Vacuums for Pet Owners

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThatGuy

Vacuums for Pet Owners

Post by ThatGuy » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:51 pm

The steam cleaner topic has me thinking. I have a German Shedder (Shepherd), who not only likes to track dirt inside but leave hair everywhere. I've invested in a Furminator, but let's be honest, I can't groom her everyday. If I neglect to groom her for a week, well, the hair would make Rapunzel jealous.

I dislike carpet, as it grosses me out to think of all the dirt, dead skin, and hair stuff in those conniving little loops of plastic, but hardwood is not an economic option at the moment. So, what vacuum cleaners do you folks use/recommend to deal with excessive dog hair?

I'd need some really convincing stories to spring for something as expensive as a Dyson, but I'm willing to be persuaded as my "inherited" cleaner just isn't up to snuff.

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:56 pm

My parents have a dog and a cat and finally broke down and spent $600 on an Oreck Platinum. They love it. It is incredible, I must say. Expensive, but it absolutely works great. Better than any other vacuum I've ever used. You could get cheaper Orecks if $600 is out of your price range (it's out of mine).

http://www.oreck.com/oreckxluprights/

sgr000

Vaccums vs pets

Post by sgr000 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:01 pm

I'm a cat man, myself.

Most cats are deathly afraid of the vacuum cleaner. I mean, it's big, it moves fast, makes a lot of noise, drags your human around behind it... you'd be afraid too of a machine like that, in proportion to your size. So generally in the past I've gone for quiet vacuums, more than anything else. Or "encouraged" the cat to take a nap in the bedroom while I vacuumed elsewhere.

The main exception was one of my mother's cats who would always run toward the sound of the vacuum. She'd plop down in front of it and demand to be vacuumed for 10-15min. Apparently the sucking and pulling on her fur was quite pleasurable, once she learned the noise wasn't dangerous. Kind of like a really good brushing. So you had to vacuum the cat before anything else. It kept the shedding down, anyway.

No idea how to train a cat like that deliberately, though.

Ron

Post by Ron » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Well, like it or not, I do have a Dyson DC25 Animal which I've had for a few years (yes, I am a male, and yes, I do the carpet vacuum duties).

We have always had two Shelties (we do rescue work) in the house. Although they are easy to take care of (just a quick brush, once a week) they do shed all year long.

It's amazing how much I "pull" from the carpet on a weekly basis. Of the many units we've had over the last 35+ years of owning the breed, this cleaner has done the best in "harvesting" hair from carpets/furniture.

- Ron

FinanceGeek

Post by FinanceGeek » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:48 pm

Miele's white pearl canister is pricey, but when coupled with its power head attachment does well at vacuuming up pet fur.

stratton

Re: Vaccums vs pets

Post by stratton » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:49 pm

sgr000 wrote:The main exception was one of my mother's cats who would always run toward the sound of the vacuum. She'd plop down in front of it and demand to be vacuumed for 10-15min. Apparently the sucking and pulling on her fur was quite pleasurable, once she learned the noise wasn't dangerous. Kind of like a really good brushing. So you had to vacuum the cat before anything else. It kept the shedding down, anyway.
My Grandmother had a long haired cat she trained while a kitten to allow vacuuming. The cat really liked it on a hot day. No air conditioning in their place during the 60s.

Paul

auntie

Post by auntie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:02 pm

As a multi-dog owner and rescue dog foster parent I went through a lot of expensive and not so expensive machines.

Finally I learned the routine. First the rake to get the big pieces. Sticks, rocks, hunks of rope, etc. Then the shop-vac. I was amazed at what a good job the shop-vac could do.
High risk does not equal high reward. It equals high risk of no reward.

rustymutt

flooring

Post by rustymutt » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:54 pm

Replace your carpet with ceramic title. Get a good wet mop, and vac.

NateH

Post by NateH » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:25 pm

My parents had a Belgian Sheppard, and we were going over to visit with our new baby. Mom vacuumed so the little one could have tummy time. I asked if I could bring my new Dyson and re-vacuum, just to see.

