Are you buying an iPad?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Indices
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:40 am
Contact:

Post by Indices » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:09 pm

Allan wrote:What can you actually do with an iPad?
I think it would make a good drinks' tray.

mhalley
Posts: 7776
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Post by mhalley » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:09 am

It is one heck of a Salsa Maker!
http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/02/colbert-ipad/
Got mine saturday, and it is delicious!
Mike

pr
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:31 am

Post by pr » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:15 am

No, I will not buy one because:
1)No video camera- we use Skype A LOT
2)No DVD player
3)No USB port included
4)It runs on ATTs lousy 3-G nework

BTW, I have an Iphone which I like. Waiting for the Verizon version to switch out of ATT

User avatar
southerndoc
Posts: 1091
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Atlanta

Post by southerndoc » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:51 am

pr wrote:No, I will not buy one because:
1)No video camera- we use Skype A LOT
2)No DVD player
3)No USB port included
4)It runs on ATTs lousy 3-G nework

BTW, I have an Iphone which I like. Waiting for the Verizon version to switch out of ATT
The iPad isn't locked to AT&T. No pad device this small will have a DVD player. Besides, Apple wants you to buy movies from iTunes. I'm thinking the second generation will have a video cam and USB port.

Seabeck
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:29 pm

I tried to wait but...

Post by Seabeck » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:31 pm

I tried to wait but I ended up ordering a wifi ipad on Sunday. I was hoping I'd have the strength to wait until Apple included a webcam, but that could take years. A tablet computer for reading and the web will be a huge immediate improvement over lugging my mac book pro around the house and outside in the yard. I have to snatch time whenever my anklebiters let me.

User avatar
ryuns
Posts: 3493
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:07 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Post by ryuns » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:45 pm

I'm definitely feeling the early adopter bug with these (they're just really COOL), but I just don't have much use for it. Will be interested to see the release of the HP Slate and maybe Joojoo will get its act together.

For now though, if I decide I have a use for increased portability, I'll go with an Asus Eee. Hard to beat the price and capabilities of that little thing.

Ryan
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

Beezthree
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:16 pm

Post by Beezthree » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:51 pm

edit...duplicate post
Last edited by Beezthree on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beezthree
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:16 pm

Post by Beezthree » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:52 pm

mathwhiz wrote:There is a kindle ap for the ipad that has been released for the launch so you can buy books directly from amazon.com to view on the ipad just like you could with the kindle ap for the iphone or ipod touch. I looked at it on the itunes store. It looks really neat with full page text and color graphics optimized for the ipad.

The issue between buying a kindle/ipad really is about whether the ipad is too heavy for you to use a book reader for long periods and if you prefer "e-ink" over the ipad's lcd backlit screen which some people don't like for extended periods of reading cause it's too much like looking at a computer.
i don't understand anyone buying an ipad that does so on the premise of using it mostly as an e-book reader. as discussed, the battery life is miniscule compared to the kindle and most importantly, you can't even read the ipad's screen in full daylight. it's awful.

granted, the ipad has a huge advantage with regard to applications but the tablet that beats the ipad in every possible way, with regard to specs and hardware is the newton ink "adam". it has an amazing screen that changes in daylight to allow easy reading, has usb ports, full 1080p video output, a moving camera, ridiculous battery life, just to name a few superior features.

check it out:
http://gizmodo.com/5471559/notion-ink-a ... -finalized

Curlyq
Posts: 787
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:26 pm

Post by Curlyq » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:24 pm

.....
Last edited by Curlyq on Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bearwolf
Posts: 1718
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 12:34 am
Location: Oklahoma

Post by bearwolf » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:05 pm

Curlyq wrote:I just saw an ad for an iPhone with plan for $69 and didn't they originally sell for for $600 plus plan? The new iPhones are so much better than the originals, now for a fraction of the price. It's worth waiting in my opinion.
I couldn't stand it any longer. I ordered the 3G version for delivery in late April. I went to the apple store and test drove the wifi version. It will be the perfect travel computer.

BearWolf

User avatar
renditt
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:05 pm

Post by renditt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:08 pm

Got my iPad today. I love to serve the web sitting on my couch and this is just the perfect way to do it (actually writing this on the iPad). This will be another huge success for Apple, the screen is just unbelievable!

User avatar
Driver
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 3:18 pm

Post by Driver » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:20 am

I'm not getting one. I'll probably end up getting the HP Slate once it's released. No Flash support on the iPad made the decision for me. Just found out about the <a href="http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/Voodoo-Blo ... ">Slate</a> today.

