iPad Users: Is it revolutionary or Over Hyped

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mews

Post by mews » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:24 pm

They seem to make good cat toys, from various postings on YouTube.

Nothing but the best for Fluffy!

ta,
mews

mews

Post by mews » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:24 pm

They seem to make good cat toys, from various postings on YouTube.

Nothing but the best for Fluffy!

ta,
mews

Bob B

Post by Bob B » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:14 pm

Random Musings wrote:I've never even seen one except on T.V.

But these must be critical for the continuation of society, since everyone is buying them....

RM
Not everyone is buying them. 600,000 sold in a country of 309,132,201 people. That's only .19% of the population.

Sorry, it's been a slow Saturday afternoon.
Regards, | Bob | Wiki

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:12 pm

I'm curious why the 17" gignormous Macbook users didn't think to buy a smaller MacBook? You know they make 13" Macbooks, right? (And 15" ones as well.)

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:18 pm

I love my iPad. I sit on the deck reading the WSJ, USA Today, and surf the web all the time. Some of my Bogleheads posts are from my iPad.

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:20 pm

livesoft wrote:I'm curious why the 17" gignormous Macbook users didn't think to buy a smaller MacBook? You know they make 13" Macbooks, right? (And 15" ones as well.)
I've had all three. 17", 15" and 13". The last is a macbook air and is almost a perfect travel computer. I think the iPad is going to be superior though. When traveling it does 99% of what we want. Web, e-mail, maps, e-books and games. I don't remember the last time I had to compose a letter or work on a spreadsheet when traveling. Of course we travel mostly for vacation and personal business (health related) not work. I don't think the iPad will be a replacement for those who use their laptops for work. For us I think it will be a laptop replacement though. We'll see in a couple of weeks when it arrives.

BearWolf

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:04 pm

bearwolf wrote: I don't think the iPad will be a replacement for those who use their laptops for work. For us I think it will be a laptop replacement though. We'll see in a couple of weeks when it arrives.

BearWolf
Got my iPad today. Is it the greatest invention ever? No. Does it work pretty well? Yes. Do I hate AT&T more than ever? Yes. I spent several hours trying to activate the 3G service. It's still not working. Why, you ask? Because AT&T requires a physical address for credit cards. I have all of mine sent to a PO box. Regardless of the fact that I have my current cell phone with them and bill it to the same card. So I have to change my billing address to the physical address, wait 24 hours, sign up for service, change it back to the PO box. Is this all, no in 30 days I have to do it all again because the validate the card every 30 days. I'll write more later when I'm not so furious.

Bearwolf

Perpetual

Post by Perpetual » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:11 pm

I got my iPad today, as a gift from my dad. Loving it so far.

Whether or not I would have paid 700+ bucks for it, had it come out of my own pocket, I don't know yet. But even the iBooks experience is far, far superior to the Kindle experience. So that pays for half of it right there.
Last edited by Perpetual on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dayzero

Post by dayzero » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:11 pm

Posting from my iPad from the back of my camper van in the middle of the desert right now. god I love this thing.

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:16 pm

Perpetual wrote:I got my iPad today, as a gift from my dad. Loving it so far.

Whether or not I would have paid 700+ bucks for it, had it come out of my own pocket, I don't know yet. But even the iBooks experience is far, far superior to the Kindle experience. So that pays for half of it right there.
Even kindle is better on the iPad. I can read all of my kindle material on it.

Sleepless

Post by Sleepless » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:52 pm

In what position do you operate the iPad when sitting at the desk or on the couch? I noticed that in the Apple store, customers eventually had it flat on the table, which doesn't seem very ergonomic. I guess it's because it's too big to hold in one hand and tap with the other. When using a laptop one looks forward, which feels healthier - no need to stretch your neck.
So is the iPad an ergonomic disaster because of its huge size?
I was tired yesterday and I'm tired again today. I'm retired.

joebruin77

Can you write on the ipad?

