Are you planning to Watch FIFA Worldcup 2010?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sb2010

Are you planning to Watch FIFA Worldcup 2010?

Post by sb2010 »

Kids want to watch it but we currently have comcast's "Limited Cable" option which doesn't have espn channels. Are there any options to watch the games online? If not I guess I have to upgrade to a more pricier option.

Any suggestions?
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

There are a few matches that are going to be on ABC.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/ ... 901?ver=us

The link also references ESPN360.com - might have a pay-per-view option for watching online? I can't access that site from work, so I can't tell what they're offering.
Sarah
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

> Are you planning to Watch FIFA Worldcup 2010?

Absolutely! I've been watching every world cup match (as far as possible) since 1982. There is no better sporting spectacle on Earth. No game is played with as much love and passion worldwide as world cup football matches.

Most memorable matches:
Paolo Rossi beats Socretes-Zicco's Brazil 3-2
Platini's France loses to Germany in the semis after going up 3-1 in extra time
Brazil vs France 1986 quarter final ending in penalty shootout
Maradona vs England 1986 (2-1) - goal of the century
Brazil vs Netherlands 1992 (3-2) - sublime Bergkamp equalizer before Branco's heartbreaker
New comers USA goes up 3-0 against Luis Figo's Portugal
Zidane's resurrection against Brazil in 2006 quarter finals until the header that almost went in minutes before the head butt in the final

Looking forward to some magic from Leo Messi this year.
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

Didn't even know about it. I don't watch any sports...it's all too commercial so I lost total interest in any sport.

Maybe I'll watch high school sports when my kids get older.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

nice run down Sunny.
Greatest spectacle on Earth, no doubt. Cant wait.

IMO, global events like this should always be on free to air channels for all to enjoy. Some things just should not be subject to capitalism.
xystici

Post by xystici »

Absolutely... I will be rooting for Spain and the USA team. It is always interesting to see the US team getting better and better every 4 years.

I have been coaching soccer to 4 and 5 year-old kids in Boston for a few years now. I hope one day in 10/15 years or so I will see one of my players in the US soccer team...
Marquintosh

Post by Marquintosh »

You can watch all games for free in HD in Univision.
ipabrewer

Post by ipabrewer »

Watching worldcup since 1978. Watched most of the games. I'll try to watch as many as possible, definitely a show I'm looking for.

It seems like some games are gonna be on espn360 (they are converting it to espn3 or something). You can access the games on that site if your internet provider is on their approved ISP list. The games can be watched for free, and as many times as you want.

I'll root for USA and Denmark.
rmiller07

Post by rmiller07 »

Please take a look at ATDHE.net
I survived two years of college without cable thanks to this site.
[Insert quote displaying allegiance to index funds]
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I just don't get "Soccer".

In (US) baseball, you begin with pitchers and catchers reporting for spring training in February and end (same year) with the World Series in November. Done

In NFL Football, you begin with mini-camps, then training camp in July/August, the season in Septembar and the Super Bowl the folowing January/February. Done.

In the NHL and NBA, you start with training camp/preseason in the fall, and end with the playoffs/championship in June. Done.

In World Cup Soccer, it never seems to end. These matches/games keep going on for years and years and years. Qualiying for something. Then -- months with no activity -- then qualifying for something else. Someone wins, and if it is a certain country, there are a lot of cars honking horns around my neighborhood for a few hours. THEN, in a month or two, the whole things starts up again, and goes on for years.

Then, there are national teams that play professioal teams in an exhibition right in the middle of the professional season. Why would they do that? Some players on professional teams just leave the pro team for a few months and play for a national team somewhere -- then come back. I don't get that either.

I don't get the "clock" either. You think a game is over because the clock goes to zero. BUT NO. There is some amount (who knows what this means) of extra time to play. That makes no sense either.

