South Park or Family Guy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

South Park or Familiy Guy?

South Park
47%
Family Guy
53%

Total votes: 99

Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

South Park or Family Guy

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:42 pm

I am a big fan of both shows, but I have to go with South Park.

Family Guy has more laugh-out-loud, pee-in-your-pants moments, but South Park is far more consistent. A typical Family Guy episode might have two minutes of hilarity, five minutes of other funny stuff, seven minutes of mediocre stuff, and seven minutes of things that completely irritate the crap out of me (for those who know the show, the Conway Twitty songs come to mind, as well as Chris and the dork at the convenience store talking about movies for minutes at a time).

A typical South Park episode is entertaining from start to finish. It has lots of very funny moments and overall is more entertaining to me than Family Guy.

What do you think?

natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:57 pm

Here is my ranking of the shows:

1. South Park
2. American Dad
3. Family Guy

Famiy Guy has tried to get a little edgier lately. I guess they are trying to keep up with the more provocative style of South Park and American Dad.

South Park is in it's own category though, it's way more critical of society.

SpecialK22

Post by SpecialK22 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:06 pm

I would say South Park wins out in a close battle with Family Guy. American Dad is pretty good too, which goes to figure since it is also by Seth Macfarlane. I'm not a big fan of the Cleveland Show though. It has its moments, but overall not that entertaining. Futurama is an awesome show as well. Too bad they don't make any new episodes. Oh well, plenty of reruns on adult swim to bake my mind with.

peter71

Post by peter71 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:09 pm

Glad to see South Park is winning this time! :D

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... highlight=

All best,
Pete

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:33 pm

Family Guy is by far my favorite TV show. I don't have much interest in South Park, I never really got into it.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:11 pm

I don't watch either on a consistent basis, but they're both funny as hell when I catch one on tv.

MWCA

Post by MWCA » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:20 pm

To think I like Bevis and Butthead but hate these shows.

Probably not getting enough fiber.

Ill go with South Park due to the World of Warcraft episode.
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.

Opponent Process

Post by Opponent Process » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:34 pm

30/30/20/20 | US/International/Bonds/TIPS | Average Age=37

runthetrails

Post by runthetrails » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:54 pm

Anyone seen Archer? I've only seen 2 episodes, but it is now my second-favorite only to Venture Bros for adult-oriented cartoon shows.

I like both Family Guy and South Park, but South Park has more 3rd-grade humor (Mr. Hanky, Terence and Phillip) that I don't care to see. If I wanted toilet humor I'd just watch Sarah Silverman.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:27 am

Opponent Process wrote:Image
Is that conway?

happymob

Post by happymob » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:30 pm

South Park. I might like Family Guy a bit more if it weren't written by manatees.

modal

Post by modal » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:13 pm

"ATHF, number one in the 'hood g" :lol:

Sunflower

Post by Sunflower » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:30 pm

rec7 wrote:Is that conway?
Yep. If you watched TFG you'd get the reference. It was pretty funny. Stewie has also danced with Gene Kelly and I believe there was at least one other non-animated performer but I can't recall right now.

SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:09 pm

No contest.
Family Guy.

I just dont get Southpark. Not funny at all to me.

Thanks
SP-diceman

dumbmoney

Post by dumbmoney » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:40 pm

They're equally good (i.e. I hate both of them).

Please don't mention Futurama in the same breath. Futurama has some crass moments, but it's in a completely different league.
I am pleased to report that the invisible forces of destruction have been unmasked, marking a turning point chapter when the fraudulent and speculative winds are cast into the inferno of extinction.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:46 pm

King of the Hill has them all beat.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

Tall Grass

Post by Tall Grass » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:49 pm

rec7 wrote:
Opponent Process wrote:Image
Is that conway?
Harold Jenkins actually...but the hair is close to Ned Flanders from The Simpsons.

Last edited by Tall Grass on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A wise man should have money in his head, but not in his heart." - Jonathan Swift

Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Cherokee8215 wrote:Family Guy is by far my favorite TV show. I don't have much interest in South Park, I never really got into it.
That used to be me.

But since I gave South Park a legitimate chance, I'm hooked. I think it's raunchier, dirtier, more over the line, and funnier.

In other words, it does what Family Guy does, but better. I didn't think that was possible until I started watching.

Tall Grass

Post by Tall Grass » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:57 pm

They're both tasteless...
"A wise man should have money in his head, but not in his heart." - Jonathan Swift

thedude

Post by thedude » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:08 pm

They're both example of finest television has to offer. Except for public television.

investnoob

Post by investnoob » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:45 pm

Right now, I think I like Family Guy more. I watched the first seven seasons of South Park, as I was a huge fan, but it just got "preachy." It kind of tired me out.

Both shows lampoon western society. However, I find Seth MacFarlane's approach is more light-hearted and that is why I'm in Family Guy's corner right now.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:56 pm

The only thing I don't like about Family Guy is Seth Macfarlane's constant pushing of his political beliefs, but that's not a discussion for this forum.

MWCA

Post by MWCA » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Cherokee8215 wrote:The only thing I don't like about Family Guy is Seth Macfarlane's constant pushing of his political beliefs, but that's not a discussion for this forum.
I know. I would hardly call his last episode "lighthearted" like the poster before you mentioned. ;)
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.

