Fitness - what works for you?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MP173

Fitness - what works for you?

Post by MP173 »

I am struggling with my weight and overall conditioning. I consider myself in "decent shape".

Cardio about 5x per week anywhere from 30 minutes to 1:15. Over the years that has included jogging (9-10 minute pace), swimming (1 mile), stationary bike, and outdoor bike. I tend to go with what is in "season". Right now it is outdoor bike, but with the daylight loss (morning) that will soon change. Also do pushups and setups daily and resistance bands every other day (2 sets of 15 reps, 10 exercizes).

My goals are:

1. Cardio health (strong ticker obviously)
2. Weight management
3. Muscle tone
4. Overall improvement in nutrition.

What has worked for others?

Bio:

Age 55, 6'7", 265 pounds
BP = 120/80.
Resting heart = 60bpm
Never had a high level of upper body strength, but very developed legs (from biking and running)

Trends developed this summer:

1. Resistance bands since June
2. Pushup/situps about 3 weeks (can tell a big difference)
3. Concentration on diet, reduction in bread products and reduction in snacks. Reduction in diet soda to 12 ounces per day (down from about 48 ounces) ... replaced by water.

I eat too much. There is no doubt about it. This week (a typical week) had 6 bike rides (between 56 minutes to 1:30), daily pushups, and resistance bands 3 times. That should be plenty of exercize.

What is working for others?

Ed
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

My best results have come when my exercise has been something I really enjoy. Playing sports, climbing, cycling come to mind. I have a hard time enjoying running and weight lifting. I do it, but mostly to train for doing stuff I like.

As far as your overeating problem, realize the key isn't food selection, it's portion control. Stop eating when you're no longer hungry. Amazing how well that works.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Toons

Post by Toons »

Ive done a lot of different exercising over the years,running,biking,weightlifting,tennis,lots of golf ,swimming.
The 2 exercises that I have found that are most beneficial for overall
conditioning and easy on the joints is a regular program of swimming and biking no less than 5 times per week
That in conjuction with moderate caloric intake(lots of chicken ,fruit,vegetables,peanuts,water) has helped keep me in
good if not excellent physical condition

When eating ,give the food about 5 minutes to get to your stomach
:D :D
Last edited by Toons on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

I saw your post on the other thread and you mentioned lifting weights bothers your shoulders - I think things like swimming, resistance bands, doing the elliptical, etc would be best. You're getting cardio and toning your muscles at the same time.

I do a bit of a mix (I'm in my mid-20's:

Typical Split (1st set 15 reps, 2nd set 12 reps, 3rd set 10 reps - increasing weight with each rep):

Chest/Triceps
Biceps/Back
Shoulders/Legs

After I finish my weight training I usually do high intensity interval training (HIIT). Basically sprint/fast jog for 30 seconds and walk for 30 seconds - typically I do this for 5 minutes at the start and increase by one minute each week. Once I get to 15 I start over and switch it up with swimming, biking, etc.

I also throw in light jobs or long walks usually once or twice a week. Usually a few months out of the year (spring) I put off weight lifting and focus on training for a long distance race. You might want to look into a Sprint Triathlon (750 m swim, 20 km bike, 5 km run) as a goal as I think it covers all the fitness areas you're looking for.

As for eating - just eat less. Most people know what to do ... you just have to do it. There is no other way 8)

Hope this helps.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I am slowly getting back into exercise after my injuries and surgeries. I have no upper body strength. My regimen is now:

Run or Cycle 6 days a week. I choose depending on weather and how I feel:
Run (2 to 3 miles) I am not fast, but it is hot here: 11 min/mile if 3 miles; 10 min/mile if 2 miles, so a 25 to 33 min run. My goal is a 5K in 30 min. Stop laughing.
Cycling (20 miles) Last year, I could do this in about an hour, but it takes longer this year as I've only re-started. My goal is to do this in under an hour routinely.

In addition to the cardio,
Basketball (1 hour, full court) once or twice a week.
Light weights 3 times a week for upper body and some specific physical therapy stuff.

