Determine if a Microsoft Office XP CD has been activated

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
a

Determine if a Microsoft Office XP CD has been activated

Post by a » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:55 pm

Does anyone know how to check if a particular Office XP CD, with Dell sticker and Microsoft Product Key on it, has been activated on any computer in the past?

XtremeSki2001

Re: Determine if a Microsoft Office XP CD has been activated

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:21 pm

a wrote:Does anyone know how to check if a particular Office XP CD, with Dell sticker and Microsoft Product Key on it, has been activated on any computer in the past?
To my knowledge you can't. As long as it's genuine, you should have no issue reactivating it.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:04 pm

There is usually an activation limit of three times. But I don't know how to tell how many activations remain until trying. That's why buying a used, but legitimate license may be a waste -- there may be no more activations left.

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:39 pm

baldeagle wrote:There is usually an activation limit of three times. But I don't know how to tell how many activations remain until trying. That's why buying a used, but legitimate license may be a waste -- there may be no more activations left.
I've reacted mine countless times - sometimes you just have to call Microsoft Support.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:18 pm

If the CD has a Dell sticker on it, it has been my experience that it is dependent on being installed the same Dell machine it came with. Not sure what it actually checks to confirm this.

edit: Never mind, I was thinking of the XP Operating System, not MS Office, sorry.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:18 am

There's another issue.
If that Office CD has been installed on ANOTHER PC which has registered with Microsoft online to receive updates, then you won't be able to install it on a different PC.
This keeps one CD from being used to install Office on dozens of pirating PCs.

I'm not sure how someone who buys a new PC and trashes their old one can have Microsoft enable full use of that CD's new Office installation.

budsi

Post by budsi » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:18 pm

I have a slightly different situation with my XPProfessional on a Dell, purchased late 2005 direct from Dell. I had the computer serviced nine months agos. Ten days ago I get a notice on my screen titled Genuine Microsoft Software stating my product did not pass validation. It seems to want me to purchase a genuine for $149. It claimed that my software was issued to a large corporation. I can not locate the serviceman. I e-mailed Microsoft service support seven days ago and they promise response in 48 hours, still waiting and the screen has not gone black as indicated nor service limited to one hour a day. I do have my Dell invoice with product code, SKU no. and the small cardboard disc which states I do not need Operating System or Drive CDs. States I should double click on Owner's manual icon but, do not nave icom appearing. Suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks Budsi