King or Queen Size Bed? What Brand?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
leo383

King or Queen Size Bed? What Brand?

Post by leo383 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:43 pm

My wife and I have a queen size bed that needs to be replaced.

I am leaning toward getting a king size bed, as it seems like we need the extra width. My wife is leaning toward another queen and she points out, in Boglehead fashion, that we wouldn't need new sheets for the queen.

What should we do?

Is there a brand that you recommend? I am partial to the Original Mattress Factory for a traditional mattress that is flippable for a reasonable price.

schnoodlemom

Post by schnoodlemom » Wed May 26, 2010 9:10 pm

Hi! When we wanted to go from king size futon to conventional mattress, we mistakenly bought a bed that couldn't navigate our standard stairwell with 2 tight corners. Even with split twin box-springs, the king-size mattress wouldn't make the climb. We regretfully returned it and went with a queen instead. Otherwise we really enjoy kings while traveling. It all depends how critical space is to you. We tried lots of beds, settled on a pillow-top Serta from JCPenny on sale. It's so personal taste & preference, I wouldn't know how to advise -- just make sure you both like it! Good luck! :-) Amanda

pochax

Post by pochax » Wed May 26, 2010 9:52 pm

if you have the space issue sorted out as stated above, i recommend King (although now when i sleep in a queen when traveling, it seems so small).

as far as brands, if you can fork over the dough, Stearns&Foster is clearly top of the line, but if you are budget-minded i prefer Simmons BeautyRest over Serta mattresses. a lot of it is personal taste and within each brand, you have the find that balance of firm vs. soft that fits you (and your back!).

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed May 26, 2010 10:44 pm

If you keep the queen you won't "need" a king. If you go to a king you'll never go back to a queen. That's just how it is, in my experience anyway.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

stratton

Post by stratton » Wed May 26, 2010 11:41 pm

This might be an area where the "queen" rules. :lol:

Paul

GammaPoint

Post by GammaPoint » Thu May 27, 2010 12:53 am

We went from a queen to a king and really like the extra space.

Don't have a particular brand in mind, we just got what felt comfortable when we were out. I remember, when we walked into the mattress store we looked at the mattresses right at the front. The clerk came over and my fiancee wisely said "Hi, do you know of where we can find a discount mattress store?" The clerk then said "We are the discount mattress store!" and we ended up getting maybe 40% the listed price.

So that's a possible strategy in negotiating. We looked like (and were) really poor first-year graduate students when we did this.

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Thu May 27, 2010 1:05 am

There was one big take home message from all of my research: minimize polyurethane foam. That is what fails these days. Apparently there was a major change in the mattress industry in the late 90s or early 00s, and mattresses no longer last as long as earlier mattresses. The four majors (collectively known as the "S-brands", Sealy, Serta, Simmons, and S&F) all use low quality PU for their top surfaces, even for their "premium" lines (Vera Wang, etc). If I remember correctly, OMF also came under criticism for using a lot of PU.

There aren't many solutions. I have a majorly screwed up back so I invested in a zoned latex mattress but that's pricy, and not everyone likes latex. A high quality innerspring mattress is even more expensive, though. For most people it seems the best advice is to go with the lowest price mattress that you can find with a decent springs and the thinnest possible top you can find. The less padding the better (in fact some people will buy a new inexpensive mattress, cut it open, and remove the padding). Then separately buy a mattress topper of your desired thickness and material preference: wool, feather, latex, memory foam, or PU foam (OK as a topper since you can just replace it when it develops sags and lumps).

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Thu May 27, 2010 7:51 am

Buying a mattress can be an absolute pain.

To minimize the difficulty, I just buy the W Hotel bed through the Westin/W at home website. I believe that the bed is a Simmons model. If you watch for discounts, sometimes you can get the bed (and featherbed, and pillows, and so on) up to 40% off, pay no taxes in the process, and get free delivery.

Bob B

Post by Bob B » Thu May 27, 2010 8:01 am

The May 2010 issue of Consumer Reports has a mattress feature with ratings and buying tips.
Regards, | Bob | Wiki

tfb

Post by tfb » Thu May 27, 2010 9:12 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:If you keep the queen you won't "need" a king. If you go to a king you'll never go back to a queen. That's just how it is, in my experience anyway.
I agree. I'm not going back to a queen.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

joebruin77

Re: King or Queen Size Bed? What Brand?

