What kind of bicycle to purchase?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
SamB

Post by SamB »

retcaveman wrote:While I never owned a recumbent, I rode with a few people who did. Two problems I observed, in addition to the hill and transporting issues, were a wide turning radius (need a lot of room to turn) and a little more difficulty getting started from a dead stop. On one occasion we were all waiting to cross a county highway and the recumbent couldn't get going quickly enough to make it across with the rest of us.

That aside, the people I know who rode them, loved them. Most all the people had back/neck issues.

I guess one other consideration is safety ie the low profile makes it a little more difficult to be seen. I know there are flags to help with this. Similarly, I also worry when I see parents pulling their kids or dogs in those little carts on public roads (trails are ok). I worry that they won't be seen and a driver, seeing the pulling bike pass will proceed and hit the kids. It looks like fun for the kids, but I think it is dangerous.

Re safety (I am wandering all over in this post) we just lost a club member due to an auto accident. While I wasn't on the ride, a 60 year old member of the club was riding with a large group and was killed by a driver. The driver claimed he just didn't see him.

caveman
It is tough to generalize about recumbents and I saw some problems with the generalizations in this post. First of all, wide turning radius is associated with the long wheel base recumbent. The short wheel base variety has a turning radius less than most diamond frame bikes with the exception of a racing diamond frame, which will shorten the wheel base and to the point of toe/front wheel interference. This type of interference is what you will find on the majority of SWB recumbents.

As far as the visibility issue, unless you get into the very low vcg recumbent this is not an issue. In fact you will find, and this may surprise you, that for 90% of the recumbent geometries your eye level is above the eye level of a driver in a typical sedan. SUV's, trucks, etc. are another story. You will be below them. Additionally, you should be aware that the natural seat/head position for a recumbent rider is the same as it is when driving an automobile. One of the first annoying things you notice after some time on a recumbent is how often an approaching diamond frame rider looks at the front wheel rather than approaching traffic. For most recumbent geometries you cannot even see the front wheel. Your line of vision is the same as it is with a car, and this applies to practically all recumbent geometries.

Recumbents in general have a lower vcg than most diamond frames, and this leads to some adjustments, both in starting and tracking, and also in the types of accidents and injuries that are possible. What can I say, if you lower the vcg, you are going down faster given a loss of traction, and you have less time to reach the critical velocity for balancing when starting. This was an issue for me for about a week, and then it was gone. New riders will go down on their butts a couple of times starting, and that is the way it is. However, as I said this depends on how low the vcg of the recumbent has been placed. I finally bought what I consider to be a high end road bike, Euro-style recumbent and it has two 650cx23 wheels, similar to what you find on tri-bikes. The vcg of this recumbent is quit close to a typical diamond frame, but the Euro-style seat spreads my body along the length of the bike and this means of have to make other adjustments, but it is just a matter of getting used to it.

Now my last observation concerns accidents. I rode diamond frame bikes from age 5 to age 51, touring in southern Ontario, and all over Michigan's lower peninsula in the 60's into the early 70's. I have ridden the Erie canal from Buffalo to Albany and from Albany to NYC on a recumbent. You can be injured on either geometry, diamond frame or recumbent, but there are big differences in your possible injuries. On a diamond frame, the problem is going over the handle bars, and suffering head, shoulder, neck injuries. On a recumbent the only way you can go over the handle bars is to ride it off a cliff. On recumbent the risk is going down on your side by losing traction, and you lose skin, a lot of skin. Additionally, if your foot, which is out in front of you on most recumbents comes off the pedal accidentally, it hits the ground, and gets thrown behind you. The faster you are going the worse the injury. This is why you never, ever ride a recumbent without cleats, period. For me, as I get older, as far as risk of injury is concerned I would rather be on a recumbent. I have gone down and lost skin, but I have never been in a situation which would even remotely result in a head injury, neck injury, or broken collar bone. The skin grew back pretty fast; I went down on wet pavement when the rear wheel lost traction.

