What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Petrocelli

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by Petrocelli »

CFM300 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:44 pm
Petrocelli wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:58 pm The Clash at the Palladium. It was their first concert in NYC after releasing London Calling. I sat in the first row of the balcony.
"The concert was like being run over by a truck." :D

viewtopic.php?p=725236#p725236
I guess my answer was the same in 2010 as it was in 2020.

How in God's name do you keep track of this stuff?
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

Petrocelli wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:01 pm How in God's name do you keep track of this stuff?
I didn't read or participate in the original thread back in 2010, so when it reemerged, I started on page 1. Your post was in the first dozen.
rj342

Post by rj342 »

I have not been to many big name concerts, and now the big acts tend to only play fewer dates in a few big cities not near me.

A few standouts for outstanding live musicianship and singing, plus high energy:
-- Billy Idol, Rebel Yell tour in the US in 1983 or 84
-- Tears for Fears, The Seeds of Love in 1989 or 90
-- Robert Cray maybe 2010
-- Elton John in 2016, with most of his original band form the early 70s. AMAZING -- the few places where he had to back off on the voice much he clearly had alternate notes carefully selected -- didn't feel like him just fudging on the fly.

Smaller acts more recently the blew it out a year or so ago: The Recording Company, also Trombone Shorty
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

The Eagles during their History of the Eagles tour a couple of years ago were amazing. We saw them about 6 months before Glenn Frey died. The concert was 3.5 hours long and they sounded exactly like they did in the 70s.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Ramjet wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:04 pm Anyone see the Rolling Stones in the last few years, if so how was it?

They are coming to my hometown Cleveland, but I fear I'm too late

I mean, how is Keith Richards still alive anyways
Saw them last June in the only shows they didn't have to reschedule at Soldier Field in Chicago. Even though Mic had 3 cardiologists off stage :D , it was nothing but a tight day at the office...arguably the best of the 5 different era's I have seen them in. You are only "too late" if the Grim Reeper shows up before then!
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

minesweep wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:19 am
minesweep wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:24 pm
You Know What I Mean wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:39 pm
minesweep wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:55 pm I’ve never paid for a concert performance. But some of the free acts (yes free) I’ve seen were:

1985 – Blood Sweat & Tears, The Association
1987 – Ray Charles, The Spinners
1988 – The Mamas and the Papas, The Marvelettes
1989 – Johnny Rivers
1990 – Three Dog Night, The Temptations. Peter Noone (Herman’s Hermits)
1991 – The 5th Dimension
1992 – Trisha Yearwood, Neil Sedaka, Mary Wilson
1993- 1964 the Tribute (my favorite Beatles tribute band)
1994 – The Lettermen
1995 – The Everly Brothers, Three Dog Night, Roberta Flack
1996 - Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons
1997 – Tom Jones, Patti LeBelle, Little Richard, KC ad the Sunshine Band
1998 – The Village People, Wayne Newton, Dixie Chicks
1999 – Tony Bennett, Kenny Rodgers

All of these acts were at the Bethlehem (PA) Musikfest. It began back in 1984 and last year it was polled (by USA Today) as the best festival in the nation. The attendance for the 10 day event has grown from about 180,000 (in 1984) to nearly a million today. There are 16 stages and over 500 performances. Only one or two of them (each day) has a paid admission. I’ve been to every one of the festivals (on multiple days) since 1984. They couldn’t do it without the 1,700 volunteers.

Musikfest

Musikfest Voted ‘Best Festival in North America’ in USA Today Reader’s Poll
Love "1964 The Tribute," every song, every time. Seen them over 50 times.
There's another tribute group that is probably equal to them (Strawberry Fields ). They have been coming here every year for the past several years on 'British Invasion Day'.
I just noticed that there are video clips:
Video Gallery 1
Video Gallery 2
Video Gallery 3
Thanks! I will check them out.

You've probably seen this one, with "George" [Tom Work] "... playing 147 guitar parts, all at the same time, with his clothes on frontwards" in "And Your Bird Can Sing":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSR3iEiBeKI
BGeste

Post by BGeste »

mrb09 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:42 am Concerts that stuck with me:

1. Jerry Garcia/Bonnie Raitt 1987, Berkley Greek, they played together on Jerry's set.

2. David Lindly, Santa Cruz, early 90's. Power went out, so they put candles up on stage and he did an acoustic version of "tiki torches at twilight".

