Boglehead Beer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kenoryan
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:11 pm

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by kenoryan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:45 pm

The way I look at it, if I'm not using my time to make money, then I should be doing stuff that I enjoy. And I love hanging out in my garage making beer. It makes for a nice saturday morning activity and my buddy comes over to 'help'.

User avatar
XtremeSki2001
Posts: 1616
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:27 pm

kenoryan wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:45 pm
The way I look at it, if I'm not using my time to make money, then I should be doing stuff that I enjoy. And I love hanging out in my garage making beer. It makes for a nice saturday morning activity and my buddy comes over to 'help'.
Can't wait to personally do this myself. Hoping to do eBIAB. Need to wait until the kids are older :happy
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re:

Post by watchnerd » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:23 pm

DRiP Guy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:02 pm
YoungLion wrote:I drink Ninkasi Total Domination IPA. One on Friday night and one on Saturday night. I don't drink during the work week.

$5.19/single 22 oz beer?

:shock:

http://www.northwestliquidgold.com/prod ... -22oz.html#
That's actually pretty mid-price for a 22 oz craft beer.

Plenty more in the $7-10 range. Very few <$3 in that category.

I get my 64 oz growler filled at my local breweries, usually for about $20-25.
Tax Sheltered: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 30% TTM || Taxable: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 15% TTM | 15% Munis

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:52 pm

Since this thread has arisen from the dead, let me throw a question out there for the Philadelphia Bogleheads. DW and I have a visit to Philadelphia planned in the not distant future, and in scoping out some of the local joints we ran across something that caught our attention. Anybody ever been to the Flying Pig? They reportedly have a giant economy-sized beer lineup, which we both find intriguing.

Edit: the “giant economy-sized” was meant to refer to the variety of different beers offered, not to the size of the beers themselves. Sorry for the ambiguity. :beer
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

StrangePenguin
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:35 am

Re: Re:

Post by StrangePenguin » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:10 pm

watchnerd wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:23 pm
DRiP Guy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:02 pm
YoungLion wrote:I drink Ninkasi Total Domination IPA. One on Friday night and one on Saturday night. I don't drink during the work week.

$5.19/single 22 oz beer?

:shock:

http://www.northwestliquidgold.com/prod ... -22oz.html#
That's actually pretty mid-price for a 22 oz craft beer.

Plenty more in the $7-10 range. Very few <$3 in that category.

I get my 64 oz growler filled at my local breweries, usually for about $20-25.
For a 22oz, $5 is super cheap. Around $10 is standard and some are more. Keep in mind that the 22oz'ers are usually "extra special" beers, often high ABV.

Beer is one of my indulgences where I spend way more than I do in other aspects of life. I do try to do most of my drinking at home though, to somewhat keep the costs under control. (And I try to limit my consumption somewhat, more for health reasons than finance.)

gwrvmd
Posts: 791
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:34 pm
Location: Calabash NC

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by gwrvmd » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:36 pm

Another vote for PBR and Yuengling. I am 81. PBR kept my kidneys flushed from 18 to about 40 and Yuengling for the past 40 plus. Good stuff, both best as draft......Gordon
I am amused that PBR has come back as a niche "In Beer"
Disciple of John Neff

User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by watchnerd » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:40 pm

gwrvmd wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:36 pm
Another vote for PBR and Yuengling. I am 81. PBR kept my kidneys flushed from 18 to about 40 and Yuengling for the past 40 plus. Good stuff, both best as draft......Gordon
I am amused that PBR has come back as a niche "In Beer"
I think freshness is key to Yuengling. Yuengling is rare on the west coast, and if you find, it's usually skunked or otherwise bad. But when I've had it in the Pennsylvania / Delaware region, it was a nice example of American macro lager.
Tax Sheltered: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 30% TTM || Taxable: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 15% TTM | 15% Munis

User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Re:

Post by watchnerd » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:42 pm

StrangePenguin wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:10 pm
watchnerd wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:23 pm
DRiP Guy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:02 pm
YoungLion wrote:I drink Ninkasi Total Domination IPA. One on Friday night and one on Saturday night. I don't drink during the work week.