I was amazed at the hair and 'dust' it sucked out of the carpet. My non-dog-loving wife was completely grossed out. Mom and Dad bought a Dyson the next time they were on sale at Sears.

dphmd

Post by dphmd » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:46 pm

In addition to my upright vac, I recently got a Shark handheld that does an outstanding job of pulling the fur off the furniture. It's also good for a quick sweep down the baseboards between full-scale vacuuming.
Discipline is freedom.

FarmGirl

Post by FarmGirl » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:00 pm

My vote is for the Dyson. I haven't owned many vaccums over the years because I have always bought quality, but I can tell you no vaccum I have owned pulls the carpet and the gunk in it, including dog hair up like a Dyson. Plus, it can be completely torn apart and washed without much hassle. My mother in law has always told me your floor is only as clean as your vaccum, and as much as I would like this not to be true, it is. :roll: I love seeing what I am getting, makes using it very rewarding and the 5 year warranty is a nice feeling although I have had no reason to use it.

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:07 pm

We have an American Eskimo dog (long, white fur everywhere) and my girlfriend and I have been very pleased with the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser.

http://www.amazon.com/Bissell-3920-Dual ... 704&sr=8-1

It definitely earns its name.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:12 pm

Another vote for Dyson. It makes short work of Golden Retriever furballs and it's good for carpet, tile, or wood.

Dagwood

Post by Dagwood » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:27 pm

We have always had two constants in our home: pets & allergies.

Years ago, my parents started buying Electrolux vacuums. Then they gave me one of the first ones they bought in 1972 when I got my first place. It still worked great, and we still have it. Needless to say, when we bought our house we got another one. Now they are sold under the "Aerus" name, but the machines are basically the same -- they clean thoroughly and pretty much last forever. And they do a tremendous job of pulling up hair, fur, allergens, etc. Our "new" machine is now 10 years old and still running fine, fwiw, and the 1972 machine just got a new cord and a second new hose. I like things that last.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:31 pm

Rainbow. Costs a lot though. Still can't believe I bought it.

I am always amazed at the dog hair and dirt I dump out when done. It actually cleans.

RJB

Post by RJB » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:24 pm

retiredjg wrote:Rainbow. Costs a lot though. Still can't believe I bought it.

I am always amazed at the dog hair and dirt I dump out when done. It actually cleans.
We bought a Rainbow off of Cragslist and saved a lot of money. You have to be careful when doing that for multiple reasons.

The first time that I used the Rainbow, I had first vacuumed our entire house with our standard vacuum cleaner, which is HEPA raited. I was absolutely amazed at all of the other stuff the Rainbow sucked up. The Rainbow is not quite as easy to take up and down several flights of stairs. But it sure does a super thorough job of vacuuming.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:43 pm

RJB wrote:The first time that I used the Rainbow, I had first vacuumed our entire house with our standard vacuum cleaner, which is HEPA raited. I was absolutely amazed at all of the other stuff the Rainbow sucked up.
That's what convinced me to buy it. Used my Oreck, then followed with the Rainbow. Picked up lots of stuff left by the Oreck.

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:05 am

I'm OK with not getting every last hair out of the carpet. But when little Rex pees, yarks, or deposits some other substance into your carpet you might wish you had more than just a vacuum. I personally couldn't live without my Hoover Steam Vac, even though I'm not quite sure why they put steam in the name.

Ducks

Re: flooring

Post by Ducks » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:11 am

rcasement wrote:Replace your carpet with ceramic title. Get a good wet mop, and vac.
This. If you're handy, laying tile is an easy DIY job, especially if you get 18x18 or larger tiles.

I have two Bissell Healthy Home vacuums: The first one was an Open Box at Best Buy and cost about $180. I bought a 2nd one with Sears GC's from my credit card, so it cost me $11 ;). I'm quite happy with both of them. Note: I have two sheddirific cats; no dogs.
Getting our Ducks in a row since 2008.

mdavis

Miele

Post by mdavis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:17 am

We have the Miele Capricorn. It's expensive, but I believe it's still the only *truly* sealed HEPA...most of the units that claim to be HEPA have a HEPA filter, but leak in the hose or in the attachment to the vacuum...the Miele was tested by an independent lab to show that it did not degrade the air quality...

