Best Smart Phone App

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Allan

Best Smart Phone App

Post by Allan » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:03 am

I get my iPhone tomorrow, and my wife just told me about an application where you can make deposits at the bank (I use Chase) without going to the bank. I hate going to the bank, and make enough trips per month for it to be annoying.

You just take a picture of the check, front and back, and send it to them. It is a free service. To me, this is how technology really adds to our society, I save time, the bank saves time, and I save gas and therefore it is a Green App :)

Deposit checks with 2 camera clicks:

https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?pg_ ... ne-banking

ryuns

Re: Best Smart Phone App

Post by ryuns » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:58 pm

Allan wrote:I get my iPhone tomorrow, and my wife just told me about an application where you can make deposits at the bank (I use Chase) without going to the bank. I hate going to the bank, and make enough trips per month for it to be annoying.

You just take a picture of the check, front and back, and send it to them. It is a free service. To me, this is how technology really adds to our society, I save time, the bank saves time, and I save gas and therefore it is a Green App :)

That's actually pretty awesome. I use Schwab, which reimburses all ATM fees but I have to mail in the rare check that I receive. This usually involves me stealing a stamp from work, because I seem to lose stamps almost immediately after I buy them. Maybe Schwab will put together an app like that.

I won't be buying an iphone any time soon, but I will probably buy a new ipod touch when then next generation rolls out. The app works on that and the ipad as well.

Ryan
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:23 pm

Allan wrote:I get my iPhone tomorrow, and my wife just told me about an application where you can make deposits at the bank (I use Chase) without going to the bank. I hate going to the bank, and make enough trips per month for it to be annoying.

I can do the same at usaa. I would like to have a small business account that allows remote deposit (without the outrageous fees).

BearWolf

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:24 pm

Wow,,,Im a tech guy and that app is awesome! Whats next :D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:36 pm

Allan wrote:Deposit checks with 2 camera clicks:
This sounds like a fraud magnet. Not that people will get away with depositing the same check multiple times, or photoshopping myriad checks left and right; but that the not-so-bright will get themselves into trouble by the droves.

Reminds me of the early days of color photocopiers. -- Tet
RESISTANCE IS FRUITFUL

Paladin

Post by Paladin » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:49 pm

ryuns wrote:

That's actually pretty awesome. I use Schwab, which reimburses all ATM fees but I have to mail in the rare check that I receive. This usually involves me stealing a stamp from work, because I seem to lose stamps almost immediately after I buy them. Maybe Schwab will put together an app like that.

I won't be buying an iphone any time soon, but I will probably buy a new ipod touch when then next generation rolls out. The app works on that and the ipad as well.

Ryan
Not unless there is a camera attached to the iPod.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:20 pm

Paladin wrote:Not unless there is a camera attached to the iPod.
iPod Touch's have cameras and are web enabled. -- Tet
RESISTANCE IS FRUITFUL

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:46 pm

tetractys wrote:
Paladin wrote:Not unless there is a camera attached to the iPod.
iPod Touch's have cameras and are web enabled. -- Tet
The OP mentioned an iPhone, not an iPod or iPad.
ryuns mentioned both the iPod touch and the iPad
Now as far as I know, the iPad doesn't have a camera (but does have a camera connection kit, sold separately), nor does the iPod Touch.

The Chase Mobile App is available for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch, but I think the ability to deposit checks using your camera only works when a camera is available, i.e., on the iPhone.
Get Chase Mobile for iPhone®, iPad and iPod® touch

It's easy – and free* – to download and use Chase Mobile on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

Chase Mobile lets you bank from anywhere you can access the Web. Pay bills and credit cards, transfer money between Chase accounts, see account balances and transaction history, and send wire transfers. Plus, find nearby Chase branches, ATMs and our contact information.
https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?pg_ ... FindOutHow

Note that there is no mention of depositing checks using the Chase Mobile app except on the page that is specific to the iPhone.

Paladin

Post by Paladin » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:11 pm

sscritic wrote: Now as far as I know, the iPad doesn't have a camera (but does have a camera connection kit, sold separately), nor does the iPod Touch.

The Chase Mobile App is available for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch, but I think the ability to deposit checks using your camera only works when a camera is available, i.e., on the iPhone.
My point exactly.

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:22 pm

Paladin wrote:
sscritic wrote: Now as far as I know, the iPad doesn't have a camera (but does have a camera connection kit, sold separately), nor does the iPod Touch.

My point exactly.
In my defense, the next gen ipod touch is expected to have a camera.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

kramer

Post by kramer » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:37 pm

Thanks for the link. I don't have a Chase bank account but I do have a credit card through them. I can log in and see my balances and pay the card on my Ipod Touch using this application. Very convenient and very secure. This will help me when I am traveling.

Kramer

Paladin

Post by Paladin » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:44 pm

ryuns wrote:
Paladin wrote:

My point exactly.
I hope so :D

A camera and a GPS and I will buy one immediately. I don't need the phone part of an iPhone.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:31 am

Paladin wrote:

My point exactly.
Except that you wrote pod when I think you meant pad.
That slip just made the back and forth a little confusing, since you can attach a camera to the iPad, but not the iPod Touch.

Paladin

Post by Paladin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:10 am

sscritic wrote:
Paladin wrote:

My point exactly.
Except that you wrote pod when I think you meant pad.
That slip just made the back and forth a little confusing, since you can attach a camera to the iPad, but not the iPod Touch.
No I meant iPod. Apple used to make an iPod camera connector but discontinued it. The issue was supporting the many digital cameras which is why the iPod Touch really needs a built in camera to work with apps.

Mr Bear

Post by Mr Bear » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:39 am

Can I take a picture of your check and deposit it in MY account? Please?

jjg247

Post by jjg247 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:47 am

My main checking account is with PNC bank, so I hope they are not far behind in this technology. What a fantastic idea!

For those who have used remote deposit previously, what do you do with the actual check? Shred it, file it or something else?

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:07 am

jjg247 wrote:My main checking account is with PNC bank, so I hope they are not far behind in this technology. What a fantastic idea!

For those who have used remote deposit previously, what do you do with the actual check? Shred it, file it or something else?
I'm paranoid, I scan a copy and hold on to the physical check for a month or two. I shred them after that but keep the scanned image in my permanent record.

BearWolf

simmons.alice

Post by simmons.alice » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:07 am

Yep, thats cool thing to do, besides its green app!

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:41 pm

Paladin wrote:
ryuns wrote:
Paladin wrote:

My point exactly.
I hope so :D

A camera and a GPS and I will buy one immediately. I don't need the phone part of an iPhone.
Yeah, and 64 gb of memory for under $300. Yes, that would be ideal. :)

Eric

Chase's Android app?

Post by Eric » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:05 pm

Chase has an app for Android phones, too. However, I can't tell whether it supports this feature or if that's exclusive to the iPhone app. Does anyone know?

Alistair

Post by Alistair » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:34 am

Allan wrote:...To me, this is how technology really adds to our society, I save time, the bank saves time, and I save gas and therefore it is a Green App :)

Deposit checks with 2 camera clicks...
In the technological version of this, your payer didn't write a check in the first place...