Post by joebruin77 » Thu May 27, 2010 9:16 am

leo383 wrote:My wife and I have a queen size bed that needs to be replaced.

I am leaning toward getting a king size bed, as it seems like we need the extra width. My wife is leaning toward another queen and she points out, in Boglehead fashion, that we wouldn't need new sheets for the queen.

What should we do?

Is there a brand that you recommend? I am partial to the Original Mattress Factory for a traditional mattress that is flippable for a reasonable price.
I highly recommend buying a mattress through Costco.com. In particular, we bought the Novaform (or is it Novafoam) mattress and love it. It is a LOT cheaper than a Temperpedic and, to me, feels just as comfortable. The best thing about Costco is that in a year or two, if you are not satisfied, you can return it for a full refund, including the original shipping charges.

Hope that helps.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu May 27, 2010 9:26 am

King. Latex. This is a very personal decision that we came to after years of trying Sealy, Simmons, Waterbed, etc. ... best advice is to have both of you lay on it in the store for at least 15 or 20 minutes in your normal sleeping positions. And, make sure you can return it with no or minimal expense for at least 30 days.

Fletch
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

kcyahoo

Post by kcyahoo » Thu May 27, 2010 9:42 am

Sleep Number, King. No problem getting it through close quarters and each of you can chose your own firmness. We've had one for years. When we get two queens in a hotel we use in both beds.
Retired @ 57, now 75 | was 50/45/5, then 42/54/04, now 35/60/5 | KC

Riprap

Post by Riprap » Thu May 27, 2010 10:08 am

I have a king sized King's Down mattress. Do not under any circumstances spend your money on this brand. It is way overpriced and has not lived up to its quality reputation. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way.

btenny

Post by btenny » Thu May 27, 2010 11:03 am

I recommend a California King size. This is 6 feet by 7 feet. Much better than the regular Queen or King size if you are tall or like a longer bed.

We have a latex Sealy Posture Pedic mattress and we love it. It has good support even though it is soft. I have had latex mattresses forever and they are the best.

Bill

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Thu May 27, 2010 12:01 pm

Bob B wrote:The May 2010 issue of Consumer Reports has a mattress feature with ratings and buying tips.
That article came out not long after I'd just done a ton of research and bought my mattress. I browsed through it in a store out of curiosity and I was shocked - I thought it was one of the least informative articles I've ever seen in CR. It made me remember why I finally canceled my subscription after nearly 20 years.

Linda

pr

Post by pr » Thu May 27, 2010 12:11 pm

King. I've owned Sealy, Serta, Simmons, Tempurpedic, Kingsdown as well as generic mattresses. If you can afford it get a Comfort Select bed. Hands down the best one I have ever owned.

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Thu May 27, 2010 12:26 pm

We both have back problems so we bought the top of the line king size Tempurpedic with pillow top, power adjustment, massage and wireless remotes. It was a little expensive, but we have both been sleeping better since we got it than we have in years.
No more back pain when I wake up in the morning, priceless!

gatorman

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Thu May 27, 2010 2:37 pm

Through a period of 6 or so years, after our satisfactory Montgomery Ward foam mattress failed, we bought and returned several Sealy mattresses to a retailer because they hurt our back, finally took a loss and bought somewhere else an Englander mattress for about the same price and are happy with that one. While looking at mattresses I realized that various retailers had all different Sealy mattresses, that is the names did not match. There was or were Sealy factories which manufactured specific mattresses for each retailer, I could not compare. This might be the same setup with other manufacturers. This mattress business setup looked to me like a scam then. The most advertising mattress retailer then sold the poorest quality mattress. It gave us a real runaround.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:09 pm

My $0.02:

Once you go king size, you can never go back. A queen will seem cramped. You can never have too much room in bed. Just get new sheets and enjoy the extra real estate.

