There are many roads to Dublin.....

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LH

There are many roads to Dublin.....

Post by LH »

There are many roads to Dublin, and I will be taking a couple of them in a few days for the next week starting at Dublin airport wednesday : )

cheers,

LH
hsv_climber

Re: There are many roads to Dublin.....

Post by hsv_climber »

LH wrote:There are many roads to Dublin, and I will be taking a couple of them in a few days for the next week starting at Dublin airport wednesday : )
It seems to me that you will be taking roads from Dublin...
kenbrumy

Post by kenbrumy »

Basically, all the better roads in Ireland seem to be designed to get you to or from Dublin. It gets annoying sometimes when you want to go somewhere else and all you have available are glorified cow paths. Have fun and enjoy the sheep and beer.
Jacobkg

Post by Jacobkg »

I recommend paying a visit to Newgrange if you get a chance.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

LH wrote:There are many roads to Dublin, and I will be taking a couple of them in a few days for the next week starting at Dublin airport wednesday : )

cheers,

LH
get out to the West Coast. Especially the middle west coast and the NW coast (beyond Northern Ireland).

It's like another world.
stratton

Post by stratton »

Valuethinker wrote:

cheers,

LH
get out to the West Coast. Especially the middle west coast and the NW coast (beyond Northern Ireland).

It's like another world.
The surfing video Step Into Liquid has several minutes about the surfing scene in that part of Ireland.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
CodeMaster

Post by CodeMaster »

cheers,

LH
lol! have fun!
SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman »

Be careful.
There are many roads to Dublin but not one from Dublin.

Thanks
SP-diceman
SSSS

Post by SSSS »

hsv_climber wrote:It seems to me that you will be taking roads from Dublin...
Are they one-way roads? Otherwise they should work equally well for both "to" and "from". 8)
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

As a certified Boglehead, you must travel to Eire with the following in hand:

Q. Why is Ireland so rich?
A. 'Cause its capital is always Dublin.

:oops:

Really bad, I know...

Happy travels.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
SSSS

Post by SSSS »

I just woke up from a weird nightmare in which I was looking at Google Maps and there were NO roads to Dublin. There was one road going southeast from Dublin, connecting to some small towns, but it was all a dead end, not connected to anything else. There were two long, straight parallel roads going due north from Dublin, but after a while there was just a strip of white emptiness on the map where the roads should have been. They turned back into roads at some point, connecting to the rest of the country, but I somehow knew that going on those roads beyond the point where they went blank on the map would be a profoundly bad idea.

I have to stop reading this forum before bedtime.

Dream analysis, anyone?
Topic Author
LH

Post by LH »

In Galway at the moment, drinking a guinness.
Michael jacksons beat it is the current song playing in the pub.
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

I tried googling it but I couldn't find an answer...where does the saying "there are many roads to Dublin" come from?
Topic Author
LH

Post by LH »

"There is more than one road to Dublin."

Taylor Larimore is the one whom says it not infrequently I believe on this board.

Basically, all roads lead to rome kind of thing, except for Ireland, which was never invaded by the legions, and where there are many roads that lead to Dublin : )

Basically, it was an attention attracting play off Larimores use of it.

http://www.dublintourist.com/maps/irela ... _map.shtml shows the current major roads.

I think the phrase was in an ireland guidebook as well. It basically comes from the fact that it is true, and has been true for quite some time as far as I know, thats all there is to it.
Judsen

Post by Judsen »

Thanks for the map> I was relieved to learn that Dublin has a beltway that goes neither from nor to Dublin but only semi around it.
Bon Voyage. Enjoy!
Be the change you want to see in the world
RobG

Post by RobG »

There are more paths to Half Dome.
BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh »

Going West will lead you to any destination in the East. The travels just may be far.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.
AerialP

Re:

Post by AerialP »

LH wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:28 am "There is more than one road to Dublin."

Taylor Larimore is the one whom says it not infrequently I believe on this board.

Basically, all roads lead to rome kind of thing, except for Ireland, which was never invaded by the legions, and where there are many roads that lead to Dublin : )

Basically, it was an attention attracting play off Larimores use of it.

http://www.dublintourist.com/maps/irela ... _map.shtml shows the current major roads.

I think the phrase was in an ireland guidebook as well. It basically comes from the fact that it is true, and has been true for quite some time as far as I know, thats all there is to it.
Is there not an intention of a "double" entendre? :-) As in, "there is more than one road to doublin' (your net worth)"? We Boglehead adherents can all likely anticipate some manner of growth curving upward but with no exact winning recipe since we all have varied nuanced situations, means, and needs?
22twain

Post by 22twain »

This thread itself may be on the road to doublin' again, after more than twelve years of dormancy.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...