Post by joebruin77 » Sat May 01, 2010 12:09 am

I use a Lenovo Tablet PC at the office, mainly so I can hand-write notes. Although I love my Lenovo, it is over 3 years old and I was excited at the thought of replacing it with a new ipad. But I don't think you can write on it with a stylus and take notes, like you can with a Tablet PC. Could ipad users clarify this? Seems strange to name something with the word "pad" without it having the capability of being a true writing pad.

Perpetual

Post by Perpetual » Sat May 01, 2010 12:13 am

Sleepless wrote:In what position do you operate the iPad when sitting at the desk or on the couch?
I use the keyboard dock - it's awesome and makes typing for extended periods of time a lot easier (even though I find the screen keyboard easy as it is).

Tabs

Re: Can you write on the ipad?

Post by Tabs » Sat May 01, 2010 8:33 am

joebruin77 wrote:But I don't think you can write on it with a stylus and take notes, like you can with a Tablet PC. Could ipad users clarify this?
There are styluses out there that will work with the iPhone / iPad type touch screens. Pogo is probably one of the most recognizable brands, and that's what the Apple store near me uses. However, Pogo's is $15, and this one is much cheaper. That or you can DIY one (lots of examples if you do a search for it in Google or YouTube).

I've tried out the Pogo, and while it is responsive enough, the head is spongy and moves around. It's kind of like using a marker or sharpie, except the tip isn't strong enough to really stay still. Also, you have to take care not to push down on it too hard, or there is a small chance that the metal body of the stylus will scratch the surface of the touchscreen. It's not quite as good as the resistive stylus of yore, but it may not be so bad once you get used to it?

joebruin77

Post by joebruin77 » Sat May 01, 2010 9:26 am

Tabs wrote:
joebruin77 wrote:But I don't think you can write on it with a stylus and take notes, like you can with a Tablet PC. Could ipad users clarify this?
There are styluses out there that will work with the iPhone / iPad type touch screens. Pogo is probably one of the most recognizable brands, and that's what the Apple store near me uses. However, Pogo's is $15, and this one is much cheaper. That or you can DIY one (lots of examples if you do a search for it in Google or YouTube).

I've tried out the Pogo, and while it is responsive enough, the head is spongy and moves around. It's kind of like using a marker or sharpie, except the tip isn't strong enough to really stay still. Also, you have to take care not to push down on it too hard, or there is a small chance that the metal body of the stylus will scratch the surface of the touchscreen. It's not quite as good as the resistive stylus of yore, but it may not be so bad once you get used to it?
Thank you for the info. Is there an app that allows you to use the ipad, along with the stylus you mentioned, as a notepad? When I meet with a client, I like to take notes just as if I was using a paper pad and pen. Please let me know if you are aware of any apps or sofware for the ipad that can do this. Thank you!

wander

Post by wander » Sat May 01, 2010 10:03 am

For me, Ipad is just another cool expensive toy. As I have already got an Itouch, Ipad is not needed.
Just like owning a Corolla and suddenly seeing a new Camry. Yes, I like the Camry but I am doing fine with my Corolla for now. I am not going to own both.
The difference is the cost much less than a car makes people easy to get the second device than to think about finance.
Family of four, 4 Ipads will cost about $4000 + monthly 3G. It is almost worth of one year IRA contribution.

MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb » Sat May 01, 2010 6:01 pm

They look cool. If they allow ME to choose whether I want flash and add multi-tasking, I'll buy one. A removable battery would be nice too.

Tabs

Post by Tabs » Sat May 01, 2010 11:38 pm

Is there an app that allows you to use the ipad, along with the stylus you mentioned, as a notepad?
The stylus is recognized as though you are using your own finger. As such, all the apps that have been developed for both the iPhone and the iPad (and theoretically any other devices that uses the capacitive touchscreen) will work with these styluses.

In short, yes, you can write and sketch on an iPad using these styluses. The trick or perhaps the fun part is to find the most suitable app that will fit your needs. :)

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Mon May 03, 2010 8:45 am

Hi,
I stopped by a Best Buy yesterday and saw my first iPad. It was heavier than I expected. At the moment I have no need to get an iPad. However, according to this article, the iPad appears to be successful with seniors: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1D7JQP.DTL
Best Wishes, | Joe

Dagwood

Post by Dagwood » Mon May 03, 2010 8:58 am

I am thinking of buying an iPad and I have two questions:

1. Do people think the 3G version is worth the cost?

2. What do folks think about the different memory sizes? Not that I want to spend more than we need to spend, but at the same time I don't want the device to be useful for 15 minutes, if you know what I mean.

thank you.

