Are you buying an iPad?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RooseveltG

Are you buying an iPad?

Post by RooseveltG » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:26 am

I have used an iPad touch along with my Blackberry and found it great for travel. With a wifi network, I could download the NY Times, Wall St. Journal and e-books on an Amazon Kindle App. It sure beat dragging a book around during the day.

I am thinking of buying an iPad this week and wonder what other tech gurus think about this product.

Thanks.

Roosevelt.

RF

Post by RF » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:12 am

I'll probably wait. Good luck finding one this week. lloks like the supply is rather tight
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10 ... .html[url]

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:32 am

There is much discussion of this and an FAQ at the MacInTouch forum. I heartily recommend that forum. I've followed MacInTouch from the eighties (before the Internet days it was a regular feature in the long-gone MacWeek).

FAQ here: http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/ipad/faq.html

Discussion here: http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/ipad/

MacInTouch is very good. In effect it is a 100% moderated forum...

I'm not buying one. I have and love an iPod touch. I just, as in last week, replaced my 2005-vintage Mac Mini (1 GB ram, 100 GB disk, PPC processor) with a brand new one (4 GB ram, 500 GB disk, Intel processor). I'm pretty sure today's iPad can't hack it as an desktop Mac replacement--I use Adobe Photoshop Elements, an application that records radio programs off the air via USB gadget, external FireWire disk drives, video editing, DVD burning, etc. I have limited resources, can't justify the overlap between iPod touch, iPad, and desktop.

My wife is starting to mumble things about a Kindle--she flies almost every month and was mightily impressed by a fellow-passenger's Kindle--but I don't think an iPad is a Kindle replacement simply because of battery life. Nominal 10 hours versus nominal 1 week. It's the difference between having to drag a charger a long and not having to.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:11 am

nisiprius wrote:My wife is starting to mumble things about a Kindle--she flies almost every month and was mightily impressed by a fellow-passenger's Kindle--but I don't think an iPad is a Kindle replacement simply because of battery life. Nominal 10 hours versus nominal 1 week. It's the difference between having to drag a charger a long and not having to.
If your wife can wait a month or two I might have a kindle DX for sale. I'm waiting to see how the iPad performs. I'm sure there would be special pricing involved if you were to throw in a subscription to Nisiprius Investment newsletter. :D I like the fact that you can do so much more as well as read books on it.

BearWolf

bearwolf

Re: Are you buying an iPad?

Post by bearwolf » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:15 am

RooseveltG wrote:I have used an iPad touch along with my Blackberry and found it great for travel. With a wifi network, I could download the NY Times, Wall St. Journal and e-books on an Amazon Kindle App. It sure beat dragging a book around during the day.

I am thinking of buying an iPad this week and wonder what other tech gurus think about this product.

Thanks.

Roosevelt.
I'm probably going to get one, but I'm waiting for the 3G version. If you get one now it won't be 3G enabled. You may not want to activate 3G but if you change your mind and don't have one with 3G built in you won't be able to. Also with the 3G model you can sign up for and cancel service without a contract, so if you happen to be traveling you can sign up for a month and then cancel the next month. My hope is that they will have a combined data plan for people with iPhone and iPad so I don't have to have 2 data plans.

BearWolf

paulsiu

Post by paulsiu » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:16 am

No, even though I am a tech person, there is a high cost on being an early adapter. You end up paying more than everyone else and end up dealing with bugs that gets worked out by later revision. Buy if you want to be the cool kid of the block or if you have a specific need, but frankly I can wait.

On the other hand, I guess a ipad is far cheaper than a BMW for status symbol.

Auream

Post by Auream » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:23 am

Pre-ordered a 32GB WiFi only model. The way I see it is I have a MacBook Pro now that I mostly use "tethered" to a big monitor. When I do use it away from my desk, its almost always just for web browsing or music. Hence, I'm gonna replace the MacBook Pro with a Mac mini, and use the iPad for when I want portability.

Tabs

Post by Tabs » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:34 am

Despite the fact that I've pointed out the lukewarm reception to the iPad announcement, I admit I do kind of lust for one.

Still, my electronics decisions are based on evaluating what I need and envision for my digital life, and then evaluating which devices out there will best meet those needs. Not the other way around.

And right now, I simply have no need for a large tablet of any kind. But I'll wait-and-see to see how this and others develops.

If nothing else, this is an interesting niche to watch. Truly, this is the year of the tablets.
Last edited by Tabs on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erwin

Post by Erwin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:38 am

I live overseas, thus I suppose that an iPad makes no sense. Right?
I do own a kindle and download books through my computer with no difficulty.
Erwin

Cloud

Post by Cloud » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:55 am

I have a touch.. Won't be getting a pad... My lap top works too well to justify getting an Ipad. Plus I'm not a fan of Apple's limited software. I can run anything on a PC.

