Any books really change your outlook on life?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LH

Re:

Post by LH » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:51 am

As someone else had stated:

Awareness by Anthony de Mello

I have almost finised it, and the book is certainly worth a read, I would have found it moronic I think in my twenties though.

http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgu ... reness.pdf

seems to be a free copy.

dbonnett

Re: Any books really change your outlook on life?

Post by dbonnett » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:26 am

What did I miss in Ian Rand?
I thought her works were simplistic with stories like a Lifetime TV drama.

ltuxl

Post by ltuxl » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:35 am

Rich Dad Poor Dad by far was the most influential book in my life thus far.
- Mr. Tux

Lon

Post by Lon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:23 am

am wrote:Always looking for great books to read.

I am halfway through the just released book about "Steve Jobs" and although the book has not changed my outlook on life it has certainly given me a new perspective. It's a really good read.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:52 am

bump

I'm in a 'meaningful books' stage of my life/state of mind.

jpelder

Post by jpelder » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:16 pm

A couple that made a difference for me, for various reasons

Religious:
The Imitation of Christ, by Thomas a Kempis
The Great Divorce and Mere Christianity, both by C.S. Lewis

Science:
Phantoms in the Brain, by V.S. Ramachandran
The Selfish Gene, by Richard Dawkins
Sociobiology, The New Synthesis, by E.O. Wilson

Financial:
The Millionaire Next Door

HurdyGurdy

Post by HurdyGurdy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:20 pm

Benjamin Franklin's Autobiography.

House of cards : psychology and psychotherapy built on myth by Robyn M. Dawes. (I'm sure that Victoria will appreciate this one).
http://www.amazon.com/House-Cards-Robyn ... 0684830914

Wildebeest

Re:

Post by Wildebeest » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:46 pm

mpt follower wrote:Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search For Meaning"

I have read this book multiple times and it remains inspiring and powerful on reread.
I do believe that this world would be better place, if it would be obligatory reading in high school (and may be for some people in college).
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:47 pm

am wrote:Always looking for great books to read.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull
Run, You Clever Boy!

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:57 pm

So many, many books over the many, many years changed my outlook on life so I'll narrow the topic to investing and name one book read seven years ago that changed my outlook on how and why people think and make decisions about money - Jason Zweig's "Your Money & Your Brain."

Zweig writes in the opening chapter, "Neuroeconomincs," "Thanks to this newborn field - a hybrid of neuroscience, economics, and psychology - we can begin to understand what drives investing behavior not only on the theoretical or practical level, but as a basic biological function."

Reading the book, I thought often of how well the Bogleheads' philosophy is aligned with the findings of neuroeconomics and how well it guides us in dealing with that basic biological function.
Last edited by Fallible on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

moshe

Post by moshe » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:59 pm

In no particular order:

Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search For Meaning"
Dale Carnagie's "How to win friends and influence people"
Atul Gawande's "Complications" and "Better"
RL Stevenson "Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" - RL Stevenson

~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:18 pm

moshe wrote:RL Stevenson "Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" - RL Stevenson

Can't say it was life-changing but when I finally got around to reading it I was pleasantly surprised that it was better than I expected.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

moshe

Post by moshe » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:26 pm

bertilak wrote:
moshe wrote:RL Stevenson "Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" - RL Stevenson

Can't say it was life-changing but when I finally got around to reading it I was pleasantly surprised that it was better than I expected.

I know it may seem a bit "strange" to include this story in such an august list but i found the tale to contain some very interesting deeper meanings and warnings especially when it addresses being forced to live according to societies judgement just a bit too much. Also, the power of the evil self to corrupt the good self was worth pondering as well.

~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams

gatorking

Post by gatorking » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:28 pm

"Seeking Wisdom: From Darwin to Munger" by Peter Bevelin
"If it weren't for color printers, and man's need to find patterns where there are none, investment advisers would be a whole lot poorer." - yobria

Flux

Post by Flux » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:35 pm

Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel by Rolf Potts

As the title states, it shows you how possible extended travel is. Not only does it give you ideas how to make it happen, it also talks about the philosophy behind why it is a good lifestyle choice for some. It's very inspirational.

