Best Smoker

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gatorman

Best Smoker

Post by gatorman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:01 am

I am thinking about buying a smoker to compliment my grill and would appreciate your thoughts. Gas or electric? Capacity? Any particular brand/model you think is superior? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
gatorman

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:28 am

I applaud you for taking the step to true BBQ nirvana. IMHO the only way to go low and slow is with charcoal and hardwood. Gas and electric, while convenient, don't really add much smoky flavor.

I use a Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker (aka the Weber Bullet) and highly recommend it. It has legions of fans

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Hexdump

This is what I have, sorta.

Post by Hexdump » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:48 am

I can't find the exact model as mine is bigger.
http://www.brinkmann.net/products/detai ... 810-5000-0
But it's similar to the above.
I have the gas model as I think that electricity is the work of the devil.

However, if I were shopping for another I am tempted to try one of these and use some pecan logs.
http://www.brinkmann.net/products/detai ... 810-5503-S

Smoked turkey, according to all who have tried it, ranks as the best way to cook turkey.

Best = Smoked
Next = Fried
Last = oven.

hex

anthau

Post by anthau » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:50 am

+1 for the Weber Bullet, and for the virtual bullet site. [Edit: It's surprisingly easy to control the temperature with the bottom vents.] Only thing I can add is that Peace, Love & Barbecue is a fun book too.

Although I have the 22", I think that the 18" would have been plenty big enough.

Happy smoking!
Last edited by anthau on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best, | | Anth

Adam23

Post by Adam23 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:51 am

I spent months and months reviewing smokers before making my purchase. I ultimately ended up on a Bradley electric smoker 4 rack capacity and have been very happy with my purchase. It gives the food great smoked taste, is simple to use and pretty much makes smoking mindless. Have made ribs, chicken, turkey, etc. Brisket this weekend. Very happy with my purchase.

surveyor

Post by surveyor » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:47 am

I'm a huge fan of the WSM and VWBB site. For the price, the WSM is the best charcoal smoker out there IMO.

That said, if I was purchasing an electric smoker it would be the Bradley. It came recommended in a Charcuterie book I read a few years ago. Cold smoking, which is virtually impossible with a charcoal smoker, really interests me. Probably because I can't do it with the WSM.

No matter which way you go, good bbq is on the way.

Hexdump

A Question for Adam23

Post by Hexdump » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:01 am

Adam23 wrote:I spent months and months reviewing smokers before making my purchase. I ultimately ended up on a Bradley electric smoker 4 rack capacity and have been very happy with my purchase. It gives the food great smoked taste, is simple to use and pretty much makes smoking mindless. Have made ribs, chicken, turkey, etc. Brisket this weekend. Very happy with my purchase.
The Bradley is interesting to me and I was looking at the recipes for smoked turkey.
===================
Smoked Thanksgiving Turkey
Ingredients
• 4 to 5 kg (8 to 10 lb) turkey (small turkeys work best)
==================
The turkey size concerns me somewhat because we usually cook around an 18 lbs turkey.

Is there a larger model or have you done a large turkey ?

thanks,
hex

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:01 am

I don't know if what I'm asking is considered blasphemy in the BBQ community, but could that smoker be turned into a conventional grill? I'm looking into getting a new grill for the summer and it'd be nice to use the WSM in different ways.

dekecarver

Post by dekecarver » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:15 am

The Big Green Egg.

yellowjacket

Smoker

Post by yellowjacket » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:34 am

The Big Green Egg. By far the best smoker. Expensive, maybe, but after more than 13 years, I can tell you the Egg does a fantastic job, with very little attention. It does use only natural charcoal. It does get many hours of cooking with one charge. I often set it up and light it at lunch to come home to a prepared dinner. No attention between time. The best of cooking and flavor controls.
YellowJacket

fishndoc

Post by fishndoc » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:47 am

Your treading on a discussion here that can get more opinionated than religion! :wink:

I agree the Big Green Egg is the standard, but a good and less expensive alternative in a komodo-type grill is the Big Steel Keg, which will stand, side tables and accessories runs about $600.
An even better deal, if you can find it, is the predecessor to the BSK, the "BubbaKeg" which Home Depot is closing out at $299.