User avatar
southerndoc
Posts: 1091
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Atlanta

Post by southerndoc » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:29 am

Driver wrote:I'm not getting one. I'll probably end up getting the HP Slate once it's released. No Flash support on the iPad made the decision for me. Just found out about the <a href="http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/Voodoo-Blo ... ">Slate</a> today.
Flash is a dying media. HTML5 will replace it.

HockeyMike35
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:02 am

Post by HockeyMike35 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:40 am

southerndoc wrote: Flash is a dying media. HTML5 will replace it.
Flash is certainly not dying. It will die like all formats eventually but who knows when. HTML5 is only in a draft state so who knows if it will eventuality replace Flash. Right now it is a wildly popular platform and a computer that can not view it is very limited. I have no interest in an IPAD because it has no flash, no USB, no Camera and is more expensive then other devices that do so much more.

User avatar
southerndoc
Posts: 1091
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Atlanta

Post by southerndoc » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:19 am

HockeyMike35 wrote:
southerndoc wrote: Flash is a dying media. HTML5 will replace it.
Flash is certainly not dying. It will die like all formats eventually but who knows when. HTML5 is only in a draft state so who knows if it will eventuality replace Flash. Right now it is a wildly popular platform and a computer that can not view it is very limited. I have no interest in an IPAD because it has no flash, no USB, no Camera and is more expensive then other devices that do so much more.
Everybody has their preferences. The Slate does seem like a nice tablet from reading its specs, but I haven't seen one in any vids.

Regardless, I'm an Apple fan boy. So naturally an iPad is something I would buy, and it works flawlessly and does everything I want it to do. Most websites are now offering video in HTML5 now. I've had only one or two sites where I couldn't view videos on.

User avatar
Topic Author
RooseveltG
Posts: 671
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: The Rust Belt

The iPad touch

Post by RooseveltG » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:56 am

I think the ipad is slick, but I was surprised by how much it weighs when you try to hold it for a while with one hand. (Maybe I am a weakling).

I was given an ipod touch by a friend who never used it after buying an iphone. I traveled extensively with it this winter overseas and found it absolutely indispensable. I carried my music, my books through the Kindle app, the Wall St. Journal, NY Times, stock market app (just for fun, which it was because the market was going up), e-mail and a currency converter. Using the hotel's wifi and even signals that I could snag outside coffee shops, I updated the Journal, Times and calculator daily. I just added a pedometer app and now can subtract one other item I carry.

My Blackberry Bold was absolutely worthless overseas. I could not download mail over wifi, etc. My wife's iphone worked like my ipod and I will be swapping my Blackberry for an iphone when the new version comes out this summer.

So for now, I am sticking with the ipod and lusting after the ipad. It is sexy and cool, but at the end of the day, I would rather just read on a laptop that sits on my kitchen table.

Roosevelt.

jebmke
Posts: 9983
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Post by jebmke » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:14 pm

Indices wrote:
Allan wrote:What can you actually do with an iPad?
I think it would make a good drinks' tray.
apparently so

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/ptech/04/0 ... tml?hpt=T2
Some users say laying the iPad on a flat surface causes Wi-Fi connections to cut out.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
Driver
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 3:18 pm

Post by Driver » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:49 pm

southerndoc wrote:
Driver wrote:I'm not getting one. I'll probably end up getting the HP Slate once it's released. No Flash support on the iPad made the decision for me. Just found out about the <a href="http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/Voodoo-Blo ... ">Slate</a> today.
Flash is a dying media. HTML5 will replace it.
HTML5 might replace Flash (for video only, not apps) in the future. However, I need a device I can use now, not in a few years time.

User avatar
runthetrails
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:51 pm
Location: Tennessee

Post by runthetrails » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:14 pm

I got to play with one today and thought it was a nice toy, but way too rich for my blood at the current price point.

neverknow
Posts: 2392
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:45 am

Post by neverknow » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:10 pm

..
Last edited by neverknow on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stratton
Posts: 11083
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Puget Sound

Post by stratton » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Gallery of iPad wallpaper pranks such as a broken screen, spinning beach ball etc. :lol:

http://gizmodo.com/5507614/

Paul

Beezthree
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:16 pm

Post by Beezthree » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:58 pm

renditt wrote:Got my iPad today. I love to serve the web sitting on my couch and this is just the perfect way to do it (actually writing this on the iPad). This will be another huge success for Apple, the screen is just unbelievable!
except that you can't read it in bright daylight conditions. which is, ya know, kind of important if you think about it.

apple dropped the ball a little on this one. not that it matters to their bottom line, as hordes of people seem to buy most anything that company releases.

i bet the 3rd generation ipad will be nice though.

