Boglehead Beer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Hayden

Re: Boglehead Beer

Postby Hayden » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:16 am

Just had Firestone Walker Velvet Merlin. Wonderful oatmeal stout!

roymeo

Postby roymeo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:10 pm

Hayden wrote:Just had Firestone Walker Velvet Merlin. Wonderful oatmeal stout!

originally Velvet Merkin, but the board which approves labels wouldn't approve the name.

http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/products/velvet-merkin
http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/products/velvet-merlin-fall-and-winter
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

XtremeSki2001

Postby XtremeSki2001 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:13 pm

Finally got into my stash to celebrate the birth of my daughter ... and did it the right way. Enjoyed a Dogfish Head 120 Minute (Double IPA) bottled on July 22, 2015, just like I have with my two boys. Also enjoyed a 2015 Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) (Belgian Quad). Each were delicious.

Would love to try a Velvet Merkin.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

stilts1007

Postby stilts1007 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:04 pm

roymeo wrote:

originally Velvet Merkin, but the board which approves labels wouldn't approve the name.

They do release "Velvet Merkin" in limited quantities in 22oz bombers once a year, it is a barrel-aged version of Velvet Merlin and quite delicious. Definitely worth checking out if you like big boozy stouts. I had my 2016 bottle last night as a matter of fact.
Cheers!

JDDS

Postby JDDS » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:23 pm

stilts1007 wrote:
roymeo wrote:

They do release "Velvet Merkin" in limited quantities in 22oz bombers once a year, it is a barrel-aged version of Velvet Merlin and quite delicious. Definitely worth checking out if you like big boozy stouts. I had my 2016 bottle last night as a matter of fact.
Cheers!

I was lucky enough to be within the distribution footprint when this dropped. I bought two bottles, and I had the first on Tuesday night. It was quite tasty; I would buy again, but it's too much $ to buy a bunch of them. This was my first Firestone Walker barrel aged beer--I've heard great things.

westcoast

Postby westcoast » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:52 pm

Crux half hitch Double IPA by Crux Fermentation Project. Very smooth with excellent hop flavor and low bitterness.

BruDude

Postby BruDude » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:03 am

JDDS wrote:
stilts1007 wrote:
roymeo wrote:

Cheers!

I was lucky enough to be within the distribution footprint when this dropped. I bought two bottles, and I had the first on Tuesday night. It was quite tasty; I would buy again, but it's too much $ to buy a bunch of them. This was my first Firestone Walker barrel aged beer--I've heard great things.

Just wait until you try Parabola or the anniversary beers...

BruDude

Postby BruDude » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:03 am

JDDS wrote:
stilts1007 wrote:
roymeo wrote:

Cheers!

larklea

Postby larklea » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:01 am

Whatever hoppy beer Costco has in stock, usually around $22 a case. Last trip it was Sierra Nevada. Trip before that it was Karbach. Love craft beer, but I refuse to pay more than $7 a six pack. When I lived in the Midwest, I could get Boulevard Pale Ale at a reasonable price. If you're in the Houston area and you can find it, try the Back Pew Brewing Hopostle or Ninth Circle Black IPA. They'll put hair on your chest.

Back when I home brewed, I could make a 5 gallon, all grain batch for under $40. That's nine six packs and it's a ton of fun.

Candor

Postby Candor » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:19 pm

Legend Brown Ale. A local brewery in Richmond, VA and I've yet to find a beer that I like more although I've certainly put in a lot of effort to that end.

BruDude

Postby BruDude » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:22 pm

Had a Bruery Tart of Darkness and Founders Backwoods Bastard last night. Both A+

JDDS

Postby JDDS » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:35 pm

BruDude wrote:
JDDS wrote:
stilts1007 wrote:
roymeo wrote:

Cheers!

I've always wanted to try Parabola, and I got a similar tip[ about the anniversary ones just the other day. Unfortunately my home doesn't get any, I'll have to talk a friend (who doesn't like beer) into getting me some of the others.

XtremeSki2001

Postby XtremeSki2001 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:01 am

Finally, FINALLY managed to get my hands on a 4-pack of Heady Topper today. A colleague of mine, coming back from Vermont, was nice enough to grab me some. Really looking forward to trying it ...

BruDude wrote:Had a Bruery Tart of Darkness and Founders Backwoods Bastard last night. Both A+

Backwoods Bastard was a pretty intense beer. Would buy again, but I couldn't handle more than one. That said, Scotch Ale's aren't one of my favorites ... I like the bourbon-aged more so when it's an imperial stout.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

batpot

Postby batpot » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:09 am

BruDude wrote:Had a Bruery Tart of Darkness and Founders Backwoods Bastard last night. Both A+

Have you any Cascade sours?
They are phenomenal. We always have a few whenever we go to Portland, and often bring some bottles home.

BruDude

Postby BruDude » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:34 am

batpot wrote:

They are phenomenal. We always have a few whenever we go to Portland, and often bring some bottles home.

Yes, they're very good, but way too expensive for bottles. Lot of good sours out there for less than $25-30/bottle.

batpot

Postby batpot » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:44 am

BruDude wrote:Yes, they're very good, but way too expensive for bottles. Lot of good sours out there for less than $25-30/bottle.

Even in Seattle, they are rarely more than $25/bottle. They're about the same price as bottles from The Bruery.

But we were down at the Stone Brewery in San Diego a few months ago, and they had a Cascade on their bottle list for $60. :shock:

BruDude

Postby BruDude » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:50 am

batpot wrote:
BruDude wrote:Yes, they're very good, but way too expensive for bottles. Lot of good sours out there for less than $25-30/bottle.

