What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Mehitabelle
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:16 pm

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by Mehitabelle » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:21 pm

1. Todd Rundgren at my high school in 1972
2. Jesse Colin Young opening for Billy Joel at Carnegie Hall right after Piano Man came out (1975 or earlier)
3. Jackson Brown outdoors near Chicago (Ravinnia?) in 1976

I am still kicking myself for not buying tickets to see Tom Petty at the Forest Hills Tennis Stadium the year before he died. I heard it was a great concert.

You Know What I Mean
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:27 am

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by You Know What I Mean » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:33 pm

bck63 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:29 pm
Grateful Dead, 9/26/81, Buffalo War Memorial Auditorium (The old "Aud"). One of hundreds, but that was special.

As an aside, the Rolling Stones were playing the next day at Rich Stadium just outside of Buffalo. Every rest stop on the New York State Thruway was an insane, drug-crazed party. Looking back now, as an older man living out his life in peace with his family, I am glad I survived those days.
Saw Badfinger at "The Aud" shortly after The Concert for Bangladesh. They were great, but we only heard the first half of the show. Loudest concert we've experienced. The couple we were with got bad headaches, and we left half-way through.

dowse
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by dowse » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:34 pm

A bit off-topic, but related.

A few of the pre-sets on my car satellite radio:

- Grateful Dead channel
- Tom Petty channel
- The Bridge
- Classic Vinyl
- Deep Tracks
- Classic Rewind

7eight9
Posts: 1050
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by 7eight9 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:38 pm

Rolling Stones. Missed the show at Toad's Place. Saw it from the 33rd row at Shea Stadium.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

You Know What I Mean
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:27 am

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by You Know What I Mean » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:39 pm

minesweep wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:55 pm
I’ve never paid for a concert performance. But some of the free acts (yes free) I’ve seen were:

1985 – Blood Sweat & Tears, The Association
1987 – Ray Charles, The Spinners
1988 – The Mamas and the Papas, The Marvelettes
1989 – Johnny Rivers
1990 – Three Dog Night, The Temptations. Peter Noone (Herman’s Hermits)
1991 – The 5th Dimension
1992 – Trisha Yearwood, Neil Sedaka, Mary Wilson
1993- 1964 the Tribute (my favorite Beatles tribute band)
1994 – The Lettermen
1995 – The Everly Brothers, Three Dog Night, Roberta Flack
1996 - Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons
1997 – Tom Jones, Patti LeBelle, Little Richard, KC ad the Sunshine Band
1998 – The Village People, Wayne Newton, Dixie Chicks
1999 – Tony Bennett, Kenny Rodgers

All of these acts were at the Bethlehem (PA) Musikfest. It began back in 1984 and last year it was polled (by USA Today) as the best festival in the nation. The attendance for the 10 day event has grown from about 180,000 (in 1984) to nearly a million today. There are 16 stages and over 500 performances. Only one or two of them (each day) has a paid admission. I’ve been to every one of the festivals (on multiple days) since 1984. They couldn’t do it without the 1,700 volunteers.

Musikfest

Musikfest Voted ‘Best Festival in North America’ in USA Today Reader’s Poll
Love "1964 The Tribute," every song, every time. Seen them over 50 times.

CFM300
Posts: 1945
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:13 am

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by CFM300 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:44 pm

Petrocelli wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:58 pm
The Clash at the Palladium. It was their first concert in NYC after releasing London Calling. I sat in the first row of the balcony.
"The concert was like being run over by a truck." :D

viewtopic.php?p=725236#p725236

nguy44
Posts: 281
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:52 pm

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by nguy44 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:05 pm

It is hard for me to pick a single "best" one. But two come in mind because of a 30 year connection.

In 1977, while in college, I saw Earth Wind & Fire. It was the first concert I took a date to, and wonderful women whom I married 6 years later. I saved a lot of money to get good seats - center stage, about 10 rows back.