The advantage of the komodo is not only do they do the best job as a smoker, but you can also sear steaks & chops, and cook about anything you can think of on them: my menus over the last couple of weeks has included, beside the usual steaks, hot dogs and hamburgers, meatloaf, chili, buffalo wings, baked beans, cedar plank salmon and shrimp, bbq shrimp, marinated pork chops, new potatos, muchrooms, grilled squash and okra, asparagus, homemade pizzas... you get the idea.

The food not only tastes better, but the kitchen in not heated up and not nearly as much cleanup.
" Successful investing involves doing just a few things right, and avoiding serious mistakes." - J. Bogle

blink32

Post by blink32 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:53 am

simplesimon wrote:I don't know if what I'm asking is considered blasphemy in the BBQ community, but could that smoker be turned into a conventional grill?
You could always get an offset firebox based smoker.

I have one (maybe this exact one) like this: http://www.brinkmann.net/products/outdo ... 805-2101-W

I know I didn't pay anywhere near that though. 5 years later, no issues what so ever. I did do some custom modifications to mine for the firebasket, heat deflectors, smoke stack and fire bricks. I can smoke 4 butts and some sausages and grill at the same time on the firebox. Or days when I don't need to smoke just put your coals in the firebox and cook there. Then there is always the option to move the coals to the smoking chamber and grill a lot of food.

Adam23

Re: A Question for Adam23

Post by Adam23 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:07 pm

[quote="Hexdump"]

Is there a larger model or have you done a large turkey ?

thanks,
hex[/quote]

There is a bigger model than the one I have. I did some turkey breasts actually, not a whole bird. Turned out extremely well.

Swamproot

Post by Swamproot » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:28 pm

I was seriously thinking about building one as described by Alton Brown on a Good Eats that I had seen recently, using a hot plate, an iron skillet, and some big terra cotta pots. It's kind of like a poor man's Green Egg. (Or a miserly man's).

http://www.naffziger.net/blog/2008/07/0 ... ot-smoker/

The bowl he uses is apparently a little hard to come by but some others have used the terra cotta drain pan for the pot as the lid.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Flower- ... roved-Lid/

Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:40 pm

You can also get smoke flavoring at most grocery stores

norookie

Post by norookie » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:40 pm

blink32 wrote:
simplesimon wrote:I don't know if what I'm asking is considered blasphemy in the BBQ community, but could that smoker be turned into a conventional grill?
You could always get an offset firebox based smoker.

I have one (maybe this exact one) like this: http://www.brinkmann.net/products/outdo ... 805-2101-W

I know some friends that made one out of a old HD Oil Barrel, a few cuts for air vents that looked just like the Brinkman link here. Its both a grill and a smoker. They cut it top to bottom and hinged it. 30 yrs later its still working ! :D -just sayin-
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:00 pm

Well, at this point it is a statistical dead heat:
Weber-3 votes
Brinkmann-2 votes
Bradley-2 votes
Green Egg-3 votes
Home made-2 votes

Thanks to all who commented, at the very least you have helped to narrow down the field.

gatorman

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:19 pm

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:31 pm

I was gonna vote for Cheech or Chong, but I concede to Bogie.
Mike

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Alex Frakt wrote:Image
I thought I was going to get to be clever!

My vote is Oppenheimer.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

schmoglehead

Old Smokey Smoker

Post by schmoglehead » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:55 pm

I used the Brinkman smoker for years with good results. The Old Smokey Electric Smoker is superior. It takes less wood and care and gives outstanding results. I smoke more now since this unit makes smoking so easy.

http://www.oldsmokey.com/Products/oldsmokeyelectra.html

anthau

Post by anthau » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:24 pm

simplesimon wrote:I don't know if what I'm asking is considered blasphemy in the BBQ community, but could that smoker be turned into a conventional grill? I'm looking into getting a new grill for the summer and it'd be nice to use the WSM in different ways.
The VWB site points out that older versions of the operating manual had instructions as to how to do it, and gives those instructions. I find that leaving the bottom cooking grate in place, placing the charcoal ring on top of it, and the charcoal grate on top of it gets the coals even closer, for a nice sear. I've been happily grilling on mine for the past few weeks, having discovered this.
Best, | | Anth

Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:49 pm

Alex Frakt wrote:Image
Didn't he die of lung cancer?
gatorman

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:46 pm

gatorman wrote:Didn't he die of lung cancer?
gatorman
Esophageal cancer. So it was probably a combination of his heavy smoking and drinking that got him.

Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:36 pm

Alex Frakt wrote:
gatorman
Esophageal cancer. So it was probably a combination of his heavy smoking and drinking that got him.
Chesterfields and Scotch, a deadly combination:

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/i ... bogart.htm

swaption

Post by swaption » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:20 am

Alright, now here is a topic where I am happy to contribute. I am going to add another strong contender to the mix. I have owned a Cookshack electric smoker for about 6 years. I previously owned a WSM. Big recommendation for the Cookshack. It is on the pricy side, but really works well. I found the WSM worked very well, but not really practical for me for longer overnight cooks like brisket or pork butt. I use a meat thermometer and can cook something for 18 hours without even so much as opening the smoker. Plenty of information on the web site and also a very active forum. Very strong Cookshack advocates over there and lots of advice, etc.

http://www.cookshack.com/residential-barbecue-smokers

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:00 am

Whatever hardware you end up getting you're going to need some software to get the best out of it. There's a ton of info out online, but I recommend taking a look at Smoke and Spice by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison. If you're a fan of all kinds of outdoor cooking, you might take a look at Steven Raichlen's books on BBQ and grilling. He also has a TV show on PBS.

http://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Spice-Cooki ... t_ep_dpi_1

http://www.barbecuebible.com/
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:37 am

gatorman wrote:
Alex Frakt wrote:
gatorman

That's one of the best short biographies I've ever read. The only part that rang false was the one paragraph where they tried to dip into psychology.

Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:46 am

swaption wrote:Alright, now here is a topic where I am happy to contribute. I am going to add another strong contender to the mix. I have owned a Cookshack electric smoker for about 6 years. I previously owned a WSM. Big recommendation for the Cookshack. It is on the pricy side, but really works well. I found the WSM worked very well, but not really practical for me for longer overnight cooks like brisket or pork butt. I use a meat thermometer and can cook something for 18 hours without even so much as opening the smoker. Plenty of information on the web site and also a very active forum. Very strong Cookshack advocates over there and lots of advice, etc.

It is an interesting looking machine, but as you said, a tad pricey. The reviews on the company website were great.

http://www.amazon.com/Cookshack-Smokett ... 737&sr=8-1

Still, I might do better than $750 from a local guy.
gatorman

Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:07 am

Alex Frakt wrote:
gatorman wrote:
Alex Frakt wrote:
gatorman

That's one of the best short biographies I've ever read. The only part that rang false was the one paragraph where they tried to dip into psychology.

It is amazing that anyone could live that way, it makes me queasy just thinking about consuming that much alcohol. So, perhaps the excursion into his psyche can be forgiven as an attempt to explain why a person so obviously blessed with extraordinary talent would exhibit such self-destructive behavior?

gatorman

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:34 am

gatorman wrote:
Alex Frakt wrote:That's one of the best short biographies I've ever read. The only part that rang false was the one paragraph where they tried to dip into [Bogart's] psychology.
It is amazing that anyone could live that way, it makes me queasy just thinking about consuming that much alcohol. So, perhaps the excursion into his psyche can be forgiven as an attempt to explain why a person so obviously blessed with extraordinary talent would exhibit such self-destructive behavior?

gatorman
Except they were pooh-poohing other writers who had tried that. Their explanation was that drinking feels good.
Latter-day biographers and armchair psychologists all had a crack at why he liked to drink so much. They blamed inner insecurities, the stress of the celebrity life, his dysfunctional childhood, and so forth. What none of them seem to understand is that some people simply like to drink. That it adds a missing quality to life, makes grey days shine like gold, makes tedious situations seem interesting.
Which doesn't really explain why someone would drink heavily nearly every day of his life. The real reason seems clear. He was an alcoholic, completely addicted to drink. He was able to function reasonably well thanks to his profession, which gave him free time, money and the support of people who could make problems go away. Until he gave himself cancer, which was something that even the studios couldn't fix.

swaption

Post by swaption » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:20 pm

gatorman wrote:
swaption wrote:Alright, now here is a topic where I am happy to contribute. I am going to add another strong contender to the mix. I have owned a Cookshack electric smoker for about 6 years. I previously owned a WSM. Big recommendation for the Cookshack. It is on the pricy side, but really works well. I found the WSM worked very well, but not really practical for me for longer overnight cooks like brisket or pork butt. I use a meat thermometer and can cook something for 18 hours without even so much as opening the smoker. Plenty of information on the web site and also a very active forum. Very strong Cookshack advocates over there and lots of advice, etc.

