0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fishboat

Re: 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil

Post by fishboat » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:44 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:07 am

I will take advantage though the rebate is limited to participating retailers and Costco isn't one of them, and neither is Walmart. Those stores have the cheapest Mobil1 in my area. But with the rebate I still come out ahead.
I've been buying 2 x 5qt jugs of 0w-20 from Walmart the last two years and submitted the rebate. Rebate was honored without issues both times. This is also the case with lots of guys on Toyota Tundra forums.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:07 pm

Juice3 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:40 am
Amazon has entered the car parts and supplies space since this thread started.

Offerings are quart to drum sizes for oil.
I've bought a couple of 5 quart bottles from Amazon. Pricing isn't the best, but good enough, and I avoid rebates. You can do better with rebates at Walmart and other places. It's convenient, and I just got a bottle recently delivered, but I could tell it was liquid from moving the box. I did have a liquid sent by amazon spill once (thankfully not at my home). Their packing isn't always the best (sometimes they wrap liquids in plastic in case of spills), and I wonder if it's worth the trouble of cleaning up a motor oil spill which is eventually going to happen if becomes a regularly delivered product. Hopefully they get better at protecting against these events.

A 55 gallon drum would be a lifetime of oil changes, unless I started advertising on craigslist and doing changes for the neighborhood.

snowman

Post by snowman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:26 pm

Nicolas wrote:

I will take advantage though the rebate is limited to participating retailers and Costco isn't one of them, and neither is Walmart. Those stores have the cheapest Mobil1 in my area. But with the rebate I still come out ahead.
This promo has been going on for many year. Walmart is not listed, but you will get rebate anyway. Not only that, I buy the oil at Walmart when it's on sale for 22 instead of usual 25 during the promo period, than promptly upload receipt on Mobil website and submit my rebate online. They never missed the rebate check in all those years.

You can also buy Mobil 1 oil filter at the same time, and your rebate check will be 17 instead of 12. So all in all complete synthetic Mobil 1 oil change will cost you 15 (22+10-17=15). If you have access to quality filter for less than 5, just buy the jug of oil for 10 after rebate.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:48 pm

snowman wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:26 pm
Nicolas wrote:

This promo has been going on for many year. Walmart is not listed, but you will get rebate anyway. Not only that, I buy the oil at Walmart when it's on sale for 22 instead of usual 25 during the promo period, than promptly upload receipt on Mobil website and submit my rebate online. They never missed the rebate check in all those years.

You can also buy Mobil 1 oil filter at the same time, and your rebate check will be 17 instead of 12. So all in all complete synthetic Mobil 1 oil change will cost you 15 (22+10-17=15). If you have access to quality filter for less than 5, just buy the jug of oil for 10 after rebate.
+1. I do the very same thing.

You'll know when the rebate is on when Walmart is consistently out of the 0W-20 jugs. Use the app first to see which store says it's in stock if you have multiple locations around you, or buy online and pickup in-store.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:41 pm

fishboat wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:44 pm
Nicolas wrote:

I've been buying 2 x 5qt jugs of 0w-20 from Walmart the last two years and submitted the rebate. Rebate was honored without issues both times. This is also the case with lots of guys on Toyota Tundra forums.
OK! Maybe I’ll buy at Costco instead as they’re cheaper even than Walmart and submit the receipt for the rebate. Maybe I’ll get lucky like you guys.

Also I think I’ll skip the Mobil1 filter rebate as I prefer Fram filters. The Fram synthetic oil filter is probably just as good and I really like the “grippy” textured finish on the Frams. They’re so much easier to screw on and off. I’ve been using them for years.

strafe

Post by strafe » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:39 pm
There are four cars in our family...three require/can use 0W-20 synthetic motor oil (Lexus LS460; Honda CRV and Toyota Corolla). The other (Lexus RX330) needs 5W-30 and I used synthetic last time. I am/plan to run all four vehicles for 10,000 miles/1 year, which ever comes first. Please let's NOT turn this into a discussion of the benefits/drawbacks of synthetic vs dino oil and longer versus shorter oil changes.

What I wanna know is where to buy the oil the cheapest. I figure all four cars will require about 35 quarts, total, although the RX330 requires a separate spec as described above. I cannot do my own work so I'll have to pay to have it done. The best value is usually getting the oil where they do the labor but you never know what you're really getting and I'd prefer to buy the stuff and bring it in.

Thoughts?
Toyota retroactively spec’d the 3MZ-FE motor in your RX330 to allow 0w-20. Technically the technical service bulletin only applied to 2006 models but the motor was unchanged from 2004-06. I would just use 0w-20 in all your cars and not sweat it.

As far as where to buy the oil cheapest, check out the “Bob Is the Oil Guy” subforum on promotions and rebates. Usually Pennzoil and Mobil1 (both top tier synthetics) offer rebates hat bring the cost to about $2-3/qt.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:20 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:12 am
My 7 year dormant thread comes alive!
Do you still have any of those cars? :happy

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:37 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:20 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:12 am
My 7 year dormant thread comes alive!
Do you still have any of those cars? :happy
Nope!

jeffh19

Post by jeffh19 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:26 pm

I refuse to go to Walmart for anything

well except oil because it's so damn cheap there :oops: :mrgreen:

Keep an eye out on slick deals or wherever for the Mobil 1 rebates, I'm *pretty sure* they are going on right now, and I know some people were combining them with Auto Zones oil change special, but that deal was greyed out earlier on SD, so they might not allow that anymore. People were buying 5qts of M1 and an M1 filter for 13 bucks after rebate. The filter alone cost that much....

Anyway, with the rebate a couple months ago I got a couple gallons for 12 bucks each I think. I do horrible with rebates and never factor them into pricing, but you can do it online and you get the rebate very quick.

To compete with WM, auto parts stores will have Oil and filter combos for a really good deal, but often not as cheap as WM

M1 Advanced Fuel Economy is a very good oil, and not that far off of M1 EP from what I remember. I run M1 AFE in my car with an AC Delco filter, and in my GFs car I run M1 AFE 0w20 with a Motorcraft filter. Motorcraft is always really good quality stuff at a very good price. M1 oil is better though, but if your looking for bang for the buck 0w20 or a filter, Motorcraft cant really be beaten.

I'm kind of an oil nerd, or I used to be more so than I am now. Huge pet peeve of mine to see people run synthetic oil and a good filter and still do 3-5k oil changes.