Angst

Post by Angst » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:07 pm

Family Guy's writers all sold out to Microsoft. Now that's wrong!

susze

Post by susze » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:28 am

Both excellent!

investnoob

Post by investnoob » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:48 am

MWCA wrote:
Cherokee8215 wrote:The only thing I don't like about Family Guy is Seth Macfarlane's constant pushing of his political beliefs, but that's not a discussion for this forum.
I know. I would hardly call his last episode "lighthearted" like the poster before you mentioned. ;)
Really? I guess I'm not up to speed on the series. Last episode I saw Chris went on a date with a girl who had Down's Syndrome. Stewie's musical number was great!

Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:12 am

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ddb

Post by ddb » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:49 am

I'm a big fan of both shows, but to me there is no contest as to which one I enjoy more - South Park wins in a landslide. The reason I feel this way is summed up much better than I ever could in the South Park episode "Cartoon Wars" (Season 10, episodes 3 and 4, which like all other episodes can be watched legally and for free at southparkstudios.com).

I listen to the Adam Carolla Podcast religiously, and the Seth MacFarlane interview from early/middle 2009 remains in my top 5.

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:15 pm

You forgot the third choice...neither of the above. That's my pick.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:01 pm

ddb wrote:
I listen to the Adam Carolla Podcast religiously, and the Seth MacFarlane interview from early/middle 2009 remains in my top 5.

- DDB
DDB, my brother from another mother. I love me some Adam Carolla Podcast. I know it's about the most popular podcast on iTunes, but I swear I've never met anyone who listens to it.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:10 pm

Family Guy is hilarious but South Park is usually more oddly apropos, focusing on current issues and all that. I certainly don't find it preachy, since it kind of just lampoons both sides of overly simplistic debates. I think South Park, ftw.

But I have to say that it doesn't get any better than The Simpsons, seasons 2-10.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:57 pm

ddb wrote:I'm a big fan of both shows, but to me there is no contest as to which one I enjoy more - South Park wins in a landslide. The reason I feel this way is summed up much better than I ever could in the South Park episode "Cartoon Wars" (Season 10, episodes 3 and 4, which like all other episodes can be watched legally and for free at southparkstudios.com).

- DDB
That two-part episode was great. They nailed it.

I like when Cartman told Bart that he killed a kid and fed him to his parents. Scott Tenorman...what a great episode that was.

Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:59 pm

ryuns wrote:But I have to say that it doesn't get any better than The Simpsons, seasons 2-10.
Easily 90% of Family Guy or South Park episodes are better than the best Simpsons episode. I hate Bart.

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:24 pm

Triple digit golfer wrote:
ryuns wrote:But I have to say that it doesn't get any better than The Simpsons, seasons 2-10.
Easily 90% of Family Guy or South Park episodes are better than the best Simpsons episode. I hate Bart.
I think we have a different imagination of what animation should be. Sure, if it's designed to try to offend and insult a good portion of the audience (a feature of FG and SP, not a bug), if you want frank lampooning of the famous and infamous with a special emphasis on current events, then yeah, FG and SP get the nod.

But the Simpsons has a subtlety to its humor that the writing that FG and SP have, at their peak, never been able to match. They don't stand up to repeat viewing the same way either. True, Simpsons may have jumped the shark, and I think South Park has done a really good job staying fresh, but The Simpsons is still pretty fantastic. And it's anyone's guess where SP and FG would even exist or what they'd look like without the Simpsons.

Opponent Process

Post by Opponent Process » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:11 pm

Wikipedia has a nice history of satire:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire

Some people are really into satire as an art form, and I think there's also a lot of folks out there who just aren't offended by anything, but instead they need a release from the pervasive political correctness that we have to maintain in everyday social relations. If anything, I wonder why satire isn't more popular in the US.
30/30/20/20 | US/International/Bonds/TIPS | Average Age=37

Imperabo

Post by Imperabo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:16 pm

At least The Simpsons and South Park attempt to depict actual human behavior, and draw their humor from that. Family Guy is pure slapstick.

poisonivvy

Post by poisonivvy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:33 pm

SouthPark--Much more funny when you live in Colorado and can understand the scenery and some of the behind the lines jokes.

I enjoy the older SouthPark better--the new stuff is just getting kind of weird.

Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:43 pm

ryuns wrote:
I think we have a different imagination of what animation should be. Sure, if it's designed to try to offend and insult a good portion of the audience (a feature of FG and SP, not a bug), if you want frank lampooning of the famous and infamous with a special emphasis on current events, then yeah, FG and SP get the nod.

But the Simpsons has a subtlety to its humor that the writing that FG and SP have, at their peak, never been able to match. They don't stand up to repeat viewing the same way either. True, Simpsons may have jumped the shark, and I think South Park has done a really good job staying fresh, but The Simpsons is still pretty fantastic. And it's anyone's guess where SP and FG would even exist or what they'd look like without the Simpsons.
I get all that. It just boils down to this for me:

I enjoy Family Guy and South Park MUCH more than I ever enjoyed The Simpsons.

Hat

Peter vs. Chicken

Post by Hat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:45 am

The Family Guy episodes where Peter fights the chicken are great!

TJAJ9

Post by TJAJ9 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:03 am

ryuns wrote:

I get all that. It just boils down to this for me:

I enjoy Family Guy and South Park MUCH more than I ever enjoyed The Simpsons.
I never liked The Simpsons. Family Guy and South Park are both much better.

Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Re: Peter vs. Chicken

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:44 am

Hat wrote:The Family Guy episodes where Peter fights the chicken are great!
I love those chicken fights. Those are some of my all-time favorite scenes.