It is an interesting looking machine, but as you said, a tad pricey. The reviews on the company website were great.

gatorman
Starting at $525 from Cabelas, which is where I ordered it from. Really does a great job and relatively inexpensive to run, just electricity and a couple of wood chunks (not chips). The Smoke and Spice book that was mentioned gave it a good recommendation and that is how I found it.

Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:06 pm

swaption wrote:
gatorman wrote:

gatorman
Starting at $525 from Cabelas, which is where I ordered it from. Really does a great job and relatively inexpensive to run, just electricity and a couple of wood chunks (not chips). The Smoke and Spice book that was mentioned gave it a good recommendation and that is how I found it.
Do you have the "smokette" model?
gatorman
Last edited by gatorman on Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dekecarver

Post by dekecarver » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:15 pm

I have to say the pork belly that just came off the BGE topped the day. Can't beat the BGE for smoking, grilling and a combination of both at the right time.

superlight

Post by superlight » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:59 pm

I've got a medium Big Green Egg, which always seems like a contradiction.

I typically cook for 2, but the medium can cook for a lot of people ... just choose dense boneless foods, like a pork loin, or tenderloins. The medium is kind of small to spread out a lot of ribs.

Per doctor's suggestion, I eat more chicken and less ribs anyway. One chicken on a vertical roaster is easy. Maybe 2-3 would fit in a pinch.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."

Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:50 am

dekecarver wrote:I have to say the pork belly that just came off the BGE topped the day. Can't beat the BGE for smoking, grilling and a combination of both at the right time.
I've heard great things about the BGE from many. I just don't want to go the charcoal route, so will have to give it a pass.
gatorman

superlight

Post by superlight » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:49 pm

gatorman wrote:I've heard great things about the BGE from many. I just don't want to go the charcoal route, so will have to give it a pass.
I had gas for a while, and both for a while. In the end I got rid of my gas grill, to force myself to start the BGE. It doesn't take long when you have it down (using an electric loop starter, 10-20 minutes) and tastes oh so good.

I guess every 3-4 runs I have to get the shop-vac and suck out the ashes.
Last edited by superlight on Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnoutk

Post by johnoutk » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:49 pm

Would also add a vote for the Big Green Egg. Our gas grill was on its last leg this spring and took the plunge for the BGE. Great decision. I was a quick convert and do all my grilling and smoking on it. (Sold my electric smoker 2 weeks after I bought the Egg.) Not very portable, but does everything well. Can not really express how happy I am with it. Smoked the wild turkey I shot this spring on it and was blown away by how good it was.

Edit to add: I had a Bradley smoker. Electric. Four racks. SMoked wood discs. Seemed to do a pretty job. Like I said I sold it, but it did a nice job.

bish0p

Post by bish0p » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:02 pm

I couldn't afford a Weber Bullet and I didn't have space for another piece of equipment. So I bought a device that converts my Weber into a smoker.

http://www.smokenator.com/

It works pretty well and I've used it for several years. I smoked a large Turkey in it for Thanksgiving. It doesn't take up space since you can store it inside the Weber. The inventor uploaded a demo on YouTube.

rocket

no smoker

Post by rocket » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:08 pm

A fellow I know came in 3rd place in BBQ at Memphis in May. This is how he cooked ribs.
Put ribs on smokey grill for 1 hours,
remove from grill,
wrap ribs in AL foil with apple juice & spices,
cook in oven for around 7 hours at 250 degrees.
wiggle rib bones to separate from meat.
He does not use a smoker.

10,000 years ago, man discovered fire, that same day he BBQed meat, and man has been doing it ever since.

swaption

Post by swaption » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:41 am

gatorman wrote:
swaption wrote:
gatorman wrote:

gatorman
Do you have the "smokette" model?
gatorman
Yes, plenty of room for my needs. Built solid like a safe. Something akin to a smoker crock pot, just turn the dial to 225 and off you go.

