0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Leesbro63

0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:39 pm

There are four cars in our family...three require/can use 0W-20 synthetic motor oil (Lexus LS460; Honda CRV and Toyota Corolla). The other (Lexus RX330) needs 5W-30 and I used synthetic last time. I am/plan to run all four vehicles for 10,000 miles/1 year, which ever comes first. Please let's NOT turn this into a discussion of the benefits/drawbacks of synthetic vs dino oil and longer versus shorter oil changes.

What I wanna know is where to buy the oil the cheapest. I figure all four cars will require about 35 quarts, total, although the RX330 requires a separate spec as described above. I cannot do my own work so I'll have to pay to have it done. The best value is usually getting the oil where they do the labor but you never know what you're really getting and I'd prefer to buy the stuff and bring it in.

Thoughts?

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:45 pm

No need to use 0W-20 or 5w-20 according to this:

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/5w20oil.htm

Ricola

Post by Ricola » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:54 pm

I would say you could buy the oil itself cheapest at Walmart. Last year Mobil was the only 0-20wt available and is was $6 qt. I normally change oil myself in our other cars, but I also have a 2010 Corolla and have the oil changed at the dealer because the Corolla is too low to the ground and requires ramps. Cost is $50-60 and includes the 0-20wt synthetic. I also go 10K between changes.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:59 pm

0W ??? This has to be just a label for thin to 20W. Really what a multi-viscosity oil is, is one that keep a fairly steady viscosity at varying temperatures. Or one that, for example, stays at about 20W, anywhere from -60 Deg. F. all the way up to 200 Deg. F.

I don't know; but the 0W-20W designation might mean it retains its flow at extremely low temperatures, even more so than the 5W-20W. So it might be better in cold areas, like Grand Forks, MN. I'd ask your dealer.

Best regards, Tet
RESISTANCE IS FRUITFUL

UrbanMedic

Re: 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil

Post by UrbanMedic » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:10 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:There are four cars in our family...three require/can use 0W-20 synthetic motor oil (Lexus LS460; Honda CRV and Toyota Corolla). The other (Lexus RX330) needs 5W-30 and I used synthetic last time. I am/plan to run all four vehicles for 10,000 miles/1 year, which ever comes first. Please let's NOT turn this into a discussion of the benefits/drawbacks of synthetic vs dino oil and longer versus shorter oil changes.

What I wanna know is where to buy the oil the cheapest. I figure all four cars will require about 35 quarts, total, although the RX330 requires a separate spec as described above. I cannot do my own work so I'll have to pay to have it done. The best value is usually getting the oil where they do the labor but you never know what you're really getting and I'd prefer to buy the stuff and bring it in.

Thoughts?
Just get a few 5 quarts jugs of whatever is on sale at Advance, Walmart, etc... It always rotates between quaker state, pennzoil, castro, etc..

I think the best value in oil is the Motorcraft 5w-20 blend. It ranges between 11 and 13 dollars at WalMart.

You might find some great deals on the Advance Auto Parts website. They always have coupons for X off Y. Like $10 off $50 or $25 off $125. Search slickdeals.net or retailmenot for some codes.

UrbanMedic

Post by UrbanMedic » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:13 pm

pshonore wrote:No need to use 0W-20 or 5w-20 according to this:

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/5w20oil.htm
That website is hard objective considering they are an Amsoil sales website.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:13 pm

You might try to find a trusted dealer. Yea, I know, an oxymoron.

If you will not be installing your own oil, there may be little advantage to buying oil cheaply. Why? Most service departments don't like using walk-in oil as they lose the oil markup. Most will charge you extra to use your oil, thereby defeating any advantage of buying it cheaply.

If you can find a trusted dealer, you know the work will be done right. Plus, they can fix your other little problems at the same time.

Suggestion. Call your vehicle's US manufacturer and try to get the name of your local dealer with the highest customer satisfaction rating. (They may not give you the name. Why? Would take business away from the poorer performing dealers and annoy them.)

If your local trusted dealer has service specials, you could use those to lower your costs. Using standard oil and their service special, my local dealer charges ~$30 for oil/filter/lube. I can't do the work for less than that, so no longer do it for myself. Instead, I walk across the street, get lunch and read a book for an hour.

