Life/Career Coaches

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RTR2006

Life/Career Coaches

Post by RTR2006 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:14 am

Hi Bogleheads, I am wondering if anyone on the west coast (SF area) has ever hired a life/career coach, and can write a bit about the results.

Thanks for any comments.

RTR

norookie

Post by norookie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:30 am

:D IIRC there was another post on this a while back. Not area specific, but a search might bring it up for your info. I do not think their a prudent option myself. Thats my comment.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

Opponent Process

Post by Opponent Process » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:39 am

I met my wife in 2000.
30/30/20/20 | US/International/Bonds/TIPS | Average Age=37

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:11 pm

I'll tell you how to live your life for 50% the cost of the cheapest life "coach" you can find.

Topic Author
RTR2006

Post by RTR2006 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:39 pm

new2bogle wrote:I'll tell you how to live your life for 50% the cost of the cheapest life "coach" you can find.
Well, I've been out of work for 11 months now and we're living well below the usual "cost."

I asked what I thought was a normal question, but I'll PM the Mods to ask them to pull this topic since all responders seem to think my asking about someone who might be able to assist me with thinking about new directions to take in life must just be a Friday joke.

RTR

norookie

Post by norookie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:05 pm

RTR2006 wrote:
new2bogle wrote:I'll tell you how to live your life for 50% the cost of the cheapest life "coach" you can find.
Well, I've been out of work for 11 months now and we're living well below the usual "cost."

I asked what I thought was a normal question, but I'll PM the Mods to ask them to pull this topic since all responders seem to think my asking about someone who might be able to assist me with thinking about new directions to take in life must just be a Friday joke.

RTR
I do not think anyones making lite of your question. I mean it, try a "search", hopfully you can find the last life coach thread. Its been on here before, However a life coach* dosent know what you want or are capable of. Only you do. If I needed * a job bad I'd go back to 60hrs @ McDees till I resolved my employment issues. Still have dish/cable? That's your first overhead cut. Good luck ahead, you know you best. -just sayin- PS Opponent process was funny.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:26 pm

I know your frustrated, given your circumstances who wouldn't be, but I don't believe anyone was try to be puposely mean or scoff at your question. I just think that there is a predominant attitude here of, "Do it myself" ,and many would view needing a life-coach in the same light as needing a Dan Wiener newsletter.

This is by and large a kind and helpful place and you would have had a more positive response had you just asked a more direct question as to some input on what would other folks might do if in your position.

Good Luck.

Rebecca_S

Post by Rebecca_S » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:57 pm

As an anecdote with an N=1, the person I know who markets himself as a "life coach" is one of the most $*&$ up people I know. What qualifications does someone have that makes them a life coach? What track record can they point to and how did they receive their education?
Have you considered seeking a pastor or therapist (MS social work or HR, PhD in psych etc) to work through whatever life issue is troubling you? Insurance or EAP will often cover most of the cost. I think that advice from an impartial party can be very useful but I strongly doubt that most people who market themselves as a lifecoach can provide the best advice.

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:02 pm

Rebecca_S wrote:As an anecdote with an N=1, the person I know who markets himself as a "life coach" is one of the most $*&$ up people I know. What qualifications does someone have that makes them a life coach? What track record can they point to and how did they receive their education?
Have you considered seeking a pastor or therapist (MS social work or HR, PhD in psych etc) to work through whatever life issue is troubling you? Insurance or EAP will often cover most of the cost. I think that advice from an impartial party can be very useful but I strongly doubt that most people who market themselves as a lifecoach can provide the best advice.
N=2, The only life coach I know is a bit odd as well. He had a hard life and is trying to give back by making recommendations for others. I don't believe I would follow his advice though.

BearWolf

MP173

Post by MP173 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:05 pm

I had a very good experience with a life coach/councelor back around 2002. We communicated by phone every 2 weeks for an hour and she helped.

She has developed a CEO type consulating business lately and her rates have moved up considerably. She is very good.

If you are interested, PM me and I will pass her info along.

Ed

kenbrumy

Post by kenbrumy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:49 pm

After my firing in 2002, part of my requirement to get my severance was to utilize the services of an outplacement consultant. The guy meant well and explored career interests, skills, resources, etc with me for a couple of months. He tried to help with my resume but I've been doing resumes so long I think I was a better judge about what a manager was looking for than he did. Bottom line, I was 51 YO in a weak economy (not as weak as this one) but age discrimination is alive and well.

After giving up on his "vision quest," I basically found a crappy government contract position that was light years below my capabilities. I paid about 60% of my former salary and I had enough to get by on with only minor economizing of my former lifestyle.

I worked about three days a month there and had infinite time to surf the internet. That's where I discovered the retire early concept and realized that at my lower lifestyle I was already financially independent. I kept looking for a better job and after about two years I got a job paying twice the contract job's pay which was safely over my original position.

Personally, I think you'd get about as much out of a careful reading of What Color is Your Parachute and some anxiety discussions with a minister or counselor, if required. The best therapy for you is probably to get a job, any job, just to give you some diversion from your constant "looking for a job" focus. BTW, I was out of work for 15 months so I know how it gnaws at your mind. I broke up the boredom by substitute teaching. That probably isn't open to you right now in California.

ps --

You missed a great networking opportunity. You could structured your post to say "I was let go 11 months ago from a IT management position with a major company. I've not had any good prospects come up for employment and I'm considering a life coach to help me seek a new direction...."
Last edited by kenbrumy on Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:55 pm

Thanks to kenbrumy and MP173 for getting this thread back on track.

