Webcam images are crummy - what's the problem?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Lbill

Webcam images are crummy - what's the problem?

Post by Lbill » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:05 pm

I just bought a Logitech C905 webcam and tried it out with a friend using Vid, which is Logitech's webcam communication service. The images transmitted by my webcam on my friend's computer screen were quite poor, with jerky images, jaggies, no synch between speaking and lip movement, etc. Not having any prior experience with webcams, I am wondering if the problem is with (1) the Logitech webcam/software (2) the Vid hosting service and/or (3) the fact that I use Sprint 3G wireless broadband, which is not as fast as cable broadband internet. Would appreciate input from others who have/are using webcams.
"Life can only be understood backward; but it must be lived forward." ~ Søren Kierkegaard | | "You can't connect the dots looking forward; but only by looking backwards." ~ Steve Jobs

LongDistanceRunner

Post by LongDistanceRunner » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:15 pm

Have you tried Skype instead of Vid?

LDR
LDR | | "Work like you don't need the money. | Love like you've never been hurt. | Dance like nobody's watching." - Satchel Paige

ruud

Re: Webcam images are crummy - what's the problem?

Post by ruud » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:40 pm

Lbill wrote:(3) the fact that I use Sprint 3G wireless broadband, which is not as fast as cable broadband internet.
This is probably the reason. Can you post your results of a speed test, for example this one: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1
Your upload speed is particularly relevant.
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week."

rwwoods

Post by rwwoods » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:46 pm

Try it with an instant messenger program such as Yahoo or MSN.
"I'm not so much concerned about the return on my money as the return of my money" - Will Rogers