Baseball As A Professional Sport Is Fascinating

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
Baseball Whiz
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Pelham, Alabama

Baseball As A Professional Sport Is Fascinating

Post by Baseball Whiz » Tue May 18, 2010 1:32 am

The opportunity to put together winning teams and have a dynasty like the Yankees have done through the history of the sport is what makes it interesting and fascinating.

So many teams have the good fortune or is it by Chance and the alignment of the Moon and Stars of the Galaxy which might produce World Series winners only once each century.
In all endeavors be a good sport

brxn
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:04 pm
Location: USA

Post by brxn » Tue May 18, 2010 1:46 am

For me, dynasties like the Yankees make the sport less interesting.

To each his own, I guess?

Indices
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:40 am
Contact:

Post by Indices » Tue May 18, 2010 2:22 am

I think the OP is a spambot.

tim1999
Posts: 3483
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:16 am

Post by tim1999 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:01 am

To me, it's like watching paint dry.

User avatar
SecretAsianMan
Posts: 656
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:46 am

Post by SecretAsianMan » Tue May 18, 2010 9:53 am

Indices wrote:I think the OP is a spambot.
+1

I hadn't noticed the website link till just now. Moderators, can we ban this guy and delete all his posts?

SAM

User avatar
ddb
Posts: 5509
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:37 pm
Location: American Gardens Building, West 81st St.

Post by ddb » Tue May 18, 2010 9:55 am

If NYY and BOS are playing each other in the ALCS, I MIGHT watch the ninth inning of each potential elimination game. Other than that, baseball remains the last thing I would ever choose to watch.

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB

Gigi
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:24 am

Post by Gigi » Tue May 18, 2010 9:56 am

I'm in Chicago. I find neither team fascinating.

GammaPoint
Posts: 2608
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:25 am
Location: Washington

Post by GammaPoint » Tue May 18, 2010 10:01 am

Cherokee8215 wrote:To me, it's like watching paint dry.
Yeah, I've never been interested in baseball, even while I was playing it while younger. I prefer sports where more than a couple players move at the same time.

MWCA
Posts: 2819
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:21 pm
Location: A wonderful place

Post by MWCA » Tue May 18, 2010 10:16 am

Put a salary cap on it. I might get interested.
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.

User avatar
jeff mc
Posts: 2711
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: minnesota
Contact:

Post by jeff mc » Tue May 18, 2010 10:27 am

Indices wrote:I think the OP is a spambot.
no, this isn't a spambot, but i did remove the link to the baseball website. also, we don't mind some slightly off-topic discussions, but we don't need 4 different baseball threads going on. please post all of these type of baseball discussions in one thread instead of starting several baseball-themed threads. thanks.

User avatar
Judsen
Posts: 862
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Birmingham, Al.

Post by Judsen » Tue May 18, 2010 10:51 am

Indices wrote:I think the OP is a spambot.
Nope, He is just a guy who is fascinated by baseball.
I have another friend who is fascinated by fly-fishing. It is not so unlike being fascinated with investments but belongs on some other forum.
Many of us have varied interests. Sometimes we share our "love of something other than investing" for those friends on the forum who may have interests in common.
I have no interest in baseball but I know the OP and I assure ya'll he is simply a baseball fanatic and one hell of a nice guy.
A real coach.
Cheers, Jud
Be the change you want to see in the world

four7s
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:37 am

Post by four7s » Tue May 18, 2010 11:06 am

What is a perfect day at 'the ole ball park?'

A final score of 3-2 in 12 innings with a lot of good defensive plays. A few beers, some peanuts and a couple of brats. Some fun chit chat with people sitting nearby. What more could you want outa life?

User avatar
SecretAsianMan
Posts: 656
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:46 am

Post by SecretAsianMan » Tue May 18, 2010 11:15 am

Judsen wrote:
Indices wrote:I think the OP is a spambot.
Nope, He is just a guy who is fascinated by baseball.
I have another friend who is fascinated by fly-fishing. It is not so unlike being fascinated with investments but belongs on some other forum.
Many of us have varied interests. Sometimes we share our "love of something other than investing" for those friends on the forum who may have interests in common.
I have no interest in baseball but I know the OP and I assure ya'll he is simply a baseball fanatic and one hell of a nice guy.
A real coach.
Cheers, Jud
If he was indeed just a guy who is fascinated by baseball, it seems like he would actually engage in the discussion in some of the multiple threads he has started. Call me crazy...

