Any books really change your outlook on life?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Rattlesnake

Re: Any books really change your outlook on life?

Post by Rattlesnake » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:47 pm

Post deleted....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:05 pm

Life changing?

The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. That one changed my life.

After that, reading the first chapter of The Millionaire Next Door got me to start living below my means.

Everything else in my life came from those two.

jersey789girl

Post by jersey789girl » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:15 pm

The Bogleheads Guide to Investing which I read in 2008 before the stock market crash, right around the time I joined this forum. It was life changing and made me a much more knowledgeable investor. I give every college graduate that I care about, including my 2 children when they graduated, a copy of the book.

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:39 pm

The Selfish Gene, especially the sections on altruism
Strength Finders
Taxing Ourselves, a non-political discussion of various tax structures and consequences of each system
Last edited by DVMResident on Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SurferLife

Post by SurferLife » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:53 pm

Marmot wrote:The China Study - I saw it mentioned in an earlier post from 2010. A must read, you can't ignore the science.

I wholeheartily agree with this. It was recommended to me by a friend and I curse and thank that friend all the time. I equate the book to the decision that Neo has to make in the Matrix. You can continue to live in ignorance, or you can learn the truth, and yes, with 800+ scientific studies referenced to support the authors conclusion, the science is undeniable. I wish more doctors knew of this book.
Last edited by SurferLife on Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:10 pm

DVMResident wrote:The Selfish Gene, partially the sections on altruism.

If you enjoyed the altruism part, you might also like The Evolution of Cooperation by Robert Axelrod.

From the Amazon page:
    This widely praised and much-discussed book explores how cooperation can emerge in a world of self-seeking egoists—whether superpowers, businesses, or individuals—when there is no central authority to police their actions.

I see there is a revised edition. I might just get it.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

Onion

Post by Onion » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:30 pm

1.) He Wanted the Moon by Mimi Baird. Read if you or someone you love has suffered with a mental health issue.
2.) A couple of books on simple living or minimalism. Simplicity Parenting by Kim John Payne was great for me as a parent. However, Unstuff Your Life by Andrew Mellen started it all for me, despite the fact that he doesn't advocate for minimalism.
3.) Quiet by Susan Cain. Read this if you are an introvert, your partner is an introvert, or you want to better understand how to utilize introverts in business.

bkweathe

Post by bkweathe » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:24 pm

The Bible
Perspectives on the World Christian Movement

Brad

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:38 pm

It is kind of funny, but often I do not want to read certain books, because of the build up. I resisted for a long time.

This book did change my outlook and I found it to be very powerful.

I think that "Catcher in the rye" and "To kill a mockingbird" are great books and deserve to be read in High school, in our 30 or 40'ties and then again in our twilight years ( or should I say Golden Years) but One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Day_i ... Denisovich should be mandatory reading every ten years.

I am glad, I read it. I might not be a better person, but I think it helped with empathy.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

deskjockey

Post by deskjockey » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:11 pm

I've read a fair amount of books that have impacted the way I see the world to some degree, but only one stands out to me now as having shaped my world view and, in many ways, inspired me choose a career in government. It was William Manchester's The Glory and the Dream: A Narrative History of America, 1932-1972. I probably read it a dozen times in middle and high school.

In terms of investing, I'd have to say The Millionaire Next Door was and is a huge influence. I reread it again just last year and it inspired me all over again.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:53 am

Some great suggestions here. I'm always amazed at the posters who mention "The Millionaire Next Door". While an insightful book, growing up in a rural Yankee community, this was already our culture. I guess it was a well kept secret in an understated culture. Much more impactful to me was "Your Money or Your Life" - which makes the direction connection between your life and your finite life resources.