We've had a king sized Select Comfort Sleep by Numbers air mattress for about 8 years now. It's the best mattress I've ever slept on. I have yet to sleep in a bed anywhere (including in luxury hotels) which beats my bed. Both sides of the bed can be independently adjusted to the sleeper's preferred level of firmness. It's more expensive than other mattresses, but considering we spend 30% of our lives on it, it's worth the extra $.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:20 pm

We have a King.

There may be situations where a King is actually better for the space of getting the bed into and out of the desired room. It has been a few years since I investigated this, but the "box spring" of a Queen is one piece -- and may be a challenge in stairways, hallways, etc. The "box spring" of a King is actually two separate "box springs" and can fit in tighter quarters. The mattresses can normally be bent and twisted go go around corners (especially a foam one, as we have)

MWCA

Post by MWCA » Thu May 27, 2010 7:08 pm

smackboy1 wrote:My $0.02:

Once you go king size, you can never go back. A queen will seem cramped. You can never have too much room in bed. Just get new sheets and enjoy the extra real estate.

We've had a king sized Select Comfort Sleep by Numbers air mattress for about 8 years now. It's the best mattress I've ever slept on. I have yet to sleep in a bed anywhere (including in luxury hotels) which beats my bed. Both sides of the bed can be independently adjusted to the sleeper's preferred level of firmness. It's more expensive than other mattresses, but considering we spend 30% of our lives on it, it's worth the extra $.
To each their own. Dont enjoy King beds. DW and I enjoy sleeping near each other and touching. However, I agree if you like the extra room its an obvious choice. Some folks are large and they might enjoy the extra room.
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Thu May 27, 2010 7:57 pm

We each sleep in our own queen sized beds. I have a S&F, and she has a Sealy. Both beds were top of the line when purchased and both beds have held up well over the years. We both sleep like babies. I tried a memory foam bed and it didn't have the support my back requires. My son however just loves that bed. Good luck.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

JordanIB

Post by JordanIB » Thu May 27, 2010 8:27 pm

joebruin77 wrote:

What should we do?

I highly recommend buying a mattress through Costco.com. In particular, we bought the Novaform (or is it Novafoam) mattress and love it. It is a LOT cheaper than a Temperpedic and, to me, feels just as comfortable. The best thing about Costco is that in a year or two, if you are not satisfied, you can return it for a full refund, including the original shipping charges.

Hope that helps.
I thought they had curtailed their lifetime, no-questions-asked, return policy. Too many people doing things like, well, buying a mattress and returning it 2 years later for a full refund. :)

Or is that just for electronics?

firewynd

Post by firewynd » Thu May 27, 2010 10:54 pm

King. Queen is wayyy too small. Tried a Queen when first got married and couldn't sleep at all. Good rest is well worth the extra $300ish more for a King.

Don't get all cheap / frugal when it comes to picking out a bed. A good night rest is well worth any additional expense.

I have a Serta, but honestly Simmons, S&F, Sealy, Tempurpedic are all probably great choices. Just go to a store and lay on them and see what you like.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Thu May 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Two X-tra long twin mattress and spring sets are a King size bed. They fit together on a king size frame. They do not swing apart but are one bed with separate mattresses and springs. This makes it easy to turn the mattresses (even for older turners), easy to move them into the room, creates less disturbance for one sleeper when the other needs to get up a lot or is restless and makes it easy for each sleeper to get the firmness they prefer while still sharing a bed. It is a bit more expensive (+$250 or so), but, I think, well worth the extra.

joebruin77

Post by joebruin77 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:43 am

JordanIB wrote:
joebruin77 wrote:

What should we do?

Hope that helps.
I thought they had curtailed their lifetime, no-questions-asked, return policy. Too many people doing things like, well, buying a mattress and returning it 2 years later for a full refund. :)

Or is that just for electronics?

They only curtailed the return policy for electronics. Here is what the Costco.com website says:

"We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones."

The only trick in returning a king size mattress is getting it to the store.

Can't_wait_to_Retire

Post by Can't_wait_to_Retire » Fri May 28, 2010 10:38 am

After sleeping on a King size Sealy for years we just switched to a Queen Temperpedic (middle of their line one).

We're doing OK, with it. I'm pretty happy, but Husband is having second thoughts on the Temperpedic. He's bonked me in the face twice and kicked me once. He says it seems to hard and hurts his shoulder.