SAM

User avatar
Judsen
Posts: 862
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Birmingham, Al.

Post by Judsen » Tue May 18, 2010 11:54 am

SecretAsianMan wrote:
Judsen wrote:
Indices wrote:I think the OP is a spambot.
Nope, He is just a guy who is fascinated by baseball.
I have another friend who is fascinated by fly-fishing. It is not so unlike being fascinated with investments but belongs on some other forum.
Many of us have varied interests. Sometimes we share our "love of something other than investing" for those friends on the forum who may have interests in common.
I have no interest in baseball but I know the OP and I assure ya'll he is simply a baseball fanatic and one hell of a nice guy.
A real coach.
Cheers, Jud
If he was indeed just a guy who is fascinated by baseball, it seems like he would actually engage in the discussion in some of the multiple threads he has started. Call me crazy...

SAM
We are all crazy... It is just a matter of degree!
Jud
Be the change you want to see in the world

Snowjob
Posts: 1491
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:53 pm

Post by Snowjob » Tue May 18, 2010 12:03 pm

I used to watch baseball religiously as a Boston fan. I dont even turn it on anymore, even for Redsox-Yankees.

If you add up all of the time the baseball is in play I bet it amounts to like 10 min a game. Out of a 3-3.5 hour event, 90% is fluff. I have better things to do with my time.

User avatar
Judsen
Posts: 862
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Birmingham, Al.

Post by Judsen » Tue May 18, 2010 12:20 pm

Snowjob wrote:I used to watch baseball religiously as a Boston fan. I dont even turn it on anymore, even for Redsox-Yankees.

If you add up all of the time the baseball is in play I bet it amounts to like 10 min a game. Out of a 3-3.5 hour event, 90% is fluff. I have better things to do with my time.
Me too!
I could be in Wrigley's Believe it or Not or The Guinness Book of records for lowest batting average.
But like Four7s said, "What more could you want from life?" than opportunities to escape from lifes vicissitudes via sports or entertainment!!
Be the change you want to see in the world

User avatar
Baseball Whiz
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Pelham, Alabama

Re: Baseball As A Professional Sport Is Fascinating

Post by Baseball Whiz » Wed May 19, 2010 1:38 pm

Baseball Whiz wrote:The opportunity to put together winning teams and have a dynasty like the Yankees have done through the history of the sport is what makes it interesting and fascinating.

So many teams have the good fortune or is it by Chance and the alignment of the Moon and Stars of the Galaxy which might produce World Series winners only once each century.
The Phillies caught the charm of winning a World Series in 1980 and again in 2008 so they are on track for a Series Championship ring for each century.
In all endeavors be a good sport

The Wizard
Posts: 12277
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:45 pm
Location: Reading, MA

Re: Baseball As A Professional Sport Is Fascinating

Post by The Wizard » Wed May 19, 2010 1:59 pm

Baseball Whiz wrote:
Baseball Whiz wrote:The opportunity to put together winning teams and have a dynasty like the Yankees have done through the history of the sport is what makes it interesting and fascinating.

So many teams have the good fortune or is it by Chance and the alignment of the Moon and Stars of the Galaxy which might produce World Series winners only once each century.
The Phillies caught the charm of winning a World Series in 1980 and again in 2008 so they are on track for a Series Championship ring for each century.
I'm not sure we care about arcane suppositions spanning multiple decades.
What we care about is why the RedSox lose regular season games by walking in the winning run with bases loaded.
:(

User avatar
tadamsmar
Posts: 7780
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 12:33 pm

Post by tadamsmar » Wed May 19, 2010 2:33 pm

I like the book Moneyball by the same author as the current The Big Short.

The book is about Oakland GM Billy Beane's strategy for competing with about 1/3 the total salary of the Yankees.

For example, Beane figured out that saves were a phony stat. He took a burned out starting pitcher and turned him into the best closer in baseball the next year just by cherry-picking the game situations where he was put in. Then he traded the guy. His owner allowed him to keep the profit for salaries. If I recall correctly he added about 20% to one year's salaries with this trick. The closer was mediocre after he left Oakland.

But Beane's strategies stopped working a few years ago. More teams now use his approach, including Boston. And, his management staff has been mined to produce a number of the current GMs.

Comparable to having the value premium go away if value got priced up.