So thrilled to see mention of "The Boxcar Children" here. I was a voracious reader from the earliest age and those books, along with everything written by Lois Lenski, really opened my eyes and set me on the path to having hope and courage while growing up in a family that provided little of either.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:38 am

Onion wrote:1.) He Wanted the Moon by Mimi Baird. Read if you or someone you love has suffered with a mental health issue.
2.) A couple of books on simple living or minimalism. Simplicity Parenting by Kim John Payne was great for me as a parent. However, Unstuff Your Life by Andrew Mellen started it all for me, despite the fact that he doesn't advocate for minimalism.
3.) Quiet by Susan Cain. Read this if you are an introvert, your partner is an introvert, or you want to better understand how to utilize introverts in business.

+1
Quiet, by Susan Cain (deepening practical understanding of character types, specifically intr.)
Controlling People, Patricia Evans (broadening one's perception of such)
Life Code, McGraw (avoiding and surviving modern human drama)

Abel

Post by Abel » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:56 pm

"Practicing the Power of Now" by Eckert Tolle. I'm sure I've read and listened to it at least 100 times during the last 10 years and it continues to be my workbook and motivator as I transition my career and personal life from over achiever to over the hill. The book's honesty, poetry, and thought provoking intensity just blow me away.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:48 am

Very few books changed my outlook on life.

Exceptions:

Age 15- The Alexandria Quartet, as well as assorted lyrics by my favorite music idols (Bob Dylan sticks out).

Age 18-25: Just about anything I read regarding theoretical physics.

Age 40: books on Chaos theory, as well as The Book of Predictions by Wallace et al (written around 1980, purchased in a garage sale in the early 1990's, which reinforced everything I was learning about Chaos Theory).

Most everything else I read, including nonfiction, religion and philosophy, pretty much boiled down to entertainment.

DEZ1

Post by DEZ1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:14 am

7 Habits of highly effective people
The millionaire next door

ribonucleic

Post by ribonucleic » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:57 pm

Straw Dogs, by John Gray

Life is hopeless, but it's OK.

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:21 am

Lots of good books mentioned in here, for me however it was Ray Kurzweil's "Age of Intelligent Machines" and his follow-on titles that truly impacted my outlook on life.

Cats cradle and The God Delusion (and really anything by Dawkins) have been mentioned as well already. Civilizations by Felipe Fernandez armesto, The Birth of Plenty by Bernstein, and Why Nations Fail along with Thomas friedmans various books on globalization assisted in formation of elements of my worldview (which is part of my outlook on life you could say). Certainly can't forget works by George Carlin either, RIP.

I greatly enjoy anything to do with finance and investing, but money is a means to an end and therefore I can't say there have been any financial books that actually changed my outlook on life. :moneybag

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:25 am

"Self Reliance" by Emerson. I read it in high school and to this day it's the only thing I've ever read that changed/affirmed my outlook on life (well, that and the Bible).

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:40 am

Zorba the Greek, by Nikos Kazantzakis
As well as being a wonderfully entertaining novel, it is a profound work of philosophy.

Zorba constantly reminds us to be courageous, generous, and to live our lives TODAY. As Zorba says to the protagonist, "You go through life as if you are going to live forever, I go through life as if I am going to die any minute."

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:56 am

The Confessions, by St. Augustine of Hippo

The Everlasting Man, by GK Chesterton

Spe Salvi, by Pope Benedict XVI (Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger)

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:23 am

"How I Found Freedom In An Unfree World" by Harry Browne.

I remember it had a big impression on me when I was in my early twenties. Triggered the idea of going against the general flow, of thinking separately and independently.

mikefixac

Post by mikefixac » Thu May 18, 2017 9:09 pm

Marmot wrote:The China Study - I saw it mentioned in an earlier post from 2010. A must read, you can't ignore the science.

I've seen this book recommended a number of times in this thread. Must say, it makes me happy. In most threads I read about Dr Campbell, most comments are what I find distorted.

I've been a big believer in Drs Campbell and Esselstyn (Dr Es's book, How to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease). These are the 2 doctors profiled in the documentary "Forks over Knives".