3. Richie Blackmore, late 70's San Bernardino Swing Auditorium. Blackmore had just left Deep Purple and started Rainbow and wasn't used to small venues again. Brought loads of equipment, cranked it up to 10 and smashed a Stratocastor a few feet in front in front of me. Probably why I have hearing aids now :)
RItchie Blackmore is a guitar genius. In the late 1970s he had Ronnie James Dio on vocals. Quite possibly the finest music and concerts I have witnessed.
basspond

Post by basspond »

Survivor and Bryan Adams at the now non-existent Southern Star Amphitheater at Astroworld in May 1985. The price was right (free with admission) , the show was great but what was very spectacular was the lightning show that put to shame the fireworks display.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

Can't pick just one: Summerfest in Milwaukee, any year. World's largest music festival, every single summer.
crswvc

Re: Too Much Savings Regret

Post by crswvc »

I had a good time last year (2019) at a chainsmokers concert.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Josh Groban during his Closer tour in about 2004. An amazing performance, one for the ages.
A fool and his money are good for business.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

ScooterBob wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:30 pm Toto a couple years ago. Outstanding musicians. Most underrated band of all time. Look up the history of the individual players on almost EVERYTHING you heard in the late 70's, 80's, etc. Some of the best studio musicians ever. Should be in the rock and roll hall of fame....

Bob
They may not be in the hall of fame, but they do have a continent named after their hit song. :happy
CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds »

whodidntante wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:36 pm
ScooterBob wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:30 pm Toto a couple years ago. Outstanding musicians. Most underrated band of all time. Look up the history of the individual players on almost EVERYTHING you heard in the late 70's, 80's, etc. Some of the best studio musicians ever. Should be in the rock and roll hall of fame....

Bob
They may not be in the hall of fame, but they do have a continent named after their hit song. :happy
And a cute little dog in Kansas named after themselves!
TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome »

Muddy Waters at a small club sometime between 1978 and 1981.
DakotaDoc

Post by DakotaDoc »

Propagandhi - Boston 2018. So sweaty. Just the best. :sharebeer
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

There is nothing like seeing your favorite band performing at full scream. Through mostly luck, I've managed to have substantial interactions with a few headlining musicians in my life and I've never paid for the privilege, no backstage passes or whatnot.

Foo Fighters are good live. Ben Folds too, with some slow parts.
raidman

Post by raidman »

1) Rage Against the Machine, Coachella 2006
2) Rage Against the Machine, Alpine Valley 2007
3) all others...

Both RATM shows nearly devolved into anarchy for different reasons (adding to the legend of it all). The music itself is just solid instrument-driven rock. Awesome riffs - Tom Morello just crushes it live. No gimmicks. They're touring again this year. Did I mention its an election year? Joking aside, the political stuff is pretty childish, but ya just gotta go with it. :D :D
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

I can't choose a single best, but these were all contenders:

Tom Waits
Richard Thompson
Leonard Cohen
Johnny Cash
John Hiatt
smectym

Post by smectym »

multiham wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:14 pm Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - 2006 in his hometown of Gainesville Fl. Awesome concert which only got better when Stevie Nicks joined them on stage

Bruce Springsteen - Numerous times in Asbury Park NJ

Bon Jovi - Starland Ballroom in Sayreville NJ

The Clash (Opening for The Who) - 1982 JFK Stadium in Philly (Great Concert, but JFK Stadium was a dump!)
Well, I saw the Clash at the Paramount in NYC—I think that was the venue, at any rate a shot from that performance was on the cover of the London Calling LP. A highlight of the show was Simenon’s deadpan delivery on “Guns of Bristol”
smectym

Post by smectym »

Correction: saw Clash in NYC 1979 at Palladium, not Paramount
smectym

Post by smectym »

Petrocelli wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:01 pm
CFM300 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:44 pm
Petrocelli wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:58 pm The Clash at the Palladium. It was their first concert in NYC after releasing London Calling. I sat in the first row of the balcony.
"The concert was like being run over by a truck." :D

viewtopic.php?p=725236#p725236
I guess my answer was the same in 2010 as it was in 2020.