I have built two recumbents; which can be seen here,

http://www.bentechbikes.com/builders3.htm

I have owned a BikeE, now defunct, a Rans Tailwind, and now a Bachetta Corsa SS. I do not recommend that you start with the Corsa. The easiest bike to ride, transport, most maneuverable, etc. is the SWB Bentech in the picture above. That bike has a 451 wheel, and a rear 26-inch. It is the best maneuvering bike I have ever ridden. The most comfortable is the LWB, under seat steering, but as pointed out above, it has a large turning radius. That bike is a takeoff of the Ryan Vanguard, which David Gordan Wilson, and MIT mechanical engineering professor rode to class in the early 80's. He authored "Bicycle Science." If you are really interested in bicycles you should check out this book. I never had professor Wilson for any classes, but I remember seeing him on Massachusetts Avenue riding home from work. He never had any visibility problems, and his bike was very similar to the LWB bike I built, and shown in the link above.

Recumbents involve a bunch of design tradeoffs, just like mountain bikes. My own opinion as to why they have not gained wider acceptance is because, face it, most of them are ugly. However, like I said before, you can leave your special clothing, and butt-back-neck issues with your diamond frame if you go this route.

Sam
Scott S

Post by Scott S »

When I got back into bicycling a couple years ago, I started with a $179 Target bike. I rode it around the sports section, and it seemed good enough. Being a mountain bike, it was heavy and tougher to propel than a road bike, but it got me into shape fairly quickly!

Later, when I decided to upgrade, I was able to find a used Bianchi for $350. It's a fantastic bike.

I can't recommend joining a local bicycling club enough -- many of the folks in mine are in their 60's (one is 74!) and they're generally good company.

Also, start planning for next year's Ragbrai. :cool:

- Scott
"Old value investors never die, they just get their fix from rebalancing." -- vineviz
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Amen on the biking club.

While I no longer ride with the informal club... they are a great group of people and are supportive of the people with less skills. Plus, met my wife riding with the group. What a great benefit!

Ed
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

I am the OP. Time for an update on my local bike shop exploits. Yesterday, I went to a LBS that specialized in Trek bikes. It carried a number of other brands. I was politely greeted by a gentlemen who identified himself as the bike shop owner. We talked about my personal situation; old, bad knees, overweight, told to ride by my Dr for exercise and the fact that I would mostly being riding on paved bike paths but occasionally on the beach.

He picked out a couple of bikes he thought would be appropriate for my use. We went outside and he spent time adjusting the bikes for me to ride. It wasn't a Trek but a brand I hadn't heard about. I tilted the bike to the side and threw my right leg over the seat to mount as he had shown me. Unfortunately I missed, kicking the seat with my right leg and falling on my butt in the gravel. Not exactly a Kodak moment. Of course, the new bike fell on top of me. To say I was embarrassed is an understatement. I skinned my left elbow, left knee and right hand. Bleeding slightly, I jumped up and managed to get on the bike. I rode it around, but didn't care for the way it felt.

We then switched to a Trek Navigator 3.0. I managed to mount this bike without embarrassing myself and rode it for quite a while. It felt much better than the first bike. I must admit though, I prefer the Giant Sedona that I rode the previous day to the Trek Navigator. Can't really explain why other than to say it just felt more comfortable and responsive.

Today, I am a bit sore from yesterdays embarrassing fall. It is not like I fell when riding the bike, I fell getting on the bike.

Either today or tomorrow, I plan to visit another LBS and ride Raleigh bikes. If anyone has any input on Raleigh bikes please let me know. I will keep you informed of my adventures. I feel like I am getting close to making a decision on which bike to buy. Thanks for all your help.
Chuck | Past Performance Is Just That - bob | For info on the SC LowCountry & Savannah GA Area Bogleheads contact me at chucktanner46@gmail.com
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

SamB

Thanks for all the info you have provide on recumbent bikes. I hadn't considered them. It appears looking at some of the pictures you provided that a recumbent might be harder to ride than a traditional bike? Is this the case? What is the price range for what you consider to be a recumbent bike that might be appropriate for someone like me? Also, what are some of the brand names they are sold under?
Chuck | Past Performance Is Just That - bob | For info on the SC LowCountry & Savannah GA Area Bogleheads contact me at chucktanner46@gmail.com
retcaveman

Post by retcaveman »

Chuck, while I understand your embarrassment, you aren't the first and won't be the last. Most riders I know have similar stories to tell.

There was one lady who started riding with us. She had trouble mounting and stopping/dismounting her bike (now that is a problem). Stopping was like a controlled crash. She also tended to get her spandex shorts caught on the horn of her seat when attempting to slide back onto her seat.