GammaPoint

Post by GammaPoint » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:00 am

Cloud wrote:I have a touch.. Won't be getting a pad... My lap top works too well to justify getting an Ipad. Plus I'm not a fan of Apple's limited software. I can run anything on a PC.
I try to avoid Apple products because I prefer the freedom of open-source software and try to avoid the higher Apple prices, so I won't be buying an iPad.

However, I do need a new iPod since my current 5-year old Nano can no longer hold a charge for over 45 minutes. I'll probably get a Touch this year.

vgoel

Post by vgoel » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:11 am

I own an iPhone 3G and an iPod Touch.
I didn't pre-order an iPad but I am going to try to buy one on the first day at a local Best Buy. I wanted to wait a few months but found that the lust made any resistance futile.

@vgoel

bhoy

Post by bhoy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:21 am

There is a ton of open source available for Apple.

Also, higher Apple prices? Maybe for the computers themselves, but the Apple software is a lot cheaper that most PC software. The price for computer is justified, in my opinion. I installed Windows in bootcamp and got a blue-screen in two days, and I only use Windows once a week.

p14175

Post by p14175 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:36 am

I hear there are several companies coming out with tablet PCs very soon so it might be worth holding off on the iPad until you see what the other companies come up with.

Being a college student I am looking for a tablet PC I can use to take notes in my own handwriting, not in some weird character recognition PDA shorthand, and draw pictures.

I hear that Kindles are now being used for college texts.

Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:38 am

However, I do need a new iPod since my current 5-year old Nano can no longer hold a charge for over 45 minutes. I'll probably get a Touch this year.
I just replaced the battery myself on my 5 year old Classic. I think the Nano's are too small to do it yourself, but I bet there is some enterprising small company on the internet that will do it for you for $25 or so. Even if you go ahead and get the Touch because you want one, it would be a shame to just toss the Nano because of battery issues. I have a Nano and the Classic--use both every day under different circumstances.

GammaPoint

Post by GammaPoint » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Puakinekine wrote: I just replaced the battery myself on my 5 year old Classic. I think the Nano's are too small to do it yourself, but I bet there is some enterprising small company on the internet that will do it for you for $25 or so. Even if you go ahead and get the Touch because you want one, it would be a shame to just toss the Nano because of battery issues. I have a Nano and the Classic--use both every day under different circumstances.
I surely won't toss the Nano away, since it doesn't take much space to store it or anything. However, I don't think a battery replacement on it is really worthwhile. An iPod Nano (2nd generation) with only 2GB of space is only worth about $30 on Ebay anyway, so I wouldn't try to put a new battery in it for $25.

Oh, and I forgot, in addition to the battery not holding it's charge it also no longer turns off. So you have to start your 45 minutes right after you disconnect it from the charger :lol:

I wouldn't mind having internet connectivity (where available) through the Touch anyway. I hear iPhones and Touches may be recognized out-of-the-box in the upcoming Ubuntu release so I'm not worried about this issue anymore either.

leod

Post by leod » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:43 pm

no but i'm planning to buy a grill. spring is coming! :P

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:53 pm

Since my electronics budget is "fixed", I'd rather use those dollars to purchase a notebook over an iPad.

RM

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:01 pm

Puakinekine wrote:I just replaced the battery myself on my 5 year old Classic.
A few years ago I replaced the battery on an iPod Mini from an Internet company that provided tools and directions. I maybe saved $30 over having Apple do it. An honest product with good directions and I was proud of my achievement but even so, I would never ever ever do it again. Some very, very dicey moments when I wasn't sure I could get the board and other guts out without damaging anything, and some dicier moments when I wasn't sure I could get them back in. I'm quittin' while I'm ahead.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:01 pm

nisiprius wrote:My wife is starting to mumble things about a Kindle--she flies almost every month and was mightily impressed by a fellow-passenger's Kindle--but I don't think an iPad is a Kindle replacement simply because of battery life. Nominal 10 hours versus nominal 1 week. It's the difference between having to drag a charger a long and not having to.
Hi,
The charger for a Kindle is just a cable about six feet long. It takes up very little space.
Best Wishes, | Joe

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:04 pm

JMacDonald wrote:Hi,
The charger for a Kindle is just a cable about six feet long. It takes up very little space.
Just a cable about 3 feet long, a small charging brick about 1 inch by 2 inches, and the need to remember to charge it nightly. I would be OK if I could just remember to plug the damn thing in. About half the time I forget to plug in my iPhone and have to run around with it on the car power adapter the rest of the day because it never really charges in the amount of time I'm able to leave it on the charger.