I've used the quickie oil change places a few times and was always uncomfortable so no longer use them. (How can anyone cross-thread a coarse-thread drain plug?)
Last edited by dratkinson on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

norookie

Post by norookie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:49 pm

:D Suggestion, I changed oil for a decade. Running a repair shop. I mix 1 qt synthetic with standard 5-20W. Yes, I mix, how horrid. :evil: I'm also into a few core indexes, a few managed LT sectors, and IMO beaten down single equities. The station I have now charges 20bucks. >shrug< Shuts off the 'idiot' lights, and replaces the oil filter, with the balance of oil needed. After my 1 5dollar 'synthetic'. I get 7-8k miles a change, for 160k now! :wink:
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:55 pm

norookie wrote::D Suggestion, I changed oil for a decade. Running a repair shop. I mix 1 qt synthetic with standard 5-20W. Yes, I mix, how horrid. :evil: I'm also into a few core indexes, a few managed LT sectors, and IMO beaten down single equities. The station I have now charges 20bucks. >shrug< Shuts off the 'idiot' lights, and replaces the oil filter, with the balance of oil needed. After my 1 5dollar 'synthetic'. I get 7-8k miles a change, for 160k now! :wink:
Not sure if you were joking or what you said, but it doesn't sound kosher.

Anyway, with 4 cars in the family, it's more an issue of PITA. Once a year (or maybe in 9 months) each with 4 cars is much less hassle than twice a year.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:03 pm

Also I guess my concern is that the dealer/installer won't really use synthetic. Although, as I think this by typing, there's no guarantee they won't keep MY synthetic and put their dino goop in either. I guess I outta find a place where I can SEE what goes in. Not that stuff in a large container can't be tampered with either.

beareconomy

Post by beareconomy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:06 pm

Try the toyotanation forum. They can help you out with this question.

NAVigator

Post by NAVigator » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:12 pm

I'm not sure why you distrust dealers about switching oils. I have used Mobil 1 for 30 years and have never questioned what was used. I have never heard of any dealer switching oil for a customer.

One place I went to said I can bring my own oil if I wanted to, so I bought it at Walmart which was the cheapest I could find.

Jerry
Last edited by NAVigator on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."

Adrian Nenu

Post by Adrian Nenu » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:25 pm

I use synthetic oil and change the oil myself. Some outfits are dishonest and charge you for synthetic but use the cheaper bulk regular oil. And/or don't bother to change the filter (I caught Wal-Mart doing this).

Wal-Mart usually has the cheapest synthetic oil. I recently bought a 5 qt. jug of Quaker State for $14. Motorcraft is also a good deal at times. You have to keep an eye out for sales.

Adrian
anenu@tampabay.rr.com

norookie

Post by norookie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:44 pm

-deleted- This LT needs work, its constantly posting twice.
Last edited by norookie on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

norookie

Post by norookie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:44 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
norookie wrote::D Suggestion, I changed oil for a decade. Running a repair shop. I mix 1 qt synthetic with standard 5-20W. Yes, I mix, how horrid. :evil: I'm also into a few core indexes, a few managed LT sectors, and IMO beaten down single equities. The station I have now charges 20bucks. >shrug< Shuts off the 'idiot' lights, and replaces the oil filter, with the balance of oil needed. After my 1 5dollar 'synthetic' qt. I get 7-8k miles a change, for 160k now! :wink:
Not sure if you were joking or what you said, but it doesn't sound kosher.

Anyway, with 4 cars in the family, it's more an issue of PITA. Once a year (or maybe in 9 months) each with 4 cars is much less hassle than twice a year.
I was not joking, although allot of my posts are taken out of context. Honda/Acura(same thing w/trim,Toyota/Lexus(same thing w/trim and premium costs!) oil change manual says every 5-7.5K miles. I managed my uncles shop for 10yrs FT through schooling. So much of what the average uninformed car owner knows is "sold" to them. I'd equate it to someone having finally figured out their appetite for their AA.Unless you worked it early in life your more likely to get taken by fees and loads.. Plus IMO 0W is akin to water, when I used to do that stuff it was the 60s-70s. 10-30/10-40W. Then the motors became tighter engineering wise, and last longer. Hence a lighter oil to penetrate the tighter tolerances involved consistently. JMO

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:07 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:Also I guess my concern is that the dealer/installer won't really use synthetic. Although, as I think this by typing, there's no guarantee they won't keep MY synthetic and put their dino goop in either. I guess I outta find a place where I can SEE what goes in. Not that stuff in a large container can't be tampered with either.
You could ask if they would allow you to watch. If they will and are not offended at the request, that says a lot about them.