In 2007, my wife and I took a "spur of the moment" trip to Las Vegas (all of our kids, then in Middle and High School, were participating in events or on trips that left us with a temporary "empty nest" for 5 days). We went to one of those same-day show ticket places to see what was available. The first thing the cashier asked us was "do you like Earth, Wind and Fire"? They were playing at one of the strip hotels, and we were offered center stage seats, in the second row. We jumped at the chance. It was close to being exactly 30 years to the day from the 1977 concert.

They had just as much energy in 2007 as they did in 1977. And my wife and I danced our heads off in 2007, just as we did in 1977.

User avatar
fishandgolf
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:50 pm

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by fishandgolf » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:23 pm

This is a very interesting thread...….it brings back lots of great memories....thanks to the "dowse" for dusting it off.....

I did a cursory cruise through all the posts and I didn't see anyone mention "Journey" when Steve Perry was their lead on vocals. I only started to pay attention to Steve Perry's songs a few years ago...…..what an amazing voice...….

Did anyone see Journey when Steve Perry was their lead and how was it? I do apologies if I did miss their post...……….

Wings5
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:17 pm

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by Wings5 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:55 pm

Ben Rector. Definitely an artist who enjoys his craft.

User avatar
LittleGreenSoldiers
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:59 pm

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by LittleGreenSoldiers » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:10 pm

U2 Joshua Tree 1987 - RFK Stadium both nights.

User avatar
noraz123
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:23 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by noraz123 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:26 pm

Fishbone at Vassar College in 1991. I was in high school, and had to drive (or rather catch a ride) quite a distance to see them. But what a great show, with tremendous energy.

The best recent show I've been was Bob Mould in 2019 at The Fillmore in San Francisco.

gator15
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by gator15 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:05 pm

Rock Am Ring 2006 in Germany. Acts included Metallica, Korn, Depeche Mode among others. One of the best events I’ve ever attended. Bungee jumped for the first time ever while there.

CFM300
Posts: 1945
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:13 am

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by CFM300 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:10 pm

noraz123 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:26 pm
The best recent show I've been was Bob Mould in 2019 at The Fillmore in San Francisco.
I saw his first concert, post-Husker Du. It was at First Avenue in Minneapolis in 1989. Incredible show. Possibly the best concert I've seen, but I haven't decided that yet. :D

littlebird
Posts: 1609
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:05 pm
Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by littlebird » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:10 am

Nicolas wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:03 pm
littlebird wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:58 pm
marielake wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:15 am
Art Gartfunkel, 2 years ago. He read from his book between sets, had his guitarist or piano player take over the chords he could no longer reach and addressed relationship with Paul Simon. I had tears running down my face with his music. That was a first for me. Still touching.
The other side of a pair of bookends: Simon and Garfunkel - or Paul and Arthur as they were then- singing Earth Angel in the schoolyard of P.S 183 in Kew Garden Hills/Flushing in 1955. Me, a year ahead of them in grade, clinging to the chainlink fence in admiration and amazement; so different from Perry Como.
That’s amazing littlebird! After that they called themselves Tom & Jerry for awhile. I don’t know where that came from, the cartoon? Would they remember you today do you suppose?
If I ever had the opportunity to see them in person I would have introduced myself, but I’m sure they wouldn’t remember me. City elementary schools were large, and I was a grade ahead of them, although I’m a year younger. I didn’t even connect them with the famous Simon and Garfunkel ( I knew them only as Paul and Arthur) until many years later when I saw an album cover of them hanging from a window of a house I recognized!

MathIsMyWayr
Posts: 1741
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:47 pm
Location: CA

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:47 am

Sarah Chang Performance at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. Yes, at the museum.

HawkeyePierce
Posts: 1308
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:29 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by HawkeyePierce » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:55 am

Arcade Fire, Denver 2017 on their album release tour to Everything Now.