User avatar
Bob B
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:52 pm

Post by Bob B » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:50 pm

I won't be buying an iPad, but I applaud Apple for jump starting the tablet computer. Don't we all agree that this is the direction the portable computer needs to go (thin, light, good touch screen, powerful but not power hungry)? It will take several more generations on both the Apple and PC platforms to get it right. But, Apple has set the bar for now and I can't wait to see where we are a year or so from now. It will be interesting to see what HP does with the Slate in the next few weeks/months.
Regards, | Bob | Wiki

SP-diceman
Posts: 3968
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:17 am

Post by SP-diceman » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:47 pm

Im waiting for Microsoft.

I hear the IVista is killer.


Thanks
SP-diceman

User avatar
Driver
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 3:18 pm

Post by Driver » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:24 pm

SP-diceman wrote:Im waiting for Microsoft.

I hear the IVista is killer.


Thanks
SP-diceman
What's Ivista? Is that another name for the Microsoft Courier tablet?

User avatar
bearwolf
Posts: 1718
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 12:34 am
Location: Oklahoma

Post by bearwolf » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:30 pm

SP-diceman wrote:Im waiting for Microsoft.

I hear the IVista is killer.


Thanks
SP-diceman
I've been waiting for Microsoft since 1984. Still not impressed.

BearWolf

Milo
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:24 pm

Post by Milo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:52 pm

I think all it would take to compete with the iPad is for someone to put an IPS panel (the iPad screen technology) in a netbook. You would then have a real computer with a beautiful 10" screen. Much better than the junk TN panels in use today. Compared to the iPad, it would have more powerful processor, more memory, more storage, USB ports, flash playback, HDMI port for HD video playback, etc. And it would still cost less than the cheapest iPad.

And you wouldn't have to use one hand to hold it up while you read this post.

User avatar
Driver
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 3:18 pm

Post by Driver » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:31 pm

Milo wrote:I think all it would take to compete with the iPad is for someone to put an IPS panel (the iPad screen technology) in a netbook. You would then have a real computer with a beautiful 10" screen. Much better than the junk TN panels in use today. Compared to the iPad, it would have more powerful processor, more memory, more storage, USB ports, flash playback, HDMI port for HD video playback, etc. And it would still cost less than the cheapest iPad.

And you wouldn't have to use one hand to hold it up while you read this post.
That's pretty much the HP Slate. However, the touch interface and the actual battery life are the big questions.

User avatar
Hat
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:27 pm

Post by Hat » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:33 pm

1. No USB (Apple, give up the proprietary dock connector already)
2. No SD slot
3. Non-replaceable battery

Milo
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:24 pm

Post by Milo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:08 am

Driver wrote:
Milo wrote:I think all it would take to compete with the iPad is for someone to put an IPS panel (the iPad screen technology) in a netbook. You would then have a real computer with a beautiful 10" screen. Much better than the junk TN panels in use today. Compared to the iPad, it would have more powerful processor, more memory, more storage, USB ports, flash playback, HDMI port for HD video playback, etc. And it would still cost less than the cheapest iPad.

And you wouldn't have to use one hand to hold it up while you read this post.
That's pretty much the HP Slate. However, the touch interface and the actual battery life are the big questions.
Does the HP Slate have an IPS or TN panel? I haven't seen anything to say one way or the other in any of the specs I've seen for the Slate.

User avatar
stratton
Posts: 11083
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Puget Sound

Post by stratton » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:13 am

This is one of those devices where waiting for the 2.0 version might be a good idea.

Paul

User avatar
Driver
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 3:18 pm

Post by Driver » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:16 am

I can't find any specs about the panel either. Engadget posted up specs yesterday, but no detail on the panel. Lets hope they don't cheap out and go TN.

Milo
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:24 pm

Post by Milo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:24 am

Driver wrote:I can't find any specs about the panel either. Engadget posted up specs yesterday, but no detail on the panel. Lets hope they don't cheap out and go TN.
The panel and the rumored battery life are my concerns with the HP Slate. Apple really made a smart decision using an IPS panel on the iPad. People that don't really consider or know of such things will compare the viewing experience they are used to on their TN paneled laptop to what they see with the iPad and will be impressed by the iPad.

I've seen five hour battery life on the HP Slate. That would be disappointing if true.

