What's your extravagance?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
J.Fred.Muggs

What's your extravagance?

Post by J.Fred.Muggs »

What's your extravagance? What are the thing(s) you buy which you can't honestly rationalize?

I have two: (1) Whole Foods Market and (2) expensive beer.

I drop $150-$200/week at Whole Foods to feed a family of two. And that's being careful. I could easily drop more.

I also pay too much for beer. Beer Advocate ruined me for cheap beer. I now splurge on Belgian style beers and they ain't cheap.

How about you?
hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber »

Life is too short to drink cheap beer....

I can definitely rationalize drinking good beer and buying quality food. What else do you need money for?
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Computer equipment and books.

I have no problems with drinking only cheap beer... as long as it's ice-cold.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Private college expenses for daughter. More than 60% of our taxable income goes to that.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Cars, golf, and good quality alcohol. I'd get laughed out of here if I gave a dollar figure.
gasman

Post by gasman »

livesoft wrote:Private college expenses for daughter. More than 60% of our taxable income goes to that.
+1. boarding school for the high school kid. private day school for the younger. International trips for both.
winelvr

Post by winelvr »

wine
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

Beer is probably the closest thing, though I usually stick with $1-ish decent beers for daily drinkers. I occasionally buy the 5-10$ tallboys from Whole Foods if it's something I'm intrigued by. Farmers Market produce is probably another one.

I stay away from material extravagance by having a small apartment. When I move in to a place with a garage, I think my opportunities have more fancy stuff will increase exponentially.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I have two: (1) Whole Foods Market and (2) expensive beer.
Exactly the same as me!
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

Staying in hotels/motels while on a bike tour instead of camping every chance I get!
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
ClaireTN

Post by ClaireTN »

We live in a very hot, humid part of the country and have jobs that allow us to work from home during the summers, so every summer we rent a casita in northern New Mexico where it's cool and dry. A few more years of this and I'll have to change my userID to ClaireNM. :)
DblDoc

Post by DblDoc »

My Ducati :twisted:

DD
inspired investor

Post by inspired investor »

Believe it or not, playing bingo! It started out that I used to take grandma, but now she is not able it go. But now I'm hooked. I love it. No vices like smoking, alcohol, etc, so I figure why not. And last week I did win $875!!!! :D
yobria

Re: What's your extravagance?

Post by yobria »

J.Fred.Muggs wrote:What's your extravagance? What are the thing(s) you buy which you can't honestly rationalize?
I just reviewed my expenses over the last few months to make sure I was answering your question accurately.

The answer is really nothing. If it doesn't provide utility in excess of its cost, I don't indulge. I buy expensive tea, for example, because it really is that much better than cheap tea.

Nick
Taylor Larimore

Time . .

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Hi Bogleheads:

At age 86, time is my most precious commodity.

My time spent trying to help others on the forum is my biggest extravagance--and also my great pleasure.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Ed 2

Re: Time . .

Post by Ed 2 »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Hi Bogleheads:

My time spent trying to help others on the forum is my biggest extravagance--and also my great pleasure.
Hello Taylor, you are same age as my father. My TOTAL respect to you.

Thank You for it,Taylor !!! :sharebeer
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

Dropped $775 on an Orvis Helios fly rod and $430 for a pair of Simms waders yesterday. Could have fished with a willow switch for nothing.

Drove a hundred miles east to do business with a fly shop I once guided for.

Went fishing today and caught one 12" brown trout in two hours. First time my right foot has been dry in four years. Rain the last two days had the river way off color.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
etherscreen78

Post by etherscreen78 »

wine - like a poster above, i'd probably be banned from this forum :)

food - both great quality ingredients for cooking at home as well as the occasional fine dining experience when we actually make it out.
david99

Post by david99 »

I like to spend money on travel. It can be expensive to travel to a foreign country for a week or two but to me it's money well spent.
masteraleph

Post by masteraleph »

Living in Manhattan. High rent costs (though subway costs instead of auto ones, at leasts), high costs on everything else.