MathIsMyWayr
Posts: 1741
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:47 pm
Location: CA

Re:

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:58 am

LynnC wrote:
Mon May 03, 2010 11:12 am
gkaplan wrote:
Ray Charles when I was 16 and he was just starting out.
Lynn, I find it hard to believe you're that old. Ray Charles was in his mid-seventies when he died over five years ago. He had several cross-over hits in the early sixties (Ruby, Georgia on My Mind, and so on), and he already was an established R&B star.
Ahh, Gordon, do the math. At 16, it must have been one of Ray's first concerts as he had just brought out "What'd I say?" It was a new song then. BTW, I also saw one of his LAST performances which was awful since he was so ill and died a few months later.

CCR in the early 60's right before they made it big and Doug, Stu and I were all college students at SJSU.

Hell getting old.

LynnC
Was it SJS College then? Just curious.

Foredeck
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:13 am
Location: U.S.

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by Foredeck » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:54 am

As a teenager I would have said a punk rock show in someone's garage or basement. Those were a lot of fun and exciting.

In my 20s I would have said Ricky Skaggs and his band. Went to a free open air bluegrass concert and was blown away. Incredible talent. I would highly recommend seeing them play.

Lastly Pearl Jam 2014. First and only large venue concert. Great show.

honduranhurricane
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:18 pm
Location: boston, ma

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by honduranhurricane » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:37 am

DIO in the 80's.

honduranhurricane
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:18 pm
Location: boston, ma

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by honduranhurricane » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:39 am

fishandgolf wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:23 pm
This is a very interesting thread...….it brings back lots of great memories....thanks to the "dowse" for dusting it off.....

I did a cursory cruise through all the posts and I didn't see anyone mention "Journey" when Steve Perry was their lead on vocals. I only started to pay attention to Steve Perry's songs a few years ago...…..what an amazing voice...….

Did anyone see Journey when Steve Perry was their lead and how was it? I do apologies if I did miss their post...……….
Steve Perry's voice was as impressive live as it was on recordings when I saw Journey in late 80's early 90's.

User avatar
Michael Patrick
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:25 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by Michael Patrick » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:00 am

Hard to pick only one, but my very first concert would certainly be a contender, the Rolling Stones at the Chicago Stadium in July 1975.

It was great being a teenager during the golden age of what we now call classic rock. After seeing the Stones I saw in quick succession the Who, Elton John, Queen (twice), Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ted Nugent, Journey... and of course the Grateful Dead around 60 times or so.

dowse
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by dowse » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:07 am

While my own memories are precious, I'ts remarkable how many times I have said to myself "WOW - I wish I had been to that show!" while reading through these posts. So many lucky people here have had some amazing experiences.

kaesler
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:53 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by kaesler » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:38 am

AC/DC free concert on the front lawn at Sydney University, 1974.

User avatar
Michael Patrick
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:25 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by Michael Patrick » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:55 am

I was also at the very first show of the very first tour for Van Halen. They were the opening act for Montrose and Journey, March 3, 1978, at the Aragon Brawlroom in Chicago.

User avatar
Rob5TCP
Posts: 3462
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by Rob5TCP » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:37 pm

in the 1980's:
Led Zepplin at Kezar Stadium
Talking Heads and the Dead Kennedy's at CBGB (probably the best punks, new wave bands at the time)

In the 1990's:
Rolling Stones / Living Colour in Miami

about 5 years ago
Epica at Grammercy Theater (Gothic Metal Band)

othermike27
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:14 am

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by othermike27 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:07 pm

Muddy Waters at the Quiet Knight in Chicago - 1974-76 or thereabouts. WXRT recorded this and broadcast it later as one of their "Unconcert" series (sponsored by the Uncola - 7-Up).

OpenMinded1
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:27 am

Re:

Post by OpenMinded1 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:22 pm

brick-house wrote:
Sat May 01, 2010 6:48 am
my vote is for the phyrst phamly on a saturday night in the early 1990s. The exact date is a little hazy...
I am just the opposite. I thought Woodstock was nifty. And it made one thing the world had changed.
Nothing better than a hippie jam fest...

http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/902/

Is that freedom rock, dude!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKDk-mg1J9Q
I'm guessing you saw them while going to school at a certain university in PA? I saw them a few times while in school myself. Good times.