3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Mon May 03, 2010 9:39 am

One million iPads sold in 28 days... verses 74 days for the iPhone! It is crazy how fast new technology products become mainstream today.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple- ... 2010-05-03

My wife and I got one as a surprise gift recently (and no that is not in the least normal)... and I love it. I was streaming a Netflix movie the other day while cooking breakfast. In some ways it is a glorified laptop, but there is a unique quality to it that sets it apart from other devices.

pr

Post by pr » Mon May 03, 2010 10:44 am

Is it possible to stream movies from Netflix using the 3G network?

Tristrex

Post by Tristrex » Mon May 03, 2010 10:47 am

pr wrote:Is it possible to stream movies from Netflix using the 3G network?
I've read that it does, but the quality of the video takes a hit.

Tabs

Post by Tabs » Mon May 03, 2010 10:53 am

Tristrex wrote:
pr wrote:Is it possible to stream movies from Netflix using the 3G network?
I've read that it does, but the quality of the video takes a hit.
That's correct. The video resolution is lowered to compensate for the lower bandwidth of 3G.

Perpetual

Post by Perpetual » Mon May 03, 2010 1:15 pm

Dagwood wrote:I am thinking of buying an iPad and I have two questions:

Depends on what you'll do with it and where you're planning to use it. I think most people buy the 3G version because they don't ever want to find themselves in a situation where they have their iPad with them, but no internet access, because that would be a pretty horrible feeling. :)

The 3G plan also matters. The 250MB/month is enough only for casual browsing here and there. Anything more than that, you need to pay $30/month for unlimited.

strafe

Post by strafe » Mon May 03, 2010 1:40 pm

2. What do folks think about the different memory sizes? Not that I want to spend more than we need to spend, but at the same time I don't want the device to be useful for 15 minutes, if you know what I mean.

thank you.
I bought the 32GB. I think you'd find the 16GB too limiting if you put any audio/video content on it.

The 3G version adds to features: GPS and anywhere-Internet access. Whether it's worth the $130 extra for 3G depends on the utility you'd get from GPS and/or accessing the internet outside the home and away from public WiFi hotspots.

3G is old technology and relatively slow. Several reviews have noted that streaming video does not work well on 3G. Cell providers are rolling out 4G coverage. All offer a mobile WiFi device that will bridge the connection between your Wifi laptop/iPad and the cell data network, obviating the need for the 3G iPad. Sprint's version provides about 6 Mbps, which I'm tempted to get to replace my cable internet.

Tabs

Post by Tabs » Mon May 03, 2010 3:30 pm

strafe wrote:3G is old technology and relatively slow. Several reviews have noted that streaming video does not work well on 3G. Cell providers are rolling out 4G coverage. All offer a mobile WiFi device that will bridge the connection between your Wifi laptop/iPad and the cell data network, obviating the need for the 3G iPad. Sprint's version provides about 6 Mbps, which I'm tempted to get to replace my cable internet.
This is largely my thinking as well.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect the next generation iPad to have 4G instead of 3G. I say this because the next generation of iPhone is already (unofficially) confirmed to have 4G onboard.

Plus, believe it or not, but 3G is very costly to set up and maintain. 4G networks are just starting to pick up speed, but it won't be long until we are all on it as a standard. I've seen the technology behind it, and it is simply breathtaking, both in terms of size, as well as the relatively low cost of deployment and maintenance.

But for us consumers, we have to decide if it truly is worth 3G for us right now, only to have to buy a completely new future generation iPad with 4G. I suspect everyone will have different answers depending on their needs and digital lifestyle. However, if you have no preference, or see no need at this very moment (like myself), I recommend holding off at least the 3G version for the next. Otherwise, it's just going to cost you about $100 more for a slower version that you may end up replacing anyways.

superthan34

Post by superthan34 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:51 pm

strafe wrote:

thank you.
I bought the 32GB. I think you'd find the 16GB too limiting if you put any audio/video content on it.