TJAJ9

Post by TJAJ9 »

I will definitely be watching it. I generally love most sports.
Topic Author
sb2010

Post by sb2010 »

Thanks for all the suggestions!
I have comcast internet so espn360 is an option.
I need to check if univison is available for me.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sunny Sarkar wrote:Zidane's resurrection against Brazil in 2006 quarter finals until the header that almost went in minutes before the head butt in the final
I watched that game. It was weeks before the controversy died - at least in the US...

I'll certainly be watching a few games. Philly has a pro soccer team now, but they're not very good. However, I do agree that soccer (football in the rest of the world) is a very interesting sport.

I can't figure out why (American) football got such a strangle-hold here instead of soccer. (Don't get me wrong - go Eagles!!)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TJAJ9

Post by TJAJ9 »

LadyGeek wrote:I can't figure out why (American) football got such a strangle-hold here instead of soccer. (Don't get me wrong - go Eagles!!)
Violence. Americans love it.
diasurfer

Post by diasurfer »

Rooting for USA. Haven't decided who I'll pick in the office pool.
Topic Author
sb2010

Post by sb2010 »

Sunny Sarkar wrote:> Are you planning to Watch FIFA Worldcup 2010?

Most memorable matches:
Brazil vs Netherlands 1992 (3-2) - sublime Bergkamp equalizer before Branco's heartbreaker
Zidane's resurrection against Brazil in 2006 quarter finals until the header that almost went in minutes before the head butt in the final

I used to watch them religiously when I was younger (till 1986) and then started watching again some games in 2006. So I have watched the first four and last one.
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

dm200 wrote:I just don't get "Soccer".

In (US) baseball, you begin with pitchers and catchers reporting for spring training in February and end (same year) with the World Series in November. Done

In NFL Football, you begin with mini-camps, then training camp in July/August, the season in Septembar and the Super Bowl the folowing January/February. Done.

In the NHL and NBA, you start with training camp/preseason in the fall, and end with the playoffs/championship in June. Done.

In World Cup Soccer, it never seems to end. These matches/games keep going on for years and years and years. Qualiying for something. Then -- months with no activity -- then qualifying for something else. Someone wins, and if it is a certain country, there are a lot of cars honking horns around my neighborhood for a few hours. THEN, in a month or two, the whole things starts up again, and goes on for years.

Then, there are national teams that play professioal teams in an exhibition right in the middle of the professional season. Why would they do that? Some players on professional teams just leave the pro team for a few months and play for a national team somewhere -- then come back. I don't get that either.

I don't get the "clock" either. You think a game is over because the clock goes to zero. BUT NO. There is some amount (who knows what this means) of extra time to play. That makes no sense either.

You won't get it until you notice that there is a real world outside the US, and that real world actually plays a real world cup, unlike say the "world" series :)

When Ivory Coast qualified to play in the last soccer world cup, the whole country was so happy that their civil war ended - true story, I'm not making this up! Such is the level of passion by which the sport is played/followed.

Since so many countries are involved, the qualifiers for the world cup are long - hence the long "clock". It's a 4 year cycle (2002, 2006, 2010, ...)

Besides that, there are the continent cups, i.e. European cup, African cup, and South American cups. Also a 4 year cycle with a 2 year offset from the world cup (2004, 2008, 2012, ...)

The best players from all over mostly play in the top club teams in one of the top European leagues (Spanish, Italian, English, and also German & French). The winners from each of those leagues play an European club championship (UEFA cup). This happens every year.

The world cup is the showcase for the professional players - that's where they make their name in order to get into and earn top dollar from the European clubs.
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

sb2010 wrote:

Most memorable matches:

I used to watch them religiously when I was younger (till 1986) and then started watching again some games in 2006. So I have watched the first four and last one.
You haven't missed much. In my book, 1986 was the last great world cup - there hasn't been any legendary performances since Maradona's magical play in that world cup. Zidane's 2006 campaign would've been legendary if that header had gone in - instead it turned into a shameful controversy.
Babakhani

Post by Babakhani »