BTW, the previous thread mentioned above is at http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48580

snyder66

Post by snyder66 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:00 pm

I have been very seriously thing about searching for some career coaching. I'm 40 and I feel like I'm treading along with no direction and no idea where to turn for advice. I empathize with you.

Toolbert

Post by Toolbert » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:27 pm

Hah, make that N=3. My experience hiring a "life coach" was that not only was this person totally clueless, but also a nagging concern that I had disclosed a lot of personal information to someone not bound to an ethical code of conduct.

I had better experiences seeking out and talking with people I thought had backgrounds and abilities similar to mine, or who had hired or worked with same.

As just one of several directions of exploration, I browsed my college alumni association's directory in search of local executives in industries I had some interest in, to ask if they'd let me buy lunch or dinner, hear my story and offer their advice.

As it were, one of those folks offered a short contract with his company, that provided a chance to learn something new, that through a few more serendipitous turns of events led me to starting an independent business in that field - nothing I could have imagined 5 years prior, and less $ than my prior career, but far, far more fun and interesting.

I'm leaving out the more personal parts. Needless to say it helps to decide what's important in life, and maybe question some basic assumptions.

Topic Author
RTR2006

Post by RTR2006 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:19 pm

kenbrumy wrote: ps --

You missed a great networking opportunity. You could structured your post to say "I was let go 11 months ago from a IT management position with a major company. I've not had any good prospects come up for employment and I'm considering a life coach to help me seek a new direction...."
I wanted to keep my outline nebulous so that the conditions of my inquiry did not color any responses. I will review the other thread, do appreciate the posts (well, not the snarkiness, but eh, it's a forum...), and hearing from Alex, with whom I've been communicating re this thread (he recommended keeping it up and letting it live out its natural life, which is fine).

Keep the comments coming, but my interest was and is sincere. We're not in any trouble (read "Bogleheads") but want to make the best of this time.

Thank you all,

RTR

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:46 pm

I do know several people that call themselves a life coach and only one has any type of credentials. Anyone can hang a shingle because their are no readily defined standards.

Twenty five years ago when finances hit bottom, I went to the local family services. After two days of testing and interviews (at a sliding scale of costs - which were reasonable because of my circumstances) they steered me to computers and I have never looked back. I had no direction and they definitely helped.

Five years after the tests, I quit the job I had and started my own business and have not looked back. I hope you can find the same advice.

Good luck.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:31 pm

"Seek and Yee shall find."

Posting here is at least a start. Just keep going till something shows up! Stay focused on the end goal, and stay awake for the unexpected opportunities to get there.

Best regards, Tet
RESISTANCE IS FRUITFUL

Harold

Post by Harold » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:38 pm

tetractys wrote:"Seek and Yee shall find."

Posting here is at least a start. Just keep going till something shows up! Stay focused on the end goal, and stay awake for the unexpected opportunities to get there.

Best regards, Tet
So you're saying we need to get this Yee guy working on it? Will anyone named Yee do?

jj

Post by jj » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:01 pm

I have a suggestion.

Our 21 yr-old son has recently completed testing with the Johnson O’Connor Research Foundation. You can find them on the internet at jocrf.org. They have an office in San Francisco. For anyone contemplating a career change I believe their approach is quite different from the norm as it hinges on some fairly unusual tests which determine innate abilities. The procedure was two days of testing, around three hours each day and then a results/counseling session of 60 to 90 minutes a few days later. While confirming a lot of what we knew about our son’s aptitudes it threw up some interesting additional things – both areas to pursue and avoid. While it is too soon to tell yet, I feel confident it will be a useful exercise. The $675 fee also covers an additional counseling session within a year after one has had time to digest the findings.

If you would like more details of our family’s experience I could post more. I have no financial connection with this foundation, but I will say we are planning to use them again for our two younger children and I feel that I would have benefited from this service myself as a youngster.

It’s worth a look.

jj

yobria

Post by yobria » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:37 pm

Well there's this dude:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-11-09/n ... l-coaching

Though on page 2 of the article it began to sound like he needed a life coach himself....

Nick

Munir

Post by Munir » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:54 pm

RTR2006 wrote:

RTR
This forum has a number of individuals who are "know it all' types who think no reasonable person needs any help or advice from anyone else. You're not the first to meet these attitudes here.

I've had training and been certified as a life coach, but chose to pursue other interests. In the course of my training, I've met individuals that I respect and whose advice I value.

It's true that some people advertise themselves as life coaches who have had little training or expertise- as you would find in any field including finance. However, there are legitimate programs that train people to become life coaches, and I would search for a coach who has credentials and some years of experience and references. Interview a few individuals before you decide on one. This is no different than searching for a counselor. Are they guaranteed to be helpful? No, but there are no gurantees in this field or any other. It doesn't mean that you should not seek advice. But remeber that the final judgment comes from within you. If the advice feels "off the wall", don't hesitate to turn it down and try elsewhere.

Topic Author
RTR2006

Post by RTR2006 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:24 am

MP173 wrote:If you are interested, PM me and I will pass her info along.

Ed
Can you please indicate where she is located?

Thanks,

RTR

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:19 pm

kenbrumy wrote: Personally, I think you'd get about as much out of a careful reading of What Color is Your Parachute and some anxiety discussions with a minister or counselor, if required.
Seconded. Before I'd shell out several hundred bucks on a career coach, I'd first shell out $15 or so on Parachute.

It just might do the trick, and you've saved yourself a bunch of money.

JJ