Boglehead Beer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BrooklynInvest

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by BrooklynInvest »

Huge fan of 6 Point and Brooklyn beers in general.

Sweet Action a great beer. It's a bit lighter but their "The Crisp" is one of my go to's when I'm having, um, more than one.

Brooklyn Chocolate Stout is an excellent winter beer.
batpot

Post by batpot »

letsgobobby wrote:I have a new top 5 beer. It's just phenomenal.

Breakside Brewing IPA. Been around a bit, but I had never tried it. On tap in the Couve at Gustav's for $3 for an imperial pint (or something - bigger than a pint). Available in the bottle in WA, OR, and HI, and of course on tap at the brewery on Dekum St in Portland (right around the corner from one of our favorite restaurants, the Firehouse).

Winner of numerous awards. Wow, so good.

http://oregoncraftbeer.org/breakside-br ... -the-gabf/

Another beer I'm liking right now is Heathen Brewing Vantucky Pale Ale. Been drinking this for about 5 months. This is a local beer, as in 10 minutes from my house and across the road from my synagogue:

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-2 ... en%29.html

Available in the bottle locally, but doubt nationally.

Finally, when I was in a dive bar in Rochester, MN last fall, the barkeep asked where I was from, what I was looking for, etc. When he heard PDX, he digs down in this fridge and pulls out a tall orange can of Surly Furious. "Here, I think this is what you're looking for," he says. Oh yeah. Awesome. Get it if you can find it - brews in MN.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13014/28203/
The wife and I were down in PDX for Zwickelmania on Valentine's Day, but unfortunately couldn't make it up to Breakside.
Heathen I hadn't heard of, but will have to check them out next time we're down that way.

One place we never miss when there is Cascade Barrel House; they'll have north of a dozen sour beers on tap at any given time. The Honey Ginger Lime is in frequent rotation and is an all time favorite.
http://www.cascadebrewingbarrelhouse.com/
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

My family and I are on vacation right now and I'm sipping on a Huma Luma Licious from Shorts Brewing Co. in Bellaire, MI. Delicious and very floral India pale ale. This beer is quite refreshing!
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

Michigan has so much great beer... I should be a lot more broke and fat than what I am!
camper

Post by camper »

I picked up some Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro today. Excellent.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

Wondering if anyone here home brews? Specifically electric home brew?
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
Anks

Post by Anks »

XtremeSki2001 wrote:Wondering if anyone here home brews? Specifically electric home brew?
Long time home brewer here! I went electric a few years ago (using plans from here). In my opinion, it is way too much complexity for my needs, so I went back to a single kettle brew-in-a-bag style. My new place does not have 220V power available so my e-brew rig was useless. I definitely value the portability and ease of use for a more basic setup.

BTW, for those who haven't brewed before I highly recommend it! Very easy to make a great tasting beer with a basic setup. Very hard to make the same beer twice twice, but if you give up the idea of making a very particular brew, you'll be brewing stress free. Really cheap beers too once you get your equipment, plus you magically start getting a lot more friends hanging around your house :D
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

dbCooperAir wrote:A FYI,

Its National Beer Day!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_B ... ed_States)
Thanks!! I read this post just in time. A last minute change to dinner has been incorporated...

Update: It seems we missed New Beer's Eve (April 6).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
avenger

Post by avenger »

Thanks for the announcement! I picked up a six pack today in honor of it. :sharebeer
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, VWITX, SV fund]
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

avenger wrote:

Thanks for the announcement! I picked up a six pack today in honor of it. :sharebeer
:sharebeer
acanthurus

Post by acanthurus »

Removed
Last edited by acanthurus on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

LadyGeek wrote: Update: It seems we missed New Beer's Eve (April 6).
Untappd didn't give me a badge for the beer I had yesterday, thus it's not a real holiday. :)
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
PandaParty

Post by PandaParty »

Boulevard Wheat is my go-to beer. But I'll spring for Boulevard's Tank 7 when I'm feeling fancy.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

PandaParty wrote:Boulevard Wheat is my go-to beer. But I'll spring for Boulevard's Tank 7 when I'm feeling fancy.
I tried a few Boulevard brews recently. Tasty and very affordable.
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

A little of topic, we are starting to see so many micro breweries coming online have any of you gave a little seed monies to help a cause?