OpenMinded1
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:27 am

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by OpenMinded1 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:28 pm

snyder66 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2010 4:43 am
For me, the smaller, more intimate the venue, the better. Mine was The Alarm in our small college gym. I was so close, I could have jumped on stage.
That's a tough question. I agree the small more intimate venues are the best. Maybe Steely Dan at the Motor City Casino in Detroit, or the Nighthawks at a club in Ocean City Maryland. But the Moody Blues and David Bowie at large arenas would rank right up there too.

Strummer
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:15 pm

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by Strummer » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:33 pm

rene wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:58 pm
Strummer wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:48 am
Fun thread! A few come to mind, with links to set lists where available:

- Elvis Costello has played a number of benefits in San Francisco over the years for a former bandmate of his who has a son with special needs. One year, he reunited with Clover to do all the songs off "My Aim is True." Another year, he and Nick Lowe shared a bill where Elvis sang songs Nick wrote and vice-versa. (They did a duet on "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding," a big hit for Elvis that Nick wrote when he was with Brinsley Schwarz.)
We are from the same neck of the woods and we have been at some of the same shows it seems. The Richard deLeon benefit show with Robert Plant showing up at the GAMH was a good one too :) ... I consider Austin to be the unofficial mayor of Mill Valley. Too bad the old Sweetwater is now gone... the new one is not the same (but still a great venue to see music). Which makes me think that you were also around for the shows at the best record store in North America, Village Music.... some great stuff there too and the owner John Goddard dragging his musician friends over to the tiny old Sweetwater for jam sessions.

And since you are local... try to see Jerry Hannan play whenever he plays a show. ... best songwriter in Marin by a country mile. Best band probably still is Vinyl and they always play their Black Wednesday show at the Sweetwater the day before Thanksgiving. Best guitar player is Danny Uzilevski. Some good music happens at the tiny Papermill Creek Saloon (local band San Geronimo started out there)
I never saw a show at Village Music, but I made it in a couple times before it closed. Seems like it was a good partner for Sweetwater — I know the latter held parties on behalf of the former from time to time, and you can find some clips of them on YouTube. (Speaking of Sweetwater shows on YouTube, I just came across this one with Ry Cooder, Jimmy McCracklin, John Lee Hooker, Albert Collins, Santana… . Wow. They don't make 'em like that any more.)

I've been to Papermill Creek a number of times. Great little place. I've heard Danny play with Kevin Meade's band — he's a hot one, all right.

Dontwasteit
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:52 pm

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by Dontwasteit » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:39 pm

Edgar Winter and Rick Derringer together at the Felt Forum (MSG). Awesome. Also Elton John at MSG and I wasn't even a big fan of his, he was amazing.

johan_s
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:58 pm

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by johan_s » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:40 pm

I am enjoying this thread. A few of my favorites.


Phish - 12/29/96 Philly, PA (Champagne Supernova, really?)
Moe. 7/11/98 - Pontiac, Michigan
Joshua Bell with Indianapolis Symphony ~2005 (American premiere of Ranjbaran concerto)
Roger Waters 2017 (Us and Them)
David Byrne 2018 (American Utopia)
Radiohead 2018 (A Moon Shaped Pool)
Christian McBride and Carl Allen at the Village Vanguard (date eludes me)
Saw Joel Ross (vibes player) last week in DC at Blues Alley; that dude is going places.

GT99
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by GT99 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:54 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:42 pm
Top 3 of all time was Tool at a small venue, waiting outside by the tour busses and the interactions with the band after the show are big memories of mine. This was on the warm up tour for Lateralus. They've not been anywhere smaller than an arena since the tour.
Just saw Tool a few weeks ago. They were one of my favorite bands of the 90s and into the early aughts, but I lost track of them after Lateralus. I was shocked to find they could still sell out a 15k person arena. I was also shocked to learn the night of the concert they had a new album out and had just won a grammy! Unfortunately, they played nothing off of Undertow, 2 songs off of Aenima, 3 off of Lateralus, and everything else was newer stuff I'd never heard. Decent show, although it got a bit monotonous. Would have loved to see them 15+ years ago. Glad I saw them but wouldn't bother again.