For reference, J.Fred.Muggs- I don't count WF as an extravagance, because a lot of stuff there is cheaper than anywhere else around here (butter, milk, etc).
bmelikia

Post by bmelikia »

I only really spend money when it comes to opportunities that allow me to spend more time with my friends (a night at the local pub, small trips, weekend hang outs). . .but to me that is not "spent" money, and since I value my friendships so much then maybe it doesn't even qualify as an extravagance. . .quite frankly it is the best investment I've ever made. . .
"I would rather die with money, than live without it...." - Bogleheads member Ron | | A time to EVALUATE your jitters https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
exigent

Post by exigent »

I can rationalize just about anything. :-)

I'd have to say that my biggest extravagances are my iPhone and travel. Not necessarily in that order.
leod

Post by leod »

travel, domestic and international. more of a need when i think of it since all our friends and relatives are living overseas. :(
traineeinvestor

Post by traineeinvestor »

Not in order of priority:

Wine
Travel
Children's education
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

The dollar menu at McDonalds. LOL.

Seriously though, I feel I have everything I want and get what I want when I get it. I guess that is because I don't have expensive tastes. I love wine, but I get many good wines for $11 and some cheaper. I love to read books on personal finance and spend anywhere from $6 to $30 dollars if it is a book I want to read.

As long as I carry no debt, and invest for my future, I never watch what I spend.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to take more then one vacation a year, but until my house is paid off I'll put that off.
Last edited by stemikger on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearwolf

Post by bearwolf »

Apple computer equipment. I just acquired the new iMac 27" quad core computer. Did I need it? No. Did I want it? Yes!

BearWolf
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Sterling silver baby gifts for new grandchildren. The most recent is a sterling silver hair brush engraved with her initials. The others have received the proverbial silver spoon (with fork and knife), a silver pusher from Georg Jensen, and a silver napkin ring also from Georg Jensen.

I still have my silver porringer from when I was a baby (late 40s). I found an identical one online:
http://www.cyberattic.com/stores/thurbe ... attic.html
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

Local, organic fruits & veggies, delivered to my door.

http://az.naturesgardendelivered.com/index.php
Donnie Baseball Fan

Post by Donnie Baseball Fan »

Taylor,
Just wanted you to know that it is very much appreciated. As another Boglehead stated, my total respect to you.
TJAJ9

Post by TJAJ9 »

Taylor, as Harry Kalas used to say, you are the man! :beer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhDU_6w8RC8
magicmom

Post by magicmom »

Once again a thread that shows how outclassed I am in here.
My extravagance at this time is funding my Roth to the max.

Thanks to Taylor for all you do.
Smooth sailing.
filmtheory

Post by filmtheory »

Often buy new books on Amazon rather than library or used, which is what I "should" do....
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Fine ales.

In a world where it seems to be more + more everyman for himself,its good to have folks like Taylor and others on this forum still willing to give their time and wisdom in helping others. Thanks

I will toast you all at about noontime with one of those fine ales. Cheers
Esther

Post by Esther »

Taylor wrote:

"My time spent trying to help others on the forum is my biggest extravagance--and also my great pleasure."

Your help to me and many others on this forum is unsurpassed.

Esther
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

You truly are a selfless individual - Thank you for your time, patience and graciousness. Rare qualities, indeed.

As others have said, my hats off to you. :sharebeer
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

My extravagances: I spend $1 three times a week on lottery tickets. At current rates that nets me 5 less shares of VTSMX. I'm leaving money on the table by undertaking this. - not very Boglehead like.

I used to buy wine ($30 and up), but have no one to drink it with. :(
gouldnm

Post by gouldnm »

My extravagances are:

I like to stay in nice hotels, although Red Roof Inn has everything I need

going out to eat

symphony tickets (with good seats)

books

I would consider the home theater and movie collection an extravagance, but considering that we live in a remote area where we'd have to drive at least an hour and a half to see an art film, I don't conisder that a complete extravagance. By the time you figure in the cost of gasoline, wear and tear on the car, and eating out for the day, I think our hobby pays for itself.

DISCLAIMER:
I would probably not spend nearly as much money on these things if I lived alone. But since I'm married, and my husband and I enjoy doing things together (going out to eat, staying at nice hotels, and going to symphony concerts together), that's what we do

To be fair, we tend to get a lot of free nights at the Marriott because of various rewards programs we are in.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Trips to Las Vegas! Leaving just before labor day with my wife for 7 days of gambling, drinking , eating and long afternoons at the topless pool (no kids allowed).