Even in Seattle, they are rarely more than $25/bottle. They're about the same price as bottles from The Bruery.

But we were down at the Stone Brewery in San Diego a few months ago, and they had a Cascade on their bottle list for $60. :shock:

They're all $25.99-49.99 here. Most are around $30

letsgobobby

Postby letsgobobby » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:04 pm

BruDude wrote:
batpot wrote:

Yes, they're very good, but way too expensive for bottles. Lot of good sours out there for less than $25-30/bottle.

tasters are $1.50-$2 at the brewery. one or two is enough for me but they are great.

millennialfalcon

Postby millennialfalcon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:15 pm

larklea wrote:Whatever hoppy beer Costco has in stock, usually around $22 a case. Last trip it was Sierra Nevada. Trip before that it was Karbach. Love craft beer, but I refuse to pay more than $7 a six pack. When I lived in the Midwest, I could get Boulevard Pale Ale at a reasonable price. If you're in the Houston area and you can find it, try the Back Pew Brewing Hopostle or Ninth Circle Black IPA. They'll put hair on your chest.

Back when I home brewed, I could make a 5 gallon, all grain batch for under $40. That's nine six packs and it's a ton of fun.

Thanks for the tip on the Hopostle. I am in the Houston area, and I will look for it.

sid hartha

Postby sid hartha » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:32 pm

How have I missed this thread!

Near me there are many many 12 packs for about $12-$15. I like german styles and bought a 12 pk of hacker pschorr oktoberfest. I also like British style Ales and so have a 12 of Cisco Whale's Tale at home as well. both $12 for a 12 pk. Six packs are normally $10 so this is a no brainer.

In the summer radeberger pilsner is also a cheap option for me.

I splurge and buy six packs for $10 all the time. You only live once! And there are many local places making good beers.

But when I splurge big, I like Belgian styles. My favorite now is the Sixth Glass Quad by Boulevard. But is $10 for a 4 pk, I guess compared to St. Bernardus or something like that it's a bargain.

gd

Postby gd » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:17 am

Recently was amazed to discover an area big-box liquour store sold Koestritzer (a.k.a. Kostritzer with umlaut over the o), german black beer. An uncommon style even there, mild and smooth. The brand has expanded in the last 5 years, I think, becoming more common in Bavaria and apparently now here. A bit pricey by my standards (almost $8/6), but cheaper than a flight to Germany. Saranac had a black beer that was comparable, but hard to find around me except for part of Christmas-season "trail mix" specials.

JDDS

Postby JDDS » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:53 am

JDDS wrote:
BruDude wrote:
JDDS wrote:
stilts1007 wrote:
roymeo wrote:

Cheers!

I've always wanted to try Parabola, and I got a similar tip[ about the anniversary ones just the other day. Unfortunately my home doesn't get any, I'll have to talk a friend (who doesn't like beer) into getting me some of the others.

As part of the holiday season I had to travel about 45 minutes from home. There's a great store right near my destination, and lucky me, I found just one bottle of Firestone Walker 20th anniversary on the shelf! I have not had it yet...

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:00 pm

Just tried Prairie Bomb. Boy is that good! Super creamy with a slightly peppery finish.

dsmil

Postby dsmil » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:40 am

The holiday time is always my favorite for beer.

My current fridge lineup:

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (nothing represents the holidays more than this for me)
Founders Breakfast Stout (also an every-year purchase at this time)
Founders Backwoods Bastard (first time trying and it's very good, although I'll resort back to Founders Dirty Bastard for a scotch ale at a better price)

Coming soon....Troegs Nugget Nectar!

health teacher

Postby health teacher » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:16 pm

I currently have Great Lakes BC- Ohio City Oatmeal Stout on tap. It's good, but it's no Founders Breakfast Stout. I'm not dissatisfied with the choice, but it doesn't blow me away. I guess it's pretty tough to drink 2 cases of a particular beer and be blown away every time.

JDDS

Postby JDDS » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:26 am

Hayden wrote:Just tried Prairie Bomb. Boy is that good! Super creamy with a slightly peppery finish.

+1, I have had this 3 times and liked each time! I wish the availability was better and the price cheaper.

dsmil wrote:The holiday time is always my favorite for beer.

My current fridge lineup:

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (nothing represents the holidays more than this for me)
Founders Breakfast Stout (also an every-year purchase at this time)
Founders Backwoods Bastard (first time trying and it's very good, although I'll resort back to Founders Dirty Bastard for a scotch ale at a better price)

Coming soon....Troegs Nugget Nectar!

I have both of those Founders beers in my fridge right now, though the stout is much more my favorite. I've had two Troegs but not that one.

My fridge also has Stone Xocoveza, some Schlafly stouts and a few other things which I'd like to move along (beers for taking to NYE).

rockonhumblepie

Postby rockonhumblepie » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:35 am

Garage beer is Bud Lite Lime when on sale or Kokanee.
In the house is New Castle Brown( it'll sure smack ya' down) or one of many NW craft brews(yes on sale). :sharebeer

usnaron

Postby usnaron » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:47 pm

In San Diego you can get a 24-pack of Stone IPA for about $27 at COSTCO....best deal around.

dsmil

Postby dsmil » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:59 pm

JDDS wrote: I've had two Troegs but not that one.

If Troegs distributes to your area than I highly recommend you trying it. It's their signature beer and will start showing up throughout January.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/694/15881/

TylerS7

Postby TylerS7 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:04 pm

Relatively new to bogleheads. First time seeing this topic pop up so I thought I would join in. I have some Todd The Axe Man (by Surly) in my fridge for me. And some Odell Loose Leaf Session Ale for everyone else. Buffalo Trace on the bar if I want to sip a whiskey.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”