Any books really change your outlook on life?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stemikger

Re: Any books really change your outlook on life?

Post by stemikger » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:17 am

Mine would be The Automatic Millionaire. It really ingrained in my thinking that number one - you don't need to budget and number two, you don't need to make a big salary to retire wealthy.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:46 am

Since I lost 230lbs I will say "The Compound Effect". I knew already the way to success for finding success in what you want. You can't give up after X amount of days if you don't see results. It didn't change my life, but would be a great beginner book to money, goals, etc.

"I Will Teach You to be Rich". I was good at saving money, but this book introduced me to the game of finances, investing, credit, etc. The title IMO seems like an infomercial, but it's not like that at all. It was my gateway to more and more excitement of learning about finances.

FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:10 am

Merle's Door by Ted Kerasote-If I had to name my favorite book, this is it. One mans devotion to his dog and so much more. The book deepened my love and understanding of dogs. It also opened up the possibility that the current "pack leader" type training that's so popular may need to be re-visited.

Stocks for the Long Run by Jeremy Siegel-The book helps one understand that over an investors lifetime neither cash or bonds come close to the returns of equities.

Better2bWise

Post by Better2bWise » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:46 am

The Bible
Declaration of Independence
The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis
Little Book of Common Sense Investing
Millionaire Next Door
The Four Pillars of Investing
The Birth of Plenty by William Bernstein

FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:05 am

Holy Bible rsv: Ecclesiastes 9:9

This gave meaning to me. Maybe not everyone but available to all.

Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:09 pm

Anything by Thomas Sowell for the linear realm.
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

mikefixac

Post by mikefixac » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:38 pm

Siddhartha. While this book has a cult following, I thought the protagonist no more than an ascetic narcissist. Leaving his loving family, then meeting a beautiful woman who gives him a child and he leaves them too to search for "truth".

Book that blew me away and still does: The Pleasure Trap by Doug Lisle and Alan Goldhammer. It's about nutrition, and not really written for the masses. But, for me, it's a book full of wisdom and life changing.

trentwebb

Post by trentwebb » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:30 pm

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Atlas Shrugged
The Fountainhead
The Four Pillars of Investing
The Joy of Not Working
Once and Eagle

RainyZ

Post by RainyZ » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:48 pm

A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy - William B. Irvine
The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:19 pm

Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman. Really stuck with me and I need to read it again. My wife read it years later and it had the same effect on her.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:30 pm

I'm not sure if it changed my outlook on life, but I have been reading Give Me One Wish by Jacquie Gordon off and on for almost thirty years. Give Me One Wish is the story of Ms. Gordon and her daughter Christine Nelson (the daughter of Jerry Nelson of Muppets fame) trying to make sense of life and their relationship and Christine's battle with cystic fibrosis, a battle that Christine eventually lost but not before she had a profound effect on people.
Gordon

highercall

Re:

Post by highercall » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:35 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:I've read a lot of books, but "changed my life?" I can only think of a few. Matthew....Mark....Luke...John to name some of them.

1+

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:52 pm

Bogleheaeds:

Books that changed my life:

The Tarzan series when I was very young taught me the pleasure of reading. As a result, much of my life was in libraries.

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand taught me the value of the individual.

Walden by Thoreau taught me the value of simplicity.

A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Malkiel and Bogle on Mutual Funds convinced me of the superiority of index funds.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:05 pm

Random order.
Everything by "Horatio Alger" when I was little. -- value of character/ambition/humility/values
Biographies: Douglas McArthur, Onassis, JFK.
Bradbury, Arthur C. Clark, Hemmingway, Saul Bellow, F. Kafka, Hesse. (authors) (dual major, Lit helped me endure econ/finance)
As a Man Thinketh, The Greatest Salesman In The World - Og Mandino, Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill, Acres of Diamonds" - Conwell
Sieze the Day, Lord of the Flies, Animal Farm, "The . . . Book", Chuang Tzu, Vedas, Upanishads, classic literature.
Reading is like food. Like "Taylor", Grew up in the libraries. . and the farm:happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Case59

Post by Case59 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:29 pm

The Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien

Starship Troopers, by Robert Heinlein

The Stars My Destination, by Alfred Bester

Dune, by Frank Herbert

Moby Dick, by Herman Melville (seriously)

The Book of Job, by Anonymous
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:35 am

The Trusted Advisor : David Maister
    The book addresses the components of trust (via the trust equation), the process of trust creation (including the most common trust-breaking mistakes), and a series of key trust “tools,” both mindsets and skillsets.

mcblum

Post by mcblum » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:26 am

these two books have made me what I am. Read at a very young age; I don't know if you can find them today.