Buster

Re: Best Smoker

Post by Buster » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:24 pm

gatorman wrote:I am thinking about buying a smoker to compliment my grill and would appreciate your thoughts. Gas or electric? Capacity? Any particular brand/model you think is superior? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
gatorman
You ask about a smoker and mention gas or electric in the same sentence....what???? I have a small 40"x20" smoker with a 20"x20" firebox. It's a Texas Longhorn and made in Uvalde, Texas. If I'm not feelin' lazy I use straight wood(Mesquite, Pecan or Oak). Use a charcoal basket with wood added for flavor will give about 6 hrs. of cook time with no fire tending. Ok, well, I gotta admit a lot of times I smoke the meat to about 1/2 to 3/4 done and then put it in the oven in the house. I'm getting too old and lazy to stay out in the Texas heat all day.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:58 pm

Am I the only one who has experimented with using my kitchen oven to smoke meats?

It's electric so it's capable of keeping the low temp required without trouble and no open flame to ignite the wood (the temperature is far too low for the wood to self-ignite). For the smoke, I put soaked wood chips into an aluminum foil packet and plop it right on the heating element (I found I didn't get enough smoke if I put it on the bottom rack, but this could probably be fixed by using more chips).

Results have been good. Nothing can match a real smoker, but that's not an option for a condo-dweller like myself.

Here's some links I found with oven-smoking methods:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-to-smoke-meat.html
http://thefoureyedbeergeek.blogspot.com ... oking.html

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:27 pm

Alex Frakt wrote:Am I the only one who has experimented with using my kitchen oven to smoke meats?

It's electric so it's capable of keeping the low temp required without trouble and no open flame to ignite the wood (the temperature is far too low for the wood to self-ignite). For the smoke, I put soaked wood chips into an aluminum foil packet and plop it right on the heating element (I found I didn't get enough smoke if I put it on the bottom rack, but this could probably be fixed by using more chips).

Results have been good. Nothing can match a real smoker, but that's not an option for a condo-dweller like myself.

Here's some links I found with oven-smoking methods:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-to-smoke-meat.html
http://thefoureyedbeergeek.blogspot.com ... oking.html
Hey Alex, does the ventilation in your condo keep up with the amount of smoke that leaks out? Or is there not that much smoke? IIRC, you seemed to live in a high rise, so I'm guessing you can't just open up all the windows if it gets smoky, and I'd bet setting off the fire alarm would be unacceptable.

Well, I guess that means, if you can do it, most anyone can!

Rya
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

Nowizard

Another Option:

Post by Nowizard » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:44 pm

Living in Memphis, one of a few places with an arguable claim to the best BBQ, a serious barbequer would only use a smoker with a side box. To give an example, I was looking for one to augment a Weber grill at Home Depot. It was trailer mounted and $2,000. Two men came up while I was looking, both stating it was "pretty good for what it is."

I bought a Char Broiler. It is large, would smoke eight or more shoulders at a time, has a side box and cost just under $200, a small amount for one that weighs well over 100 pounds (The thickness of the metal is a key issue in maintaining temp at typical 250 degrees for 8 hours or more). After looking in the typical stores, it occurred that a store that served rural folks and farmers, places where you often find great bbq, would be a good one to try. Tractor Supply was the place. Great smoker, great price, though it takes several hours to put it together.

tim

Nowizard

Another Approach:

Post by Nowizard » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:51 pm

We have had the standard, Weber grill for years. It is probably 24" in diameter. A very successful way to smoke turkeys of 20 pounds or more is to put about ten briquets in it, put hickory on that, and experiment with the vents until you can get just enough heat to keep the hickory smoking. Smoke for four hours. This will cook it a little. Then, put it in a turkey roaster, cover completely with aluminum foal and cook in the oven for approximately five hours, depending on size, at 350. Moist, smokey and easy. The aluminum foal keeps the moisture in. Just be sure to remove the giblets from the rear and the neck from the neck area!

Tim

superlight

Post by superlight » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:51 pm

A BGE will do 225-250 for 8 hours on one load of charcoal. Sometimes 12. Very little fussing in that time. When the vents are dialed in it will hold a temp for hours. The main disadvantage versus the offset pits is the meat capacity. And if you do burn all the way down it's a little bit of a production to get the meat out and fresh charcoal in.

This isn't to say a BGE is "better." It just has this efficiency advantage for "small" uses. You sure can't cook "some turkeys" with it ;-)

tdirgins

Post by tdirgins » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:51 pm

another vote for the WSM. It is awesome.

dkdoy

Post by dkdoy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:43 pm

Just bought the WSM to complement the propane Weber. Looking forward to cooking with the smoker.