The unwritten "rule" told to me when I graduated to pedal clips (think down hill ski bindiings) was that people normally fell 3 times before they remembered to unclick from their pedals before stopping. Like the guy on "Laugh-In" who used to ride the tricycle and then would just fall over onto his side. While neither my wife nor I had that problem, we witnessed many others who did.

Your search, including riding several different makes/models and talking with at least a couple different shops is the right way to go. Just like when you first learned to bike as a kid, you were probably a little tentative at first but before long you were a "natural."

caveman
"The wants of mortals are containers that can never be filled." (Socrates)
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Gotta tell a story about falling down.

When in the informal bike group mentioned above (where I met my wife) we had just completed the Saturday morning ride and were all standing (straddling) our bikes chatting.

The man next to me, Bob, had clips on and hadnt unclipped. He began leaning a little towards me. Being new to the group, I didnt know what was going on. He slowly kept leaning a bit more until gravity grabbed ahold and over he went...into me...who went down and into the next person...who went...

Domino effect.

The thing is...get up and get back on.

This has been a very educational thread. Good luck. Keep us informed.

Ed
Scott S

Post by Scott S »

Yep, no shame in falling down a couple times when you get into biking! Mounting and stopping on a road bike are tough at first, since the beginner bikes usually let your feet touch the ground when you're in the seat.

And if you play around with clips, you WILL fall down in an embarrassing way. After successfully riding around my neighborhood, I came to a stop and promptly fell over on my side -- IN FRONT OF MY OWN HOUSE! :lol:

One nice thing about recumbent bikes -- especially trikes -- is that you can take a hand off the handlebars to push on your knees on the uphills. Sort of like how you can assist a leg-press motion.

- Scott
"Old value investors never die, they just get their fix from rebalancing." -- vineviz
superlight

Post by superlight »

My falling down story:

Back in the day we tightened up straps on the pedals of our road bikes. You had to remember to reach down and uncinch them before putting a foot down. One day I'm tired and uncinch right foot, and then lean a little too far to the left as I slow down. Boom, I go, from a riding position onto my left shoulder.

This is the best part:

The kid on the Big Wheel says "Mr. ... are you all right?"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

OP here.

Thanks to Caveman, Ed, Scott and Superlight for their own stories about embarrassing bike moments. I feel much better about it thsn yesterday. As I said, I didn't fall while riding thankfully. I fell trying to mount the bike.

Late yesterday, I went back to the LBS dealer that carried Giant bikes. They called and wanted to show me a Sun step thru model. I rode it around but didn't get excited about its looks or feel. I then rode the Sedona again. It really feels good to me.

This morning I went to another LBS. They specialize in Raleigh bikes. I rode a Raleigh Venture step thru and their conventional Raleigh Comfort bike. They were less expensive thssn the Giant and Trek bikes but didn't seem to be anything special.

Getting close to selection time. I will keep you posted.
RedHeadedStranger

"What kind of bicycle to purchase?"

Post by RedHeadedStranger »

I'm a bit top-heavy (most of my body mass is in my chest and shoulders) so riding a regular bicycle for any length of time hurts my wrists. I like recumbent bikes and trikes.

They are hideously expensive but it's worth it to me. Biking should be fun, not painful. I much prefer the under-seat handlebars, too. It's easier on the shoulders, especially on an extended ride.

There's a website (Atomic Zombie) that will sell you the plans for making several different types of bikes and trikes. It could save a lot of money if you're a DIY type. Good luck!
"Honi soit qui mal y pense."
SamB

Post by SamB »

Chuck T wrote:SamB

Thanks for all the info you have provide on recumbent bikes. I hadn't considered them. It appears looking at some of the pictures you provided that a recumbent might be harder to ride than a traditional bike? Is this the case? What is the price range for what you consider to be a recumbent bike that might be appropriate for someone like me? Also, what are some of the brand names they are sold under?
Here is a link to get you started, http://www.bentrideronline.com/. Click on the links to peruse the different brands. This website also has reviews and a lot of rider experiences with recumbents. You might also consider trikes. They are becoming very popular.

If recumbents were harder to ride I would not be riding them. Depending on the geometry they may be harder to start from a standing stop, but this problem is easily dealt with. Other than that, recumbents are just bicycles with a seat instead of a saddle. The riding technique is completely different from that of a diamond frame. You stay relaxed from the waist up, and you are in one fixed position on a recumbent. All of the movement is in the legs. There is no pulling on the handle bars, or body movement in turns. It is similar to riding a motorcycle.

