Buying a gas barbeque grill?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Milo

Buying a gas barbeque grill?

Post by Milo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:52 pm

Someone mentioned in an earlier iPad thread that since it's Spring they are looking to buy a grill (instead of an iPad). I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread. So I thought I'd start this one.

I'm looking to buy a nice gas grill. I would prefer it to cost under $400. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you.

Milo

ddb

Post by ddb » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:09 pm

I recommend that you try to minimize LONG-TERM costs and just get a Weber grill off the bat. Few brands in any category receive such universal praise as Weber.

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB

Topic Author
Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:23 pm

ddb wrote:I recommend that you try to minimize LONG-TERM costs and just get a Weber grill off the bat. Few brands in any category receive such universal praise as Weber.

- DDB
Thanks. Webers are good. Are you suggesting charcoal or gas? Weber makes gas grills also don't they? I've heard good things about their charcoal grills. I even own a small one. I wonder if their gas grills are of comparably good quality.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:32 pm

I've had a gas (lp) Weber for almost 20 yrs. Probably use it 3 times a week all year round. Great product

gasman

Post by gasman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:48 pm

I've had two Webers. Bought the first one about 18 years ago (GENESIS). Loved it. Decided to upgrade to a Summit about 3 years ago. I have been somewhat disappointed. Doesn't seem to cook as nice and even. Only one row of flavorizer bars as opposed to two as my old genesis had. Still a good grill but I wonder if they lost something trying to save a few bucks on manufacturing.

If it is an option get a line hook up to your natural gas to the house. No worries about running out of propane or fears of fire with propane tanks.

pochax

Post by pochax » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:51 pm

Ducane was bought by Weber a few years ago and uses weber parts. i am not sure if the warranties are the same, but the one i have is nice and cooks well. may be a cheaper alternative to Weber if you are clearly looking to pay less - having said that, all my friends who have Webers are happy as well!

Topic Author
Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:56 pm

That was easy! Looks like Weber it is. Thanks to all repliers.

VanFran

Grill

Post by VanFran » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi,

I too have a weber grill and they do last a long time. Also, parts are readily available. There are other brands that do well. My suggestion is to visit Home Depot and talk to a grill person and ask his recommendation for a well built grill. Last time I looked they had three or four choices under $300.

Incidentally, I do agree with one of the responders. Grills last a long time and you will be unhappy with a product that is not well built, i.e., stay away from the $100 grills.

AnimalCrackers

Post by AnimalCrackers » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:29 pm

We bought a Weber Spirit E-210 Natural Gas Grill from Walmart, which we hooked up to run off of the line next to our gas meter (so no Propane issues).

My wife did the research.

She's better (or worse, depending on how you look at it) than I am with exhaustive comparison shopping via Consumer Reports and a survey of the reviews on the usual websites like CR reviews, Amazon, Target, Walmart, etc.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson

Topic Author
Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:36 pm

AnimalCrackers wrote:We bought a Weber Spirit E-210 Natural Gas Grill from Walmart, which we hooked up to run off of the line next to our gas meter (so no Propane issues).

My wife did the research.

She's better (or worse, depending on how you look at it) than I am with exhaustive comparison shopping via Consumer Reports and a survey of the reviews on the usual websites like CR reviews, Amazon, Target, Walmart, etc.
Unfortunately, we have no natural gas availability. But thanks for the recommendation. I'll take a look at that model and see if they have a propane version.

krmann

Weber Baby Q

Post by krmann » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:46 pm

I have a weber baby Q which I really like. I have had it for several years now. It uses the blue cylinders which are also used for blowtorches - easy to purchase at the hardware store and you can recycle them. I also purchased a cart which is easy to roll in and out of the garage. Kate

rokid

Post by rokid » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:48 pm

Vermont Castings. An excellent grill. I bought mine at Home Depot.-----Jim

ddb

Post by ddb » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:54 pm

Milo wrote:
ddb wrote:I recommend that you try to minimize LONG-TERM costs and just get a Weber grill off the bat. Few brands in any category receive such universal praise as Weber.
Thanks. Webers are good. Are you suggesting charcoal or gas? Weber makes gas grills also don't they? I've heard good things about their charcoal grills. I even own a small one. I wonder if their gas grills are of comparably good quality.
Ideally, one of each! Gas is so convenient, whereas charcoal gives more control and potentially much better flavor, but is more of a PITA.

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB

JasonR

Post by JasonR » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:26 pm

rokid wrote:Vermont Castings. An excellent grill. I bought mine at Home Depot.-----Jim
Second this. My VC cooks evenly across the entire grill.

Check Consumer Reports. They had VC top-rated when I bought about four years ago.

leod

Post by leod » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:54 pm

I replied to that other thread about grill :) The Weber spirit is right on your budget @ $400.

- I visited Sears and looked at Kenmore grill's
- will drop by this week to HD and Lowes to look other brands.

I also like the portable Weber grill.

