Historic flooding in Nashville

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
topper1296

Historic flooding in Nashville

Post by topper1296 »

I live in Nashville and I just want to spread the word about how bad things are here. We had a "500 year" flood and it has been lost in the news with the oil leak in the gulf and Times Square. All I'm asking is that you keep you in your thoughts and prayers. Below is the site to our flagship newspaper that has a lot of coverage about it. Thanks.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage
runthetrails

Post by runthetrails »

Big Picture has excellent photographs of the flooding.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/0 ... essee.html
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

I live within a 4 hr. drive of Music City and I haven't heard a thing about it. I fear that Tennesse's political leanings are not helping their plight. Just my gut instinct....I just find it odd that no one's heard of this catastrophe after the onslaught of coverage of Rhode Island and Haiti.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Almost 14 inches of rain in two days. I heard these were 1000 year flood numbers.

Can't believe Opryland Hotel was under water. We visited a couple of years ago - I showed my kids the flood pictures and they were shocked.

Hang in there, Nashville and NW Tennessee/SW Kentucky.

Best regards,
Ken
exigent

Post by exigent »

I've actually seen a good bit of press coverage, but we live in the southeast. However, we used to live in Nashville (and our old neighborhood in Bellevue got flooded) so I've probably been more in tune to it than the avg person.

There is a good post at nashvillest dot com on how to help with the recovery efforts. I can't post the link yet (new account), but maybe someone can help out. It was published on May 3rd and is called "So Nashville is Flooded, How Can I Help?"
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

kenschmidt wrote:Can't believe Opryland Hotel was under water. We visited a couple of years ago - I showed my kids the flood pictures and they were shocked.
I stayed at the Opryland Hotel in February this year. It was beautiful and pleasant. On the day of arrival I could not find my way, and a hotel worker walked me all the way to my room. Those who stayed in Opryland should appreciate that I am generally not map-challenged (I use maps all the time), and that the hotel employee had quite a long walk out of his way. And by the way, he was a maintenance (not service) employee.

The flight back to Washington was a challenge though, because we had looming snow storms. At one point, I thought I would not mind to be stuck in Opryland if I could not get back home.

I hope the hotel and the city recover soon,

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler »

kenschmidt wrote:I heard these were 1000 year flood numbers.
Heard the same thing... or stated another way it is a 0.1% annual chance flood. The amazing thing to me is that none of the dams on the Cumberland River (to my knowledge) were destroyed.
Fbone

Post by Fbone »

I also stayed at the Opryland Hotel a few years ago and rode the General Jackson steamboat and visited Opry Mills Mall. Very enjoyable visit. The "French Quarter" was beautiful and spent a few late evenings on the rotating bar.

The pictures of the area are shocking. Wish all those affected my sympathies.
Stonebr

Post by Stonebr »

it has been lost in the news with the oil leak in the gulf and Times Square.
Not to mention rioting in Greece and an election in U.K. However, I've been watching the scenes in Nashville from relatively dry Boston. It's really incredible to see water that deep and affecting such a large area of a big city. And right in the city, too. I try to imagine what it would be like to have water that deep on Boylston Street in Boston or Fifth Avenue in New York.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Stonebr wrote:
it has been lost in the news with the oil leak in the gulf and Times Square.
Not to mention rioting in Greece and an election in U.K. However, I've been watching the scenes in Nashville from relatively dry Boston. It's really incredible to see water that deep and affecting such a large area of a big city. And right in the city, too. I try to imagine what it would be like to have water that deep on Boylston Street in Boston or Fifth Avenue in New York.
As far as natural calamities go, water seems to cause the greatest damage.

Victoria

P.S. Add to the list of last week's calamities significant market declines and the volcano in Iceland acting up again.
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
perries

Post by perries »

It's really devastating. topper1296 or others - do you have any suggestions on how we can most effectively help?
exigent

Post by exigent »

Okay, nobody took me up on my request to post this link, but now I can do it myself. :)

Here's a rundown of ways you can help complete with links where appropriate:

http://nashvillest.com/2010/05/03/so-na ... an-i-help/
wander

Post by wander »

I do not care much about history, but I know that you should be careful to buy old cars from flooded areas.