I'm a restless sleeper and would always toss, turn, flale and punch while dreaming, but haven't done any of that in the new bed. I'm thinking it's because I sink into the Temper and don't have to reposition for aches and pains.

It is nice to have more floor space in the bedroom.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri May 28, 2010 11:23 am

We have a King size and like it. I or my wife moving around will not affect each other. Our experience with a spring mattress was that you will not know exactly at the time of purchase, if the mattress will perform well. Our Sealy made for that particular retailer had sunk in permanently in the middle by 1-2 inches after one year. That might have been an indication of poor quality and the cause for both of us having a sore back in the morning. We never had back pain before on a foam mattress and after with an Englaender mattress.

I will suggest to never buy a mattress from a large retailer who advertises a lot about his quality and inexpensive mattresses. Manufacturer names might not mean much.

harland

Post by harland » Fri May 28, 2010 2:04 pm

My wife and I also appreciate the extra room that comes with a king-size bed.

My personal preference is for latex rubber foam. There isn't that sinking-in feeling that you sometimes get with memory foam, but it relieves pressure points just as well.

I think Consumer Reports rated the Original Mattress Factory quite highly...
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above-average drivers.

vtail61

Post by vtail61 » Fri May 28, 2010 10:08 pm

The dog sleeps between my wife and I. Definitely wouldn't fit on a queen sized matress.

scouter

Post by scouter » Sat May 29, 2010 12:18 am

If you've got the room, I don't think you'll ever regret going with a King. And after much research and many trials, we ended up going with memory foam, which we love. A bonus is that there's little motion transference, so if one of us can't sleep, it doesn't keep the other one up. Some folks hate memory foam though, so whatever you get, be sure you can return it. As someone else said, Costco is a good choice-

swaption

Post by swaption » Sat May 29, 2010 6:57 am

another vote for latex. I don't think I would sleep on anything else now. Sealy is good. Many people don"t know about latex, worth looking into.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sat May 29, 2010 3:49 pm

MWCA wrote:To each their own. Dont enjoy King beds. DW and I enjoy sleeping near each other and touching.
Same here, when we are traveling and get a king bed it just seems way too wide.

In switching, I would think a more significant factor than sheets would be the need for a whole new bed (headboard and footboard) and presumably most would want this to match the rest of their bedroom set.

At one time some manufacturers had come out with something they call "Olympic Queen", I think. This added 6 inches of width, IIRC but fit on a queen frame. Seemed like a good idea to me, but it never caught on. There is 12-16 inches difference in width between a queen and a king, seems like enough that there could be a market for something in-between.

We just started shopping and are leaning to latex foam, based on the research I did after testing our some memory foam. Did not even know about the latex option until I ran across that while research memory foam. Glad to see only positive comments on latex here...
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Sun May 30, 2010 4:01 pm

jeffyscott wrote:
MWCA wrote:To each their own. Dont enjoy King beds. DW and I enjoy sleeping near each other and touching.
Same here, when we are traveling and get a king bed it just seems way too wide.

In switching, I would think a more significant factor than sheets would be the need for a whole new bed (headboard and footboard) and presumably most would want this to match the rest of their bedroom set.

At one time some manufacturers had come out with something they call "Olympic Queen", I think. This added 6 inches of width, IIRC but fit on a queen frame. Seemed like a good idea to me, but it never caught on. There is 12-16 inches difference in width between a queen and a king, seems like enough that there could be a market for something in-between.

We just started shopping and are leaning to latex foam, based on the research I did after testing our some memory foam. Did not even know about the latex option until I ran across that while research memory foam. Glad to see only positive comments on latex here...
Latex is what I have, and they're supposed to be extremely durable. The thing to watch for with latex beds is that many are not entirely latex (read the fine print carefully). If they have PU foam, it will fail at the same rate as a modern innerspring.

Some have a surface layer of PU foam, which will sag and get lumpy. I've never laid on a mattress that felt better in the store than the Serta latex, but I've learned the hard way not to trust that strategy - I passed. (Nothing feels better than PU foam - for the first 2-6 months before it compresses down.) Other mattresses are mostly latex but edged with a stiffer foam. The one thing people hate most about latex is that because of the way it supports you it is not so comfortable to sit on the side of the bed to pull off your socks - the edge support improves this. I've heard mixed reviews on that style of construction.