Hendryk Van Loon "The Story of Mankind"

Paul De Kruff :Microbe Hunters"

Marty

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:49 am

I just finished the book "A Cultural History of Climate" by Wolgang Behringer, bought via Amazon, can buy it via Bogleheads. This is written by an Historian, by a Professor of History at a university, not by a politician in respect to 'Global Warming'. Behringer has studied climate history for many years and references hundreds of scientific references, etc.. It is mind opening as he describes climate history based on scientific findings in i.e. drillings of the greenland and antarctic ice. I especially was surprised to learn that we are presently still in an ice age by definition because glaciers are still there and there is ice on the North Pole. Interesting was also that it was warmer recently between 1000 and 1300 AD than today, i.e. Vikings were then able to grow wheat in Greenland and keep cattle there, and were able to travel with their wooden boats in those waters without encountering any ice on the ocean, and therefore were able to discover North America. He describes how even minor changes in the climate sometimes resulted in major social, political and religious upheavals. In the past minor downturns in the climate would result in crop failures, hunger and diseases especially due to the absence of world trade, storage of grains, hygiene and complete lack of medical understanding.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:57 am

A Concise Logic, Halverson. This book taught me how to reason using facts.
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

cinghiale

Post by cinghiale » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:30 am

I just went back to reread this thread and get some good ideas for reading. Thanks, everyone, for such thoughtful recommendations and, for some titles, critiques.

If I can rephrase the original question to include "Any books really change your thinking and behavior?", I'd like to offer the following:

Mistakes Were Made (But Not By Me) by Carol Tavris and Elliot Aronson.

See at; https://www.amazon.com/Mistakes-Were-Made-but-Not/dp/0544574788/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1486220460&sr=1-1&keywords=mistakes+were+made+but+not+by+me

I cannot think of a book that has more of an impact on my thinking, feeling, perceptions, and reactions over the past 10+ years. The authors tackle cognitive dissonance and how it affects individual behavior, corporate policies, and, of course, political behavior and jargon. Cognitive dissonce theory "(F)ocuses on how human beings strive for internal consistency. A person who experiences inconsistency tends to become psychologically uncomfortable, and so is motivated to try to reduce the cognitive dissonance occurring, and actively avoids situations and information likely to increase the psychological discomfort." (Poached from Wikipedia.). Tavris and Aronson apply the 1950s work of Leon Festinger to contemporary times, and show the lengths to which people will go to justify their actions when confronted with evidence of inconsistency, wrongdoing, or error. That's the key. Knowing that we find dissonance in our lives ("Smoking is harmful to my health." "I like to smoke.") and seek to reduce dissonance ("I only smoke low tar cigarrettes...with filters...and only half way...and then drink a fruit smoothie...") is pretty well known. But the authors do a splendid job of examining all the ways in which we engage in self-justification as a way to reduce dissonance. Hence the title.

I have found this information liberating. Rather than expend gobs of cognitive and emotional energy in elaborate defenses of the self or pronouncements of self-justification, I now tend to say things like, "Sorry, I did that. That was my mistake," or "I misspoke. What I said wasn't right." And, suddenly, a situation begins to get resolved.

There's a revised 2015 edition, which I have not yet read.
-- Cinghiale | | "We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

jdb

Post by jdb » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:31 pm

Interesting that this old thread has been resurrected. Several for me have been game changing.
A Bright Shining Lie: John Paul Vann and America in Vietnam by Neil Sheehan. Best history of Vietnam War. Brought closure for someone (me) who had high school friends killed in combat while college friends protested in streets. Closure brought ability to move on.
The environmental trilogy, Walden Pond by Thoreau, Sand County Almanac by Leopold and Silent Spring by Carson. Read while in high school, have been ardent conservationist since then.
The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin. Sometimes best to read the original source book.
Last edited by jdb on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jdb

Post by jdb » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:35 pm

Duplicate.