User avatar
3CT_Paddler
Posts: 3225
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:28 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Wed May 19, 2010 2:57 pm

Major League Baseball is the only one of the big three American sports(Football, Basketball, and Baseball), where the professional game is head and shoulders above the non-professional ranks in atmosphere/quality of play IMO. It definitely lacks the instant excitement of basketball and football, but there is something about it that always draws me in.

User avatar
Random Musings
Posts: 5209
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Post by Random Musings » Wed May 19, 2010 3:06 pm

3CT_Paddler wrote:
Major League Baseball is the only one of the big three American sports(Football, Basketball, and Baseball), where the professional game is head and shoulders above the non-professional ranks in atmosphere/quality of play IMO.
You obviously haven't seen the Bucco's play the past seventeen years.

RM

Gigi
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:24 am

Post by Gigi » Wed May 19, 2010 3:07 pm

After watching the hockey game last night.... it made me realize how incredibly slow and boring baseball is.

Stop scratching yourself.
Stop kicking the dirt and DOOOOOO something!

User avatar
Baseball Whiz
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Pelham, Alabama

Post by Baseball Whiz » Wed May 19, 2010 3:58 pm

Gigi wrote:After watching the hockey game last night.... it made me realize how incredibly slow and boring baseball is.

Stop scratching yourself.
Stop kicking the dirt and DOOOOOO something!
Bottom of the ninth inning score all tied 2-2, it is the championship game for winning the pennant, runners are on first and third with two outs and the pitcher the weakest hitter on the team coming to the plate.

What strategy would you consider for the possible win in this situation?
In all endeavors be a good sport

User avatar
Baseball Whiz
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Pelham, Alabama

Re: Baseball As A Professional Sport Is Fascinating

Post by Baseball Whiz » Wed May 19, 2010 4:09 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Baseball Whiz wrote:
Baseball Whiz wrote:The opportunity to put together winning teams and have a dynasty like the Yankees have done through the history of the sport is what makes it interesting and fascinating.

So many teams have the good fortune or is it by Chance and the alignment of the Moon and Stars of the Galaxy which might produce World Series winners only once each century.
The Phillies caught the charm of winning a World Series in 1980 and again in 2008 so they are on track for a Series Championship ring for each century.
I'm not sure we care about arcane suppositions spanning multiple decades.
What we care about is why the RedSox lose regular season games by walking in the winning run with bases loaded.
:(
The game is never over till the fat lady sings. Do not know the total situation of who is hitting how many outs etc. But do know if the hitter at the plate is a good hitter the only hope the pitcher has in his arsenal is to pitch carefully trying to outduel the hitter pitching close and on the corners instead of a fat pitch to a good hitter.

There is no rule in baseball which says pitches close to being strikes should be called strikes. Close is how we play horseshoes.
In all endeavors be a good sport

User avatar
Baseball Whiz
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Pelham, Alabama

Post by Baseball Whiz » Wed May 19, 2010 4:38 pm

GammaPoint wrote:
Cherokee8215 wrote:To me, it's like watching paint dry.
Yeah, I've never been interested in baseball, even while I was playing it while younger. I prefer sports where more than a couple players move at the same time.
Your painted picture is absolutely true for a lot of things of life and with many people, however there are a lot of subtle things about the game of baseball which requires heads up studied atttention and practiced skill.

Example--as an outfielder playing during a day game does it matter a tinkers dad-gum if the sun is bright and not a cloud in sight or would you as a fielder prefer some cloud cover? Clouds above help significantly for an outfielder to pick up the flight of the ball and give betters depth perception for seeing the ball.

Would a curve ball throwing specialist pitcher prefer a cool damp day or a hot dry day for his turn on the mound for the game?
In all endeavors be a good sport

User avatar
BigD53
Posts: 1042
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:47 pm

Post by BigD53 » Wed May 19, 2010 6:16 pm

I'm a fan, but I prefer the game of years gone by. The late 50s, 60s, 70s, and into the 80s.

I am turned off by the pro players of today's generation. The ultra baggy uniforms and long pants are ridiculous. The cap tilted to one side, (what's that supposed to be? Hip Hop? Gangsta?) The attitude of the players has changed for the negative. I also think the high salaries have tainted the game.

Basketball? Same thing. It was much more enjoyable to watch in the past. Now days, the players look like thugs with all those tatoos and baggy uniforms.

I would much rather watch colegiate sports, but even that is becoming "thugish."