We have a young brother sister team starting a mirco brewery, first one town. They did a Kick Starter campaign and I made a small donation. Well not really a donation as I will get a class and a shirt or something.

The best part is I will get my name on a plaque in the tap room, priceless :wink:
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
stilts1007

Post by stilts1007 »

dbCooperAir wrote:A little of topic, we are starting to see so many micro breweries coming online have any of you gave a little seed monies to help a cause?
I put in $20 bucks to a kickstarter-type fund to help a local brewery raise money to open up a tap room. Their beer isn't my favorite in the area (I'm blessed to live in an area with a LOT of good local beer), but they are a nice couple of people, close-by, small, and seem to be into the whole "community brewery" thing. Once it opens (should be this summer) my first pint's free and I get to keep the glass. Not a bad trade-off.
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

I'm a part owner of the Three Floyd's Brewpub in Munster, IN, attached to the brewery.
And donated to Ferment.Drink.Repeat a Nano Brewery, Homebrew Supply, and Brewery Incubator in SF during their CrowdBrewed fundraising campaign.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

Looks like a great place. It has very good reviews.
psychoslowmatic

Post by psychoslowmatic »

I just had a Brooklyn Brewery Sorachi Ace this weekend. Saison style with a hop called Sorachi Ace that's been used in Japan for a while, and once I read that I could tell the similarity to Sapporo or Asahi aroma but with a more robust body. I really enjoyed it and will be getting more:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/45/51480/
SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill »

All time favorite when I can get is.............free beer. :beer
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

roymeo wrote:I'm a part owner of the Three Floyd's Brewpub in Munster, IN, attached to the brewery.
And donated to Ferment.Drink.Repeat a Nano Brewery, Homebrew Supply, and Brewery Incubator in SF during their CrowdBrewed fundraising campaign.
As part owner, please do your part in getting 3F's to PA :sharebeer
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

I know there are many from SE PA on here so if you like hops make sure you get a 4-pack of Shape of Hops to Come, made by Neshaminy Creek Brewing in Bucks County. It won't last long.

http://neshaminycreekbrewing.com/2015/0 ... -july-1st/
avenger

Post by avenger »

Probably my all-time favorite (another Dogfish Head) is Palo Santo Marron. A bit tipsy after one beer as it is 12% ABV but it is delicious. Almost wine-like.

Dogfish Head's description: "An unfiltered, unfettered, unprecedented brown ale aged in handmade wooden brewing vessels. The caramel and vanilla complexity unique to this beer comes from the exotic Paraguayan Palo Santo wood from which these tanks were crafted. Palo Santo means "holy tree," and its wood has been used in South American wine-making communities. This highly roasty and malty brown ale clocks in at 12% ABV. A huge hit at our Rehoboth Beach brewpub when first released in November 2006, Palo went into full production at the end of 2007."
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, VWITX, SV fund]
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Shock-Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat.

It's like drinking a Philly soft pretzel. The bouquet is one of bread yeast. There's an underlying spice mixed in with a somewhat pretzel-like taste of wheat beer. Interesting.

A favorite? No, but it's worth trying when you're in the mood for something off the beaten path.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

LadyGeek wrote:Shock-Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat.

It's like drinking a Philly soft pretzel. The bouquet is one of bread yeast. There's an underlying spice mixed in with a somewhat pretzel-like taste of wheat beer. Interesting.

A favorite? No, but it's worth trying when you're in the mood for something off the beaten path.
Intriguing! I can't wait to try it--hope it makes it to my market.

Beer and wine seem to be two things that I become less Bogleheadish about as time goes by :sharebeer
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

LadyGeek wrote:Shock-Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat.
I had a pint of this recently. It wasn't bad at all. Like LG said, it was something different that wasn't spectacular, but didn't disappoint.

The wife, kids, and I visited VT, NH, and ME a couple weeks ago. I had several good beers, but the one that really suprised me was the Pemaquid Oyster Stout. It is a chocolatey/coffee like stout with a slight mineral/sand/salt finish. I felt like I should have been on a pier watching the sun set over the ocean.

