Hotel Idea in Washington DC

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ramsfan

Hotel Idea in Washington DC

Post by ramsfan »

Hi -

My wife and I get to spend one evening in Washington DC next week. Trying to pick a hotel has not been easy, since we don't know much.

I have been there on business, and what would be really nice is something that is an easy walk to sites like the White House, and the memorials. Coupled with something near a Metro station.

Any ideas? Is anything near the convention center also convenient to these others places?
avmax8

Post by avmax8 »

Mandarin Oriental is very nice but $$$$. It isn't near the convention center but otherwise meets all your requirements.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I last stayed at the Mayflower. It was expensive, but was centrally located and near a subway stop.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
Jake46

Post by Jake46 »

The Willard will work for you but very expensive.
DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley »

In Fall of 2008, we stayed at:

Liaison Capitol Hill, 415 New Jersey Avenue, NW

It used to be a Holiday Inn and I stayed their on business before. New owners have upgraded it...and of course raised the prices.

It is just north of Capital.........and is easy walking distance to the Mall. It is also a short walk to Union Station. Our stay there was fine.

I would not recommend staying at Hotel Harrington. I had to stay there on business once because all other hotels were booked. It has a lower price........but really lower quality. I would however recommend eating a burger at Harry's restaurant.......right next to this hotel.
Last edited by DaleMaley on Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett
chaz

Post by chaz »

Watergate.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

What i found is this: As a general rule, any hotel that is both nice and walking distance to the White House will be expensive.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I always stay in Georgetown or Alexandria. The Metro will get you to the Mall. Perhaps you are trying to stay too close?
dm200

Post by dm200 »

There are many hotels in Virginia (Alexandria and Arlington) near metro (subway) stops that would be relatively convenient to the attractions in Washington DC. I believe the room rates would be much, much lower.

If you want a Marriott, try theer are two in the Crystal City area of Arlington, right near a Metro stop.

Here is a Holiday Inn in Arlington, right near metro http://www.hiarlington.com/

Here is a Hyatt http://arlington.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

Here is a Westin http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/pr ... rtyID=1513

For a lower price, you could try a best Western http://www.pentagonhotel.com/ or the neighboring Comfort Inn http://www.hotelscombined.com/Hotel/Com ... rginia.htm They are not on the Metro, but they may have a courtesy shuttle, and I suspect the rates are much, much lower than some other hotels.
djmbob

DC Hotels

Post by djmbob »

I am in DC at least once a month... Find out what area you want to stay in, research it on priceline dot com, learn about competing star levels within the "bubble" area and the regular priceline rates... THEN name your own price. I often get Hiltons, Marriotts, Double Trees for $48 - 65 a night in Alexandria or Bethesda. If necessary, use the free hotel shuttle to the metro if you dont get a hotel within walking distance. THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!
Good Luck,
Ray
jef

Post by jef »

Walking distance to metro in Arlington.

www.arlingtoncourtsuites.com
Topic Author
ramsfan

Post by ramsfan »

Thanks all for the great feedback. We are only staying one night, and some rooms freed up at JW Marriott, and I can use Marriott reward points, so this is good.

I will definitely use the other tips on this thread (like the priceline) when we take our kids there someday (soon I hope).

Thanks all! Great help!
Opponent Process

Post by Opponent Process »

you won't be disappointed with JW Marriott.
30/30/20/20 | US/International/Bonds/TIPS | Average Age=37
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
sage1166

Post by sage1166 »

Hyatt Arlington is a very nice hotel with VERY easy access to the Metro (Rosslyn stop).

The nicest place I've been in DC is the Park Hyatt near GWU. It's near the Foggybottom stop on Metro.

Don't be afraid to get a few blocks away from the sites--DC offers many options for easy transportation.
exigent

Post by exigent »

I've stayed at the Melrose and the River Inn, which are both near GWU, sort of between the White House and Georgetown. Good restaurants in walking distance, just a couple blocks to GW Metro stop, and can walk to White House (8-10 blocks).

Alternatively, we stayed out in Alexandria at the Old Town Embassy Suites for a family vacation - it was great. Literally across the street from the Metro with easy access (though a bit of a ride) to pretty much anywhere.
four7s

Post by four7s »

The Hay Adams is one of the nicer hotels, located just across the street from the White House.
gouldnm

Post by gouldnm »

livesoft wrote:I always stay in Georgetown or Alexandria. The Metro will get you to the Mall. Perhaps you are trying to stay too close?
Is there a metro stop in Georgetown?
harland

Post by harland »

gouldnm wrote:
livesoft wrote:I always stay in Georgetown or Alexandria. The Metro will get you to the Mall. Perhaps you are trying to stay too close?
Is there a metro stop in Georgetown?
There is not. You have to cross the Key bridge to get to the nearest metro stop (Rosslyn).
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above-average drivers.
Lacrocious

Post by Lacrocious »

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Convention Center in April, over spring break. It was great. Great breakfast.

It's near the Circulator Bus that will take you down to the Mall area for $1 per person. It is walkable to the Mall, but the bus is easy and cheap. One Metro line is a few blocks away. We usually took the bus in the AM to the Mall, Smithsonian , etc. and then walked back, stopping for dinner and then strolling back the rest of the way. Would highly recommend it.

It was about $210 a night - not cheap - but not expensive (for DC) either. The location made it a worth it in our book.

Have fun
- L
Offshore

Post by Offshore »

We have reservations next week at the Washington Plaza hotel. It was recommended by Victoria, on this site. I believe it was the site of a previous Bogleheads Reunion.

The hotel is close to the White House and has reasonable rates. They have a large, outdoor swimming pool which may come in handy if the June weather is sweltering. I can give you a review when I return, but there I'm sure you can find opinions from Bogleheads who attended the reunion.