The boglehead approach to latex mattresses is a do-it-yourself approach, either entirely on your own or using a company that sells mattress kits. You can buy latex layers of whatever firmness you desire, and zip them into a mattress cover. This is usually less expensive than buying an assembled mattress, and you can also customize each side to different firmnesses.

I like the kits. I was very satisfied with flobeds.com - not the cheapest option, but the customer service is unbeatable and you can continue to exchange layers until you get the bed that feels exactly right for you. SleepEZ also gets good reviews and is a bit cheaper, and there are other companies.
Last edited by epilnk on Sun May 30, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yakers

Post by yakers » Sun May 30, 2010 4:13 pm

We went from a king to a queen, love it, my wife can't get away so easily
:wink: Tempurpedic is the best for the two of us. Have more room around our smaller Boglehead-sized house. When we travel we try king size and don't really care for the size.

No one snores, right? The best answer might be two beds, one in another room.

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Sun May 30, 2010 5:21 pm

pochax wrote:as far as brands, if you can fork over the dough, Stearns&Foster is clearly top of the line, but if you are budget-minded i prefer Simmons BeautyRest over Serta mattresses. a lot of it is personal taste and within each brand, you have the find that balance of firm vs. soft that fits you (and your back!).
S&F used to be an ultra premium brand, and they made very good mattresses before they were bought by Sealy. Now the materials and construction are pretty comparable between the two labels. (I do recall seeing the opinion that the springs might still be higher quality than Sealy's, but I don't know whether that's true.) They seem to be coasting somewhat on their old reputation, but they seem to attract even more complaints than Sealy, though perhaps that's simply because the prices and expectations are higher.

Topic Author
leo383

Post by leo383 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:29 pm

Here's the verdict:

We went to the Original Mattress Factory and bought a king size Regency mattress and box spring. This is their middle of the road set--was about $900 out the door. Not a pillow top. Two sided mattress that you can flip.

I have previously bought twin sized beds for our kids there, and have been impressed with their "no BS" approach to mattresses. At least they seem like they are no BS. :)

I asked about buying a pillow-top mattress, and about buying a latex or Tempurpedic mattress, and the salesman's answer was, "you can experiment with those in the form of a mattress cover later."

He could have sold me their latex mattress or their pillow top mattress, and made $400 more off of us, but he didn't. That's why I was partial to this store to start with.

Downeastah

Post by Downeastah » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:19 pm

epilnk wrote: Latex is what I have, and they're supposed to be extremely durable. The thing to watch for with latex beds is that many are not entirely latex (read the fine print carefully). If they have PU foam, it will fail at the same rate as a modern innerspring.

Some have a surface layer of PU foam, which will sag and get lumpy. I've never laid on a mattress that felt better in the store than the Serta latex, but I've learned the hard way not to trust that strategy - I passed. (Nothing feels better than PU foam - for the first 2-6 months before it compresses down.) Other mattresses are mostly latex but edged with a stiffer foam. The one thing people hate most about latex is that because of the way it supports you it is not so comfortable to sit on the side of the bed to pull off your socks - the edge support improves this. I've heard mixed reviews on that style of construction.

The boglehead approach to latex mattresses is a do-it-yourself approach, either entirely on your own or using a company that sells mattress kits. You can buy latex layers of whatever firmness you desire, and zip them into a mattress cover. This is usually less expensive than buying an assembled mattress, and you can also customize each side to different firmnesses.