User avatar
TJAJ9
Posts: 1241
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:37 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Post by TJAJ9 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:28 pm

Baseball Whiz wrote:
Gigi wrote:After watching the hockey game last night.... it made me realize how incredibly slow and boring baseball is.

Stop scratching yourself.
Stop kicking the dirt and DOOOOOO something!
Bottom of the ninth inning score all tied 2-2, it is the championship game for winning the pennant, runners are on first and third with two outs and the pitcher the weakest hitter on the team coming to the plate.

What strategy would you consider for the possible win in this situation?
Pinch hitter.

User avatar
Baseball Whiz
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Pelham, Alabama

Post by Baseball Whiz » Thu May 20, 2010 1:07 am

TJAJ9 wrote:
Baseball Whiz wrote:
Gigi wrote:After watching the hockey game last night.... it made me realize how incredibly slow and boring baseball is.

Stop scratching yourself.
Stop kicking the dirt and DOOOOOO something!
Bottom of the ninth inning score all tied 2-2, it is the championship game for winning the pennant, runners are on first and third with two outs and the pitcher the weakest hitter on the team coming to the plate.

What strategy would you consider for the possible win in this situation?
Pinch hitter.
Absolutely, but consider the game is also a game which could utilize also some strategy elements above and beyond the routine or standard would a squeeze bunt be considered?

Would it be feasible to consider sending the runner from first to steal second hoping the catrcher might make a mistake and try to throw the runner out going to second?

If so the runner at third being quick and alert could capitalize on the poor judgment error of the catcher. Being ready to streak home as the runner from first stops short of the tag leaving the shortstop or the second baseman in a very awkward body and throwing position to capture the runner from third streaking to home plate.

Playing baseball requires knowing many strategies about the game just as there are many strategies required to be an astute invester.
In all endeavors be a good sport

SP-diceman
Posts: 3968
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:17 am

Re: Baseball As A Professional Sport Is Fascinating

Post by SP-diceman » Thu May 20, 2010 2:34 am

Baseball Whiz wrote:The opportunity to put together winning teams and have a dynasty like the Yankees have done through the history of the sport is what makes it interesting and fascinating.

So many teams have the good fortune or is it by Chance and the alignment of the Moon and Stars of the Galaxy which might produce World Series winners only once each century.
Interesting and fascinating?

I thought it was: "money talks".

Dont winning teams "buy" their players?


Thanks
SP-diceman

Gigi
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:24 am

Post by Gigi » Thu May 20, 2010 9:59 am

Baseball Whiz wrote:
Gigi wrote:After watching the hockey game last night.... it made me realize how incredibly slow and boring baseball is.

Stop scratching yourself.
Stop kicking the dirt and DOOOOOO something!
Bottom of the ninth inning score all tied 2-2, it is the championship game for winning the pennant, runners are on first and third with two outs and the pitcher the weakest hitter on the team coming to the plate.

What strategy would you consider for the possible win in this situation?

Ya mean after they scratch, pick, kick and have 14 TV commercials? Who knows.. I'm asleep by then.

GammaPoint
Posts: 2608
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:25 am
Location: Washington

Post by GammaPoint » Thu May 20, 2010 10:36 am

Baseball Whiz wrote: Example--as an outfielder playing during a day game does it matter a tinkers dad-gum if the sun is bright and not a cloud in sight or would you as a fielder prefer some cloud cover? Clouds above help significantly for an outfielder to pick up the flight of the ball and give betters depth perception for seeing the ball.

Would a curve ball throwing specialist pitcher prefer a cool damp day or a hot dry day for his turn on the mound for the game?
No idea. But if you're saying that part of the fun of baseball is what the weather is doing, then you're not going to convince me :)

User avatar
Baseball Whiz
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Pelham, Alabama

Post by Baseball Whiz » Thu May 20, 2010 10:42 am

Gigi wrote:
Baseball Whiz wrote:
Gigi wrote:After watching the hockey game last night.... it made me realize how incredibly slow and boring baseball is.

Stop scratching yourself.
Stop kicking the dirt and DOOOOOO something!
Bottom of the ninth inning score all tied 2-2, it is the championship game for winning the pennant, runners are on first and third with two outs and the pitcher the weakest hitter on the team coming to the plate.

What strategy would you consider for the possible win in this situation?

Ya mean after they scratch, pick, kick and have 14 TV commercials? Who knows.. I'm asleep by then.
Time to come alive the scoreboard just flashed the win by the Red Sox over those dreaded Yankees as their multi-million dollar heavy hitter struck out bottom of the ninth when the bases were juiced.