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:38 pm

How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World

Harry Browne

DA

Dimitri

Post by Dimitri » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:50 pm

There are a lot of books that might be more politically more correct say changed my outlook on life. That said, I think Dr. Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas would be it for me. I probably wouldn't have come out here if it wasn't for that book. I live in this desert and I love it. Thank you Dr. Thompson.
Let's never come here again because it would never be as much fun.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:27 am

carolinaman wrote:
seeshells wrote:After researching the Bibles critics & criticisms, after having completed over 15 yrs of "religious" schooling, I've concluded its unreliable, rewritten many times fostering its unreliability and written by those with world agenda driven motives. That aside, I've read, studied and endorse "Enough" by JBogle, I've read it many times. :mrgreen: Thats my bible.

The argument that the Bible was re-written many times, thus distorting its original meaning was clearly refuted by the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls. The scrolls contained numerous portions of the Old Testament including the complete book of Isaiah. The scrolls were dated around 100 BC. The earliest copies of the Old Testament were around 1,000 AD. A comparison of the Dead Sea scrolls with the earliest copies of the Old Testament revealed they were virtually identical with no difference in meaning. Thus the periodic re-writing of the Old Testament (requested by the fragile papyrus paper) did not distort the meaning of the Bible.

There are many early copies of the New Testament. The only notable differences when comparing them is slight grammatical differences.

I attended a class taught by Dr Norm Geissler, world renowned Biblical expert/author, on the reliability of the Bible. He presents a very powerful argument for the accuracy and reliability of the scriptures. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on Christianity, but I have found with over 40 years of study of the Bible that it is very rational and incredibly consistent in its teaching. Ultimately, it is a matter of faith. I greatly admire John Bogle and his teaching, but I am not trusting my eternal destiny to him.

I would suggest "Misquoting Jesus". It's not anti-religion book, it's a very interesting book written for the layperson explaining all the differences in the various Bibles we have and how religious scholars over the centuries have dealt with that. I find it interesting that some people state the only notable differences is slight grammatical differences. This book states the exact opposite. There were scholars in the 1600s and 1700s and 1800s who spent their entire lives reconciling the differences.

My understand is that many of the differences are indeed minor, they don't distract from the main message, but there are real differences. Some are simple misspellings, or copy errors (where a scribe copies the same line twice or emits a line). These are easy to catch. Just simple human mistakes. But sometimes a phrase will be different in Bibles from different regions. Both make sense, and it's hard to tell which one Is the "original". The author makes it very interesting explaining how (human) scholars decided which one was the right one.

One parable of Jesus that is in the modern Bible is in NONE of the early 4th century Bibles we still have. It doesn't show up until later Bibles (and then copied into many Bibles after that). Again, that one parable makes no difference to the religious message. It's just interesting that it is today considered "scripture", but it appears to have been added later (or perhaps all the earlier Bibles that contained that parable were lost).

market timer

Post by market timer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:36 am

The Most Instructive Games of Chess Ever Played: 62 Masterpieces of Chess Strategy, by Irving Chernev

This was the first chess book I ever read. Chernev has a passion for the game that comes through in his writing. I became an avid player and student of the game after reading this book.

Molecular Biology of the Cell, by Alberts et al.

Cellular processes fascinate me. It's the interface between chemistry and life. The pragmatism of evolution. The ingenuity of viruses. How cells communicate to one another. A beautiful symphony on a microscopic scale.

Complexity: The Emerging Science at at Edge of Order and Chaos, by M. Mitchell Waldrop

Read this book near the end of college, and decided to switch from an empirical to a theoretical researcher, which essentially meant needing to study a lot more math.

The Education of a Speculator, by Victor Niederhoffer

Read this in grad school and thought it provided a roadmap for the type of career I hoped to enjoy.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:52 pm

This is a clear case of the recency bias, but at the moment two books are changing my outlook on life:
Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
and
Write to the Point by Bill Stott.

Gilbert's best known book is Eat, Pray, Love, which I was ignoring because I am not into chick lit. Big Magic is magical. It carries a simple message: we all have creativity in us and it's our responsibility and privilege to bring it out. But Gilbert delivers this message in very inspiring ways, in the ways that make you to run to your computer (or notebook) and start writing, writing right now.

I've read about Stott's book in Cliff Stoll's The Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage, a story of how a researcher has uncovered an international cyber spying ring after he noticed a 75 cent discrepancy between billing systems. The Cuckoo's Egg is still very popular in the cyber communities even as technologies have undergone dramatic change. Somewhere in the book Stoll wrote that Stott's book was a perfect guide for telling his story, and so I have purchased Write to the Point. That was many years ago, but I started reading it only now, and the book speaks to me just as, I think, it was speaking to Stoll. It tells me to write the substance, argue it credibly, not try to be cute, and not let style overshadow the logic, the point.