Sunny Sarkar wrote: Platini's France loses to Germany in the semis after going up 3-1 in extra time
what a great game! 2nd best game I've seen. Germany coming back against Argentina down 2-0 in the last 5 minutes only too lose in OT in 1986 is still the best.
Sunny Sarkar wrote:Brazil vs France 1986 quarter final ending in penalty shootout
the ball actually hit the post, ricocheted off the back of the goalie's head and went into the goal. That's how France won.
Sunny Sarkar wrote:Maradona vs England 1986 (2-1) - goal of the century
1986 is still the best WC ever. Maradonna just carved his name in lore in a month.
Sunny Sarkar wrote:Brazil vs Netherlands 1992 (3-2) - sublime Bergkamp equalizer before Branco's heartbreaker
This was 1994.
What is light without dark?
Babakhani

Post by Babakhani »

TJAJ9 wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:I can't figure out why (American) football got such a strangle-hold here instead of soccer. (Don't get me wrong - go Eagles!!)
I think just has never caught on. Part of the problem is that TV's haven't figured out a way to make money on it without commercials and timeouts.
Babakhani

Post by Babakhani »

Sunny Sarkar wrote:
sb2010 wrote:

Most memorable matches:

You haven't missed much. In my book, 1986 was the last great world cup - there hasn't been any legendary performances since Maradona's magical play in that world cup. Zidane's 2006 campaign would've been legendary if that header had gone in - instead it turned into a shameful controversy.
Come On! Nice WC in Italy 1990. US to quarterfinals in 94. Emergence of Zidane in 1998. I don't remember 02. Reemergence of Zidane, Italy, and Germany in 06. Something tells me the 10 will be awesome.

For the first time there is buzz in US regarding the US and the WC in a WC that is not in the US. Espn is hyping it up. The whole African continent is excited about the first WC in Africa. Argentina and Brazil are great. England can again be mentioned as one of the favorites. Spain is not the perennial underachiever anymore. Italy and Germany and Netherlands are still good. France is in because of a controversial non call.

Can't wait. It will be awesome.
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

Babakhani wrote:Come On! Nice WC in Italy 1990. US to quarterfinals in 94. Emergence of Zidane in 1998. I don't remember 02. Reemergence of Zidane, Italy, and Germany in 06. Something tells me the 10 will be awesome.
Italy 1990 - the worst final match ever. Maradona's moment of brilliance against Brazil is about the only thing to remember. [Updated: and Roberto Baggio's goal against Czechs]

1994 - US in quater final, especially the 3-1 win versus the red hot Portugal team, very good for a US soccer fan; but nothing worth world cup lore. [Update: and Brazil vs Netherlands quarter-fianls 3-2 of course]

1998 - Zidane's world cup, but Ronaldo's (and Brazil's) mysterious fizzling out in the final spoiled the cup. It's almost like France got the cup because the Brazil team didn't show up.

2002 - who even remembers?

2006 - almost legendary resurrection of Zidane, but gee what a spoiler in the end! The only thing worth remembering from the world cup was Argentina's 24 pass goal against Serbia scored by Cambiasso after a sublime back heel (the 24th pass) from Crespo.
Last edited by Sunny Sarkar on Fri May 14, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
traumamoma

word cup

Post by traumamoma »

If I were a betting man I would go with Brazil or Netherlands, but I think Spain is the team to beat. Enjoy, Peter
Sunny Sarkar

Re: word cup

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

traumamoma wrote:If I were a betting man I would go with Brazil or Netherlands, but I think Spain is the team to beat. Enjoy, Peter
Spain & Netherlands are jinxed in the world cup.
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

I am not a sports fan. Under any stretch of the imagination. Normally, I will do anything at all other than watch sport. Any sport. Bleh. But come the world cup, I will happily get up and out of bed at 2am to sit in front of a football match on Univision (and I don't speak Spanish). It's just...well, national pride is involved. This is WAY bigger than the Olympics. And, oh, the drama. When it comes down to penalty shoot-outs, your heart is in your mouth, and then when one of the players misses, it is just torture. The agony of defeat, the joy of victory. This is regular league sport magnified so many times it just doesn't compare.