It put into writing a lot of thoughts that were going through my head. Being in my late 20's, I had been on the fence about quitting my corporate job to travel long-term. This book really influenced my decision to finally take the leap of faith and travel. Ever since then I have been splitting my time between work and travel. It's really changed my outlook on what I want in life.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:38 pm

Mathematics and the Imagination, by Edward Kasner and James R. Newman.

Weird one, but still: New Numbers: How Acceptance of a Duodecimal Base Would Simplify Mathematics, by F. Emerson Andrews. This 1930s book made the case for adopting a duodecimal (base 12) number system, and he proposed using the Greek letters Χ (which in his font looked curlier than X) and, I think, ξ, for the digits with value 10 and 11--Χ because the Greek alphabet was reasonably available in printers' fonts, and because it looked like the Roman number for 10 and ξ because it looked like an ξ for ξleven. The interesting claim was that most of the supposed virtues of the metric system could be obtained with the traditional units by changing the number system to base 12 instead of changing the system of units--and that 12 was much more practical in commerce because of its superior divisibility.

Electrons, Waves and Messages by John R. Pierce, particularly his observation that on the one hand, Maxwell's equations were more general than Kirchoff's laws because Maxwell's equations applied to all electromagnetic systems and not just circuits made of R's, L's, and C's--but that on the other hand Kirchoff's laws were more general because they applied to systems of flows that weren't electrical.

I think I should add certain magazines--particularly Scientific American and Martin Gardner's Mathematical Games column.

Oh, and lets not forget Things of Science. Very hard to describe. I don't think there's a science-math-nerd my age who didn't get and love Things of Science, even though, to tell the truth, maybe only two or three a year were really sensational. How to describe it? It was mailed monthly in a blue box about 6 by 4 by 1 inches in side, and it was just what the name suggested. You'd open it up and you never knew what you might find. Often it was just dull industrial samples they'd obviously begged for free from some corporation--one of them was about plastics and had one wire with some kind of insulation that melted easily and one that didn't... that sort of thing. But I still remember the kit on "Linkages," and the one with little packets of latex that enabled you to make a functional rubber balloon in a kitchen oven.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:38 pm

The Bible-Read 4 chapters every day. That puts me on track to read the Bible once a year with some days to spare. I am on my fifth year doing this.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:55 pm

7 habits of effective leaders change my work life, the Bible changed my life.
FIRE July 2015 The US government spends nearly the ENTIRETY of its tax revenue on Social Security, Medicare, and Interest on the Debt.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:59 pm

Electrons, Waves and Messages by John R. Pierce, etc...

I love to read advanced physics books because they are one of the few things that totally relax and calm my mind but they have not changed my outlook on life the way the Bible has changed my life.
FIRE July 2015 The US government spends nearly the ENTIRETY of its tax revenue on Social Security, Medicare, and Interest on the Debt.

seeshells

Post by seeshells » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:17 pm

After researching the Bibles critics & criticisms, after having completed over 15 yrs of "religious" schooling, I've concluded its unreliable, rewritten many times fostering its unreliability and written by those with world agenda driven motives. That aside, I've read, studied and endorse "Enough" by JBogle, I've read it many times. :mrgreen: Thats my bible.

moshe

Post by moshe » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:38 pm

One more worth reading:

"10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management" - Hyrum W. Smith (founder of Franklin Quest Company, merged with Steven Covery to form Franklin Covey)

3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:25 am

seeshells wrote:After researching the Bibles critics & criticisms, after having completed over 15 yrs of "religious" schooling, I've concluded its unreliable, rewritten many times fostering its unreliability and written by those with world agenda driven motives. That aside, I've read, studied and endorse "Enough" by JBogle, I've read it many times. :mrgreen: Thats my bible.

When you say 15 years of religious schooling, does that include masters/doctorate in Christian religious studies?

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:58 am

seeshells wrote:After researching the Bibles critics & criticisms, after having completed over 15 yrs of "religious" schooling, I've concluded its unreliable, rewritten many times fostering its unreliability and written by those with world agenda driven motives. That aside, I've read, studied and endorse "Enough" by JBogle, I've read it many times. :mrgreen: Thats my bible.