These books changed my outlook on writing life, and when I finish my book they will have changed my life.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:21 pm

Atul Gawande: Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End

Really changed and focused my outlook on treatment and caring for loved ones approaching end of life transitions. (Also, made me focus more on planning for myself and spouse.)

Atul Gawande is a gifted writer, who can make mundane subjects lively and interesting to readers -- his Checkbook Manifesto: How to get things right -- amply demonstrates his ability to write in an engaging manner about a topic most would consider boring.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:05 pm

This Is It by Alan Watts (1960 AD). It blew my (existentialist) mind.

DaoDeJing by Laozi (~500 BC). Still reading.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (1932).

1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell (1949 and 1945).
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

cantos

Post by cantos » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:47 pm

Nice thread. Inspired me to read some of the books mentioned above.

Some books that've hit me hard, in sequence. Not all of them changed my outlook on life - some are books that solidified the direction I was going and gave me the reinforcement I needed. Will be pretty obvious what life stages were influenced by what books... Lots of philosophy (can you guess my undergrad?):
(edit: added in comments for each book on the chance you're wondering if you should read it too)

Fear and Trembling, Kierkegaard (that the step to find faith is to doubt - and that having faith means also embracing doubt)

Twilight of the Idols, Nietzsche (that values change/depend on one's situation)

Critique of Pure Reason, Kant (that the soul is infinite)

Rhetoric, Aristotle (ethos, pathos, logos. critical reading for anyone who does any persuading in life)

Nicomachean Ethics, Aristotle (what is right is doing the appropriate thing at the appropriate time in the appropriate manner. and that virtue is to know what the extremes are and to find balance)

Tao Te Ching (that values change/depend on situation)

One Dimensional Man, Marcuse (that every "choice" we have, especially as consumers, is not a real choice at all. freedom is knowing this and acting accordingly.)

How to Win Friends and Influence People (has done wonders for my ability to persuade, sell ideas, win interviews, increase my reputation, etc. a game changer for my career)

Millionaire Next Door (the absolute best personal finance book ever)

Strangely, while I have read tons of fiction, including "literature", I would not say they changed/influenced my outlook on life. If they have, it's sub/unconscious.
Last edited by cantos on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

WiscoTrout

Post by WiscoTrout » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:25 am

A River Runs Through It by Norman MacLean: "In our family, there was no clear line between religion and fly fishing." And now the same is true for me...

WiscoTrout

davidsorensen32

Post by davidsorensen32 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:42 am

Art of Travel - Alain Botton
Siddhartha - Herman Hesse
Bhagwad Geeta
Sperm Wars
Freakonomics
Fooled by Randomness
Outliers

Trader/Investor

Post by Trader/Investor » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:53 am

If we are talking financial books - How I Made Two Millions Dollars In The Stock Market by Nicolas Darvas.

yearzero

Post by yearzero » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:49 am

The Snow Leopard - Peter Matthiessen- In the autumn of 1973, the writer Peter Matthiessen set out in the company of zoologist George Schaller on a hike that would take them 250 miles into the heart of the Himalayan region of Dolpo, "the last enclave of pure Tibetan culture on earth." Their voyage was in quest of one of the world's most elusive big cats, the snow leopard of high Asia, a creature so rarely spotted as to be nearly mythical; Schaller was one of only two Westerners known to have seen a snow leopard in the wild since 1950.

Published in 1978, The Snow Leopard is rightly regarded as a classic of modern nature writing. Guiding his readers through steep-walled canyons and over tall mountains, Matthiessen offers a narrative that is shot through with metaphor and mysticism, and his arduous search for the snow leopard becomes a vehicle for reflections on all manner of matters of life and death. In the process, The Snow Leopard evolves from an already exquisite book of natural history and travel into a grand, Buddhist-tinged parable of our search for meaning. By the end of their expedition, having seen wolves, foxes, rare mountain sheep, and other denizens of the Himalayas, and having seen many signs of the snow leopard but not the cat itself, Schaller muses, "We've seen so much, maybe it's better if there are some things that we don't see."

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind- Yuval Noah Harari- Homo sapiens rules the world because it is the only animal that can believe in things that exist purely in its own imagination, such as gods, states, money and human rights.