Try it, you might get into it. Pick a small underdog African country to follow (in addition to US of course), and check out the joy on their fans' faces just to be there in that first match.

Personally, I'm still smarting from Maradona's "hand of god" goal in 1986. Can't quite seem to get over it...
Sarah
Babakhani

Post by Babakhani »

Sunny Sarkar wrote: 2006 - almost legendary resurrection of Zidane, but gee what a spoiler in the end! The only thing worth remembering from the world cup was Argentina's 24 pass goal against Serbia scored by Cambiasso after a sublime back heel (the 24th pass) from Crespo.
don't forget the Maxi Rogdriguez goal against Mexico.
Babakhani

Post by Babakhani »

englishgirl wrote: When it comes down to penalty shoot-outs, your heart is in your mouth, and then when one of the players misses, it is just torture.
I think Baggio would agree with you
Toons

Post by Toons »

No :D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

I'll watch live or DVR most of the games. I was a youth soccer coach and referee for 25 years.

It's hard for most American's to understand the passion the World Cup brings to the rest of the world. It's like a month-long Super Bowl and extended Papal visit happening at the same time.
SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan »

It's not very difficult to "get" if you understand the system. First, there are two concurrent systems, the club system and the national team system.

Clubs play in leagues that run just like those in the U.S. do. In most countries, the season starts around August and ends around May. There is a champion crowned at the end of every season. Most games are played on the weekend.

Each country also has a knockout-style cup tournament that is open to just about every pro team (for example, in England, the FA Cup is open to team in the top 8 divisions, although the higher division teams receive byes to the later rounds). The cup gives nearly every team in the country the chance to compete against even the biggest heavyweights. Games are usually mid-week.

Because soccer is such an international sport (and no country is pompous enough to dare call its winning team a world champion unless, you know, it actually wins a tournament that includes teams from all over the world), continents also host tournaments that consist of the best teams from each country during the previous league season. The best known is the UEFA Champions league that pits Europe's best teams against each other. The Champions League starts and ends about the same time as the league season. Games are played mid-week.

The winners of each continent's club championships then meet in the Club World Cup to determine the best club team in the world. This tournament is relatively new (not counting the Europe vs. South America club showdown that was its predecessor) and not taken as seriously as the continental championships, but hopefully that will change. At the moment, the champions of Europe are usually considered the best team in the world, but some South American teams can also compete on their level.

It is easy to see the progressive nature of the club system once it's laid out.

The national team system is completely separate. It does not go on continually. Usually, there is about a year and a half break after each World Cup, and then a two-year qualification round begins. It takes two years because they must whittle the number of teams down from approximately 200 to 32. During qualifying rounds, every month or two time is set aside by every major pro league in the world for World Cup qualifying games. Thus, team members need not necessarily miss any club games. The World Cup itself is held after the end of the season for most pro leagues, so club teams do not lose their players "for a few months."

The U.S. pro soccer league (MLS) is different than the vast majority of world pro leagues because it plays its season from March to November. Thus, the World Cup does conflict with the MLS season, but this is a problem unique to the U.S. and not to soccer itself.

As for the clock in soccer, it never goes to zero. In soccer, the clock counts upward instead of down. To deal with the problem of not knowing exactly how much time is left, soccer initiated a reform several years ago in pro leagues and national team matches whereby the official gives an estimate of how much time is to be added. Thus, the players and crowd usually know when the game will end within a window of a minute or so. A running clock makes perfect sense within the context of soccer because it assists in keeping the continuity and free-flowing nature of the game alive.

And, if anybody is still reading this manifesto, Go USA!

SAM
ipabrewer

Post by ipabrewer »

Sunny Sarkar wrote:

2002 is the WC where USA played the best.

Portugal - USA 2-3
Mexico - USA 0-2
Germany - USA 1-0 in the quarterfinals(?), an undeserved loss actually, with USA matching Germany's game.