I'm very pleased with my current dealer's service department (but I went through a lot of bad ones to find them). In the beginning, I made it clear that I was very particular about their servicing of my 20 yo vehicle. I brought it to this point in its life, and they better not mess it up or I'm gone.

In the beginning, they went out of their way to satisfy me. They still do. The difference is now I trust them and no longer require as much hand holding. I've been using them for about 10 years and the same service personnel are still there.

If you can find a service department that always deals with you openly and does everything they say they will do for the quoted price---no surprises---then you will come to consider the money you pay them well spent. After several years of such good treatment they will build up enough good will/trust with you that you will find you can tolerate an occasional unexpected surprise with grace.

Having a trusted service department do the work is certainly much easier than crawling under the car and doing your own work. The only downside is you are no longer as familiar with your vehicle.

It's been 10 years since I was last under mine to service it. I mentioned this the last time I was in for service. They invited me back to look under/inspect my vehicle and helped me identify some new leaks I didn't know I had. Minor stuff and I'll have the rear engine or front transmission seal replaced when I replace my clutch.

Hope you find a good shop. When you do, buy your oil from them---it's a small differential price to pay over the price of discounted oil. Certainly a good dealer will not stock any unrecommended oils.

A good shop should not cheat you and if you require a non-stocked oil, they can probably handle (for a fee) your walk-in oil requirement, too.

SamB

Post by SamB » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:35 pm

Here is a link for Honda parts/oil.

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-Moto ... -9XXX.aspx

I buy filters and some tools and fluids from this business, but if you buy oil the shipping charge may negate the low price per quart.

Sam

petunias

Post by petunias » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:49 pm

I have bookmarked the sites for Autozone and Advance Auto Parts. Then I check out their promotional flyers when it's time to change oil, or whenever I'm thinking about car maintenance. When the Mobil-1 is on sale, I stock up. There may be different chains in your area.

I honestly haven't considered WalMart. I suspect they'd be the cheapest place when not on sale, but the sale prices at the chains might be below the regular price at WalMart.

-petunias

Dagwood

Post by Dagwood » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:28 am

Leesbro63 wrote:There are four cars in our family...three require/can use 0W-20 synthetic motor oil (Lexus LS460; Honda CRV and Toyota Corolla). The other (Lexus RX330) needs 5W-30 and I used synthetic last time. I am/plan to run all four vehicles for 10,000 miles/1 year, which ever comes first. Please let's NOT turn this into a discussion of the benefits/drawbacks of synthetic vs dino oil and longer versus shorter oil changes.

Thoughts?
I think that this is a bad idea, in general.

Buy the oil for the Honda at the Honda dealer. Honda is a PITA in that while they are great cars, many of the fluids, oil and ATF included, are proprietary blends that have additive packages that are not typically available in the off-the-shelf products. While I doubt the car would immediately implode if you used something else, given the potential expense involved I would just get the oil that is spec'd for the car, and get it from Honda.

I also note that you state "can use" the 0w-20. You should be using what is the primary viscosity, which in a newer Honda is 5w-20 IIRC, not a type that falls within the potential temperature gradient but that is not the primary. Not that it is a huge difference, but 0w-20 has virtually no film at start-up, whereas the 5w-20 does.

As regards the Lexus, doesn't the LS460 cost in excess of $75k, IIRC? You are going to bring your own oil for an oil change on that car? Be prepared for some strange looks and perhaps some resistance. And rest assured the techs working on your car will be laughing at you. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it is what it is, and it's likely not the best way to promote someone to take maintaining your very expensive car in a serious and sober manner. Moreover, it strikes me as odd, to say the least, to buy a car at that price point and then be concerned about the maintenance costs to the point where you bring the oil. The other thing is that the motor in that car is not an uncomplicated affair and so it strikes me as very possible that Lexus / Toyota has a prop blend for it -- an oil that is a standard viscosity (say 5w-40 but I have no idea what it is) but that has a prop additive package. Again, check the manual but I would be a bit wary of using an off-the-shelf oil in such a high-end and beautiful car if Lexus has a specific requirement. At the very least you'll do no damage but if there is a problem down the line Lexus might not cover it under the warranty. Again, not saying that would be right, but it is a headache I would avoid given the cost of the car and the savings involved.