I'm over 50 years old, 5'11" 165 lbs
Resting heart rate in the morning is about 40, I use a Garmin HRM when I run/cycle. The HRM really helps me not overdo it.
BP this a.m. was 104/62 (I have an Omron with memory)

Diet: Chocolate skim milk after a run or bike ride. Cereal for breakfast, salads for lunch, fish 3 or 4 times a week, not much beef, some chicken. Pizza, candy, junk food otherwise, soft drinks, lots of skim milk. I eat out alot, but usually eat half in the restaurant and take-home half. I don't think I eat a lot at meals, but I sure snack in-between.

BTW, I never ran until this year. I now find it enjoyable and easy because I've changed from slow overstriding gait to a high cadence rabbit. I'm actually more sore nowadays from cycling than from running and I've cycled for decades. I think that's just because I haven't been on my bike much this year.
Last edited by livesoft on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opponent Process

Post by Opponent Process »

if you like to eat a lot, try to focus on more nutrient dense foods. salads with broccoli, etc...I think your body will feel sated quicker if you stuff it with nutrient-dense whole foods. reduce diet soda to 0 and replace with water, or try something like nuun, which has a cola flavor. you might be depleting your body of nutrients with all that exercise.
30/30/20/20 | US/International/Bonds/TIPS | Average Age=37
ithryn

Post by ithryn »

I look at food portions and imagine how big my stomach is. I don't mean my abdomen, I mean my stomach which is probably a little bigger than my fist.

Let the food hit before deciding whether I'm really hungry. And eat smaller healthy snacks more often rather than a big plate of food. I also don't use big plates anymore!! It was amazing how much I reduced my eating just by not using a big plate and piling on a slab of meat and then trying to get decent portions of rice/potatoes/etc and vegetables. In the old days I think I used to eat 2 lbs of food for dinner. Crazy.

More protein. Eggs, Kashi cereal, low carb bread for peanut butter and jelly, etc. Use a protein shake even when you're not exercising.

Hope this helps! :)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

My HRM also estimates calories used. I was surprised that running for 30 minutes is only 350 calories for me. Bike riding for 60 minutes is about 650 calories for me. Since 3500 calories is supposed to be about 1 pound of weight, I don't think my exercising for an hour a day 6-days a week even adds up to 3500 calories a week. I don't see any chance of weight loss since the chocolate milk I drink is about the same calories I use up.
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

it's 90% diet. monitor and reduce your daily calorie intake.

good luck.
scouter

Post by scouter »

1. Swimming 1 mile, 3 - 4 times a week. Plus walking 1 - 3 miles every evening with my dog (we walk fairly fast), and occasional light weight training. (low weights and high reps).

2. Healthy diet.

3. 8 hours of sleep a night.

If I keep up with all three of these, I feel exactly like I felt at age 30. If I let just one of them slip for a few days I start feeling my true age. (54)

By the way, new studies show that inadequate sleep can cause weight gain-
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

livesoft wrote:My HRM also estimates calories used. I was surprised that running for 30 minutes is only 350 calories for me. Bike riding for 60 minutes is about 650 calories for me. Since 3500 calories is supposed to be about 1 pound of weight, I don't think my exercising for an hour a day 6-days a week even adds up to 3500 calories a week. I don't see any chance of weight loss since the chocolate milk I drink is about the same calories I use up.
You have identified the key problem with low intensity exercise to lose weight. It simply does not consume a sufficient number of calories to result in appreciable weight loss. It is much more effective to use the exercise time in weight training to add 5 lbs of muscle to your body, which will consume 500 calories per day or 3500 calories per week, thus burning off 1 lb of fat per week, every week.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

What works for weight loss?

Exercise alone won't cut it. You need to reduce your calorie intake. To that end:

Drink a large glass of water before sitting down to gobble.

One serving (not two or three).

Lots of vegetables. Thick slices of multi-grain bread. Small portions of meat.

Stay away from soda pop.

Lots of people (me included) eat reflexively. How many times do you yank open the refrigerator in an evening? See the same things sitting there? (They don't move around after you close the door.)

I dropped forty pounds over two or three years by just controlling portions, refills, and replacing greasy crap with less greasy crap.