I also enjoyed the Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale. It was a "beer" with a blueberry finish not a soda with alcohol like some of the mainstream fruity beers. I wouldn't mind grabbing a six pack for a refreshing drink on a hot summer day.
onepocket

Post by onepocket »

So, if I were to balance taste and value, here's my go to list:

1) Spaten Optimator on draught
2) Bell's Hopslam Ale
3) Natural Light or Coors light mixed with either Clamato or Zing Zang (approximately 1/3 Clamato or ZZ to 2/3 beer), for some reason this really hits the spot in the summer after mowing the lawn.

Also, just a reminder to stay the course during the recent market swoon. My wife and I will have no trouble at all sleeping well tonight and I hope the rest of y'all are able to do the same.
HawaiiBrewer

Post by HawaiiBrewer »

I brew the beer I drink. Home Brewer for 17 yrs using single infusion all grain 1/2 barrel system. Have brewed most styles except any "sour" beers....lambic type. BJCP certified beer judge.

Prefer to drink IPAs and Porters......but appreciate any good craft beer.

Beer is food. :beer

Aloha
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I like to drink a good straight beer without any additives, a beer brewed according to German purity rules. The Sam Adams Oktoberfest is too sweet for me.
shanefairman

Post by shanefairman »

I will agree if looking for a Bogglehead beer Yuengling lager is likely the winner. Unfortunately their distribution hasn't made it to me in Michigan.

The real value in beer is buying in bulk in cans. But the problem is your aren't likely to find a good craft beer that markets a 24 pack of craft beer. Yuengling lager is an exception to this. if it's in your area it bakes a great house beer to keep in stock.

In the dirty 30 pack size you really aren't going to find craft quality or flavor but Rolling Rock or Hamm's beat a lot of other awful beers in that size.

As for 24 packs available in my area my go to cheap beer is Molson Canadian. Yuengling lager would be preferred but maybe in the next few years.

In the 12-15 pack range Founder's All Day IPA is a great value for a good beer. Many craft beers will sell some of their beers in a 12 or 15 pack size. This is typically the best value in craft beer. If you want to get the best value in craft find a 12 pack

Once you get to 6 packs you lose the value bulk pricing. Even bad beer is expensive in a 6 pack. There are some good beers Under $2 per bottle. Lagunitas has a lot of good beers for that price point.

4 packs are not cheap. I will spend $20+ for a quality 4 pack. But there are some good values from Dark Horse on their Scotty Karate and others.

I say stock one or 2 cheaper 24 or 30 packs for a house beer. Then supplement with craft beer.
“You must not only think for yourself, you must plan for yourself, and you must plan ahead, and you must live up to these plans. You must know exactly what you want to do.” -George Carlin, Boston Rant
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

I love Firestone's Easy Jack - cheap 6-pack at Trader Joe's - but the calories for Beer during the season kill. I prefer a 30 pack of MGD 64 for 19.99. Wets the whistle and will be one less thing to blame my lack of six-pack abs.
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

1. Yuengling Lager when we are in Florida or on the east coast since it isn't available in the midwest.
2. Dos Equis, dressed..that is, in a glass with salt around the rim and a slice of lime..can't be beat.
3. Pacifico
Sibelius

Post by Sibelius »

Yuengling is a great bargain on tasty beers. Black and Tan is my favorite in the 12-pack carton.
HawaiiBrewer

Post by HawaiiBrewer »

Rest assured your lack of six pack abs is not from drinking good, craft beer....
http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/06/13/bee ... re-a-myth/

:sharebeer
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

likegarden wrote:I like to drink a good straight beer without any additives, a beer brewed according to German purity rules. The Sam Adams Oktoberfest is too sweet for me.
I'm not sure if you're trying to draw some sort of connection between those 2 sentences. I can make a dry or sweet beer that follows reinheitsgebot (assuming you allow for yeast which the law predates the understanding of). Corn and rice are the most common adjuncts used in all the 'dry' macro beers (American Light Lagers, Super Dry Japanese, etc.) which is not reinheitsgebot compliant. Throw in wheat for the same purpose and you'll cover even more of the light n dry craft spectrum.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

i think a true boglehead would drink water.

our costco just started to sell costco branded (kirkland) beer. 46 cents a can. can't wait til it gets cold...
dowse

Post by dowse »

Agree on Yuengling, especially Black and Tan.