I like the kits. I was very satisfied with flobeds.com - not the cheapest option, but the customer service is unbeatable and you can continue to exchange layers until you get the bed that feels exactly right for you. SleepEZ also gets good reviews and is a bit cheaper, and there are other companies.
Agree 100%. We just bought from FloBeds in April, and couldn't be happier (and more comfortable) with this bed! After years of struggling with inner spring, air, water, etc this is the most comfortable and supportive bed and it's 100% natural latex....no heat retention, hypoallergenic, no dust mites, no flipping.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." George S. Patton, Jr. | | "A man does good business, when he rids himself of a turd." King Edward I of England

zinnia

Post by zinnia » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:39 pm

You spend a lot of time in bed, it's worth the investment to buy quality, no room for cheapness......and yes, once you go king, you don't want to go back to queen.....

skatterZ

Post by skatterZ » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:57 pm

we sleep in a lot of king sized beds in hotels
call them "cell phone beds"
You don't know who is on the other side
I sleep with my wife so like to have her close
In a king you could sleep with any one

madsinger

Post by madsinger » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:09 pm

Wow! Are my wife and I the only people sleeping in a "double" bed any more? I know as a Boglehead, I'm already somewhat out of the mainstream, but gosh...next you'll all be telling me that you own cell phones!

:-)

-Brad.

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:58 pm

skatterZ wrote:we sleep in a lot of king sized beds in hotels
call them "cell phone beds"
You don't know who is on the other side
I sleep with my wife so like to have her close
In a king you could sleep with any one
Um, actually, in a king size bed you still have the option of sleeping up against your partner. At least you can in our bed, which has no fence or moat in the center. If your partner tries to get away, just follow. Whether your spouse is smuggling someone in on the other side without your knowledge is a matter to be handled between the two of you.

So there's no major downside to a king. A queen, on the other hand, feels distinctly crowded in the middle of the night once the cats and the kids begin sneaking in.

Dagwood

Post by Dagwood » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:02 pm

We have a Tempurpedic queen sized bed. We're really happy with the mattress. IIRC, it was about $3500. Not cheap but we sleep very well now.

dbonnett

Post by dbonnett » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:51 pm

We have had a California King water bed (plain unmodified water bag) topped with 3" foam pad for more than 20-years. We stay in quite a few nice hotels and even the pillow top mattress in the Marriott doesn't seem as comfortable. When we get to old to get out of this water bed we are thinking of 7" foam on box spring king. Any thoughts?

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:53 pm

Ten years ago I bought a Tempurpedic and I still don't like it. It weighs a ton and is like sleeping on wet sand. The one in the store felt great but not the one I got. I bought a topper for it that makes it better but it's still hot in the summer in AZ. I'm thinking about buying a Select Comfort.

Which leads to my question: To those of you with Select Comfort beds, what model mattress would your recommend? I'm looking for one that breathes and won't feel hot in the very hot summers we have here. Shopping at the bed stores out here is worse than dealing with used car salesmen. They are more interested in up-selling the customer and moving the goods than telling the truth.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

Sriracha

Post by Sriracha » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:32 pm

What should we do?

We made the jump to king a while ago and don't regret it a bit. In first instance, it is a jump in price, but, even if you sleep less hours than average per night, you're still going spend many, many hours in whichever bed you purchase over the course of 20 years or whatever. It's one area where I'd say to go for the comfort factor.

As for the brand, that's tougher b/c it's so personal.
Don't reach for yield.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:02 pm

If it's just the money that's the issue, I'd get the King. I no longer skimp on beds and my back thanks me for it every morning...

I have two Tempurpedics (my original queen is now in the second bedroom). Although they are heavy, they're worth the money. They have a 20 year warranty as well.

JT

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:27 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:If you keep the queen you won't "need" a king. If you go to a king you'll never go back to a queen. That's just how it is, in my experience anyway.
Agree completely.My wife and I recently bought a new King size Englander mattress.We were repalcing our old king set.We were considering buying a smaller Queen size but the salesman
in passing said we would "miss" the king size if we went to a queen.
I found out he was correct.I would have been disappointed if I had .
Thoroughly pleased with Englander King.Paid about 1500 :D :D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

edge

Post by edge » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:44 pm

I can recommend a 'Latex Bliss' mattress. Unlike most of the big brand name 'latex' mattresses these mattresses are almost all latex except for a necessary stabilization layer at the bottom. Most of the big brands have a poly core with a 3 inch layer of latex to reduce cost. The poly core can become distorted over a relatively short period of time.

I am sensitive to hot sleeping and latex is cooler than memory foam and you don't sink into a hole in the middle of the mattress either.