And this is important: WEIGH YOURSELF ON AN HONEST SCALE NAKED. EVERY MORNING. ONCE YOU REACH YOUR GOAL, IT'S EASY TO LET IT ALL SLIP AWAY IF YOU DON'T KEEP CHECKING.

DAILY.
Encheiridion

Post by Encheiridion »

MP173,

I have met numerous people over the years who claim to be overeating, but in fact are doing the complete opposite (which is significantly worse for you). The only way to be certain of whether or not you are in fact overeating is to monitor your daily caloric intake for roughly a week. During this week, do not change any eating habits or routines, as you are trying to determine what you are currently fueling your body with. Finally, write down all the days food intake, or use an online food tracker like: thedailyplate (sorry, the forum doesn't let me post the hyperlink).

Once you have determined you daily caloric intake level, you need to compare this average value with your basal needs (i.e., the average calories that your body needs to maintain proper function without going into "starvation" mode). Typically, your basal caloric needs are roughly 10-12 times your body weight in pounds. Thus, for the weight you provided, your basal needs are in the range of: 2650 - 3180 cals. Think of this range as the threshold you do not want to cross; in other words, do not consume less calories throughout the day than this, as your body will start to go into a form of starvation in which your metabolism slows down and you actually gain weight because your body is not being properly fueled.

After calculating your basal needs, you can determine the total amount of calories you need throughout the day by adding your activity level caloric requirements to your basal needs. Your activity level is independent of your exercise regimen, and typically corresponds to something like: 100 - 250 cals for sedentary lifestyle (sitting at a computer all day), 250 - 500 cals for moderate lifestyle (walking from place to place throughout day), 500 - 1000 cals for active lifestyle (constantly on feet walking/running all over creation). My guess is that you fall somewhere in the 100 - 500 cal. range (most people do), so I will use these numbers from here on out.

Let's say you have a borderline sedentary/moderate activity level, we will then add 250 cals to your basal needs. Thus, your daily caloric target range is approximately: 2900 - 3430 cals. Again, basal + activity level.

To lose weight (assuming you are providing adequate sustenance for your body), all that is required is a caloric deficit. Typically, this is divided between cutting back your calories and exercising. If we shoot for the standard 1 - 2 pounds per week lost, you need to eliminate or burn off approximately 500 - 1000 cals per day, as another poster already mentioned 1 lb of fat is approximately 3500 cals.

Now, to meet the caloric deficit needs, I usually start with the exercise regime, as this is usually much easier for me to control. I know you said that your exercises are varied, so I will use running/jogging as the prototype. If you run/jog for 30 mins at your 9 - 10 min/mile pace, you will run approximately 3 miles. Running, on average, consumes about 100 - 110 cals per mile, so you have effectively burned off ~300 cals.

To obtain the 500 cal deficit required for 1 lb lost each week, you then only need to cut your caloric intake by roughly 200 cal. This dietary cut plus your exercise equals the 500 cals.

As for what exercises/fitness aspects to do, this is a big can of worms and numerous people will have numerous suggestions. For what its worth, here are my two cents. Currently, your exercise and training system is pretty good. You have tons of long, slow cardio, which is excellent for the heart. However, your body tends to quickly adapt to this type of cardio. My suggestion (please start extremely slow if you plan to pursue this avenue, as I do not wish you to overexert yourself) is to add interval training, which is basically raising your heartbeat to about 90% of your maximum (roughly 140 bpm in your case) for very short periods of time (often less than 30 seconds) and repeating. This can be accomplished in numerous ways from rapidly accelerating throughout your run/jog to swimming faster to increasing your cadence on the bike.

The key with this form of training is that your heartbeat reaches what is known as your anabolic threshold level (i.e., the level in which you start to feel lactic acid build up through out your body). This serves two purposes: 1. it increases the net calories burned throughout the exercise and 2. it increases your metabolic rate for typically 18 hours after you exercise. This leads to accelerated caloric burn off. Again, this form of exercise is not for everyone, as it is a bit more demanding on the body. So please, start slowly and build up to levels you are satisfied with.