$5.19/single 22 oz beer?

:shock:

http://www.northwestliquidgold.com/prod ... -22oz.html#
That's actually pretty mid-price for a 22 oz craft beer.

Plenty more in the $7-10 range. Very few <$3 in that category.

I get my 64 oz growler filled at my local breweries, usually for about $20-25.
For a 22oz, $5 is super cheap. Around $10 is standard and some are more. Keep in mind that the 22oz'ers are usually "extra special" beers, often high ABV.

Beer is one of my indulgences where I spend way more than I do in other aspects of life. I do try to do most of my drinking at home though, to somewhat keep the costs under control. (And I try to limit my consumption somewhat, more for health reasons than finance.)
One of the great things about beer is that they most expensive beers I've seen were like $35-50 for a 750 ml bottle. You can get best in class beers for relatively low cost relative to wine.

In contrast to the wine world, where $35-50 is very nice, but a piker's price compared to the pricey stuff.
Tax Sheltered: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 30% TTM || Taxable: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 15% TTM | 15% Munis

MJW
Posts: 579
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by MJW » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:59 pm

gwrvmd wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:36 pm
I am amused that PBR has come back as a niche "In Beer"
It does seem to have taken on new life as the beer of choice for hipsters, or at least it did a few years ago. I suspect it's as much if not more of a novelty/ironic thing as it is that they actually enjoy drinking it.

User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by watchnerd » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:17 am

MJW wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:59 pm
gwrvmd wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:36 pm
I am amused that PBR has come back as a niche "In Beer"
It does seem to have taken on new life as the beer of choice for hipsters, or at least it did a few years ago. I suspect it's as much if not more of a novelty/ironic thing as it is that they actually enjoy drinking it.
And the influence of David Lynch's "Blue Velvet."
Tax Sheltered: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 30% TTM || Taxable: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 15% TTM | 15% Munis

User avatar
XtremeSki2001
Posts: 1616
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:27 am

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:52 pm
Since this thread has arisen from the dead, let me throw a question out there for the Philadelphia Bogleheads. DW and I have a visit to Philadelphia planned in the not distant future, and in scoping out some of the local joints we ran across something that caught our attention. Anybody ever been to the Flying Pig? They reportedly have a giant economy-sized beer lineup, which we both find intriguing.

Edit: the “giant economy-sized” was meant to refer to the variety of different beers offered, not to the size of the beers themselves. Sorry for the ambiguity. :beer
I think you meant The Blind Pig? Never been, but they’re draft list isn’t posted so can’t speak to what they have. I think when most Philadelphians think about a place for a large / eclectic beer selection they go to Monk’s Cafe.

Some others favorites ... Standard Tap, Memphis Taproom, Local 44, and plenty of others.

There’s no shortage of breweries accessible by mass trainsit ... Nodding Head, Yards, Earth Bread, 2nd Story, Dock Street, Crime and Punishment, Fishtown Brewpub, And if you don’t mind a short drive ... Tired Hands, Neshaminy Creek, Victory, and lots of others.

If you’ve never been to the city .. you can’t beat some pre dinner drinks and mussels at Monks and then a short walk to some of the great restaurants on Rittenhouse (Rogue, Devon, Parc, Barclay Prime). Just be prepared to spend some $$ :).
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

gvsucavie03
Posts: 1341
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:30 am

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by gvsucavie03 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:20 am

MJW wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:59 pm
gwrvmd wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:36 pm
I am amused that PBR has come back as a niche "In Beer"
It does seem to have taken on new life as the beer of choice for hipsters, or at least it did a few years ago. I suspect it's as much if not more of a novelty/ironic thing as it is that they actually enjoy drinking it.
My wife and I are 33/37 and we buy it because it is the best "cheap" beer. It's good beer without paying Michigan craft beer prices.