How in God's name do you keep track of this stuff?
Petrocelli, interesting you say that, since it’s my recollection I saw Clash at Palladium shortly BEFORE they released London Calling. Both may be true I suppose.
smectym

Post by smectym »

And, er, “Guns of Brixton” not Bristol, but for that flub I plead autocorrect
smectym

Post by smectym »

And here’s a pretty good bootleg of “Guns of Brixton” from that 1979 NYC Palladium show, if that’s allowed on this forum, and if not, apologies in advance and I won’t ever do it again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7-WutkQmKBg
PVW

Post by PVW »

TheNightsToCome wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:48 pm Muddy Waters at a small club sometime between 1978 and 1981.
If I were judging this contest, you'd win. I would have loved to see Muddy Waters in his element. Without Muddy, who knows what modern music would be.
Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Best that I've seen on DVD would probably be Crossroads Guitar Festival 2004. Eric Clapton and the who's who of guitar playing, across all genres.

In person would be more difficult. How's this for a range, either Harry Chapin live at Massey Hall in Toronto or Genesis live at Maple Leaf Gardens. If memory serves, I saw both more than once. More recently the Rock, Paper, Scissors tour with Peter Gabriel and Sting at the Calgary Saddledome was amazing.

My brother-in-law and I have started to contemplate the bucket list of artists and venues that we'd like to see. Eric Clapton at Royal Albert Hall would be near the top of my list.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
nonfacebookuser365

Post by nonfacebookuser365 »

Kid Rock and Hank Williams Jr

Post by 1789 »

Metallica at 2008 - World Magnetic Tour :happy
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
keithintx

Post by keithintx »

Some great shows I have seen -
Guns n' Roses / Metallica - Back in the day Guns n' Roses put on one heck of a show
Rage Against the Machine / Wu Tang - I saw the Phiily and then Pittsburgh shows. Wu Tang was better in Pittsburgh since they all showed up and Rage was great at both shows
Phish in Columbus Ohio - good concert made great when a summer thunderstorm began rolling in, you could see the thunder storm and lightening in the distance and Phish changed the playlist to take advantage of the free light show.
Jimmy Buffet in Cincy at the old Reds stadium - good show, great time. The people watching was crazy.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Early 70's?
Tower of Power
Chicago

Smaller version of a "Woodstock" like festival with great bands.
But. . . I don't remember much. . . . :shock:

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Wow - this discussion goes back a long time!

Maybe not "the best", but the most memorable -

In about the winter/spring of 1966 - when I was in college in NY State, another guy and I went to Toronto for a weekend to see some hockey games. While there, we somehow stumbled onto a performance by Simon and Garfunkel (before they were famous). As I recall, it was just the two of them - no backup band, etc. Very shortly after this, they became much more popular - with the release of "The Graduate".

Maybe someone might know the theater there in Toronto, but I recall that it was older and had multiple balconies - and many wooden stairs, etc.

I don't know any current details, but my wife just told me that Art Garfunkel is performing somewhere locally.

Maybe I am just an "Old Fart" - but I do not like the current VERY LOUD concerts!!

On the original Woodstock, in 1969 I lived very close to the concert site - but did not attend. I sometimes wonder if any aspects of my life might have been different if I had been there?
Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

dm200 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:03 am Maybe someone might know the theater there in Toronto, but I recall that it was older and had multiple balconies - and many wooden stairs, etc.
Sounds (pun intended) like Massey Hall. Great venue with amazing acoustics.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:28 am
dm200 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:03 am Maybe someone might know the theater there in Toronto, but I recall that it was older and had multiple balconies - and many wooden stairs, etc.
Sounds (pun intended) like Massey Hall. Great venue with amazing acoustics.
Interesting! Thanks.

I am not sure - and cannot tell or recall all the details. From the referenced article/photo - It seems to me that the concert hall was a little smaller - and seemed to have had more obvious wooden aspects.
5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension »

In no particular order:

Public Image Limited, the band John Lydon formed after the Sex Pistols. Opening act was Faith No More. It was in a small theater. Both bands were great and John Lydon was a great showman.

Devo twice, both shows were great.