The only other thing I might suggest is do not do your set/reps for predefined numbers (you mentioned 2 sets at 15 reps). Instead, do each set for as many reps as you can possibly do until fatigue sets in, or in other words, continue until you absolutely cannot do another. This will help build more muscle, which is turn will help cut more fat.

Again, these are suggestions, and are certainly not the norm for everyone. If you plan to implement some training as described, I suggest you start slowly and make sure your body is ok in handling the added stress. And if you feel any pain (outside of possibly fatigue), stop what you are doing. You do not want to overexert yourself and cause more harm than good.

Edit:

Also, I disagree about checking your weight each and every day, as your weight can fluctuate by +- 4 lb throughout normal actions. Furthermore, many people get discouraged when their weight rises from day to day and proceed to eat less throughout that particular day (which again is worse than overeating in many respects). I recommend weighing yourself first thing in the morning, once a week, on the same day (I weigh myself on Sunday morning).

I hope this helps.
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Thanks for all the responces.

supraacumen...that was quite a detailed overview. Thanks for the details. There are a number of points which make sense to me.
1. The detailed explanation of caloric needs and burning are very enlightening.
2. The interval training is something which I can easily achieve. In fact, my bike route contains a number of hills, and while I tend to slow down and ease thru these hills, I will gradually push thru. The hills cannot be avoided and my heartbeat does increase dramatically. How many intervals would you suggest?
3. Would you consider pushups to be a form of intervals? I notice a complete expenditure of energy with each set. The heartrate is pushed. What about jumping rope? I am looking for alternative forms, rather than running (sprinting).

I have a problem with supply. I eat too much and probably not the correct foods. Working at home several times a week (salesman working out of my house), I roam the house and tend to "grab and go" when in the kitchen. At this time, the snack of choice is almonds and peanuts.

As a salesman in Chicago area, I am tempted with absolutely the best possible foods - hot dogs, Italian beef, Italian and Polish sausage, incredible ethnic foods and delis. Over the years I have modified my eating habits...but those habits are hard to break.

Ten years ago I became a single parent and with two boys, meals became an important event for us. I cooked well, primarily "comfort foods." Plus my youngest son is allergic to chicken and turkey.

I have work to do. Weigh in today was 278 pounds, not the 265 I originally posted. Obviously I under reported...probably avoiding reality.

Just as we have individual investment plans for our financial health, I need to articulate goals and make changes to my lifestyle.

Thanks for all the help.

Ed
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Its always a struggle. Just like finances. Work at it. What works for me to keep it up after 45 years is having low self esteem. I am not joking! When I work out, I feel normal afterwords. Works just about every time, but I don't have to work out every day, 3 or 4 times a week is fine. You don't have to have a complicated diet or workout program. Keep it simple. Its the consistency that worked for me.
Steve
Last edited by sschullo on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
arthurb999

Post by arthurb999 »

I've had tremendous success following the nutritional guidelines at marksdailyapple.com

I strength train 2x a week, do sprints once a week and sometimes do a 5k for time. Make your workouts intense.

Rest of the time, just stay active... sports, walking, hiking, yoga, whatever.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Just finished reading this thread,,,going for a bananna ,a granola bar and a short bike ride,,,,,, :D :D :D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
exigent

Post by exigent »

Earlier this year I started running regularly (for the first time in my life). When I run, it's usually in the 3-5 mile range. I also row and use the elliptical for a total of 4-5 reasonably intense cardio workouts of 40-60 minutes each per week.

Beyond that, I made two changes to my diet:

(1) I try to eat a simple breakfast every day - a bowl of raisin bran and a serving of yogurt. In the past I usually skipped breakfast and then pigged out at lunch.

(2) I now eat a healthy (and tasty) sandwich at lunch nearly every weekday. Turkey on wheat with lettuce, tomato, bell peppers. I was previously eating pizza, burger and fries, that sort of thing, every day for lunch.

I'm 6'5" and weighed around 250 when I started. Currently 228 and falling. It's been a very painless transition.

Hope this helps.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

I find gyms boring and inconvenient, but I love going for my morning run. It's my quiet/meditation time.