So, if you are a USA fan, you got to like 2002 WC, even if that was not the most spectacular one overall. I really enjoyed it.
Babakhani

Post by Babakhani »

ipabrewer wrote:
Sunny Sarkar wrote:

2002 is the WC where USA played the best.

Portugal - USA 2-3
Mexico - USA 0-2
Germany - USA 1-0 in the quarterfinals(?), an undeserved loss actually, with USA matching Germany's game.

So, if you are a USA fan, you got to like 2002 WC, even if that was not the most spectacular one overall. I really enjoyed it.
I thought that was 94 but after checking you are correct. Technically, the USA finished 3rd according to what I am seeing in 1930. Not sure if it counts.
ipabrewer

Post by ipabrewer »

I dont remember the one from 1930...
Babakhani

Post by Babakhani »

ipabrewer wrote:I dont remember the one from 1930...
I apologize. My source was wrong. Uruguay won it in 1930.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1930_FIFA_World_Cup#Final
GG

Post by GG »

The US GER game a few years ago was so much fun - to cheer against the default team I would cheer for.

For Zidane in the last cup - he proved he was the dirty SOB the rest of the world already knew he was. An office worker I saw said to me, "hey cool if FRA won one for Zidane, eh"? And i said he's a dirty SOB and I hope they get crushed. She was like - what?! A few days later the colors showed. Anyone whos seen more than a couple caps knew who he was.

My other fav is seeing beckam cry his way out. Loser.

Viva Italia.

And if you don't get the cup you are whats wrong with America in the first place.
SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan »

GG wrote:The US GER game a few years ago was so much fun - to cheer against the default team I would cheer for.

For Zidane in the last cup - he proved he was the dirty SOB the rest of the world already knew he was. An office worker I saw said to me, "hey cool if FRA won one for Zidane, eh"? And i said he's a dirty SOB and I hope they get crushed. She was like - what?! A few days later the colors showed. Anyone whos seen more than a couple caps knew who he was.

My other fav is seeing beckam cry his way out. Loser.

Viva Italia.

And if you don't get the cup you are whats wrong with America in the first place.
Ha! Among almost all unbiased observers I've talked to, Mazzerati came off just as badly as Zidane did in that episode. Indeed, while Zidane may have been tempestuous, I would say Matterazi was the dirtier player of the two. (The idea of an Italian supporter calling other teams' players dirty is good for a laugh, though. It's like Argentina complaining if they were knocked out of the WC by an obvious handball!)

Plus, despite his Hollywood image, Beckham is widely considered to be a pro's pro. He practices hard and plays hard. Even his "Zidane moment" in the '98 WC, as bad as it was, was admitted by Simeone to be mostly an acting job on the Argentine's part. Any neutral soccer fan should admire the way he plays: hard work with a touch of style.

SAM
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

englishgirl wrote:There are a few matches that are going to be on ABC.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/ ... 901?ver=us

The link also references ESPN360.com - might have a pay-per-view option for watching online? I can't access that site from work, so I can't tell what they're offering.
ESPN360 is now ESPN3. ESPN3 is an internet service that you can receive if your internet service provider is a member. There is no-fee other than your regular monthly fee to your ISP.

In my case, I had Verizon DSL and was able to watch games on ESPN360. I then moved, and my new provider was not a member and I could no longer watch. By accident, I discovered a few months ago that my provider had joined up, so now I can watch games on ESPN3.

To find out if you can watch ESPN3, go to
http://espn.go.com/espn3/index
and click on a sports event being shown, either live or in replay.
exigent

Post by exigent »

Heck yeah, we love soccer!
MekongTrader

Post by MekongTrader »

The time difference makes it hard following the games. So, I'll have a few late nights this June and July.

My first world cup watched was 1982 Spain. We lost the final to Italy. The semis we played France. One of the best games ever. We beat them 8:7 on penalties

1986 - we lost to Argentina. Again in the final. Maradonna

1990 - We won! And this time we played attractive football as well. Klinsmann, Voeller, Matthaeus, Brehme, etc. And of course The Kaiser!