The Psychedelic Furs. I wasn't even a big fan of the band, I was given the tickets from someone who won them and had never heard of them. I was a fan after the concert though!
Pick up a penny and soon you'll have many.
batpot

Post by batpot »

dm200 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:03 am Wow - this discussion goes back a long time!
Really illustrates the age distribution of the forum members.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Ms.G and I were at the Club Med in St George Bermuda. in the 80's we met a nice young couple from England, John Lydon was his name. We had no clue who he was even though we had dinner and drinks with them a couple of times. The younger CM'ers seem to know who he was, but we never inquired, because we were having fun with them. It wasn't until we got back to the states and I asked a 20 something friend. That is as close as I ever came to punk. I should have known something was up because John had orange hair.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Bette Midler in her Valentines Day concert in Buffalo in 1976.....way back then, she wasn't as well known.
https://bootlegbetty.com/2015/11/19/bet ... -new-york/
MP173

Post by MP173 »

October, 1977 - Neil Young and Crazy Horse @ Chicago Stadium. Went in expecting a nice accoustic mellow concert. It was for about 45 minutes as Neil performed a number of huge accoustic hits. Then Crazy Horse came out and my ears rang for 3 days. Rust was not sleeping that night.

February 2001 - Don Henley in Merrillville, In. He and the band hit all the right notes.

Sept 13, 2002 - Rolling Stones @ Comiskey Park, Chicago. Opening act was The Pretenders (who were great). Stones were amazing. My diary indicates the "highlights were "Like a Rolling Stone, Street Fighting Man, and Brown Sugar."

Steely Dan - multiple times during 2000s, particularly whenever "Dont Take Me Alive" was played.

Biggest regret - not pulling the trigger on Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

Ed
rene

Post by rene »

MP173 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:48 pm

Biggest regret - not pulling the trigger on....

I decided a long time ago that would not happen again to me after I missed out Miles Davis, Talk Talk and a few others.There is always a reason to not go to a show.... and then they die.

I flew across continents to see J.J. Cale play at my old local stomping grounds. Delayed vacation to see Willy Deville in Gothenburg and 2 hours ago booked a ticket for Minneapolis because tickets for Golden Smog will go on sale in a few days at First Avenue to celebrate the venue's 50 years. Never ever worry about money when it comes to live music...
dm200

Post by dm200 »

In college (55 years ago), saw Ray Charles one year and "Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons" another.
happymob

Post by happymob »

I'm probably an outlier here. And part of that is because I haven't been to a lot of concerts (<20 rock/pop concerts). But part is my choice.

Public Enemy in fall 1992 at the University of Kansas. Poster Children, a punk band from Illinois, opened and couldn't have been a more inapprpriate opening act for Public Enemy. Everything (including Poster Children and their hostile interactions with the crowd) was awesome.

Go listen to Fear of a Black Planet. Amazing stuff (in my opinion).
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor »

Woodstock (maybe The Who performance)
Cream - Psychedelic Supermarket, sometime in 1967
Rolling Stones Boston Garden, probably 1969

It's been all downhill for the last 50 years ....
69 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan: 4% WR until age 70, 3% after social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard before that) under various other names
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:35 pm Woodstock (maybe The Who performance)
Cream - Psychedelic Supermarket, sometime in 1967
Rolling Stones Boston Garden, probably 1969

It's been all downhill for the last 50 years ....
Downhill? Do you mean music or life in general?
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
lkar

Post by lkar »

Lot of Springsteen in this thread.

I have many to choose from, but I'll go with the show that has come to be known as the "50th Birthday" show -- 9/24/99 in Philly at the old spectrum.
Orbuculum Nongata

Re:

Post by Orbuculum Nongata »

Petrocelli wrote: Sat May 01, 2010 8:35 am I ran a ticket broker business in college
That's awesome. I ran a "distribution center" in college. We likely had mutual end users.
I think I can > I believe I can > I did
multiham

Post by multiham »

smectym wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:52 am Correction: saw Clash in NYC 1979 at Palladium, not Paramount
The Clash are still my all time favorite band. Only wish I had seen them more than once. Actually I did at Rutgers University, but it was after Joe threw Mick out of the band. No where near as good.
Index24

Post by Index24 »

The Eagles
Carter3

Post by Carter3 »

B.B. King 1996 the old man rocked the house that was filled with 18 year olds
trueblueky

Post by trueblueky »

Billy Joel as the opening act for the Beach Boys
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I am amazed today how many of these folks doing concerts are really getting on in years and have been doing such concerts for so many decades.

Last I checked, for example, Frankie Valli is still performing! And Cher! And Tony Bennett!
over45

Post by over45 »

Beatles at Shea Stadium, NY. Could not hear a thing with all of the women screaming.