Really going all out this time - got a Tower Suite at the Encore reserved.

Woo hoo! :lol:
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

Being retired before I planned.

Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely.

I'm with Taylor on this one. Time is precious. I enjoy living it on my own terms.

- Ron
partisan

Post by partisan »

Skiing
Golf
Travel
leo383

Post by leo383 »

Electric bass guitars.

I have 9 currently, and could easily get by with 2 (a fretted and a fretless).

They have ranged in price from $450-1000 each.
ddb

Re: What's your extravagance?

Post by ddb »

J.Fred.Muggs wrote:What's your extravagance? What are the thing(s) you buy which you can't honestly rationalize?
Well, I can rationalize them all!

My extravagances are good bourbon ($120-ish for a good bottle), good cigars ($8-ish per cigar), and the occasional expensive dinner ($150 per person for me and whoever I dine with). Total annual cost on my consumption of these is approximately $1,000, so nothing TOO extravagant.

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB
greetje

Post by greetje »

We had a small business for 34 years. Never had a day off. I used to say "I must have been awful bad to be grounded for 34 years.)
Now we're retired and I don't care what the gasoline cost, "I.m outa here"
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

Greetings:

Several years ago, the Munchkin Man ordered a small bowl of Shark Fin Soup at a Chinese restaurant located inside the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas.

It was only a small bowl.

The price?

$49

Was it good?

Yes.

Was it THAT good?

No.

The next night the Munchkin Man ate at a Chinese restaurant located in the "Chinatown" section of Las Vegas.

The price of a small bowl of Shark Fin Soup there was cheaper.

It was $29.

The Munchkin Man ordered the Hot and Sour Soup instead.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Balance

Post by Balance »

For my fiance and I our only real consistent extravagance is shopping for organic food at Whole Foods and Farmers markets for organically grown local food. You just can't compromise on your own health. Anything that involves our health, we just dont skimp on.
ddb

Post by ddb »

Balance wrote:For my fiance and I our only real consistent extravagance is shopping for organic food at Whole Foods and Farmers markets for organically grown local food. You just can't compromise on your own health. Anything that involves our health, we just dont skimp on.
What health benefits do you expect to see eating "organically grown local food" as opposed to "organic food", or even just "food"? I occasionally spend a little extra on organic produce, too, but for me it's more of a feel-good thing than a health benefit thing.

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB
monkey_business

Post by monkey_business »

ddb wrote:
Balance wrote:For my fiance and I our only real consistent extravagance is shopping for organic food at Whole Foods and Farmers markets for organically grown local food. You just can't compromise on your own health. Anything that involves our health, we just dont skimp on.
What health benefits do you expect to see eating "organically grown local food" as opposed to "organic food", or even just "food"? I occasionally spend a little extra on organic produce, too, but for me it's more of a feel-good thing than a health benefit thing.

- DDB
To me, the benefit of buying organic produce is the minimization of chemicals in your food. While I know an organic strawberry is not necessarily more nutritious than a regular one, it probably has fewer traces of pesticides and other chemicals used in its growth. I don't religiously buy organic, but if the cost of organic vs regular is relatively comparable, I always choose organic.
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Renting a vacation home that's big enough to hold all my children, their spouses and the grandchildren. 1 week in the summer at a MN lake. 1 week in the winter someplace warm. So much fun.

Best wishes
lily
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Taylor Larimore wrote:

How fortunate for the Bogleheads that your "biggest extravagance" is also your "great pleasure"!

My biggest extravagance in life was wasting time on stuff not worth wasting time on. It takes time to realize this, of course, and time probably isn't really appreciated until retirement - when we FINALLY HAVE IT.

"Best wishes" to you, Taylor.
Balance

Post by Balance »

ddb wrote:

- DDB
The reason why I like the local grown organic from local farmers is because I talk with them at the farmers markets and get a rundown on how they farm. I have even went on tours of some of these local farms. When they have a passion for good food and don't use any pesticides or anti-biotics it really helps when I am deciding what food to purchase because I can see first hand that they stand by what they claim.