The 3G version adds to features: GPS and anywhere-Internet access. Whether it's worth the $130 extra for 3G depends on the utility you'd get from GPS and/or accessing the internet outside the home and away from public WiFi hotspots.

3G is old technology and relatively slow. Several reviews have noted that streaming video does not work well on 3G. Cell providers are rolling out 4G coverage. All offer a mobile WiFi device that will bridge the connection between your Wifi laptop/iPad and the cell data network, obviating the need for the 3G iPad. Sprint's version provides about 6 Mbps, which I'm tempted to get to replace my cable internet.

Not to hijack the thread, but the thought had never occured to me to use one of the mobile hotspots at home to replace Cable Internet. What advantages/disadvantages do you see in this set-up.

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Mon May 03, 2010 5:00 pm

superthan34 wrote: Not to hijack the thread, but the thought had never occured to me to use one of the mobile hotspots at home to replace Cable Internet. What advantages/disadvantages do you see in this set-up.
The 5GB per month limit would be my objection.

Bearwolf

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Mon May 03, 2010 5:05 pm

thank you.
Depends where and how you will use it. Mine is a laptop replacement for travel. I want google, e-mail, maps and a few other apps where ever I am. Without 3G I would be dependent on wifi hotspots for usage. I opted for large memory with 3G. If 4G comes out later I am hoping they will allow iPhone tether by then.

strafe

Post by strafe » Mon May 03, 2010 6:10 pm

superthan34 wrote:Not to hijack the thread, but the thought had never occured to me to use one of the mobile hotspots at home to replace Cable Internet. What advantages/disadvantages do you see in this set-up.
The obvious advantage is mobility.

Offhand, the disadvantages are--
1. unpredictable/unreliable coverage -- actual vs. theoretical transfer rates
2. security -- do the hotspots support encryption?
3. connectivity -- not as powerful as a typical wireless router; no wired ports; only 5 devices
4. cost -- long term contract, like a cell phone)
5. clutter -- specifically with the iPad Wifi vs. 3g, it's one more device to carry

Yuba

Post by Yuba » Tue May 04, 2010 9:30 am

Tabs wrote: I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect the next generation iPad to have 4G instead of 3G. I say this because the next generation of iPhone is already (unofficially) confirmed to have 4G onboard.
I have seen the "unofficial" reviews of the new iPhone, but I do not believe it really is 4G (LTE) service. I think a number of blogs tagged it as 4G meaning 4th generation of the device and not 4G (LTE) cellular data service.

I do not believe the new iPhone that will be announced in June will be capable of 4G (since AT&T is not even rolling out true 4G (LTE) until next year in limited markets).

I also do not think the next iPad will have 4G (LTE) technology. Probably 2 models away from that.

Rick dba Yuba

Yuba

Post by Yuba » Tue May 04, 2010 9:32 am

bearwolf wrote: If 4G comes out later I am hoping they will allow iPhone tether by then.
My personal opinion (absolutely no knowledge of any actual info) is that the iPhone will not allowed to be tetered until rate-based plans are implemented (i.e. 5Gig cap or some equivalent).

Rick dba Yuba

stratton

Post by stratton » Tue May 04, 2010 6:15 pm

3CT_Paddler wrote:One million iPads sold in 28 days... verses 74 days for the iPhone! It is crazy how fast new technology products become mainstream today.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple- ... 2010-05-03
It's not new technology. It's an iPod Touch with a large screen and some slight adjustments to take advantage of the larger screen such as the virtual keyboard.

That doesn't mean it isn't a big difference. It's like going from an old VGA resultion (640x480) to larger one at 1280x1024. If you're doing anything that required scrolling around on a smaller screen that doesn't on new one you're probably getting stuff done 2x to 3x faster. So says one who tried to use MacDraw on a porthole mac and went to 20" monitor.

Paul