Still the iPad does so much more than the Kindle I think it will be worth making the switch, and maybe I can train myself to charge it.

BearWolf

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:06 pm

Cloud wrote:I have a touch.. Won't be getting a pad... My lap top works too well to justify getting an Ipad. Plus I'm not a fan of Apple's limited software. I can run anything on a PC.
I guess it depends what you want to run on the portable. We have been spending a lot of time in hospital and doctor office waiting rooms the last year. Web surfing, e-mail, e-books, and some games make up 99% of what I have needed recently. For the size, weight and functionality I think the iPad is going to be perfect.

BearWolf

vgoel

Bought an iPad this morning.

Post by vgoel » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:18 pm

After coding an iPad version of my app yesterday, running it on the simulator, I just had to go get one this morning. After waiting in line for 2 hours at the Palo Alto store, I was able to score a 32GB model. There was a father/daughter team ahead of me in the line who had flown in from Australia.

I would have liked a 16GB model, though.

First impressions:
Phenomenal screen quality.
Very fast.
Screen can be read in the sunlight but not well.
Battery life: have been using it for 6 hours, 45% battery left.
External speakers: very good sound quality.
Bought Numbers, the spreadsheet app from Apple and Bento, the database app from Filemaker. All free iPad apps that I have downloaded are very good. NPR, WSJ, NYT, USA Today, BBC - all look very good.

susze

Ipad Charger comparability??

Post by susze » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:29 pm

Are you able to charge your ipad with your iphone/ipod charger? i noticed the wattage maybe different, so I imagine that it may take a little longer but does the Software allow it?

Thanks

vgoel

Re: Ipad Charger comparability??

Post by vgoel » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:40 pm

susze wrote:Are you able to charge your ipad with your iphone/ipod charger? i noticed the wattage maybe different, so I imagine that it may take a little longer but does the Software allow it?

Thanks
It came with a power adapter that's bigger than the one for iPhone but smaller than the one that came with my MacBook Pro.

iPad's charger is rated at 10W.

Incidentally, the battery life after 6:15 hours usage is at 50%.

@vgoel

susze

Post by susze » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:46 pm

Thanks vgoel, does it work when you use your iphone charger?

vgoel

Post by vgoel » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:56 pm

susze wrote:Thanks vgoel, does it work when you use your iphone charger?
I have not tried it and probably won't. The only time I have visited a genius at the Apple store was when my MacBook Pro was not getting charged. It turned out that I had been mistakenly using my son's MacBook charger because it was lying conveniently where I had been working. It was rated lower.

While waiting in line outside the Apple store, one of their employees came by to say something about the charger. I wasn't paying attention. Incidentally, Apple employees kept us fortified with coffee, water and donuts. Very festive atmosphere. Jobs showed up a couple of hours after I had left.

@vgoel

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi,
It will be interesting to hear what the everyone thinks of their new IPad.
Best Wishes, | Joe

Tristrex

Post by Tristrex » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:47 pm

susze wrote:Thanks vgoel, does it work when you use your iphone charger?
Not all USB ports are made alike apparently. This article breaks it down: http://www.macworld.com/article/150356/ ... rging.html

Paladin

Post by Paladin » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:52 pm

bhoy wrote:There is a ton of open source available for Apple.

Also, higher Apple prices? Maybe for the computers themselves, but the Apple software is a lot cheaper that most PC software. The price for computer is justified, in my opinion. I installed Windows in bootcamp and got a blue-screen in two days, and I only use Windows once a week.
I have installed Windows on a ThinkPad and I have NEVER seen a blue screen. Perhaps it was your installation? If you use Windows once a week you could not have got a blue screen on day two.

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:55 pm

I have NEVER seen a blue screen.
Me neither, not since NT.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

Paladin

Post by Paladin » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:04 pm

Sidney wrote:
I have NEVER seen a blue screen.
Me neither, not since NT.
If only people understood that the same chips are in Apple and PC computers.

TheEternalVortex

Post by TheEternalVortex » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:48 pm

Paladin wrote:

I have installed Windows on a ThinkPad and I have NEVER seen a blue screen. Perhaps it was your installation? If you use Windows once a week you could not have got a blue screen on day two.
By default most installations of Windows will never show a blue screen. Instead they will just automatically reboot (a reasonable solution for most people).

Of course even so it's very rare that this happens. Usually it's because of a bad driver.

TheEternalVortex

Re: Bought an iPad this morning.

Post by TheEternalVortex » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:48 pm

vgoel wrote: External speakers: very good sound quality.
This made me laugh.

superthan34

Post by superthan34 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:53 pm

I did pre order one from the web, so I didn't get to stand in line forever. I really am enjoying the functionality of the iPad, and I believe I will get good use out of it for both work and pleasure.