chipperd
Posts: 335
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:58 am

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by chipperd » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:24 am

Hobbit Juice: A double IPA from Beer'd Brewing in Stonington, CT. Hard to find but if you are near the brewery, def. worth the trip

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:04 am

XtremeSki2001 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:27 am
I think you meant The Blind Pig?
No, I double-checked, it's the Flying Pig. We ran across it on Tripadvisor. I looked up the address, though, and it appears it's not in Philadelphia proper but somewhere out west maybe 15 miles or so. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the suggestions.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

User avatar
camper
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:51 pm
Location: My side of the mountain

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by camper » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:16 am

Here are some I have enjoyed recently.
Founders Dirty (edited) Bastard
Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate
Sam Smith's Taddy Porter
Wells Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale
Last edited by camper on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

MJW
Posts: 579
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by MJW » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:58 am

With fall coming up are there any Octoberfest brews you guys like to buy around this time of year?

User avatar
XtremeSki2001
Posts: 1616
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:07 am

MJW wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:58 am
With fall coming up are there any Octoberfest brews you guys like to buy around this time of year?
In the Philly area ... Weyerbacher - Imperial Pumpkin, Dogfish - Head Punkin, Neshaminy Creek - Punkless Dunkell.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 48591
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:14 am

^^^ I've been disappointed in pumpkin beers and no longer seek them out. Have you had those beers before?

What do you think of Neshaminy Creek, which is in the Philly area?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
XtremeSki2001
Posts: 1616
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:28 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:14 am
^^^ I've been disappointed in pumpkin beers and no longer seek them out. Have you had those beers before?

What do you think of Neshaminy Creek, which is in the Philly area?
I’m over Pumpkin beers, but these are the best ones I’ve ever had. I really like Neshaminy Creek (in Croydon/Bensalem area) overall ... their pumpkin beer may be hard to come by but it’s a dunkelweizen with pumpkin so a unique take compared to what other brewers are doing.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

User avatar
House Blend
Posts: 4501
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Re:

Post by House Blend » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:08 pm

StrangePenguin wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:10 pm
watchnerd wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:23 pm
DRiP Guy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:02 pm
$5.19/single 22 oz beer?
:shock:
That's actually pretty mid-price for a 22 oz craft beer.

Plenty more in the $7-10 range. Very few <$3 in that category.

I get my 64 oz growler filled at my local breweries, usually for about $20-25.
For a 22oz, $5 is super cheap. Around $10 is standard and some are more. Keep in mind that the 22oz'ers are usually "extra special" beers, often high ABV.

Beer is one of my indulgences where I spend way more than I do in other aspects of life. I do try to do most of my drinking at home though, to somewhat keep the costs under control. (And I try to limit my consumption somewhat, more for health reasons than finance.)
+1. Life is too short for mediocre beer.

I thought that $8/22oz for Dragon's Milk from New Holland at my local beer snob emporium was a bargain. On the other hand, I did recently see Dogfish 120 minute IPA on a shelf for the first time ever. I think it was marked at $5.20 for a 12oz bottle. Seemed a bit too pricey for what it is.

That plus the fact that I actually like Dogfish 60 better than Dogfish 90 was enough to convince me to try something else. To me, Dogfish 90 tastes like somebody added straight alcohol to what could have been a perfectly good IPA.

(I do like IPAs both single and double-- Voodoo Ranger Imperial from New Belgium is one of my current favorites.)

User avatar
House Blend
Posts: 4501
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by House Blend » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:16 pm

camper wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:16 am
Here are some I have enjoyed recently.
Founders Angry Bastard
Prolly you meant Dirty Bastard, or the barrel-aged version Backwoods Bastard.
Both get a thumbs up from me. :sharebeer

As for other Scotch Ales, I've yet to try Scotty Karate from Dark Horse. I came close to trying Under the Kilt from Dragonmead, but the first bottle I opened produced a volcanic eruption of foam and most of it ended up on the kitchen counter. Will be a bit more careful with the next bottle.