I run for about 45 minutes to an hour depending on my schedule and energy level.

A couple years ago I started running with a barbell in each hand. I started with 5 pounds each and moved up to 10 pounds in each hand. It makes a huge difference and makes running more of an overall workout.

Add in 100 sit ups and 100 push ups every couple days and it works for me.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Just wanted to point out that if you are using heart rate to determine exertion level, anaerobic threshold, lactate threshold or whatever, that it is a very individual number. That "roughly 140 bpm" mentioned earlier could really range very widely away from that.
neverknow

Post by neverknow »

Last edited by neverknow on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yobria

Post by yobria »

Gekko wrote:it's 90% diet. monitor and reduce your daily calorie intake.

good luck.
For me, it's 90% exercise. I eat whatever I want, but I bike approx 160 miles per week (40, 40, then 80 on the weekend), and punctute that with long hikes (18 mile Yosemite Half Dome hike last Saturday), and a rowing machine for the upper body.

When it comes to both eating and exercise, I do only what I really enjoy. It helps to live in a part of the country where restaurants serve real food (not doused in cheese and grease), and where you can exercise outdoors year round. San Fran isn't the thinnest city in America by chance.

Nick
neverknow

Post by neverknow »

DaveH

Post by DaveH »

We've been running 5k's to keep in shape. It's fun, too!
The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. — Socrates
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Can this be true?

I checked an on line caloric burned calculator and input my data for bikings:

278 pounds, 75 minutes, 14-16mph pace

Total calories burned 1576. That seems rather high. When I dropped it down to 12-14mph it registered 1261.

My pace is normally about 14.5 mph, which includes hills. A year ago I would be at 15.5mph with a much flatter course.

I dont get it. That seems really high. If correct, my caloric intake must be thru the roof.

Ed
tmhalley

Post by tmhalley »

I have had good results with the following:

1. Record everything that you eat. Calorie Count is an excellent website for recording what you eat. It calculates total calories and nutrients ach day.

2. Establish a regular exercise schedule. For me, I do weight training every other day on Nautilis equipment. The days that I am not weight training, I do aerobic exercise - usually long walks in the morning.

3. Keep your mind busy. I do a lot or reading - usually investment books and some fiction.

4. Help other people. I do a lot of volunteer work in my community. This provides some exercise and keeps your mind off food.

Results: I have lost 40 pounds in 6 months. Best I have felt in the last 20 years.
Toni Doyle

Post by Toni Doyle »

As a personal trainer I can only offer the same advice I give to everyone. Think "boring", eat the same old boring stuff almost every day until you've reached your goal weight. I know it's not what everbody else says, but at 52 and in the best shape ever it's what works. I eat oatmeal w/low fat milk or unfrosted shredded wheat for breakfast. I eat walnuts (use to eat almonds but they taste better salted, no added salt) for snacks, and grilled chicken, salmon, or pasta with fresh (frozen when fresh is not available) veggies for dinner. I drink a glass of wine several times a week w/dinner and eat a dessert when I really have to. I do bike 3 times a week and do weight training once a week. No junk in the house for the most part (partner loves sweets so I make an exception) and drink water when thirsty. Try it for as long as you can and you will see a difference and just maybe you'll stick it out until it works. Good luck!
Tylenol Jones

Post by Tylenol Jones »

This guy has some awesome nutrition advice that worked out for me. Check his new fitness booklet for free http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
xystici

Post by xystici »

I exercise every day, no matter what. At least 1 hour a day, 365 days of the year. I alternate running and weights. Every other day I run. Every other day I do weights in the gym (upper body). My body weight has been the same since I was 20 for the last 16 years, +-1%. I do not diet; I like to eat quite a bit, and I eat everything (e.g. meat, fish, pasta, rice, fruits, vegetables, etc). I do not have sweet desserts thought (I prefer fruit instead) and I love milk.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

Playing sports are the best cardio because a.) it's fun so it's much more likely you'll do it regularly and b.) it's not steady-state, meaning it approximates a real-world interval workout, which is much better for weight-loss and all-around cardiovascular health.