And the thing works extremely well...we use it along with a Gary's Vacuflo built-in...

I have a friend with two large dogs who switched from Dyson to Miele and likes the Miele a lot better.

If I recall, Rainbow was a solid brand as well.

-mark

Ron

Post by Ron » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:00 am

epilnk wrote:Hoover Steam Vac...
I also have one and do the carpets 2x year. However, if you don't get the carpet well cleaned (e.g. pet hair) before you use the Hoover, you will get a lot of "little balls of fur" from the front scrubber brushes - as you well know, along with clogging of the front chute, since the pickup is very narrow.

- Ron

Topic Author
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:17 am

Thank you for all of the responses. Overstock currently has a Dyson DC25, refurbished, for about $350, so I think I'll go that route. If it can actually get the house clean, money well spent.
rcasement wrote:Replace your carpet with ceramic title. Get a good wet mop, and vac.
I'm not a fan of tile. It's brittle, and the worst thermally conductive flooring out there. Not to mention all the stuff that gets caught in the grout. Did my own concrete countertops in an effort to avoid grout lines.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde

bhoy

Post by bhoy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:43 am

We have had the Dyson DC24 for about 2 years now and will never buy anything but a Dyson again. Even with it's small footprint, we lived in a small apartment before buying our home, it has no problem with pet hair or any other cleanup, both on rugs and hardwood. We have two rescued Greyhounds, so not a bread with a huge hair problem, but think you are making a good decision with the Dyson. Also, as someone mentioned, we also wash parts. Easy take apart and assembly. Never smell an odor coming from the vac either, like you do with a lot of other brands.

bhoy

Ducks

Post by Ducks » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:13 am

ThatGuy wrote:I'm not a fan of tile. It's brittle, and the worst thermally conductive flooring out there. Not to mention all the stuff that gets caught in the grout. Did my own concrete countertops in an effort to avoid grout lines.
In that case, check out wood-look resilient flooring. We put some in our basement, not wanting to do real wood down there in case of flood, and man, it is AWESOME. It is a Congoleum product. Here is what it looks like in our basement, in the process of being laid down:
Last edited by Ducks on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:26 pm

That stuff looks better than I would have expected, Ducks. But, I'd be concerned about a large dog scratching it. Even if this one is well behaved indoors, the next one may not be.

I'm currently evaluating cork floors, as the ability to hide scratches and dimples appeals greatly.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:41 pm

ThatGuy wrote:I'm currently evaluating cork floors, as the ability to hide scratches and dimples appeals greatly.
I'd be interested in how they keep the cork from absorbing odors if you should find that out along the way.

Ducks

Post by Ducks » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:46 pm

You might ask a flooring person directly about scratching, but so far it seems as tough as nails.

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:59 pm

retiredjg wrote:
ThatGuy wrote:I'm currently evaluating cork floors, as the ability to hide scratches and dimples appeals greatly.
I'd be interested in how they keep the cork from absorbing odors if you should find that out along the way.
We've only had our cork for 6-8 months so too early to say on durability. And cats can retract their claws, unlike dogs. But so far so good with two boys and three cats, and cork in the kitchen, livingroom, hall, and entryway.

Soon after we replaced the floors and immediately after we got a new kitten, our oldest kitty developed a bladder infection. She alerted us to the problem in the predictable way. It turned out to be recurrent and refractory to treatment, which meant she had to provide information several times. Which inspired the new kitten to think, 'hey, this is way more convenient than the litter box'. So odor control is the biggest priority. So far so good. It's made me glad we didn't go with wood.

Linda

FarmGirl

Post by FarmGirl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:01 am

The wood look laminate (ie. Pergo) is impervious to dog toe nails. We have two Heelers (Australian Catttle Dogs) in the family that are littermates. When you put them together they go peeling across the floor, toe nails digging for all they are worth, circling and sliding with glee. They have never made so much as a scratch in the floor and it's been 3 years. Now the oak stair treads, those they scratch walking with care. As long as you can keep water away the laminate wood is a wonderful product.

Topic Author
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:03 pm

Heelers, what a wonderful breed. A friend had one growing up; and while my preference is for GSDs, I certainly see the appeal of Heelers. Come to think of it, I see the appeal in any furry pet, though.