Padlin

Post by Padlin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:58 pm

Ditto with Gasman, the new Webers are not on par with the older ones. I decided to keep my old one as long as they keep filling the quick disconnect bottles.
Also own 2 Weber charcoal grills for when time permits, you can't beat the taste.
Regards | Bob

shmidds

Post by shmidds » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:47 pm

weber performer

retcaveman

Post by retcaveman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:17 pm

A long time charcoal user relented a couple ofyears ago and bought a Weber Baby Q gas grill ($75 new at Target at year-end). We got a converter kit that allows us to use a large lp gas tank which lasts us all year and then some. It is very convenient and easy to use. We keep using the tank until it runs out and have some smaller torch tank as back-up till I can get it refilled. The Baby Q with the little tanks also makes it easy to use for tailgating, camping, boating, picknicking, etc.

There is a larger version of this portable grill, but the Baby version has worked well for us.
"The wants of mortals are containers that can never be filled." (Socrates)

Ducks

Post by Ducks » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:59 pm

I recommend a Traeger. :D

http://www.traegergrills.com/
Getting our Ducks in a row since 2008.

dkdoy

Post by dkdoy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:30 pm

Two Weber grills over last 15yrs, would not buy anything else. Very happy with them. Also, bought the Weber Q for trips and like it very much.

rdgamblr

Post by rdgamblr » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:11 pm

I Have taken the cheaper route many times on gas grills the problem is when you have an issue you can't get parts. I now own a weber and have, as others have stated, am very satisfied with it. Cooks good holds up well and when it does need service, burners replaced etc.. you can order over the phone or online and have them shipped UPS to your door.

I also keep a weber charcoal grill cause you can't beat a good BBQ when yo have the time to do it right.

Dan Moroboshi

Post by Dan Moroboshi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:16 pm

I was stingy and bought a cheapo Kenmore propane grill about four years ago.

It still performs the basic function of grilling stuff, but the construction is rather shoddy. The upper wire rack is broken, and I have to be careful that the propane nozzles don't back out of the grill and expose a blazing hot jet of flame that's perilously close to the propane tank (although the kids thought that was hilarious).

You get what you pay for.

In this case, I apparently paid for pyrotechnic entertainment for the kids.

carolc

Post by carolc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:54 am

I have a 13 year old Weber Spirit...it's a great grill.
I bought a new Spirit as a house warming gift for friends. The quality is FAR inferior to mine. Don't know what happened to Weber.

If I were going to buy another, I'd look at other brands.

carolc

carolc

Post by carolc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:54 am

I have a 13 year old Weber Spirit...it's a great grill.
I bought a new Spirit as a house warming gift for friends. The quality is FAR inferior to mine. Don't know what happened to Weber.

If I were going to buy another, I'd look at other brands.

carolc

drewmo

Post by drewmo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:08 pm

I'm seeing a lot of people happy with their old (>10 years) Weber grill and some who are not so happy their newer (<3>10yo used Weber instead of paying full price for a new model figuring the older model might have as many, if not more years, of life left in it as the newer model.

gregw

Post by gregw » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:46 pm

Ducks wrote:I recommend a Traeger. :D
Somehow I think the distinction of barbecue as being done low & slow on a smoker is lost on most. :lol:

Seriously, though, I have a 5-6 year old natural gas Weber that's great (to go along with my Weber kettle, Smokey Joe, and Smokey Mountain Cooker). I've looked at some of the newer models in the store & wouldn't hesitate to get one if I were going to buy a new gas grill.

Ducks

Post by Ducks » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:01 pm

The end-result of food off a Traeger grill is so far and above anything you'll ever pull off of a gas grill, and it's so much easier and cleaner to use than a charcoal, I'll never go back. Ribs done on the Traeger are better than any ribs I've ever had in a restaurant, ever.
Getting our Ducks in a row since 2008.

indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:32 pm

I am looking to buy my first gas grill. Many in this thread pointed to Weber, but some also question the quality of the newer ones.

The Weber Spirit E-210 is available for $399 (+tax -5% Bing cashback) from Home Depot with free delivery:

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Grill ... ogId=10053

I would appreciate any comments on this set. Thanks!
My signature has been deleted.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:25 pm

pshonore wrote:I've had a gas (lp) Weber for almost 20 yrs. Probably use it 3 times a week all year round. Great product
Similar here, all year round, even with SNOW outside.
I keep it close to the house right outside my sliding glass door.
But not so close as to set the house on fire...

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:47 pm

Milo,

Look for last year's models at deeply discounted prices. I picked up an all stainless model (essentially the old Weber Silver B model but in stainless) at ACE last year for $349.

Unless you're grill connoisseur I'd suggest a gas grill for ease and convenience. If you can plumb it into a house propane or natural gas line that's even better (no tanks to worry about filling...and running out), but don't forget to turn it off! :-)

Be aware that you need a different burner for propane (standard) or natural gas.

Also, unless it will live under cover, I highly recommend a good (i.e. Weber) grill cover. It will make it last much longer.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

ResNullius

Post by ResNullius » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Can't beat a basic Weber from Lowes.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:13 pm

I love my Weber. Just had pork chops for dinner.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:18 pm

rcasement wrote:I love my Weber. Just had pork chops for dinner.
I'm grilling baby back ribs on my (non-Weber) gas grill before long.
Aren't you glad you have a gas grill?
Don't you wish everybody did? :)

dekecarver

Post by dekecarver » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:22 pm

Buy a Big Green Egg or similar and forget about it. No replacement parts to speak of and no worry about or need for refilling the tank.

Can grill up to 700F or slow cook at 200F>.

Very versatile and easy to use.