There are a huge number of variations for recumbents; the design is pretty much anything goes relative to the diamond frame geometry. Here are two designs that have been around for 25 years that bracket the design spectrum, http://www.lightningbikes.com/, and http://www.easyracers.com/. The Lightning P-38 is a classic short wheel base (SWB) design. The Tour Easy made by Easy Racers is a classic Long Wheel Base (LWB) design. Back in the '80's a land speed record was set with a variant of the Tour Easy, and it is on exhibit in the Smithsonian. It was more HPV than bicycle, however. The Tour Easy with Zipper fairing is more stable than a diamond frame at high speeds (more than 25mph) and less stable below 5 mph. The P-38 is similar in handling to a road bike with a short wheel base - not a touring bike.

I will let you check out the prices on your own. I own three bikes and most of the people I ride with own several bikes - recumbent, fixed gear, tandems, and road bikes. If I had to recommend a place for you to start I would say the Tour Easy or Gold Rush with the zipper fairing. Do not buy this bike without the fairing. This is a very popular design for your age group. The bike is not a slow bike, and generally the people that buy this design do not trade it in on something else.

The cheapest bike is a used bike, so search the web. You may find a deal. Don't buy a cheap recumbent. You will regret it.

One other thing. When you sit on the recumbents that you test ride they should be as comfortable as sitting in your car. The seat should be at the same angle. If you prefer more upright or laid back then make sure the seat gets adjusted that way. Basically, the seat should be so supportive and comfortable that after riding for two hours you basically do not feel compelled to get out of it.

Sam
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

This thread is way too long to read. I apologize for grunching.
http://www.pietzo.com/journey-electric-bicycle
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

SamB

Thanks for the follow-up information on recumbent bikes. I read with interest, the links you provided. Perhaps what I should have said, they look like they might be harder to start pedaling than a traditional bike. I will continue to research them and check the prices.

linenfort

Don't think an electric bike would help me achieve the objective my Dr set for me. That is ti get exercise riding a bike to help me lose weight and improve my overall health. As for the length of the thread being a problem, you don't have to read it if the length is a problem for you.

I needed help from forum members and I requested their assistance. I am grateful for the information that so many have providied.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

This has been a great thread for me as I'm considering getting a new bike too - just for casual fun and exercise. My current bike puts too much weight on my wrists - so it is only fun for about 30 minutes. I've learned a lot about other shaped alternatives here.

I would like to mention one other option you might want to check out just for giggles - a Trikke! No, not a bike or a recumbant bike, but something like a scooter, but not a scooter. It's a human powered carving vehicle!

www.trikke.com and there is a dealer in Charleston.

Just plain fun and excellent all over body exercise. I like it so much, I almost always use the Trikke instead of my bike. It can be difficult to ride on anything but relatively flat ground with relatively smooth pavement. I mostly use it on a bike path. Just perfect. And my "statistics" are not too different from yours, knees and all. So don't assume since you only see youngsters on the video that this vehicle is not suited for you.

For riding in the neighborhood (more hills and rougher pavement) I use my bike more.

A tip of the hat to another poster here for introducing me to this wonderful thing! Sorry, I've lost the post and forgotten the name, but you know who you are. Trikke on!
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

Retiredjg

Trikke: definitely a new one on me. Looks interesting. After reading your post, I spent about an hour last night looking at the content on the Trikke website and in particular watching the Youtube videos on how to setup and ride a Trikke. I can see where the back and forth body motion to move the Trikke would provide a real workout. It is interesting, but I am not sure it would work for me. The bike paths I plan to ride don't appear wide enough for the Trikke's required back and forth motion. I would probably fall and hurt myself. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Perhaps it will appeal to some of the younger Bogleheads.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Chuck T wrote:The bike paths I plan to ride don't appear wide enough for the Trikke's required back and forth motion. I would probably fall and hurt myself.
It does help to have a wider path. You can do it in about 5 feet. My local path is about 8 feet wide and two of us can ride side by side if we are just cruising. If there is an incline, we have to separate and use more space. Part depends on how many users are on the path. If it is busy and you are taking up a lot of room, it annoys others who want to pass from behind. This is rarely a problem in my area.