The argument that the Bible was re-written many times, thus distorting its original meaning was clearly refuted by the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls. The scrolls contained numerous portions of the Old Testament including the complete book of Isaiah. The scrolls were dated around 100 BC. The earliest copies of the Old Testament were around 1,000 AD. A comparison of the Dead Sea scrolls with the earliest copies of the Old Testament revealed they were virtually identical with no difference in meaning. Thus the periodic re-writing of the Old Testament (requested by the fragile papyrus paper) did not distort the meaning of the Bible.

There are many early copies of the New Testament. The only notable differences when comparing them is slight grammatical differences.

I attended a class taught by Dr Norm Geissler, world renowned Biblical expert/author, on the reliability of the Bible. He presents a very powerful argument for the accuracy and reliability of the scriptures. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on Christianity, but I have found with over 40 years of study of the Bible that it is very rational and incredibly consistent in its teaching. Ultimately, it is a matter of faith. I greatly admire John Bogle and his teaching, but I am not trusting my eternal destiny to him.

zkzkzk

Post by zkzkzk » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:15 am

Didn't read through the whole thread so I apologize if this book was already mentioned.
13 Things Mentally Strong People Don't Do by Amy Morin

Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:03 am

Power vs. Force - David Hawkins

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Force-David ... 1401945074

currently reading Truth vs. Falsehood

http://www.amazon.com/Truth-Falsehood-H ... 4GCMDG9A8M

Coincidentally, I am reading the portion of the book where he describes the Capital Markets in the U.S. and all of its benefits to mankind.
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

SGM

Post by SGM » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:38 pm

The Death of Ivan Ilyich Leo Tolstoi

theunknowntech

Post by theunknowntech » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:21 pm

'The Story of Civilization' books by the Durants got me through high school, so long ago. Then 'The Trial' and 'The Castle', both by Franz Kafka, prepared me for the real world.

Abe

Post by Abe » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:27 pm

Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz
The original book, not the later version. The book is especially good for people with low self-esteem. Written in the 60's I believe.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Eastwest

Post by Eastwest » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:36 pm

Wherever You Go, There You Are - Jon Kabat Zinn
A Guide to the Good Life - William Irvine
Walden - Henry David Thoreau
The Willpower Instinct - Kelly McGonigal
Maximum Achievement - Brian Tracy

spth

Post by spth » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:58 pm

Crossing to Safety - Wallace Stegner
Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera
Follies and Fallacies in Medicine - Petr Skrabanek

Rexindex

Post by Rexindex » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:22 pm

carolinaman wrote:

The argument that the Bible was re-written many times, thus distorting its original meaning was clearly refuted by the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls. The scrolls contained numerous portions of the Old Testament including the complete book of Isaiah. The scrolls were dated around 100 BC. The earliest copies of the Old Testament were around 1,000 AD. A comparison of the Dead Sea scrolls with the earliest copies of the Old Testament revealed they were virtually identical with no difference in meaning. Thus the periodic re-writing of the Old Testament (requested by the fragile papyrus paper) did not distort the meaning of the Bible.

There are many early copies of the New Testament. The only notable differences when comparing them is slight grammatical differences.

I attended a class taught by Dr Norm Geissler, world renowned Biblical expert/author, on the reliability of the Bible. He presents a very powerful argument for the accuracy and reliability of the scriptures. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on Christianity, but I have found with over 40 years of study of the Bible that it is very rational and incredibly consistent in its teaching. Ultimately, it is a matter of faith. I greatly admire John Bogle and his teaching, but I am not trusting my eternal destiny to him.

:D +1
“Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity.” | — Simone Weil

seeshells

Post by seeshells » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:39 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on Christianity

:thumbsup Luckily! We're all aware of our own religious leanings to convictions, eliciting many stripes of colored comments displaying the absolute foolishness it leads to, particularly in online posturing that this site strictly prohibits! Correct? Fully recognizing that, I suggest the OP read "Enough" by JB, w/no blatant or implied religious bias. :happy

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:45 pm

Man's Search for Meaning:
Viktor E. Frankl

https://books.google.com/books?id=F-Q_x ... ng&f=false
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:47 pm

SGM wrote:The Death of Ivan Ilyich Leo Tolstoi

First read it in my late teens and still remember thinking for the first time what it would be like to face death and if I would die this way. You might be interested in a "New Yorker" essay on a new translation by Peter Carson of "Ilych" and "Confession."
http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-tur ... th-tolstoy
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:05 pm

Night Elie Wiesel
The Power of One Bryce Courtenay
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:33 pm

HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE by Dale Carnegie
Read it in high school.