As for me, hard to say - I'm going to give in to recency bias and say Pearl Jam at Fenway a couple years ago. I'm generally not a fan of stadium shows, but it was outstanding.

minesweep
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:17 pm
Location: PA

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by minesweep » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:24 pm

You Know What I Mean wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:39 pm
minesweep wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:55 pm
I’ve never paid for a concert performance. But some of the free acts (yes free) I’ve seen were:

1985 – Blood Sweat & Tears, The Association
1987 – Ray Charles, The Spinners
1988 – The Mamas and the Papas, The Marvelettes
1989 – Johnny Rivers
1990 – Three Dog Night, The Temptations. Peter Noone (Herman’s Hermits)
1991 – The 5th Dimension
1992 – Trisha Yearwood, Neil Sedaka, Mary Wilson
1993- 1964 the Tribute (my favorite Beatles tribute band)
1994 – The Lettermen
1995 – The Everly Brothers, Three Dog Night, Roberta Flack
1996 - Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons
1997 – Tom Jones, Patti LeBelle, Little Richard, KC ad the Sunshine Band
1998 – The Village People, Wayne Newton, Dixie Chicks
1999 – Tony Bennett, Kenny Rodgers

All of these acts were at the Bethlehem (PA) Musikfest. It began back in 1984 and last year it was polled (by USA Today) as the best festival in the nation. The attendance for the 10 day event has grown from about 180,000 (in 1984) to nearly a million today. There are 16 stages and over 500 performances. Only one or two of them (each day) has a paid admission. I’ve been to every one of the festivals (on multiple days) since 1984. They couldn’t do it without the 1,700 volunteers.

Musikfest

Musikfest Voted ‘Best Festival in North America’ in USA Today Reader’s Poll
Love "1964 The Tribute," every song, every time. Seen them over 50 times.
There's another tribute group that is probably equal to them (Strawberry Fields ). They have been coming here every year for the past several years on 'British Invasion Day'.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle

kjvmartin
Posts: 1441
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by kjvmartin » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:10 pm

GT99 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:54 pm
kjvmartin wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:42 pm
Top 3 of all time was Tool at a small venue, waiting outside by the tour busses and the interactions with the band after the show are big memories of mine. This was on the warm up tour for Lateralus. They've not been anywhere smaller than an arena since the tour.
Just saw Tool a few weeks ago. They were one of my favorite bands of the 90s and into the early aughts, but I lost track of them after Lateralus. I was shocked to find they could still sell out a 15k person arena. I was also shocked to learn the night of the concert they had a new album out and had just won a grammy! Unfortunately, they played nothing off of Undertow, 2 songs off of Aenima, 3 off of Lateralus, and everything else was newer stuff I'd never heard. Decent show, although it got a bit monotonous. Would have loved to see them 15+ years ago. Glad I saw them but wouldn't bother again.
They're still hugely popular in spite of mostly avoiding press and shunning the limelight. The issue with Tool is, per the band, Maynard has to maintain his voice. The older, angrier, more passionate vocals are hard on it. So, we get glimpses here and there. Danny Carey still has an inhuman amount of ability. I agree that Aenima/Lateraulus/Undertow are the pinnacle. As a musician, they are impossible to cover because no drummer can come close. I was a mega fan and have stood on stage with Danny during a couple songs. He had a band called Pigmy Love Circus (PLC) which pre-dated Tool and then reunited during a break. I saw them twice and befriended the singer the first time, ending up on the guest list next tour. We (my friend and I) were the only fans inside the venue during sound check and Danny asked what we wanted to hear. He demonstrated some of my favorite parts of songs like Eulogy and 46&2. Cloud 9. We had him to ourselves for a good conversation after. We were front and center during that PLC show, called up on stage during the song before encore, sang backup, got to walk off stage with the band and then back out for the encore where we stood next to Danny as he pulled out all the stops. We then retreated with them into the back stage where we all hung out for a while. Just the strangest thing, we stood there (these 2 nerdy college kids) next to this hardcore rock band while they were taking their curtain call, tossing out picks and drum sticks and then went with them like a part of the band. Never will forget all that.