Baseball like some investments pay handsomely while some falter in critical times.
In all endeavors be a good sport

JordanIB
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:25 pm

Post by JordanIB » Thu May 20, 2010 10:48 am

Can't run out the clock in baseball. That alone makes for more intriguing situations than any of the other major sports.

User avatar
HomerJ
Posts: 11713
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Post by HomerJ » Thu May 20, 2010 10:49 am

Gigi wrote:
Baseball Whiz wrote:
Gigi wrote:After watching the hockey game last night.... it made me realize how incredibly slow and boring baseball is.

Stop scratching yourself.
Stop kicking the dirt and DOOOOOO something!
Bottom of the ninth inning score all tied 2-2, it is the championship game for winning the pennant, runners are on first and third with two outs and the pitcher the weakest hitter on the team coming to the plate.

What strategy would you consider for the possible win in this situation?

Ya mean after they scratch, pick, kick and have 14 TV commercials? Who knows.. I'm asleep by then.
Heh, nice one Gigi... That's exactly the problem...

Baseball is so slow and so boring...

User avatar
Baseball Whiz
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Pelham, Alabama

Post by Baseball Whiz » Thu May 20, 2010 10:49 am

GammaPoint wrote:
Baseball Whiz wrote: Example--as an outfielder playing during a day game does it matter a tinkers dad-gum if the sun is bright and not a cloud in sight or would you as a fielder prefer some cloud cover? Clouds above help significantly for an outfielder to pick up the flight of the ball and give betters depth perception for seeing the ball.

Would a curve ball throwing specialist pitcher prefer a cool damp day or a hot dry day for his turn on the mound for the game?
No idea. But if you're saying that part of the fun of baseball is what the weather is doing, then you're not going to convince me :)
The anology and total picture points to the fact that baseball like really heads up investing requires the accumulation of much careful analysis of many factors. Baseball requires alert use of much knowledge to skillfully be the hero just like investors do not walk the high wire without carefully
noting there is no lightning is in the area.
In all endeavors be a good sport

four7s
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:37 am

Post by four7s » Thu May 20, 2010 10:51 am

Bring in a lefty pinch hitter. Tell him to drag a bunt (towards first, obviously) and run like hell. He'll have all winter to rest up.

Rod Carew was famous for successfully stealing home. As he got older he stopped doing this. When asked why he said that he always wanted to be 100% sure that the clean up hitter would see the sign for the steal. He said, " I don't want my tombstone to read, ' here lies Rod Carew, lined to left by Harmon Killebrew'.

GammaPoint
Posts: 2608
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:25 am
Location: Washington

Post by GammaPoint » Thu May 20, 2010 10:59 am

Baseball Whiz wrote:
The anology and total picture points to the fact that baseball like really heads up investing requires the accumulation of much careful analysis of many factors. Baseball requires alert use of much knowledge to skillfully be the hero just like investors do not walk the high wire without carefully
noting there is no lightning is in the area.
But information like dampness and cloud cover isn't a "strategy" that one can use in a game. You have to play no matter what the weather is. Sure, maybe throwing a ball in the rain is a bit more difficult than throwing one that's dry, but it doesn't seem that interesting, at least to me.

I'm happy you enjoy your baseball. I'm not saying we should ban it or anything, just that I don't find it very interesting :)

User avatar
Baseball Whiz
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Pelham, Alabama

Post by Baseball Whiz » Thu May 20, 2010 11:03 am

rrosenkoetter wrote:
Gigi wrote:
Baseball Whiz wrote:
Gigi wrote:After watching the hockey game last night.... it made me realize how incredibly slow and boring baseball is.

Stop scratching yourself.
Stop kicking the dirt and DOOOOOO something!
Bottom of the ninth inning score all tied 2-2, it is the championship game for winning the pennant, runners are on first and third with two outs and the pitcher the weakest hitter on the team coming to the plate.

What strategy would you consider for the possible win in this situation?

Ya mean after they scratch, pick, kick and have 14 TV commercials? Who knows.. I'm asleep by then.
Heh, nice one Gigi... That's exactly the problem...

Baseball is so slow and so boring...
Rightly so, somewhat like a $100.00 invested in an over the counter bulletin board stock that has had no trading volume in the past 3 months.