User avatar
wander
Posts: 2825
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Post by wander » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:44 am

Buying? not for now. I rather wait for awhile. I have the money. I can buy it any time, so I do not need to rush for it. I guess it is just a big itouch which I've already owned.
I heard stories that now people are having problems with the IPad's Wifi. They have to stand near by the router to get good reception.

User avatar
Driver
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 3:18 pm

Post by Driver » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:12 am

Milo wrote:
Driver wrote:I can't find any specs about the panel either. Engadget posted up specs yesterday, but no detail on the panel. Lets hope they don't cheap out and go TN.
The panel and the rumored battery life are my concerns with the HP Slate. Apple really made a smart decision using an IPS panel on the iPad. People that don't really consider or know of such things will compare the viewing experience they are used to on their TN paneled laptop to what they see with the iPad and will be impressed by the iPad.

I've seen five hour battery life on the HP Slate. That would be disappointing if true.
Yup, that's what I've read too. However, I wonder if it will be worse than 5. The hardware specs are definately higher than the IPad and it's running a full OS so unless the battery is bigger or a lot more effiecient then battery life will be definately less than the iPad.

User avatar
southerndoc
Posts: 1091
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Atlanta

Post by southerndoc » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:18 am

Beezthree wrote:except that you can't read it in bright daylight conditions. which is, ya know, kind of important if you think about it.

apple dropped the ball a little on this one. not that it matters to their bottom line, as hordes of people seem to buy most anything that company releases.

i bet the 3rd generation ipad will be nice though.
Interesting. I haven't had this problem. I was reading it outside on a sunny day the day I purchased it.

There is a setting to crank up the screen brightness. Apple ships it with it only at 50%. Even the auto setting changes based on your preference for brightness. Try it with the screen brightness increased.

superthan34
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 9:17 am

Post by superthan34 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:27 pm

Driver wrote:
Milo wrote:I think all it would take to compete with the iPad is for someone to put an IPS panel (the iPad screen technology) in a netbook. You would then have a real computer with a beautiful 10" screen. Much better than the junk TN panels in use today. Compared to the iPad, it would have more powerful processor, more memory, more storage, USB ports, flash playback, HDMI port for HD video playback, etc. And it would still cost less than the cheapest iPad.

And you wouldn't have to use one hand to hold it up while you read this post.
That's pretty much the HP Slate. However, the touch interface and the actual battery life are the big questions.
I believe the cost of the touch screen alone on the IPAD was slated (no pun intended) to have cost Apple $130 alone, so I don't know about the cheap part.

User avatar
Driver
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 3:18 pm

Post by Driver » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:12 pm

superthan34 wrote:
Driver wrote:
Milo wrote:I think all it would take to compete with the iPad is for someone to put an IPS panel (the iPad screen technology) in a netbook. You would then have a real computer with a beautiful 10" screen. Much better than the junk TN panels in use today. Compared to the iPad, it would have more powerful processor, more memory, more storage, USB ports, flash playback, HDMI port for HD video playback, etc. And it would still cost less than the cheapest iPad.

And you wouldn't have to use one hand to hold it up while you read this post.
That's pretty much the HP Slate. However, the touch interface and the actual battery life are the big questions.
I believe the cost of the touch screen alone on the IPAD was slated (no pun intended) to have cost Apple $130 alone, so I don't know about the cheap part.
The screen in the iPad is an IPS. I think BusinessWeek said it costs them $95 for the screen. I'm not sure who makes it for them though.

Does anyone know how diry the screen gets after a day of use? Do finger prints affect the clarity of the screen much? Haven't had a chance to mess with one yet.

mhalley
Posts: 7776
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Post by mhalley » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:24 pm

The screen gets pretty dirty with fingerprint smudges after use. I use a microfiber cloth to clean it periodically. Will be getting one of the clear protective covers soon, most of them are still on pre order so haven't had a chance to see any reviews of the various ones yet. The one available at Amazon.com had one bad review about it not fitting well.
In spite of the screen getting dirty, it is actually not that noticable while you are using it, the smudges are much more noticable after you turn it off.
Maybe the touch screen resolution will bring about a new era in glove wearing, like the ladys used to wear back in the day. Or maybe we will all wear one glove like Michael Jackson.
Mike

BlueMac
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:53 pm

I bought mine today

Post by BlueMac » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:01 pm

I have a Macbook Pro, iPhone, and my sister has a Touch. I bought my 32GB iPad today and the experience on the iPad is totally different than any of the before mentioned devices. And I love it!

PS I typed up this reply on my iPad :D

Post Reply