Paladin

Post by Paladin » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:29 pm

TheEternalVortex wrote:
Paladin wrote:

By default most installations of Windows will never show a blue screen. Instead they will just automatically reboot (a reasonable solution for most people).

Of course even so it's very rare that this happens. Usually it's because of a bad driver.
I know. :)

The poster got one after 2 days! I have never had a machine automatically reboot either. I agree that it's usually a driver but that's less true with the 64 bit drivers now. I hesitate to suggest that the poster's problems might be due to an Apple driver!

Die Hard

Post by Die Hard » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:15 pm

Nope, I bought a kayak instead.

By the way, I am deciding on whether to buy an iPod touch for myself. I bought one for my daughter two years ago and she has gotten the money's worth. She loves it!!

I just don't know if I would use it as much as she does. I haven't really gotten into a long discussion with her about it.

I would like other forum adult opinions as to why I would like an iPod touch. In other words, what do you like most about your iPod touch?
The best way to teach your children about money is to not have any.............

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:28 pm

My wife has several ipod classics, and I picked up a Touch for myself (got it with Amex Points). I actually hardly ever listen to music, but the functionality of the Touch, with the wifi internet, multiple apps, games, kindle for the touch, make it a very nice little device. I use it at work every day for the medical apps, plus use a database program (hanDbase). Use the Vanguard app for a nice quick networth look with all my different 401ks etc. I got my IPAD in the mail today, haven't had a chance to play with it much, but the Kindle app looks great so far. Wife is playing with it at home right now, wish I had brought it to work with me to play with lol.
Mike
Last edited by mhalley on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:31 pm

I own 2 desktops 1 laptop, one itouch and 1 ipod,,,,,its already too much too keep up with,,,No Ipad :D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

stratton

Post by stratton » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:24 am

You're discovering the difference between a device designed to be a "book" replacement and is really good at it versus a more capable, but generic device like an iPad which has a few downsides. A downside of dedicated devices is you could end up with lots of them. Laptop, book reader, music player, cell phone, camera...

Everything has its trade offs. :)

Paul

AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:33 am

I mentioned to my niece that I was thinking of getting a Kindle so she said "Why not an IPAD?". I watched Charlie Rose on Friday and also read more about the IPAD later. I am still thinking that if I want a BOOK reader a Kindle which is less than half as heavy as an IPAD is a better choice for me.

stratton

Post by stratton » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:47 am

AlwaysaQ wrote:I mentioned to my niece that I was thinking of getting a Kindle so she said "Why not an IPAD?". I watched Charlie Rose on Friday and also read more about the IPAD later. I am still thinking that if I want a BOOK reader a Kindle which is less than half as heavy as an IPAD is a better choice for me.
I have a friend who listens to radio archives on her Kindle and uses for looking at traffic maps. It's very slow for things like traffic maps, but if you want a looky to see the general traffic issues it's great.

Paul

MWCA

Post by MWCA » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:35 pm

Im waiting for the next gen.
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.

mathwhiz

Post by mathwhiz » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:13 pm

There is a kindle ap for the ipad that has been released for the launch so you can buy books directly from amazon.com to view on the ipad just like you could with the kindle ap for the iphone or ipod touch. I looked at it on the itunes store. It looks really neat with full page text and color graphics optimized for the ipad.

The issue between buying a kindle/ipad really is about whether the ipad is too heavy for you to use a book reader for long periods and if you prefer "e-ink" over the ipad's lcd backlit screen which some people don't like for extended periods of reading cause it's too much like looking at a computer.

Tiekoon

Post by Tiekoon » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:23 pm

YES…….I will purchase one but, only after release of 3G model and any bugs worked out.

Personally, my one Apple lust is for the introduction of a new iPhone on the Verizon network. Rumors abound this may happen in late 2010. Yeaaa……

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:29 pm

Nah, I prefer my ipod touch to fit in my pocket.

bluto

Post by bluto » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:37 pm

No. I don't see how the iPad would be useful for me.

Allan

Post by Allan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:46 pm

What can you actually do with an iPad?

chaz

Post by chaz » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:36 pm

an iPad is a nice toy.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

ClaireTN

Post by ClaireTN » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:51 pm

I'm planning to get the 16GB 3G model some time this summer. I originally wanted an iPod Touch because I wanted all of the functions of an iPhone without the phone, but held off when I heard about the iPad. I like the bigger screen size, which makes it more useable for watching videos, reading books and websites, etc. It's a good size for me too. I don't need to put it in my pocket. I want something that fits nicely in my briefcase/book bag.

I know some people are complaining that it's just a big iPod Touch. The funny thing for me is that a big iPod Touch is exactly what I want!