Driving is expensive. Driving higher end cars is more expensive. If you want to keep costs down drive less and drive cheaper cars. The way you are proceeding is likely to cause you more headaches and aggravation than ideal.

And in case anyone is interested, you can mix dino and synthetic oil. However, this again is a bad practice because you are losing the longevity of the synthetic oil by mixing it, and raising the cost of an oil change as compared to a straight dino oil change. Pick one of the other. Hedging can be good but in this case it falls into the "waste of time" category.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:35 am

Leesbro63 wrote:Also I guess my concern is that the dealer/installer won't really use synthetic. Although, as I think this by typing, there's no guarantee they won't keep MY synthetic and put their dino goop in either. I guess I outta find a place where I can SEE what goes in. Not that stuff in a large container can't be tampered with either.
I guess if I felt that I could not trust a place enough to put in the oil that I am paying for, I would not trust them to work on my car at all. Is there really no dealer or independent shop that you would trust enough to just go there and get an oil change, without going though all this extra hassle of bringing your own oil and then watching them put the oil in?

Maybe you should go one step further with the paranoia...tell them you want them to drain the oil, change the filter (I guess you would have to witness that too, though) and then roll the car out to the parking lot where you can pour the new oil in yourself. :wink:

If using synthetic meant I had to buy the oil and then watch it getting poured in, I think I'd just get conventional oil changes at 6 mo/5000 miles.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

Cloud

Post by Cloud » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:39 am

Back to the OP's qustion. 5 Quart jugs at Walmart would be the cheapest. They carry quite a few oils.

Stonebr

Post by Stonebr » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:53 am

1. Suggest you refer to:

www.bobistheoilguy.com

the web's largest and most authoritative forum/website on automotive lubricants. If you still have a question, ask it on their forum.

2. I can't imagine taking oil to a service station and asking them to use it for a change. They'll look at you like you have two heads.

3. I don't see why you can't do it yourself. Go ahead, get your hands dirty with the rest of us d-i-y-ers! You'll know exactly what's in your car(s), you'll know it was done right, and you'll develop a much more intimate relationship with them. I love my babies.

Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:39 am

Wow, this is a tough group. Leesbro, I think your idea is fine. I like to simplify my oil changes as well. One oil change every year or 10k miles is fine with synthetic; however be certain to spec a high quality filter as well. Also, just because you're good for about a year, it doesn't mean it doesn't need checked and/or topped off periodically (my daughter thinks it means it never needs to be checked).

Ditto other posters that Walmart is a good price for the Mobil 1 (5 qt), get the Extended Performance. Also, if you do some checking with Toyota/Lexus, you'll find that the 0w-20 is fine for your RX330 as well.

Dagwood (edited, sorry for the misspelling), you're certainly correct that Honda and Toyota have some proprietary fluids, but motor oil is not one of them (I used to purchase it OEM, so I know this for a fact).

Norookie, your blending of syn and dino is a false economy in my opinion. Oil companies will do that for marketing purposes and profitabiltiy (they rarely tell you how much syn is in the blend). Blending compromises some of the attributes of the syn--why do that? Your 160k mile testomonial can be achieved with high quality dino oil alone, why waste money. I do think an argument could possibly be made if you're in severe conditions (many short trips, cold starts, etc.), but you'd still be better served with a full syn in that case as well.

One of the best posts I've ever read on automotive engine oil, by an automotive enthusiast, Dr. Ali Haas: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.ph ... s_articles.
If you only read half the article you'll know more than most certified auto mechanics.
Last edited by Frugal Al on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:00 am

Thanks for the support, FrugalAl.