1994 in US - Disaster. Crashed out playing Bulgaria if I recall correctly

1998 - in France. Can't recall

2002 - Lost to Brazil in the final

2006 - 3rd place

This year if all works out we could play England after the group stage. Nice penalty shoot out...

I am very fortunate: In my lifetime I saw my team win 1 world cup and 1 Euro. I love telling my English friends about that. They then counter that they have (only) one world cup but won two world wars... :roll:

MT
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

Argentina's 25 pass goal...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bmK-XhIIMA

Robert Baggio's goal against Czechoslovakia...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT1RE8Ez ... WmC37BQGZ8

The best goal ever...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z-qm-Sb_4s

What may be in store for this world cup...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5orXdWw ... nqLLZ2bzS8
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

sscritic wrote:To find out if you can watch ESPN3, go to
Thanks! The link works for Verizon FiOS in the Philly area.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
sherwink

Post by sherwink »

No.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

LadyGeek wrote:
sscritic wrote:To find out if you can watch ESPN3, go to
Thanks! The link works for Verizon FiOS in the Philly area.
You are welcome. As I mentioned, I was eligible when I had Verizon DSL, so I expect anyone with Verizon as the ISP should be good to go.

P.S. Are you watching the boxing or the college baseball? :)
I am watching this afternoon's races from Belmont on replay.
sherwink

Watch World Cup

Post by sherwink »

No.
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

TJAJ9 wrote:
Yes, soccer is such a peaceful pasttime.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer ... asters_ap/

A stampede at a packed soccer match between two of Ghana's leading teams killed at least 100 people Wednesday night, hospital officials said. Accra's Hearts of Oak was leading Assante Kotoko 2-1 with five minutes left in the game when Assante supporters began throwing bottles and chairs onto the field, witnesses said. Police then fired tear gas, creating panic in the stands.

Lima, Peru; 318 people are killed and another 500 injured in riots at National Stadium after Argentina beats Peru in an Olympic qualifying match. The pandemonium breaks out when the referee disallows a Peruvian goal in the final two minutes.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
ipabrewer

Post by ipabrewer »

Sidney wrote:
TJAJ9 wrote:

A stampede at a packed soccer match between two of Ghana's leading teams killed at least 100 people Wednesday night, hospital officials said. Accra's Hearts of Oak was leading Assante Kotoko 2-1 with five minutes left in the game when Assante supporters began throwing bottles and chairs onto the field, witnesses said. Police then fired tear gas, creating panic in the stands.

Lima, Peru; 318 people are killed and another 500 injured in riots at National Stadium after Argentina beats Peru in an Olympic qualifying match. The pandemonium breaks out when the referee disallows a Peruvian goal in the final two minutes.
Just avoid attending a game outside the USA and you should be OK.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Best thread ever!

I just downloaded the schedule last night. I plan recording every game. We've got a trip planned to CO this summer...I'm already scouting out places to pull over to watch the final (bad timing, I know). My gf played soccer in college....I think she's even more excited than I am.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

I didn't know all 20 soccer fans in the US were on this board :D
TJAJ9

Post by TJAJ9 »

Sidney wrote:
TJAJ9 wrote:

I was referring to in-game play. Riots and stampedes are not actually in the game of soccer. :wink:

Football is full of violent hits and tackles. Soccer is also physical but not anywhere near the level of football (on a consistent basis).
ViverDeRenda

Post by ViverDeRenda »

Of course I will, but then I'm from Brazil.

We are really excited this world cup, despite having a crappy coach (Dunga, who played WC1994). Everyone is starting to get crazy and buying high-end tvs just to watch the games. There is a lot of bad memories from the last world cup (that game against France was a disaster) so there is a lot of pressure this time.

Anyone who wants to see the best team who ever played in a world cup, check Brazil's 1970 team with Pele, Rivelino, etc. on youtube.