Also, if your goal is weight loss you need to be doing strength training in the gym. I'd shoot for 50/50 weights/cardio. Doing 100% cardio isn't a very effective way to lose weight. Focus on compound, total-body weight workouts, preferably involving your lower body and back. Squats, deadlifts, clean and press, pullups, bench press, etc are all exercises you should be doing.
xystici wrote: Every other day I run. Every other day I do weights in the gym (upper body).
Why do you only do upper-body exercises in the gym? Your upper body will develop much more quickly if you throw in a heavy dose of lower- or at least total-body workouts because the large muscles in your legs and lower back will generate a lot more testosterone. Running, even up hills, is not an acceptable substitute for good old fashioned squats, dead lifts, and maybe even a clean and press routine.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Walk, walk, and walk. The best exercise known to man.
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

"When ever I feel like exercise, I lie down until the feeling passes"
Pobert Maynard Hutchens President of the University of Chicago.

LarryG
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

KyleAAA wrote:Why do you only do upper-body exercises in the gym? Your upper body will develop much more quickly if you throw in a heavy dose of lower- or at least total-body workouts because the large muscles in your legs and lower back will generate a lot more testosterone. Running, even up hills, is not an acceptable substitute for good old fashioned squats, dead lifts, and maybe even a clean and press routine.
Torn meniscus?
modal

Post by modal »

I try to run/jog a 5k everyday.

I haven't been doing it lately just because it's been 100F+.

Doctor told me I should do yoga or pilates, but I haven't yet.
dcd

Post by dcd »

It's running for me although I've come to like biking too. I'm 65 and have been running since my teens so I guess that's about 50 years. I still like road races and enjoy the competition so that keeps me motivated although I would still run if I quit racing. I've lifted weights off and on but don't really like it so I don't stick with it. Do the exercise that you like and you'll be successful.

I try to eat a healthy diet but can't seem to stay away from sweets. Eat pretty much what you like, just don't eat much of it.

My weight is about what it was as a college track athlete and my blood pressure, cholesterol, etc numbers are all good and i feel good so i guess my routine is working.
Denny
Guest422

Post by Guest422 »

I went on my own health quest in 2006 and documented my experience by creating a website [web plug removed by Mod]. I lost 34 lbs doing this.

enjoy
"The hardest victory is over self" | Aristotle
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

I approach exercise the same way I approach investing. SIMPLCITY is the key.

I use something called the Bodyblade 3 to 5 times a week. It takes less then 15 minutes for the entire routine and it is the equivalent of working out at the gym for an hour. The Bodyblade is the VG Target Retirement Fund of the exercise world. The only piece equipment you will ever need.

I have been using this for 10 years. Here is the link if you are interested:

www.bodyblade.com

I also walk throughout the day when I can. On the weekends I enjoy going to the park or the boardwalk near my house and try to get a couple of miles in.

Monday through Friday I try to be very good with what I eat and on the weekends I allow myself to indulge. I eat all foods, but everything in moderation.
Toni Doyle

Post by Toni Doyle »

If you look online at calorie calculator cycling, you'll find many different sites and they all come up with different totals. You would be surprised how many calories you eat each day and not realize it. If you are serious about losing the weight you will have to change your lifestyle. It's not easy but it will keep you healthy and a lot happier. I find that I burn approx. 125 calories for every 3 miles I ride (I ride at 19-20 mph avg.) but I only weigh 125 so it's a lot lower then what you would burn. You'll do better to watch what you eat then how much you work out, working out will make you hungrier so be careful.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

Last edited by CaliJim on Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xystici

Post by xystici »

KyleAAA wrote: Why do you only do upper-body exercises in the gym? Your upper body will develop much more quickly if you throw in a heavy dose of lower- or at least total-body workouts because the large muscles in your legs and lower back will generate a lot more testosterone. Running, even up hills, is not an acceptable substitute for good old fashioned squats, dead lifts, and maybe even a clean and press routine.
I did not mention my exercise routine was perfect... :D Actually, KyleAAA, I have heard several times your same exact comment and I think it is time for me to consider your suggestion seriously. I will give it a try.
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

Just another +1 for interval-type exercising. Whenever I'm not getting exercise that's fun (soccer, hiking, recreational biking), then I do something fast and hard. I've seen better results than when I used to spend a lot more time working out.