Question: Can you point me to a source that shows 0W-20 is OK for my 2006 RX330? That would be great and make thing simple for me.

wander

Post by wander » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:01 am

Thoughts?
If you cannot change oil by yourself, you don't need to worry about buying stuff and bring in. Unless you stand there to observe, you will never know what they will do with your car. Sometimes, they just forget (the person who take oil from you is not the guy who changes your oil). I use synthetic and change it by myself every 10,000 from day one. So far, it has almost 300,000 on it and still running. Because I use synthetic, I do not want a mechanic to mistakenly uses regular oil.

infecto

Post by infecto » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:37 am

Dagwood: Yes Honda's do have specific oils for most components but not the engine itself.

Its perfectly fine to bring oil and a filter to get a change.

Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:21 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:Thanks for the support, FrugalAl.

Question: Can you point me to a source that shows 0W-20 is OK for my 2006 RX330? That would be great and make thing simple for me.
A friend of mine runs it, and he claims it was approved by his Lexus dealership. I would check with your dealer to for the best assurance, but there isn't much difference in viscosity at operating temperature and it's much better at start-up. It meets the ILSAC GF4 and SM specifications. Most of the manufacturers were not on the 0w-20 bandwagon for the 2006 model year vehicles. In later model years your engine, 3MZ-FE, Toyota/Lexus spec'd the 0W-20 weight oil in the owner's manual.

There is a TSB that approves 5w-20 for the 2006 3MZ engine, but it does not specifally list the 0w-20, which I find puzzling. I would urge you to double check with your dealership to be certain.

When you get the oil changed, be certain to request the empties and any remaining leftover oil to ensure the proper oil was used.

Dagwood, I have to apologize for some misinformation. It's come to my attention that Toyota does now have a 0w-20 synthetic, proprietary spec, oil that contains a moly additive. People used to think Honda oil contained moly, but it was the residual moly from manufacturing process that was skewing the oil analysis results. I have to say that if I owned a Prius, with a constantly starting and stopping engine, I'd probably use the Toyota spec oil in it.

Dagwood

Post by Dagwood » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:19 pm

It's not a problem Frugal Al.

As far as Honda engine oil, I recall a number of years Honda oils had a special designation having to do with the fact that they were resistant to "thickening" and oxidation. My understanding this was very important given that relatively recent Honda motors are running various versions of its variable valve timing on one or both camshafts. Maybe other more standard oils now meet this designation, but the point I was trying to make was broader in the sense that given the savings that can be found by buying your own oil -- not much in my experience -- and the potential downside -- Honda, for example, is a stickler on using their own fluids -- I wonder why you would bother. Not trying to be obnoxious, or to sound rude, it's just seems like a case of being penny-wise and pound foolish.

wander

Post by wander » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:04 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:39 pm
What I wanna know is where to buy the oil the cheapest.
Costco and Walmart are the places I go for oil. Look for coupons from Autozone (on the mail) for oil sale. Cheapest place for oil change is in your car garage.

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:24 am

The last couple years Mobil has been doing a rebate offer in the spring..$12 back for each of (max 2) 5 quart jugs. Basically 50% off. I use 0w-20 Mobil 1 in my Toyota 5.7L and will be looking for the rebate again this year..

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:12 am

My 7 year dormant thread comes alive!

emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:15 am

If you are really skeptical about any place you go to, then yes, the best thing to do is use conventional oil.

This way you know that you need to change it every so often and have no doubts if they used synthetic or not.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:38 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:12 am
And resurrected by one of the original responders, no less!

Juice3

Post by Juice3 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:40 am

Amazon has entered the car parts and supplies space since this thread started.

Offerings are quart to drum sizes for oil.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:16 pm

Walmart is the answer to the OP question

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:21 pm

FYI
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20, $27 plus free shipping for a 6-pack of 1 Quart Bottles at Costco until Sunday.