My initiation into nutrition was reading "The Rice Diet" by Walter Kempner. I was so impressed by the science. Heard later that Dr Kempner at one time presented his findings at a doctor's convention. He showed a picture of a man's eye with retinopathy. After being on the Kempner diet, the man's eyes blood vessels returned to normal. Dr Kempner was accused of switching the the before and after pictures of the man's eyes. After that, he refused to attend a convention.

In Dr Es's book, he makes the boldest of statements and says "heart disease is a toothless paper tiger that need never exist". A bold statement that my hero Nathan Pritikin believed as early as the 60's.

jmk

Post by jmk » Wed May 31, 2017 6:58 am

cantos wrote:Critique of Pure Reason, Kant (that the soul is infinite)

That time and space are human constructs not in the world.

Nicomachean Ethics, Aristotle (what is right is doing the appropriate thing at the appropriate time in the appropriate manner. and that virtue is to know what the extremes are and to find balance).

On my list too, but what I got from it was that happiness is a state of flourishing not a hedonistic emotion.

cantos

Post by cantos » Wed May 31, 2017 9:12 am

jmk wrote:Nicomachean Ethics, Aristotle (what is right is doing the appropriate thing at the appropriate time in the appropriate manner. and that virtue is to know what the extremes are and to find balance).

On my list too, but what I got from it was that happiness is a state of flourishing not a hedonistic emotion.[/quote]

Oooh nice. I need to re-read the Nico!

cantos

Post by cantos » Wed May 31, 2017 9:13 am

cantos wrote:
jmk wrote:Nicomachean Ethics, Aristotle (what is right is doing the appropriate thing at the appropriate time in the appropriate manner. and that virtue is to know what the extremes are and to find balance).

On my list too, but what I got from it was that happiness is a state of flourishing not a hedonistic emotion.

Oooh nice. I need to re-read the Nico!

cantos

Post by cantos » Wed May 31, 2017 9:13 am

jmk wrote:
cantos wrote:Nicomachean Ethics, Aristotle (what is right is doing the appropriate thing at the appropriate time in the appropriate manner. and that virtue is to know what the extremes are and to find balance).

Oooh nice. I need to re-read the Nico![/quote]

reisner

Post by reisner » Wed May 31, 2017 9:51 am

"Being Wrong" by Kathryn Schultz, a brilliant and hilarious writer.

"The Examined Life" by Stephen Grosz--a psycholanalyst's case histories told as mini-mysteries.

"How to Speak Money" by John Lanchester, another brilliant and hilarious writer.

BanditKing

Post by BanditKing » Wed May 31, 2017 10:51 am

Just finished reading (audiobook) "A Man Called Ove" by Fredrik Backman for a local book club. Really a touching story that gives some perspectives on life and love, especially for a grumpy sourpuss like me. If you're an audiobook person, like I am, the narration on that version is top notch.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18774964-a-man-called-ove
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Man_Called_Ove_(novel)

The movie (Swedish language with subtitles) is available on Amazon Prime as well. It's very faithful to the book and just as touching, removing only a few pieces for pacing and time. I recommend reading the book first, and then watching the movie.

https://youtu.be/dPoaN2XROk8

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Wed May 31, 2017 12:21 pm

"The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. Yes it had a profound change on my life. It takes practice to master his teachings. I am at peace most of the time. Simplicity also has a big role.
"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." -Thoreau | Vanguard Total World Index

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Wed May 31, 2017 3:10 pm

I am going to cheat a little on my first recommendation. Financially, my most important “book” was finding the diehards site, originally at Moringstar. It led me to read and understand many of the books listed in this thread. Honestly that back and forth discussion taught me so much more than I could ever initially appreciate in any book. For example, conversations with a poster named John Norstad were incredibly instructive to me. I had my financial epiphany there and have never looked back.

In terms of improving one’s health, I would recommend How not to Die by Dr. Michael Greger. In terms of my physical wellbeing, adopting the lifestyle as laid out in How not to Die was a dramatic change for the positive for me. A similar life altering epiphany for me, not looking back.

Enjoyed this thread and got me some books to read. Smiles.
TINSTAAFL