VA a good place to work for a PA-C ???

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rocket

VA a good place to work for a PA-C ???

Post by rocket » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:35 am

My daughter just graduated from Physician Assistant (PA-C) school. She is considering working for the US Veterans Administration in Raleigh-Durham, NC.
Is the VA a good place to work for a PA-C ???
Is Raleigh-Durham a good place to live ???
She & I live in Alabama now. She is 26 years old and single. We feel it is better for her to move to a where there is a more prosperous economy and more progressive environment. Tell me about it.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:08 pm

What does she think/want?

The VA is fine and I hear nice things about Raleigh-Durham.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

rocket

Post by rocket » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:32 am

EmergDoc wrote:What does she think/want?
The VA is fine and I hear nice things about Raleigh-Durham.
What does she think/want?
prefers Gastro/Intestine
She Likes NC. It is a short drive to the Appalachian Mountains and Atlantic Coast, mild winters.

fishndoc

Post by fishndoc » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:48 am

Great place to live - nice combination of great universities and all they bring to the table, as well as a dynamic economy, good climate, and both mountains and beaches a short drive away.

Working at the VA is a little more tricky - the workplace culture varies a lot between VAs, and despite the uniformity of rules and procedures, each seems to be a very different place - she is probably gonna just have to give it a try to find out if it's a good fit for her.

One factor has been true at all the VAs I have been at: people who fight the system (maybe are too idealistic) have a tough time, and either have to adapt to the VA or move on.

We used to have a sign above the door to our VA resident's office "Resistance is Futile".
" Successful investing involves doing just a few things right, and avoiding serious mistakes." - J. Bogle

wshang

Post by wshang » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:49 pm

fishndoc wrote:people who fight the system (maybe are too idealistic) have a tough time, and either have to adapt to the VA or move on.

We used to have a sign above the door to our VA resident's office "Resistance is Futile".
Thanks for making me laugh (in remembering my days working at the VA)!

Yes, that is very important. You touch on a very important point of how independent/entrepreneur minded someone might be. I think the OP's daughter should consider about that aspect well.

That said, I will make a sad/sarcastic comment. In Europe many people's idea of the ideal job is working for the government. This seems to be increasingly the sentiment in this country. Please don't let this comment hijack the thread.
“. . . extraordinary wealth can be made by knowing the future" - Harry Dent