot less beer. So I try and stay away from the cheapies for the most part.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:16 pm

Much closer to Vanguard (Malvern PA) than Yuengling is Victory Brewing Company (13 miles). Their Storm King, Hop Devil, and Golden Monkey are excellent. However, it's a bit more pricey than Yuengling and not as well distributed.

As a Boglehead beer, Yuengling has the edge on availability and pricing.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:33 pm

LadyGeek wrote:Golden Monkey are excellent.
+1,000

I see you're in my area - the Malvern Wegmans (near Wyeth/Pfizer) has quite the assortment of beer AND you can make your own six-pack. It's my new favorite beer stop (aside from driving to NJ).

Would love to find some Bell's Hopslam ...
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

woof755

Post by woof755 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:04 pm

monkey_business wrote:In no particular order:

- Stella Artois
- Asahi/Asahi Black
- Sapporo
- Heineken Dark
- Nimbus Old Monkeyshine
- Four Peaks Kiltlifter

I need to go back and amend my short list to include Stella.

Stelllllllaaaa!!!!!!
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:24 pm

DRiP Guy wrote:$5.19/single 22 oz beer?
I'd rather drink one bottle of really good beer than several bottles of mega-brewery domestic (yours or ours.)

My favourite beer is Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock.

Image.

But be careful. At 12% ABV one bottle packs almost as much wallop as a bottle of wine.

LikeYouImagine

Post by LikeYouImagine » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:35 pm

XtremeSki2001 wrote:
Keim wrote:Homebrewing: Indexing for beer snobs. 8)
How did you learn?
Anyone interested in learning how to homebrew can check out this free online book:

http://www.howtobrew.com

How I learned (beyond brewing with friends).

Also, the definitive homebrew forum:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com

geocache

Post by geocache » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:18 pm

rrosenkoetter wrote:I drink Bud Light.

Ice cold in a cooler.

While BBQ cooks on the grill on the deck.

Or from the back of my best friend's pick-up truck when we're down at the lake.

But I'm just a mid-west country boy who made good.

I didn't realize we had so many artistic-type Bogleheads with their fancy foreign beers and pretty bow ties. :)
I'm almost the same, except i'm a Miller Lite guy. I enjoy other beers but Miller lite is my goto beer. cheap too