For "cardio":
-Set my watch's countdown timer for 90 seconds and do 6 to 8 repeats, of 90 seconds hard, 90 seconds easy.
-"Tabata" runs, up hill. 20 second sprint, 10 seconds walking. Repeat 8 times. 1 mile+ warmup, cooldown.
- Even more steady state runs or bikes, I'll usually mix in some quick sprints, or maybe make them "tempo" runs, with the middle 2 miles at 10k pace.

Weight lifting:
-I realized I was never going to the gym because it's always crowded at the times that are convenient for me, so I do everything at home.
-Mostly supersets of pushups and pullups. Different grips, explosive moves (like clapping pushups), adding a 20 pound backpack.

Things I'd change:
-I'd love to have access to some barbells and dumbbells, and would probably do more Crossfit type workouts.
-I should really be doing yoga, but, at 1 hour+, it's longer than anything else I do and feels less "necessary".

Ryan
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

xystici wrote:
KyleAAA wrote: Why do you only do upper-body exercises in the gym? Your upper body will develop much more quickly if you throw in a heavy dose of lower- or at least total-body workouts because the large muscles in your legs and lower back will generate a lot more testosterone. Running, even up hills, is not an acceptable substitute for good old fashioned squats, dead lifts, and maybe even a clean and press routine.
I did not mention my exercise routine was perfect... :D Actually, KyleAAA, I have heard several times your same exact comment and I think it is time for me to consider your suggestion seriously. I will give it a try.
I'm sympathetic. I don't workout my lower body very much because it gets hammered in cardio workouts. You might suggest adding some lower body lifting, while adding some upper body cardio (rowing machine, swimming) to even things out on both ends.

Ryan
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Toni Doyle:

I was stunned when I saw how many calories the calculator indicated that was being burned. If you are indicating that you are burning 125 per 3 miles at 125 lbs, then my 15 mile ride should be somewhere in the 1000 calorie range.

The overwhelming advise is eat less and better food.

What has worked in the past is entering into my daily journal what was eaten that day. It really forces me to consider consumption, knowing that the pencil will enter the actual intake.

Going to give all this some thought today...then come up with a written plan.

One more thing, does metabolism slow down at middle age (again, I am 55)? Is there something safe/natural which would counteract this?

Ed
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

MP173 wrote:
One more thing, does metabolism slow down at middle age (again, I am 55)? Is there something safe/natural which would counteract this?
Yes, and the best way to counter that is to build lean muscle.
yobria

Post by yobria »

neverknow wrote:Nor Colorado, the thinnest state by chance. We think it is fun to go outside and "fill in the blank". We don't call it exercise. We call it fun. But we probably are, a self selected lot. It is likely, why we are here.
neverknow
Funny the other day I ran into a woman, appeared to be fit and in her 40s, near the touristy part of my long Marin bike route. She was obviously a tourist, with cheap rented mountain bike and a map.

"Is this the way to the top of Mt Tam?" she asked.

I was surprised at her question, as it's a difficult route most locals with road bikes don't even attempt.

"Uh, yeah" I said, " but I doubt you're going to make it"

"I'm from Colorado", she replied, "So it shouldn't be a problem".

Nick
Tylenol Jones

Post by Tylenol Jones »

kevintmckay wrote:I went on my own health quest in 2006 and documented my experience by creating a website www.simplefit.org it is 100% free enjoy. I lost 34 lbs doing this.

enjoy
Very nice program!
AnimalCrackers

Post by AnimalCrackers »

yobria wrote:
neverknow wrote:Nor Colorado, the thinnest state by chance. We think it is fun to go outside and "fill in the blank". We don't call it exercise. We call it fun. But we probably are, a self selected lot. It is likely, why we are here.
neverknow
Funny the other day I ran into a woman, appeared to be fit and in her 40s, near the touristy part of my long Marin bike route. She was obviously a tourist, with cheap rented mountain bike and a map.