User avatar
camper
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:51 pm
Location: My side of the mountain

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by camper » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:31 pm

House Blend wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:16 pm
camper wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:16 am
Here are some I have enjoyed recently.
Founders Angry Bastard
Prolly you meant Dirty Bastard, or the barrel-aged version Backwoods Bastard.
Both get a thumbs up from me. :sharebeer

As for other Scotch Ales, I've yet to try Scotty Karate from Dark Horse. I came close to trying Under the Kilt from Dragonmead, but the first bottle I opened produced a volcanic eruption of foam and most of it ended up on the kitchen counter. Will be a bit more careful with the next bottle.
That's the one. Next trip to Total Wine, I will try the Backwoods.

IPS&IPA
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:36 pm

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by IPS&IPA » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:45 pm

My latest favorite beer

Revenant IPA
Lost Coast Brewery, Eureka, CA.

from their website: Revenant IPA has full-bodied flavor from rich Pale malts generating a light amber hue. A blend of Simco and Citra hops to generate a unique and lively citrus aroma and flavor. This is a very refreshing IPA suitable for hopheads and everyone else, as well.
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses. Jake: Hit it.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 48591
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:24 pm

I'm not an IPA fan, but am currently drinking Yards IPA - another Philly area brewery that has been around for quite some time. Not bad.
House Blend wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:08 pm
+1. Life is too short for mediocre beer.

I thought that $8/22oz for Dragon's Milk from New Holland at my local beer snob emporium was a bargain. On the other hand, I did recently see Dogfish 120 minute IPA on a shelf for the first time ever. I think it was marked at $5.20 for a 12oz bottle. Seemed a bit too pricey for what it is.

That plus the fact that I actually like Dogfish 60 better than Dogfish 90 was enough to convince me to try something else. To me, Dogfish 90 tastes like somebody added straight alcohol to what could have been a perfectly good IPA.

(I do like IPAs both single and double-- Voodoo Ranger Imperial from New Belgium is one of my current favorites.)
I've recently seen Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA for $10/bottle (NJ liquor store). When it first came out, I was amazed how different it was from the 90 minute IPA. Fast forward to today, my tastes have changed and would agree that the Dogfish head 60 is the better choice.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

FireAway
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:56 pm

Re: Re:

Post by FireAway » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:33 pm

DRiP Guy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:02 pm
YoungLion wrote:I drink Ninkasi Total Domination IPA. One on Friday night and one on Saturday night. I don't drink during the work week.

$5.19/single 22 oz beer?

:shock:
You're always going to take it in the shorts when buying 22oz bombers. Total Domination is often available at my Costco, for ~$27 a case - less than $7 per six pack of 12oz bottles. That's a steal for a good beer.

MJW
Posts: 579
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by MJW » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:47 pm

House Blend wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:16 pm
As for other Scotch Ales, I've yet to try Scotty Karate from Dark Horse.
Not a huge Scotch ales fan, but it would be hard to pass up trying something called Scotty Karate. :happy

health teacher
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:27 am

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by health teacher » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:03 pm

Anyone have/like a coffee blonde?

Ive had this style a few times, but cant seem to get my hands on it anywhere near me. Its basically a blonde ale which is racked on coffee beans during secondary fermentation so it keeps its golden color. You get coffee on the nose with a nice blonde ale taste with a coffee finish.

lazydavid
Posts: 1852
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by lazydavid » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:00 pm

camper wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:16 am
Here are some I have enjoyed recently.
Founders Angry Bastard
I don't think this is a thing. I've enjoyed both of these beers:

Founders Dirty Bastard (Scotch Ale)
Stone Arrogant Bastard (Aggressive Strong Ale)

But I don't recall Founders making a beer called Angry Bastard. Google isn't aware of it, and neither is Founders Brewing Company.

seychellois_lib
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:05 am

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by seychellois_lib » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:23 pm

As a Sailor on passage in a small boat (30 foot sloop) with no refrigeration, one must go for best taste warm. Schlitz wins the warm beer competition IMHO.

