AT&T Coverage Fix

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LTAccumulator

AT&T Coverage Fix

Post by LTAccumulator »

At least at home. I bit this yesterday and it REALLY works. Please note that I have no connection to AT&T other than being a customer. I don't even like em but love the iPhone so I continue to look for ways to make em work for me.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/3gmicrocell/
Mel Lindauer

Re: AT&T Coverage Fix

Post by Mel Lindauer »

LTAccumulator wrote:At least at home. I bit this yesterday and it REALLY works. Please note that I have no connection to AT&T other than being a customer. I don't even like em but love the iPhone so I continue to look for ways to make em work for me.

And how much extra did they charge you per month for this device. And is there a contract requirement?

It doesn't sound like it's something you could take with you as you travel, or am I missing something?
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
ohiost90

Post by ohiost90 »

LTAccumulator wrote:At least at home. I bit this yesterday and it REALLY works. Please note that I have no connection to AT&T other than being a customer. I don't even like em but love the iPhone so I continue to look for ways to make em work for me.

so let me get this straight...you need to pay att up to 150 bucks to fix their lousy coverage? lol...
ted123

Post by ted123 »

Generically, I've heard these called "femtocells." The various cell phone companies have been talking about deploying them for a few years, but I'm not sure if anyone has figured out whether/how to price them.

I hear it's supposed to allow much better call quality than even in places with a strong regular signal, which might get some folks to drop their landline service.
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

ohiost90 wrote:

so let me get this straight...you need to pay att up to 150 bucks to fix their lousy coverage? lol...
It is more than a coverage fix, also. They piggy back off internet for bandwidth instead of using up their own bandwidth, if I am not mistaken.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

What a deal for ATT. You pay them for a device that allows them to offload cellphone data packets onto your internet connection.
LikeYouImagine

Post by LikeYouImagine »

I work for a start up developing a enterprise-class version of this type of product.

This is a consumer 'femtocell' which essentially acts like a wifi route for cellular signals. All phones connected to it send their voice, texts, and data via your broadband connection back to AT&Ts main network.

Eventually, AT&T and others will probably start subsidizing these products like they do phones. So down the road, if were a heavy data user or had poor service, they'd just give you one of these for 'free' with 2-yr contract (and they'll probably raise the price of data to pay for subsidizing these).
ohiost90

Post by ohiost90 »

Sidney wrote:
ohiost90 wrote:

It is more than a coverage fix, also. They piggy back off internet for bandwidth instead of using up their own bandwidth, if I am not mistaken.
Right, they use the bandwith of YOUR isp.

I don't get it. an iPhone can already connect to your Wi-Fi connection. What is the benifit of getting this? There are a ton of VoIP apps cheaper than what you would be paying for this.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Keppy wrote:I work for a start up developing a enterprise-class version of this type of product.

This is a consumer 'femtocell' which essentially acts like a wifi route for cellular signals. All phones connected to it send their voice, texts, and data via your broadband connection back to AT&Ts main network.

Eventually, AT&T and others will probably start subsidizing these products like they do phones. So down the road, if were a heavy data user or had poor service, they'd just give you one of these for free with 2-yr contract.
Thanks for that additional info. However, it sounds as if the device would need to be hardwired plugged, just as wifi routers are, in order to work. If so, that means they wouldn't work if you were on the road and could pick up a wifi signal, but couldn't plug in. Is that correct?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

This does nothing for me. The only reason I have a cell phone is for emergencies (in the car) and as a backup if the IP telephone goes out (which it does when the power goes). What I really need is better coverage at my house. I have a 50 foot tulip poplar which will probably grow to over 90 feet. Maybe I need to lash an antenna to it.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
ted123

Post by ted123 »

jebmke wrote:This does nothing for me. The only reason I have a cell phone is for emergencies (in the car) and as a backup if the IP telephone goes out (which it does when the power goes). What I really need is better coverage at my house. I have a 50 foot tulip poplar which will probably grow to over 90 feet. Maybe I need to lash an antenna to it.
???