Place the same figure of $100.00 on a sleeper bulletin board stock that volume and value moves up and down daily and your attention span get a new appetite. Baseball games and investments are sort of like kinfolks some games will have you on the edge of the stadium seat cheering while others are ho-hum drags.

Your perspective can change based on the interest and level of ones understanding of how the action is being perceived.
In all endeavors be a good sport

User avatar
Random Musings
Posts: 5209
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Post by Random Musings » Thu May 20, 2010 11:04 am

Perhaps with all the variables (weather, time of day and so on), we should replace all coaches with the new HFC's (high frequency coaches).

RM

Gigi
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:24 am

Post by Gigi » Thu May 20, 2010 11:14 am

Baseball Whiz wrote:
rrosenkoetter wrote:
Gigi wrote:
Baseball Whiz wrote:
Gigi wrote:After watching the hockey game last night.... it made me realize how incredibly slow and boring baseball is.

Stop scratching yourself.
Stop kicking the dirt and DOOOOOO something!
Bottom of the ninth inning score all tied 2-2, it is the championship game for winning the pennant, runners are on first and third with two outs and the pitcher the weakest hitter on the team coming to the plate.

What strategy would you consider for the possible win in this situation?

Ya mean after they scratch, pick, kick and have 14 TV commercials? Who knows.. I'm asleep by then.
Heh, nice one Gigi... That's exactly the problem...

Baseball is so slow and so boring...
Rightly so, somewhat like a $100.00 invested in an over the counter bulletin board stock that has had no trading volume in the past 3 months.

Place the same figure of $100.00 on a sleeper bulletin board stock that volume and value moves up and down daily and your attention span get a new appetite. Baseball games and investments are sort of like kinfolks some games will have you on the edge of the stadium seat cheering while others are ho-hum drags.

Your perspective can change based on the interest and level of ones understanding of how the action is being perceived.

Oh yea... forgot to ask. How does the prima-donna factor effect this? You know.. When Sammy Sosa decides to leave the game early because the coach pulled him cuz he was hitting like crap.

It's a boring game. Sorry.

You like it. Good for you. But truly.. the scenario you talk about.. Maybe,, just maybe it happens one frickin time a year! So you say its an exciting game cuz of one "possible" scenario?

Please.

User avatar
Baseball Whiz
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Pelham, Alabama

Hockey game

Post by Baseball Whiz » Thu May 20, 2010 11:25 am

Did the good guys win?
In all endeavors be a good sport

Gigi
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:24 am

Post by Gigi » Thu May 20, 2010 11:40 am

I'll go to a game. But Wrigley is a wonderful party atmosphere. Do I follow the game? Naw... Have a beer in the bleachers. Visit with friends. Leave when you see the crowd leaving.

Then the next day, I look in the paper and see who won.

Harold
Posts: 3154
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: San Francisco

Post by Harold » Thu May 20, 2010 11:49 am

Criticism of baseball seems very similar to criticism of soccer.

The critics have no appreciation for the subtleties and nuance of the game, which is fine. But to extend that to categorical denigration of the game (as if those who do appreciate are somehow wrong) just makes the critic look silly.

User avatar
NYCPete
Posts: 711
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:24 pm
Location: New York, NY

Post by NYCPete » Thu May 20, 2010 11:49 am

I love baseball and here is something I wrote in a thread this last February on a thread about pitchers and catchers reporting:
NYCPete wrote:I understand how some might think the game moves too slow, but for me, it's the little things that keep me interested in baseball during the times when "nothing is happening." One thing I love about baseball that is much easier to see live than on TV is how groundball/pop fly pitchers change the way a team's outfield and infield position themselves versus a pitcher who tries to strike everyone out. This can also change based on whether the batter is a slugger, contact hitter, whether there are runners on base etc. In the playoffs, sometimes the commentators will make note of outfield shifts or the 3Bman shifting almost into the shortstop spot when there is a lefty who can't hit opposite field in the batter's box. I find it intriguing how a pitcher loses the change up as an option when there is a guy on first who is a really fast runner and steal threat.
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... c&start=50

I have a deep appreciation about how the game of baseball mirrors life, whether you've played the game or are a fan. One will never be able to achieve perfection and win all your games, and nobody in life is perfect. Failure is a part of life, as even the best hitters will fail over 60% of the time. Sometimes you get screwed on a call, because life isn't always fair. Sometimes the ones with more money are going to get ahead more than you, and will more often have things that you can't afford.