A couple of NH micro-brews that I like:

Pig's Ear Ale - N. Woodstock, NH
Tuckerman's - Conway, NH. They make a pale ale, stout and an alt.
blgaarder

Post by blgaarder »

harrychan

Post by harrychan »

True Boglehead Beer arrangement here.

Good friend works at Miller and gets all beer for the price of CV. I've been very blessed to be able to try each beer under their label at close to 10 cents a bottle!
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet »

I am somewhat surprised to see so few Canadian beers listed. Labatt's Blue is my go to beer. Fresh tasting and 14 bucks for a 18 pack at the local Rite Aid.
When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.
autonomy

Post by autonomy »

fourwaystreet wrote:I am somewhat surprised to see so few Canadian beers listed. Labatt's Blue is my go to beer. Fresh tasting and 14 bucks for a 18 pack at the local Rite Aid.
I see your Canadian lager and raise you anything from Quebec. Unibrou is pretty wide-spread, St. Ambroise is starting to get imported. Lots of local Montreal and Quebec City breweries too. And if you're ever in Quebec City proper, do not miss La Barberie. Mmm.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

camper wrote:I picked up some Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro today. Excellent.
I love that stuff. Been drinking it quite frequently lately.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

fourwaystreet wrote:I am somewhat surprised to see so few Canadian beers listed. Labatt's Blue is my go to beer. Fresh tasting and 14 bucks for a 18 pack at the local Rite Aid.
I've been know to enjoy a Canadian lager from time to time. I was the best man in a wedding in Syracuse, NY last summer and Labatt's Blue was the beer of choice for the wedding party. We were hiding them behind our backs during the way to long period of taking pictures. At least we got to drink beer during the picture hour which made it somewhat bearable. I don't see many Canadian beers consumed here in Louisiana though. (drinking a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale right now).
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

BIGal wrote:1. Yuengling Lager when we are in Florida or on the east coast since it isn't available in the midwest.

I try to go to the Alabama Gulf coast at least once a year. Beautiful beaches and affordable vacation condos are what draws most people there. For me it's the fact that Alabama is the closest state that sells Yuengling. (although I do enjoy the beaches and condos as well.) Black and Tan is always my choice but I do like the lager. I usually have to bring several 12 packs home for various friends. It's interesting how they don't distribute nationally.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
RyeGuy

Post by RyeGuy »

+1 for homebrewing. I sample craft brews and then brew what I like for a lot cheaper. I do 10 gallon batches for usually less than $50 bucks. At less than 50 cents a beer I'd say that's bogleish. And it's an excuse to go drink beer in the garage while I do it.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

RyeGuy wrote:+1 for homebrewing. I sample craft brews and then brew what I like for a lot cheaper. I do 10 gallon batches for usually less than $50 bucks. At less than 50 cents a beer I'd say that's bogleish. And it's an excuse to go drink beer in the garage while I do it.
What's your setup like? Propane? Electric? It's the equipment that's a killer. Saving for an electric system right now.
RyeGuy

Post by RyeGuy »

XtremeSki2001 wrote:
RyeGuy wrote:+1 for homebrewing. I sample craft brews and then brew what I like for a lot cheaper. I do 10 gallon batches for usually less than $50 bucks. At less than 50 cents a beer I'd say that's bogleish. And it's an excuse to go drink beer in the garage while I do it.
What's your setup like? Propane? Electric? It's the equipment that's a killer. Saving for an electric system right now.
I go propane in an old keg I cut the top off. And I brew in a bag. Keeps it simple and only one vessel. I agree, the equipment can kill you if you let it.
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

Has anybody tried the Coors Light Radler seasonal beer introduced this summer? Absolutely delicious.
jrtexas

Post by jrtexas »

miles monroe wrote:i think a true boglehead would drink water.

our costco just started to sell costco branded (kirkland) beer. 46 cents a can. can't wait til it gets cold...
I wonder who actually brews it for them? Best it's a good brewery. Costco usually goes for quality.