Free Amazon Prime for students

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DonnaB

Free Amazon Prime for students

Post by DonnaB » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:03 am

Free shipping for students! Amazon sells and delivers such a huge variety of items.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

Donna

Imperabo

Post by Imperabo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:44 am

Thanks for the heads up. I'd be getting about $70 back if my university hadn't discontinued our .edu email addresses earlier this month. It's the only method Amazon has of confirming student status.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:44 am

It's only free for a year. They hope to get you hooked and that you'll be too lazy to cancel at the end. Be sure you've figured out exactly how to cancel it before you commit--although I trust Amazon to the point where I wouldn't really expect a problem.

I have firmly resisted Amazon Prime. I always select free Super Saver shipping. It probably depends on where you live, and it may not be true at all times, or for all kinds of items, but I am consistently surprised how fast Super Saver is--at least for a) mainstream b) books. It's odd to accuse a company of lying by underpromising, but I'm convinced that the "5-9 days" is mostly there to discourage you from using Super Saver.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Imperabo

Post by Imperabo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:59 am

nisiprius wrote: I have firmly resisted Amazon Prime. I always select free Super Saver shipping. It probably depends on where you live, and it may not be true at all times, or for all kinds of items, but I am consistently surprised how fast Super Saver is--at least for a) mainstream b) books. It's odd to accuse a company of lying by underpromising, but I'm convinced that the "5-9 days" is mostly there to discourage you from using Super Saver.

I used to do that, since I live about 30 miles from a major distribution center, where most of my items are shipped from. Many times I would get the order within 2 days, but about every third time it would take more than a week. The unpredictability of it was very frustrating, and some times I wished I had just bought the item it town. I think the way it works is they save up batches of orders until they have a truck full going to the same region and then send them out at once. Once they ship they get here fast, but sometimes they would take a week just to leave the warehouse.

For me, the Prime is worth it. I can deal with a 2 day wait for just about anything, and save a lot of time and money over shopping locally.

crefwatch

Free is also fast

Post by crefwatch » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:13 am

nisiprius wrote:I am consistently surprised how fast Super Saver is ... convinced that the "5-9 days" is mostly there to discourage you from using Super Saver.
I've had the same experience, although at peak gift periods of the year, it has taken longer. But I can't complain when it's for free and the time period is disclosed as it is.

Startled Cat

Post by Startled Cat » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:16 am

It's very easy to cancel Amazon Prime, and Amazon makes it very clear how to do so. I was just given a one-month free trial recently. Wish I had used it more. I'm too used to batching up orders.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:24 am

I'm with with nisiprius. Super saver shipping has never taken the full 5-9 days they advertise. I normally get the item within 2 or 3 business days. 4 max.

If I really wanted the item that quickly, I would probably just drive to a store and buy it there rather than ordering it online.
Last edited by KyleAAA on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:29 am

aaronl wrote:It's very easy to cancel Amazon Prime, and Amazon makes it very clear how to do so. I was just given a one-month free trial recently.
Good for them. Confirms my good opinion of Amazon.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

kayman

Post by kayman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:01 am

Sweet! I just signed up. I love the 2-day shipping and overnight for $4, I think, when I'm in a pinch. It looks like you can even share the account with several other family members, too.

I had a trial once and it was easy to cancel. I even let it go past and it auto-renewed, and when I contacted them ( a week or so after ) they happily canceled it and refunded me.

Thanks for the heads-up!

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:55 am

Not only is Prime easy to cancel. You can pre-cancel it a second after you sign up for the trial so that it goes for the full period of the trial but does NOT renew. It is the most consumer-friendly system you can ask for. Prime is awesome.

dorokhin

Post by dorokhin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:52 pm

Students can also give a free one year prime subscription to their family.