I've seen lots of laminate torn to hell by rescue GSDs, so I'm curious how Pergo/etc. is impervious. Do they have super duper crystals from krypton coating or something?

Linda, is your cork sealed in some fashion to prevent the liquids/odor from penetrating? If so, does it add a noticeable sheen or texture to the cork?

Bear123

Pet Hair eraser

Post by Bear123 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:32 pm

Hi,
I like the Bissell Pet Hair eraser. I have a chow mix and I know about having large balls of hair all over the house.

lemme think

Post by lemme think » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:45 pm

I am domestically challenged, and after researching the iRobot Roomba, I purchased the Roomba professional series.

I have been amazed! We have two long haired cats, and this machine vacuums our entire downstairs every night (it's programmable). We have a mix of carpet, wood floors and ceramic tile, even an area rug with fringe, and our little robot can clean it all!!

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:52 pm

lemme think wrote:I am domestically challenged, and after researching the iRobot Roomba, I purchased the Roomba professional series.

I have been amazed! We have two long haired cats, and this machine vacuums our entire downstairs every night (it's programmable). We have a mix of carpet, wood floors and ceramic tile, even an area rug with fringe, and our little robot can clean it all!!
It must be driving your cats nuts!

FarmGirl

Post by FarmGirl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:56 pm

Yes, LOL, the laminate must have Kryptonite coating! :lol: I have no idea how it manages to hold up under the stress but it does. Ours is actually branded Harmonics and sold by Costco. Amazing stuff. I personally always prefer real to fake when possible, but this is one instance fake beats real hands down.

Used to own a German Shepard, I think these Heelers shed as bad if not worse, and since they are small, they consider the house their playground. Ours loves to play fetch in the house, since they are working dogs, this is training for herding. His nose will stay on the ball no matter where his back end goes, and that adds up to a lot of clawing and sliding. Still no scratches, it must be Kryptonite indeed.

lemme think

Post by lemme think » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:59 pm

retiredjg wrote:
lemme think wrote:I am domestically challenged, and after researching the iRobot Roomba, I purchased the Roomba professional series.

YES!! It's hysterical -- one runs and hides, the other looks like she is playing "chicken" with it!

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:10 pm

YES!! It's hysterical -- one runs and hides, the other looks like she is playing "chicken" with it!
Cat abuse. That's what it is. Cat abuse!

I'm guessing you don't make the cats stay down there with the robotic monster every night.... right? :twisted:

lemme think

Post by lemme think » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:12 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Cat abuse. That's what it is. Cat abuse!

I'm guessing you don't make the cats stay down there with the robotic monster every night.... right? :twisted:
Are you kidding? These cats can go wherever they want!! "Rosie" (the robot) just keeps them guessing> LOL

Topic Author
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:16 pm

FarmGirl wrote:My vote is for the Dyson. I haven't owned many vaccums over the years because I have always bought quality, but I can tell you no vaccum I have owned pulls the carpet and the gunk in it, including dog hair up like a Dyson. Plus, it can be completely torn apart and washed without much hassle.
Ok, I just used my refurb Dyson this morning for the first time. Holy cow, what a difference! I basically had to empty the canister after vacuuming every heavily used room. I finally feel safe to walk around barefoot.

They also seemed to have done a much better job thinking through the user aspect of this appliance versus most itmes for sale today. I'm still not sure it's worth $500, but for $350 I'm quite happy.

Now to attack the bathroom...

sgr000

Post by sgr000 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:04 pm

lemme think wrote:
retiredjg wrote:

YouTube has several videos of a cat surfing a Roomba, taking a swipe at the resident pit-bull every time it goes past. Hilarious the first time, kind of Zen-like on subsequent viewings.

DaveH

Post by DaveH » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:58 pm

I never used a Dyson, but our Oreck is really amazing and built very well.
The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. — Socrates

etherscreen78

Post by etherscreen78 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:07 pm

we have two german shepards, and one is a long hair!

we have a miele. we (my wife really) loves it! in fact, we just purchased it to replace our old miele that has lasted 20 years! the old one still works great, but the large attachment was broken and cost nearly 1/3 a new one. now i use it for the cars.