"Is this the way to the top of Mt Tam?" she asked.

I was surprised at her question, as it's a difficult route most locals with road bikes don't even attempt.

"Uh, yeah" I said, " but I doubt you're going to make it"

"I'm from Colorado", she replied, "So it shouldn't be a problem".

Nick
So do you know if she made it up mount Tam?

My bet is that an obviously self-confidant woman on vacation looking for a mountain to ride her bike up probably overcame your doubts about her chances . . . even if she had to use the little chain-ring.

On the other hand, my impression of the average active person is probably skewed by the sheer number of people who blow by me in the Thursday night swim-run series at Boulder Reservoir. :D
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson
neverknow

Post by neverknow »

statsguy

Post by statsguy »

MP... here is what works for me.

I am 56, 6'1", 219 pounds.

Three years ago I weighed 255 and had very bad arthritis pain (ankylosing spondylitus is the name of the disease). I had had three rotator cuff surgeries and three arthroscopic knee surgeries (both two rights and a left). My blood pressure was 140/90.

I am retiring in 2011 and was thinking about my retirement and so I decided to lose weight and get healthy.

I walk about 1.2 miles, twice a day (actually this is my commute to work). I mostly stroll usually reading some article related to my research. Basically I walk twenty-two minutes when I am strolling and 18 minutes when I push it to almost out of breath.

Every three days originally, now every two, I lift weights. I do not lift a lot of weight, the most is 30 pounds; the least is 8 pounds. I basically use this weight program.

Every night I do about twenty minutes of yoga for my arthritis and to improve my flexibility.

All that made me feel better... still after doing the above regimen for about two years I still weighed 240. About two years ago, I cut the amount of red meat in my diet to maybe once a week and replaced it with fish (my favorite is grilled Ahi tuna). Since doing that I have lowered my weight about a pound a month without much effort other than to skip eating red meat. I don't know if it matters or not but I rarely eat after six in the afternoon. I usually have two glasses of wine or maybe some cognac around eight in the evening.

I ate oatmeal for breakfast for years but recently switched to eggs with vegetables (onions, asparagini, starburst squash, spinach, etc). I had to cut starch out of my diet because of my arthritis (the pain is reduced).

Anyway, my blood pressure is now 110/70, my weight about 219, and my doctor says my cholesterol and triglyceride levels are good. I plan to be around 210 by the time I retire in June.

Stats
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

yobria wrote:
Gekko wrote:it's 90% diet. monitor and reduce your daily calorie intake.

good luck.
For me, it's 90% exercise. I eat whatever I want, but I bike approx 160 miles per week (40, 40, then 80 on the weekend), and punctute that with long hikes (18 mile Yosemite Half Dome hike last Saturday), and a rowing machine for the upper body.

When it comes to both eating and exercise, I do only what I really enjoy. It helps to live in a part of the country where restaurants serve real food (not doused in cheese and grease), and where you can exercise outdoors year round. San Fran isn't the thinnest city in America by chance.

Nick
oh i don't doubt that you "eat whatever you want" but if you are in decent shape i doubt that you over-eat and eat like a pig. i bet "what you want" is not 5,000+ calories a day. if you ate 5,000+ calories a day you would surely get fat - and i don't care what you eat or how much you say you exercise - unless of course if maybe you are a 24/7/365 professional athlete like a Michael Phelps.

you probably stop eating when you are full - many people do not. diet is the biggest factor of your weight level - whether or not you are intentional about it or not.

and again, when it comes to weight it's mostly about calories and not the nutrition of the food that puts on the weight.

2,000 calories/day of strictly McDonald's burgers and fries will make you less fat than 5,000+ calories/day of baked fish, vegetables, whole grains, fruits, and nuts will. "healthy" is another story. of course the correct choice is the balance of both moderate calories and good nutrition.

IMO most adult males should eat about 2,000-2,500 calories/day. stick to that and you won't get fat.

eat 2-3 solid meals a day and watch the snacks - especially the "healthy" ones - and watch what you drink too. nuts and fruits and juices may be good for you in moderation but they are very caloric. there is no free lunch.