Starting from this provocative idea, Sapiens goes on to retell the history of our species from a completely fresh perspective. It explains that money is the most pluralistic system of mutual trust ever devised; that capitalism is the most successful religion ever invented; that the treatment of animals in modern agriculture is probably the worst crime in history; and that even though we are far more powerful than our ancient ancestors, we aren’t much happier.
Last edited by yearzero on Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't waste your time, or time will waste you"- Muse-Knights of Cydonia

anoop

Post by anoop » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:57 am

many lives, many masters by brian weiss.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:06 am

The Way of the Superior Man, by David Deida.
Certainty is a requirement of ignorance. | Humbling Contest results: | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:24 pm

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Interesting that so many here are reading the Tao Te Ching. I am inspired to put that next on my reading list :happy

I don't know that these books changed my life, but here are some of my favorites that are objectively better than sex, any day:

Cain (Jose Saramago)
American Gods (Neil Gaiman)
The Goldfinch (Donna Tartt)

LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:59 pm

Lots of great recommendations. Thank you.
The only problem is Entropy, leading to the eventual heat death of the universe. [Seen on /.]

Nick341981

Post by Nick341981 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:29 pm

Crippled America- Donald J. Trump

rogergaret

Post by rogergaret » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:49 am

"The future of spacetime" Stephen Hawking, Kip Thorne, Igor Novikov, Timothy Ferris, Alan Lightman
"Capital" Karl Marx
"Hunger" Martin Caparros
"Fictions", "The book of sand", "Aleph" J.L. Borges
"The wealth of nations" Adam Smith
"The castle" Frank Kafka
"Livro do Desassossego" Fernando Pessoa

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:26 pm

"Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" by Dee Brown

redrocker

Post by redrocker » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:45 pm

I'll omit the ones that have already been mentioned. Definitely increasing my library list after this thread.

For me:

The Jungle Upton Sinclair
The Tyranny of Good Intentions Paul Craig Roberts

IceNine

Post by IceNine » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:48 pm

"Cat's Cradle" by Kurt Vonnegut.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:58 pm

This thread is an amazing representation of the cumulative breadth and substantive depth present on the Bogleheads Forum.
My "books to read" bucket list is growing as the thread expands.
OP: thanks for creating it. :D

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:37 pm

bob90245 wrote:Re: Any books really change your outlook on life?

Many years ago, I read Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People. Maybe didn't change my "outlook". But I made changes in myself in other ways.

This was one of the most important books I've read. I thought it was completely hokey until it soaked in. I'm glad I read it in my early 20's. It definitely has saved me from sticky situations and improved my attitude.

This is a great thread with lots of good recommendations.

Sage16

Post by Sage16 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:00 pm

The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason

tooluser

Re:

Post by tooluser » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:08 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
SpringMan wrote:I read Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" from an old copy I picked up at a garage sale. Unlike others I did not care for this book. It seemed to advocate being phony regardless of the truth. Tell people what they want to hear. Give false compliments. Do this to get ahead. I know this book is highly regarded but I found many things about it distasteful.

I second the above. Having integrity,character, ethics and compassion gets thrown out the window with the useless advice this book offers. I suspect many of the problems we have today have been compounded by the suggestions this book offers.

Ditto, though the useless advice will help you fit in. Not fitting in is a risk. However, I found Carnegie's "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" to be useful. I used to worry that I wasn't worried enough. So many people around me so frightened and vexed each moment of the day. "This too shall pass."

"Lay Low and Don't Make the Big Mistake" by Harris & Herschlag is excellent if you want perspective on having a job. I do not advocate or practice any of the unethical behaviors in that book. But it's interesting to look for them at your workplace - Wally from Dilbert, squared.
Learn economical motion of delivery from a variety of angles, then lengthen the distance gradually. -- Bruce Lee

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:41 pm

Over my 69 years, I read so many books and all or most had a positive impact. Reading, education and traveling make a positive impact.

Box Car Children was amazing when I read it at ten years old. I never imagined that children could live independent of parents!
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

jjunk

Post by jjunk » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:01 am

12 Years a Slave - Northrup
Hamlet - Shakespeare
Paradise Lost - Milton
Jack Daniels Running Formula - Daniels
Not Taco Bell Material - Carolla
Travels - Crichton
Outliers - Gladwell
Conversations with Major Dick Winters - Kingseed
Paddle Your Own Canoe - Offerman

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:29 pm

Sage16 wrote:The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason

+1