Buysider

Also don't forget

Post by Buysider » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:30 pm

In true boglehead fashion to be sure and save your dog hair ... you can knit it into nice afgans, sweaters and blankets ...

Here is a guide book from Amazon: Knitting a Better Sweater from a Dog You Know and Love ...

http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Dog-Hair ... 345&sr=8-1

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:36 am

19 years ago right before we got married, a vacum salesman came to the hair salon my wife worked at looking for business. He was selling Electrolux. She called me to tell me she was buying it and I said it sounded expensive but go ahead. That was 19 years ago and the thing still works like it is brand new. I don't remember how much it cost, but I know it was expensive for back then.

My house has a lot of stairs and four stories. Last year I bought a cheap vacum just to do the upstairs bedrooms with and the thing didn't even make six months and that was just doing the bedrooms.

I say go for the best and most of the time it will last. I would go with the Dyson or Oreck.

jbny2076

Post by jbny2076 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:38 am

I have a Dyson and it is great. Have had it about 3 years. It sucks up so much hair and dirt. I cannot use it on area rugs as it sucks up the threads on it due to the great suction. Best vacuum i have used to date.

climber2020

Re: Vacuums for Pet Owners

Post by climber2020 » Thu May 31, 2012 3:22 pm

I recently started using a Dirt Devil Dynamite bagless that I got at Walmart for 45 bucks, and it has worked surprisingly well. I have 2 cats that shed lots, and this thing sucks up the cat hair from the carpet in their room like a champ. I'm sure the Dyson is great, but for 1/8 the price, the Dirt Devil is a solid choice.

steve r

Post by steve r » Thu May 31, 2012 3:29 pm

Go to Sears ... bring some of the stuff you have trouble vacumming. Demo it for your self.

I bought a low end Dyson upright light weight (not full size) .... and love it. I think it is the D24.
Maximize Diversification - Minimize Costs - Avoid Lotteries

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Thu May 31, 2012 4:20 pm

I vacuum my extremely hairy Maine Coon Cat with an Electrolux Harmony set on gentle - it's a quiet vacuum to begin with - he loves it. When I was a kid my mom used to vacuum our dogs frequently ... they enjoyed the procedure too.

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:52 am

If you like the idea of a Dyson but want a more affordable alternative, look at the Shark Navigator series of vacuums. I purchased a Lift-Away Pro recently and am extremely impressed. It is far and away the best vacuum I have used in terms of suction, navigation, and adaptability. They are designed specifically to be the affordable - but just as capable - alternative to Dyson.

I have not used a Dyson myself (several friends do own them though). However, most reviews I have read compare the Shark quite favorably to Dyson.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

mike143

Post by mike143 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:03 pm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PB ... B001PB8EEM

http://www.vacuumcleanerinfo.com/conten ... rmance.htm
The Hoover Platinum UH30010COM Lightweight is one of the most powerful and highest scoring cleaners we’ve seen on carpets

On long carpet, the upright cleaner in this package performed very well, picking up over 85 per cent of our test dirt. That’s the highest percentage we have seen so far from a cleaner.

On short carpet, it was even more impressive, capturing a remarkable 93 per cent of our test dirt. Again, that’s the strongest performance we have seen from a cleaner so far, and it would make this cleaner a great pick for carpets
Just bought one of these. Second time using it today. Me an my wife have allergies. After vacuuming you can stick your nose to the bag and all you smell is the bags material, no dust. Feeling the bag it has picked up quite a bit with only two uses. This thing really sucks on the back stroke, it has a low power mode to keep from sucking your area rugs around. I vacuumed a entry rug for 5 minutes because it just keep sucking up stuff the previous vacuum missed.

This thing is truly engineered and well designed. The beater bar is wood and has BBs in varying types/metals/colors for balance purposes. The bags are very well sealed and have a door that seals it when removing it for disposal. Its not often I marvel at a product due to the thought that was put into it. This thing is truly a tool not a novelty like most items these days.
Last edited by mike143 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

dhodson

Post by dhodson » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:10 pm

i have both an oreck and a dyson
the dyson pulls up more stuff
the oreck is lighter