ZapRowsdower

Post by ZapRowsdower » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:27 pm

fishboat wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:24 am
The last couple years Mobil has been doing a rebate offer in the spring..$12 back for each of (max 2) 5 quart jugs. Basically 50% off. I use 0w-20 Mobil 1 in my Toyota 5.7L and will be looking for the rebate again this year..
This is exactly what I do, they've been pretty consistent the last few years offering this rebate twice a year. When they do go buy a couple jugs at walmart and get your rebates in.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:28 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:12 am
BTW I used to work at Advance Auto at Corporate (35% discount) and used to bring my own oil and was never looked at in a strange way.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:59 pm

Wal-Mart's SuperTech brand has excellent ratings. It would be hard to beat it on price, and free two day shipping to your door is convenient.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:55 pm

ClevrChico wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:59 pm
Wal-Mart's SuperTech brand has excellent ratings. It would be hard to beat it on price, and free two day shipping to your door is convenient.
But I don't think it's available in 0W-20 synthetic

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:59 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:55 pm
ClevrChico wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:59 pm
But I don't think it's available in 0W-20 synthetic
You are correct, I stand corrected. It looks like only name brands are available in synthetic 0w 20. The cheapest possibly being Castrol at around $20 at Walmart for 5 qts.

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Is changing just the filter and topping off any lost oil still a thing? I've heard that some people do that.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:14 pm

TLC1957 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:21 pm
FYI
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20, $27 plus free shipping for a 6-pack of 1 Quart Bottles at Costco until Sunday.
Valvoline 0W 20 synth $21.97 (non-prime) with free shipping (actually in my order and en route) on amazon
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

lws6772

Re:

Post by lws6772 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:06 pm

norookie wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:49 pm
:D Suggestion, I changed oil for a decade. Running a repair shop. I mix 1 qt synthetic with standard 5-20W. Yes, I mix, how horrid. :evil: I'm also into a few core indexes, a few managed LT sectors, and IMO beaten down single equities. The station I have now charges 20bucks. >shrug< Shuts off the 'idiot' lights, and replaces the oil filter, with the balance of oil needed. After my 1 5dollar 'synthetic'. I get 7-8k miles a change, for 160k now! :wink:
You reminded me why I have changed my own oil for the last 43 years.
Rule 1. Never lose money. Rule 2. Never forget Rule 1.

Luke Duke

Re: Re:

Post by Luke Duke » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:03 am

lws6772 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:06 pm
norookie wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:49 pm
You reminded me why I have changed my own oil for the last 43 years.
Yep. I think that I've done every oil change myself since I got my first car, except for when I was in college and had no place to work on cars.

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:03 am

ZapRowsdower wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:27 pm
fishboat wrote:
The last couple years Mobil has been doing a rebate offer in the spring..$12 back for 5 quarts or 5 quart jugs. Basically 50% off. I use 0w-20 Mobil 1 in my Toyota 5.7L and will be looking for the rebate again this year..
This is exactly what I do, they've been pretty consistent the last few years offering this rebate twice a year. When they do go buy a couple jugs at walmart and get your rebates in.

FYI..Mobil has the rebate on again..I don't see the usual max of 2 rebates restriction, but it may be there somewhere. They do say "receipt(s)" so I'm guessing at least 2 rebates per household is ok.
https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil ... h-may-2018

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:07 am

fishboat wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:03 am
ZapRowsdower wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:27 pm
fishboat wrote:
The last couple years Mobil has been doing a rebate offer in the spring..$12 back for 5 quarts or 5 quart jugs. Basically 50% off. I use 0w-20 Mobil 1 in my Toyota 5.7L and will be looking for the rebate again this year..

FYI..Mobil has the rebate on again..I don't see the usual max of 2 rebates restriction, but it may be there somewhere. They do say "receipt(s)" so I'm guessing at least 2 rebates per household is ok.
https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil ... h-may-2018
Limit of two rebates per household, it's in the Rebate Conditions:

Eligible oil products can be purchased together on one (1) receipt or purchased separately and, if submitted by mail, must be combined in one (1) envelope. Limit of two (2) rebates per household, regardless of rebate amount and regardless of submission method. Each rebate request received by mail must contain original rebate form and original receipt(s).

I will take advantage though the rebate is limited to participating retailers and Costco isn't one of them, and neither is Walmart. Those stores have the cheapest Mobil1 in my area. But with the rebate I still come out ahead.
I'd rather be thin than famous -- Jack Kerouac

keinodoggy

Post by keinodoggy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:20 pm

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:32 pm

I hope this is the exception, but I discovered that my former independent mechanic of some ten years used a synthetic blend, while charging me for synthetic. My vehicle has turbocharges, and they require full synthetic, not a blend. So I understand why a consumer would be concerned about which oil was actually being used.

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:43 pm

If the question is just where to buy cheap I go to Walmart.