CFM300
Posts: 1945
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:13 am

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by CFM300 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:55 am

GT99 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:54 pm
Just saw Tool a few weeks ago. They were one of my favorite bands of the 90s...
I saw Tool open for Rollins Band in the gym at Fairfax High School in LA in the summer of 1992. David Navarro (post-Jane's Addiction, but before joining RHCP) played some songs with Rollins Band. Incredible show.

User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 1259
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by LilyFleur » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:05 am

I'm not big on concerts.
But, I think the best was James Taylor, probably sometime in the 1990s.
Coldplay is on my bucket list.

BrownEyedGirl_27
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:37 pm

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:08 am

U2 Songs of Innocence Tour, May 2015 at The Forum in LA. I loved the energy of the show and the emotions I felt hearing their music live for the first time.
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig

Caligal
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by Caligal » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:33 am

Elton John 1974 Madison Square Garden
Tom Petty 1997 the Fillmore

User avatar
AerialWombat
Posts: 1470
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 1:07 pm
Location: Cash Canyon / Cashville

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by AerialWombat » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:36 am

The Moody Blues, with a full orchestra. Circa 1993 or so.

SR II
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: Dating myself but it was

Post by SR II » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:38 am

Hexdump wrote:
Sat May 01, 2010 8:38 am
Neil Diamond's Hot August Night

Greek Theater, Los Angeles, 1972.

Pure magic.
Hey, I was there!

SR II
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:37 pm

Re:

Post by SR II » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:40 am

topper1296 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2010 9:48 am
I work in the music business and have been to several concerts, but Elton John was my favorite.
My absolute favorite was Elton John at Dodge Stadium!

SR II
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: best concert

Post by SR II » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:19 am

dowse wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:08 pm
123 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:03 pm
brak wrote:
Sat May 01, 2010 8:40 pm
Why are people forgetting about Elvis in the 1970's and 1980's?
Perhaps many/most of his fans have joined him.
I thought about adding Elvis. I saw him in Vegas (in the late "Fat Elvis" days).
I had a friend that drove to Vegas a few times in the mid 70s to see Elvis. She couldn't get anyone to go with her. Kind of sad, now that I think about it.

DukeLecker
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:07 pm

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by DukeLecker » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:13 am

LilyFleur wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:05 am
I'm not big on concerts.
But, I think the best was James Taylor, probably sometime in the 1990s.
Coldplay is on my bucket list.
Loved Coldplay concert in 2017. Surprised it was so good and not a huge fan. Best show I've been to.

Worst show was KOL. Great band, terrible performance.

Grasshopper
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by Grasshopper » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:25 am

All the talk of Tom Petty, and The Dead remind me of DC RFK July 6 1986 along with Dylan. Wasn't my favorite but I had won tickets for a sky box with free food and beer. The temperature on the ground was over 100 and 100% humidity, I felt like the Queen of Sheba. :sharebeer

dowse
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: best concert

Post by dowse » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:37 am

SR II wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:19 am
dowse wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:08 pm
123 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:03 pm
brak wrote:
Sat May 01, 2010 8:40 pm
Why are people forgetting about Elvis in the 1970's and 1980's?
Perhaps many/most of his fans have joined him.
I thought about adding Elvis. I saw him in Vegas (in the late "Fat Elvis" days).
I had a friend that drove to Vegas a few times in the mid 70s to see Elvis. She couldn't get anyone to go with her. Kind of sad, now that I think about it.
I should clarify that it was not one of the better shows I've seen from a performance standpoint, but notable from an historic one.

stoptothink
Posts: 7826
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by stoptothink » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:10 am

DukeLecker wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:13 am
LilyFleur wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:05 am
I'm not big on concerts.
But, I think the best was James Taylor, probably sometime in the 1990s.
Coldplay is on my bucket list.
Loved Coldplay concert in 2017. Surprised it was so good and not a huge fan. Best show I've been to.