Best,
Peter
To the extent that a fool knows his foolishness, | He may be deemed wise | A fool who considers himself wise | Is indeed a fool. | | Buddha

Gigi
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:24 am

Post by Gigi » Thu May 20, 2010 11:54 am

Harold wrote:Criticism of baseball seems very similar to criticism of soccer.

The critics have no appreciation for the subtleties and nuance of the game, which is fine. But to extend that to categorical denigration of the game (as if those who do appreciate are somehow wrong) just makes the critic look silly.
Thanks for reminding me. Soccer is the one sport that makes baseball look exciting... :lol:

User avatar
NYCPete
Posts: 711
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:24 pm
Location: New York, NY

Post by NYCPete » Thu May 20, 2010 12:06 pm

Harold wrote:Criticism of baseball seems very similar to criticism of soccer.

The critics have no appreciation for the subtleties and nuance of the game, which is fine. But to extend that to categorical denigration of the game (as if those who do appreciate are somehow wrong) just makes the critic look silly.
It has never gone unnoticed to me that (at least on the Bogleheads Forum) one almost NEVER sees baseball fans go onto football, hockey, or basketball threads and complain about some aspect of those games, talking about how baseball is better. But once someone decides to start a thread talking about an ump's call in the playoffs, pitchers and catchers reporting, who will win the AL East, or simply just the love of the game, all of a sudden all sorts of people come out of the woodwork talking about how slow, boring, unexciting, flawed, steroid-ridden etc. the game of baseball is.

Why do these people feel so compelled to insert their opinion into a thread about a game they don't even like? Why would they even waste the time to click on the thread to read it? Are they itching for a fight? Are they wanting to feel superior to others and this is a way to do it? I don't know what the answer is, but it is incredibly odd to me.

Best,
Peter
To the extent that a fool knows his foolishness, | He may be deemed wise | A fool who considers himself wise | Is indeed a fool. | | Buddha

GammaPoint
Posts: 2608
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:25 am
Location: Washington

Post by GammaPoint » Thu May 20, 2010 12:06 pm

Gigi wrote:
Thanks for reminding me. Soccer is the one sport that makes baseball look exciting... :lol:
Wow, do you like any sports? Or do you just hate America in general? :wink:

GammaPoint
Posts: 2608
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:25 am
Location: Washington

Post by GammaPoint » Thu May 20, 2010 12:09 pm

NYCPete wrote:
Why do these people feel so compelled to insert their opinion into a thread about a game they don't even like? Why would they even waste the time to click on the thread to read it? Are they itching for a fight? Are they wanting to feel superior to others and this is a way to do it? I don't know what the answer is, but it is incredibly odd to me.
If this thread were called "Baseball thread" I would agree, but the thread title is about how baseball is fascinating, in general. Some don't agree, and so we post that.

I don't see how anyone can feel superior to another because someone finds something fascinating and someone else doesn't.

If I start a thread called "ETFs are amazing" there's a 100% chance that a fight will ensue. That's just the nature of the internets....

User avatar
HomerJ
Posts: 11713
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Post by HomerJ » Thu May 20, 2010 12:30 pm

GammaPoint wrote:
Gigi wrote:
Thanks for reminding me. Soccer is the one sport that makes baseball look exciting... :lol:
Wow, do you like any sports? Or do you just hate America in general? :wink:
Americans play soccer? j/k :)

User avatar
NYCPete
Posts: 711
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:24 pm
Location: New York, NY

Post by NYCPete » Thu May 20, 2010 1:30 pm

GammaPoint wrote:
NYCPete wrote:
Why do these people feel so compelled to insert their opinion into a thread about a game they don't even like? Why would they even waste the time to click on the thread to read it? Are they itching for a fight? Are they wanting to feel superior to others and this is a way to do it? I don't know what the answer is, but it is incredibly odd to me.
If this thread were called "Baseball thread" I would agree, but the thread title is about how baseball is fascinating, in general. Some don't agree, and so we post that.

I don't see how anyone can feel superior to another because someone finds something fascinating and someone else doesn't.

If I start a thread called "ETFs are amazing" there's a 100% chance that a fight will ensue. That's just the nature of the internets....
A fair point, but I still am mystified why it doesn't generally happen with the other sports related threads on this forum and does happen (quite often, actually) with baseball.

Best,
Peter
To the extent that a fool knows his foolishness, | He may be deemed wise | A fool who considers himself wise | Is indeed a fool. | | Buddha

Post Reply