MichCPA
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by MichCPA » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:28 pm

gvsucavie03 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:20 am
MJW wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:59 pm
gwrvmd wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:36 pm
I am amused that PBR has come back as a niche "In Beer"
It does seem to have taken on new life as the beer of choice for hipsters, or at least it did a few years ago. I suspect it's as much if not more of a novelty/ironic thing as it is that they actually enjoy drinking it.
My wife and I are 33/37 and we buy it because it is the best "cheap" beer. It's good beer without paying Michigan craft beer prices.
Michigan craft beer is totally worth the price for a special occasion, but you need to identify cheaper substitutes if you are a regular drinker. Blue Moon is close to Bell's Oberon and there are a decent amount of bourbon barrel options that work in place of New Holland Dragon's Milk. Newer breweries often have a bit of a discount compared to the established options.

User avatar
camper
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:51 pm
Location: My side of the mountain

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by camper » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:12 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:00 pm
camper wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:16 am
Here are some I have enjoyed recently.
Founders Angry Bastard
I don't think this is a thing. I've enjoyed both of these beers:

Founders Dirty Bastard (Scotch Ale)
Stone Arrogant Bastard (Aggressive Strong Ale)

But I don't recall Founders making a beer called Angry Bastard. Google isn't aware of it, and neither is Founders Brewing Company.
As discussed above, it was my mistake...Founders Dirty Bastard.

JDDS
Moderator
Posts: 960
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:24 pm

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by JDDS » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:13 am

I tend to buy expensive beer, and I generally like to try things on draft or in single bottles, shying away from unknown 6 packs--because I might know in the first sip that a beer is not for me. Based on a rec. A few days ago I bought a six pack of Kujo, a col press coffee porter (6%) from Flying Dog. It's now gone and I'll have to see if I can get another, super enjoyed this one. There's a weird story about a dog on the bottle that I've since been informed is because Kujo is the name of a Stephen King novel/movie.

Cheers to the return of stout season!

User avatar
Flymore
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 1:31 pm

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by Flymore » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:05 am

I like lager beers over IPA.
Moosehead beer is my favorite Canadian lager beer.
Check it out. :sharebeer

User avatar
XtremeSki2001
Posts: 1616
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:41 am

JDDS wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:13 am
Cheers to the return of stout season!
Cheers to this! My stout inventory is high and ready for consumption.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

barreg
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by barreg » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:19 am

If you like beer and you like bourbon, you'll like Founder's Backwoods Bastard. Tyranena's Rocky's Revenge is another good beer with bourbon hints, a brown ale aged in bourbon barrels. Not sure if it's available outside Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana.

health teacher
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:27 am

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by health teacher » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:28 am

Backwoods Bastard is available in WV. I didn't like it though. I do like barrel aged beers at times, but this one didn't do it for me. I think I prefer the oaky taste rather than the bourbony taste I got from BB.

I did have Rogue's Hazlenut Brown Nectar last night and it really hit the spot.

health teacher
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:27 am

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by health teacher » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:32 am

JDDS wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:13 am
Based on a rec. A few days ago I bought a six pack of Kujo, a col press coffee porter (6%) from Flying Dog. It's now gone and I'll have to see if I can get another, super enjoyed this one. There's a weird story about a dog on the bottle that I've since been informed is because Kujo is the name of a Stephen King novel/movie.

Cheers to the return of stout season!
You might like Southern Tier's Coldpress Coffee Pumking. Might be able to find it in a 22oz, but I know it's available in 4 packs of 12oz bottles. I almost bought it yesterday, but for $15 a 4 pack I didn't want to take the chance of being underwhelmed. You try it first and tell me if it's good.

Edited to add: It's not a stout though. It's a pumpkin beer.
Last edited by health teacher on Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

dknightd
Posts: 940
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by dknightd » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:34 am

I mostly use Saranac Pale Ale

Post Reply