I doubt you would fall much if at all - these things are incredibly stable. Getting on the first time is a bit scary because it just looks unstable. Once on, you see that there is no tippiness at all.
Perhaps it will appeal to some of the younger Bogleheads.
Perhaps, but us oldsters like it too! I have to say that some of the kids in the neighborhood are oh so envious of this old lady....
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

Well, my journey is over, or more appropriately just beginning. Today I purchased my comfort bike. After riding numerous bikes including some from Trek, Giant and Raleigh, I selected the Giant Sedona. Not sure why but it seemed to fit my body better and I found it more comfortable to ride.

The Sedona was $380 plus tax. They threw in a couple of goodies like a holder and water bottle, horn and reflectors. In addition, I purchased a helmet. Clearly the LBS route was the way to go. Thanks to those of you for recommending I buy from an LBS. Forgot to mention, the LBS has given me a 2 yr warranty for all adjustments and 20% off any additional items I purchase during that 2 year period.

I want to thank all of you for helping me throughout the process. Your input has been valuable. I also enjoyed hearing some of you share your own bike riding experiences.

Wish me luck as I ride to improve my health. Thanks to all.
Stonebr

Post by Stonebr »

Chuck T wrote:Well, my journey is over, or more appropriately just beginning. Today I purchased my comfort bike.
Suggest your next stop be bikeforum.com -- another welcoming, well-moderated forum.

I've found motivation through keeping track of my rides in a little notebook. A few years ago I bought a trip computer and keep mileage and average speed records. That way I know for sure whether I've been slacking off or improving.
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

Stonebr wrote:
Chuck T wrote:Well, my journey is over, or more appropriately just beginning. Today I purchased my comfort bike.
Suggest your next stop be bikeforum.com -- another welcoming, well-moderated forum.

I've found motivation through keeping track of my rides in a little notebook. A few years ago I bought a trip computer and keep mileage and average speed records. That way I know for sure whether I've been slacking off or improving.
Stonebr

Great idea to log/record your trips in a small book. I will probably add a computer after I evaluate what one to buy. They have wired and wireless and a dizzying array of functions. Any suggestions?

I will do as you suggest and go to bikeforum.com
infecto

Post by infecto »

Chuck T wrote:
Stonebr wrote:

Stonebr

Great idea to log/record your trips in a small book. I will probably add a computer after I evaluate what one to buy. They have wired and wireless and a dizzying array of functions. Any suggestions?

I will do as you suggest and go to bikeforum.com
Wired imo. If installed properly its not unsightly.

This is just me but the only thing I would look for is getting one that tracks your cadence. You can always get a rough idea of your cadence yourself but for new riders it can be helpful to keep it in the right range.
Stonebr

Post by Stonebr »

I bought a cheap wired computer (Cateye Velo 5) for my mountain bike, and a wireless (Cateye Wireless Strada) for the road bike. I like the wireless one better, but only because the wiring is a bit untidy on the Velo 5.
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

[/quote] Wired imo. If installed properly its not unsightly.

This is just me but the only thing I would look for is getting one that tracks your cadence. You can always get a rough idea of your cadence yourself but for new riders it can be helpful to keep it in the right range.[/quote]

Infecto and Stonbr

Don't I also want the computer to measure the distance I travel? This would seem like a basic function that most computers would include. Is this correct? What was the difference in price between the wired and wirelss model?
retcaveman

Post by retcaveman »

Congratulations.

Sounds like you landed a good deal from a decent bike shop. Don't be afraid to use them, meaning go back with questions and have your bike adjusted as needed. I know I sometimes need to hear things a couple times before they sink in, expecially if it's a subject with which I am not familiar.

Re computers. Like most things there is a whole range, depending upon how involved you want to get. We have owned a Cat Eye brand, which has been around a long time, Topeak with only one button to manipulate and a Trek Incite 8i which is wireless, which I prefer. (We actually have 4 8i's currently.) The Topeak worked well but the numbers were small and had more functions than I needed. The 8i has eight functions. The ones we use most are: current speed, trip distance, average speed and current time (clock). It also tracks elapsed time (total time pedaling), maximum speed achieved, total mileage (odometer) and a pacer (tells you if you are riding above or below your average speed).

I have read comments from riders who don't like the Treks. There are several other makes and I suspect others will put forward their own preferences.

Our first year or so of riding, we didn't have a computer. It seemed like a frivolous purchase at the time. But after we finally got one, it made us more focused. We track our mileage on a calendar totalling it by week, month and year and compare the cumulative total with the previous year. Wouldn't ride without one now.