Worst show was KOL. Great band, terrible performance.
Interesting. My brother is/was a huge Coldplay fan, but saw them live and said Chris Martin is such a poor singer live that he wouldn't pay to ever see them again.

Monsterflockster
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:03 am

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by Monsterflockster » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:16 am

Not the best “show” but man Tom Petty was a great concert... so many hit & played them all.

minesweep
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:17 pm
Location: PA

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by minesweep » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:19 am

minesweep wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:24 pm
You Know What I Mean wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:39 pm
minesweep wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:55 pm
I’ve never paid for a concert performance. But some of the free acts (yes free) I’ve seen were:

1985 – Blood Sweat & Tears, The Association
1987 – Ray Charles, The Spinners
1988 – The Mamas and the Papas, The Marvelettes
1989 – Johnny Rivers
1990 – Three Dog Night, The Temptations. Peter Noone (Herman’s Hermits)
1991 – The 5th Dimension
1992 – Trisha Yearwood, Neil Sedaka, Mary Wilson
1993- 1964 the Tribute (my favorite Beatles tribute band)
1994 – The Lettermen
1995 – The Everly Brothers, Three Dog Night, Roberta Flack
1996 - Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons
1997 – Tom Jones, Patti LeBelle, Little Richard, KC ad the Sunshine Band
1998 – The Village People, Wayne Newton, Dixie Chicks
1999 – Tony Bennett, Kenny Rodgers

All of these acts were at the Bethlehem (PA) Musikfest. It began back in 1984 and last year it was polled (by USA Today) as the best festival in the nation. The attendance for the 10 day event has grown from about 180,000 (in 1984) to nearly a million today. There are 16 stages and over 500 performances. Only one or two of them (each day) has a paid admission. I’ve been to every one of the festivals (on multiple days) since 1984. They couldn’t do it without the 1,700 volunteers.

Musikfest

Musikfest Voted ‘Best Festival in North America’ in USA Today Reader’s Poll
Love "1964 The Tribute," every song, every time. Seen them over 50 times.
There's another tribute group that is probably equal to them (Strawberry Fields ). They have been coming here every year for the past several years on 'British Invasion Day'.
I just noticed that there are video clips:
Video Gallery 1
Video Gallery 2
Video Gallery 3
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle

mrb09
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:02 am

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by mrb09 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:42 am

Concerts that stuck with me:

1. Jerry Garcia/Bonnie Raitt 1987, Berkley Greek, they played together on Jerry's set.

2. David Lindly, Santa Cruz, early 90's. Power went out, so they put candles up on stage and he did an acoustic version of "tiki torches at twilight".

3. Richie Blackmore, late 70's San Bernardino Swing Auditorium. Blackmore had just left Deep Purple and started Rainbow and wasn't used to small venues again. Brought loads of equipment, cranked it up to 10 and smashed a Stratocastor a few feet in front in front of me. Probably why I have hearing aids now :)

fjfino
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Southern NH

Re: What is the best concert you ever witnessed?

Post by fjfino » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:34 am

Recently;
2018-Byrds/with Marty Stuart- Sweetheart of the Rodeo tour (really went to go see Marty Stuart but was blown away by Hilman and McGuinn and
how good they sounded still).
others good recently
Ryan Bingham
Drive by Truckers
Lucero

Way back when..
David Bowie-Let's Dance -Foxborough stadium
Grateful Dead- SPAC..circa 1986
J.Geils Band- Worcester Centrum
Stay the course

Post Reply