Providing better coverage at your house is exactly what this does for you. (As noted, you need a broadband connection to route the call.)

(D'oh. Re-reading, I realize that the femtocell does nothing for you if you only need it when your power is out. Sorry.)
LikeYouImagine

Post by LikeYouImagine »

ohiost90 wrote: I don't get it. an iPhone can already connect to your Wi-Fi connection. What is the benifit of getting this? There are a ton of VoIP apps cheaper than what you would be paying for this.
If cell phone providers had their way, they wouldn't need to have Wi-Fi on phones so that you'll use their licensed spectrum only. WiFi is a band-aid in their eyes because they can't bill for it. Also, you can't take an incoming call to the phone number assigned to the cell phone with VoIP over WiFi.
Mel Lindauer wrote: Thanks for that additional info. However, it sounds as if the device would need to be hardwired plugged, just as wifi routers are, in order to work. If so, that means they wouldn't work if you were on the road and could pick up a wifi signal, but couldn't plug in. Is that correct?
You are correct about needing to be hardwired plugged. There is no reason that someone couldn't develop a femtocell to connect via WiFi, but I don't believe there are currently any that do that.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Keppy wrote:
ohiost90 wrote: I don't get it. an iPhone can already connect to your Wi-Fi connection. What is the benifit of getting this? There are a ton of VoIP apps cheaper than what you would be paying for this.
If cell phone providers had their way, they wouldn't need to have Wi-Fi on phones so that you'll use their licensed spectrum only. WiFi is a band-aid in their eyes because they can't bill for it. Also, you can't take an incoming call to the phone number assigned to the cell phone with VoIP over WiFi.
Mel Lindauer wrote: Thanks for that additional info. However, it sounds as if the device would need to be hardwired plugged, just as wifi routers are, in order to work. If so, that means they wouldn't work if you were on the road and could pick up a wifi signal, but couldn't plug in. Is that correct?

You are correct about needing to be hardwired plugged. There is no reason that someone couldn't develop a femtocell to connect via WiFi, but I don't believe there are currently any that do that.
Perhaps that's a good business opportunity? Don't forget to send some royalties my way for sharing the idea. :D
LikeYouImagine

Post by LikeYouImagine »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Perhaps that's a good business opportunity? Don't forget to send some royalties my way for sharing the idea. :D
Angel funding always welcome for the new and surely will make a billion dollar exit start-up: Totally Wireless Femto-Products :lol:
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Keppy wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote: Perhaps that's a good business opportunity? Don't forget to send some royalties my way for sharing the idea. :D
Angel funding always welcome for the new and surely will make a billion dollar exit start-up: Totally Wireless Femto-Products :lol:
Hopefully when you get inteviewed by the press after your super successful IPO, you'll mention that I gave you the idea on an internet chat forum. :D
exigent

Post by exigent »

We ended up leaving Sprint in favor of AT&T because we couldn't get a decent Sprint signal at our house without buying one of these femtocells. With AT&T we get great coverage (unlike many others have reported) without having to resort to special gadgets.
tdhg566

Post by tdhg566 »

ohiost90 wrote:
I don't get it. an iPhone can already connect to your Wi-Fi connection. What is the benifit of getting this?...
What you're missing, for example, is the difficulty of serving up a better 3G signal for guests who visit my house. Depending on the phone, connection to my ATT Uverse router involves entering a shared/phone generated key into the router and expecting guests to enable WiFi on their phones to get a good signal when they visit. Using this device, I merely enter their phone numbers (up to 10) into the microcell and they're authorized without any changes on their part. Granted, these need to be ATT phone numbers (most of extended family has iPhones - I carry a BB Bold), so that's not an issue (if it were I wouldn't have bought one of these things in the first place). Having already entered them into my microcell, when they visit it will "just work".