Hope you enjoy your bike and the health benefits that go with riding. Good luck.

caveman
"The wants of mortals are containers that can never be filled." (Socrates)
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

Caveman

I forgot to mention that the LBS from which I purchased my bike is 1 mile from my house and located along the bike path I will ride the most. This will prove convenient if I have bike issues while riding.

Thank you for all the detailed info you have provided me.
Fallible

Re: What kind of bicycle to purchase?

Post by Fallible »

Chuck T wrote:My doctor has recommended that I ride a bicycle for daily exercise. I am in my mid sixties, haven't ridden a bike for a number of years, and live in an area that is relatively flat ( and the roads are safe).
No matter what bike you choose or where you get it (and you've had some excellent suggestions on this thread), I would start slowly (maybe every other day, rather than daily) with an emphasis on safety and that's because you haven't ridden for some years. I've seen lots of friends in their sixties who, after retiring, take up new sports and overdo it, leading to injuries. (I'm also in my 60s, but have been biking all my life and also have a stationary bike I ride during the winter. For outdoors, I ride a "comfort bike" purchased in a nearby bike shop.) I agree with an earlier poster here that you might also buy a stationary bike to help you gradually and safely get in shape for the more rigorous outdoor biking.
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

Fallible wrote:
Chuck T wrote:My doctor has recommended that I ride a bicycle for daily exercise. I am in my mid sixties, haven't ridden a bike for a number of years, and live in an area that is relatively flat ( and the roads are safe).
No matter what bike you choose or where you get it (and you've had some excellent suggestions on this thread), I would start slowly (maybe every other day, rather than daily) with an emphasis on safety and that's because you haven't ridden for some years. I've seen lots of friends in their sixties who, after retiring, take up new sports and overdo it, leading to injuries. (I'm also in my 60s, but have been biking all my life and also have a stationary bike I ride during the winter. For outdoors, I ride a "comfort bike" purchased in a nearby bike shop.) I agree with an earlier poster here that you might also buy a stationary bike to help you gradually and safely get in shape for the more rigorous outdoor biking.
Fallible

Thank you for your thoughtful advice. I selected a comfort bike to purchase. I live in an area where the weather is conducive to riiding an outdoor bike year round. As for a stationary bike, the fitness center in my housing development has several which I can use whenever I want. I rhink your idea to start slowly is a good one and one I will adopt. Thanks
SamB

Post by SamB »

Chuck T wrote:
Don't I also want the computer to measure the distance I travel? This would seem like a basic function that most computers would include. Is this correct? What was the difference in price between the wired and wirelss model?
Here is a good deal to a computer that displays cadence, speed, and distance simultaneously. I just installed this computer one month ago, and it works fine. For some reason the computer manufacturers are not selling as many computers that have this three part display.
http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp?IGPK=2126175110

It is very important to be aware of your cadence. As your muscles strengthen you will tend to slow down. This is a mistake because your knees cannot take it. This computer also has a more durable braided sheathing.

Sam
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

Used bikes can be a good deal. The tires on used bikes often worn out. I usually end up replacing the tires and tubes. Replace them if they are obviously cracked or if you have problems with too many flat tires.

You could try a health club with stationary bikes.

Depending on your climate, your biking might be limited in some seasons.

It's a good idea to get some training on safety from a book, the web, or a local biking advocacy group.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Chuck T wrote: Fallible

Thank you for your thoughtful advice. I selected a comfort bike to purchase. I live in an area where the weather is conducive to riiding an outdoor bike year round. As for a stationary bike, the fitness center in my housing development has several which I can use whenever I want. I rhink your idea to start slowly is a good one and one I will adopt. Thanks
Thanks and enjoy your rides!
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

Chuck T wrote: linenfort

Don't think an electric bike would help me achieve the objective my Dr set for me. That is ti get exercise riding a bike to help me lose weight and improve my overall health.
For what it's worth, the electric part is just for getting to places when you don't want to arrive all sweaty, like the office. Or to get home when you've overdone it. It is definitely meant to be pedaled when you don't need the aid of electricity.
mmadsen

Post by mmadsen »

I mountian bike alot and the best advice I can give is dont buy one from walmart or any place like that, you cant repar them and they fall apart. I use gints and really like them.