THE POWER OF POSTIVE THINKING
by Norman Vincent Peale.
Read it in college.

THE MAGIC OF THINKING BIG
by David J. Schwartz.

PSCHOCYBERNETICS
by Maxwell Maltz

YOUR ERRONEOUS ZONES
by Wayne Dyer

WHEN ALL YOU’VE EVER WANTED ISN’T ENOUGH
by Harold Kushner

Numerous books on investing and personal finance that pointed me toward no-load, low-cost investing.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

Cruise Control

Post by Cruise Control » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:37 pm

As A Man Thinketh by James Allen
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne

cheese_breath

Re:

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:53 pm

EmergDoc wrote:I've read a lot of books, but "changed my life?" I can only think of a few. Matthew....Mark....Luke...John to name some of them.

+1

Plus Beyond Death's Door by Maurice Rawlings
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:24 am

The Plague by Albert Camus, and in the same genre, The Wall by Jean-Paul Sartre.

I can't believe there have been multiple mentions of Hermann Hesse, yet I don't think anybody said Steppenwolf.

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. There's also an 8-hour Russian film version (with English subtitles) available on DVD that I found memorable. Watched it three or four times. Read the book first, of course.

Men of Mathematics by E. T. Bell. A classic if not entirely factual read for many who have pondered going into math, or if you are later in life and have a generally curious scientific orientation and perhaps would like to regret having not gone into math.

Century of Genocide: Critical Essays and Eyewitness Accounts, edited by Totten and Parsons. The writing is often dry, antiseptic even, but this only heightens the horror.
"I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said." --Alan Greenspan

raymclean

Post by raymclean » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:33 am

Abe wrote:Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz
The original book, not the later version. The book is especially good for people with low self-esteem. Written in the 60's I believe.

+1 There are many books that have enriched my outlook on Life, some spiritual, some financial, some scientific or technical etc. But this book stimulated a deeper understanding of the impact of one's own thinking as a principal causitive factor in what "happens" to you in Life.

Marmot

Post by Marmot » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:49 am

The China Study - I saw it mentioned in an earlier post from 2010. A must read, you can't ignore the science.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:04 pm

Several books by Jungian analyst and author James Hollis: www.jameshollis.net

It really was more than just changing my outlook on life, it was more that his writing actually saved my life.

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:03 pm

Life long voracious reader - for me books are as required as air to breath.

Below are some that have had significant impact on my thinking and how I live my life:

The Death of Ivan Ilyich - Leo Tolstoi

More die of heartbreak – Saul Bellow

Allegory of the cave, The Republic Book 7 – Plato

The God Delusion – Dawkins

Babbit – Sinclair Lewis

A Christmas carol – Dickens

Your Erroneous zones – Wayne Dyer

Interesting to see some of these titles have also been posted by others. Birds of a feather...

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:37 pm

I read " The second sex" of Simone de Beauvoir at the age of 14. I thought it was earth shattering.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:53 pm

The Millionaire in the Mirror made a big difference for how I approach my career.

A particular poem by Rene Daumal.

Eight Weeks to Optimal Health.

Several books by Foucault.

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:20 pm

Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman

LowER

Post by LowER » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:58 pm

Camus' The Plague

-doing good for the sake of doing good...

Minot

Post by Minot » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:25 pm

Alan Watts: Nature, Man and Woman.

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:52 pm

"The Illusion of Immortality" by Corliss Lamont. This well credentialed author started out with the goal of proving there is a God and a hereafter. But his in depth research leads him to conclude the opposite. His recommendations are illuminating.

james99

Re:

Post by james99 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:25 am

SpringMan wrote:I read Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" from an old copy I picked up at a garage sale. Unlike others I did not care for this book. It seemed to advocate being phony regardless of the truth. Tell people what they want to hear. Give false compliments. Do this to get ahead. I know this book is highly regarded but I found many things about it distasteful.

+1

Totally agree. It is about how to be popular with people, have a phoney smile, say what people like to hear. A must read for office politics and insurance salesman.

I think it could be placed next to "48 Laws of Power" and "The Prince" (Machiavelli).