WiFi is nice, and I use it a lot, but it's not necessarily a good or universal substitute for a good phone signal, especially where secure WiFi is involved
As an Enrolled Agent I advise clients about taxes and investments. My work is retiree friendly, geographically portable, mentally stimulating, personally profitable and emotionally rewarding.
hudson

Post by hudson »

I know you've looked at cell phone coverage maps for Verizon, AT&T and others. It's clear to me that they are placing cell towers where the population is concentrated. They probably aren't going to invest in a new cell tower unless the population will support it. If you live out in the boonies, it's likely going to be a long time before you get better service.

I live 30 miles from an Interstate Highway so there's no 3G and coverage isn't good away from the major roads. You've got to do your homework to get the best carrier.

It's a long story but I ended up with AT&T...great reception at work, but a bad signal at my residence...so I got the $150 Microcell...a one time purchase...no monthly charge. Now I have 5 bar 3G at home...no more dropped calls. The Microcell isn't always an easy install...I've done 3 now, but AT&T has great Microcell phone support.
ohiost90

Post by ohiost90 »

tdhg566 wrote:
ohiost90 wrote:
I don't get it. an iPhone can already connect to your Wi-Fi connection. What is the benifit of getting this?...
What you're missing, for example, is the difficulty of serving up a better 3G signal for guests who visit my house. Depending on the phone, connection to my ATT Uverse router involves entering a shared/phone generated key into the router and expecting guests to enable WiFi on their phones to get a good signal when they visit. Using this device, I merely enter their phone numbers (up to 10) into the microcell and they're authorized without any changes on their part. Granted, these need to be ATT phone numbers (most of extended family has iPhones - I carry a BB Bold), so that's not an issue (if it were I wouldn't have bought one of these things in the first place). Having already entered them into my microcell, when they visit it will "just work".

WiFi is nice, and I use it a lot, but it's not necessarily a good or universal substitute for agood phone signal, especially where secure WiFi is involved
Yeah, that is what I thought, like I said in my OP. Paying att more money to have acceptable service...LOL.
ohiost90

Post by ohiost90 »

One more thought on the subject. ATT is brilliant with this. The folks dropping 150 bones on this will not want to switch carriers anytime soon. Talk about a captive customer.
diasurfer

Post by diasurfer »

My solution to poor ATT reception at home is to go with Verizon when my contract expires in a couple of months.
Gindacu

Post by Gindacu »

We've had a microcell for a few months and while it's no excuse for AT&Ts coverage issues, I can attest that it works. We live very close to downtown and always have 5 bars outside of our house, but inside is another story. Without it, we might get 2 bars and rarely see 3G. There is no contract fee, just the one time purchase cost (see the link below for rebate options). The microcell is activated for the address where it is located so if you do want to take it with you to a friend's house, you have to update the new address before moving the Microcell. Activation takes about 30min to 2 hours and the Microcell tech support is actually very good. You can also authorize up to 10 phones to connect to the Microcell. Initially it needs to be very close to a window in order for it to get a GPS lock, but once it gets the initial GPS lock and the microcell is successfully activated, you can move it away from the window. We have ours on the floor, behind a wooden filing cabinet, about 4 feet from the closest window. It does require a decent internet connection (ie, no dial-up). My only gripe is that our iPhones still switch back and forth between the Microcell and the closest AT&T tower while we're in the house. I will sit in our kitchen and can watch it go back and forth. So this means that I still get some dropped calls (even though AT&T swears that switching occurs seamlessly). So, it's not perfect, but a great solution if you have no coverage inside of your house/office/etc.

Also, the Microcell has E911 feature so when you're connected to it, the address registered with your account will be automatically given to emergency services. You just need to turn this feature on once your Microcell is up and running. Obviously if there's a power outage, the Microcell will not be on so your phone will have to connect to a regular AT&T tower and therefore the E911 feature will not work.

There's also an unlimited calling plan that you can buy for $20. Without this plan, calls made while connected to the Microcell use up the minutes in your regular cell phone plan.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4 ... leid=30685