Disgusted with Dell

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LynnC

Disgusted with Dell

Post by LynnC » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:45 pm

Ordered a new desk top with Dell on November 17th. They delayed it 5 different times. When I called to ask why it was being delayed (I ordered nothing special) no one could answer my question. I was put on hold, sent to different reps, a few I couldn't understand, disconnected and put on hold again.
One woman in customer service was very rude. When I asked for a supervisor, I was put back into the revolving phone system.

This morning(7:00am) I got an automated call from Dell giving me another delay (January).

I cancelled the order and walked into Costco and picked up a new HP. What in the world has happened to Dell and their customer service I will NEVER order from them again!

LynnC

fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:04 pm

I have an HP from Costco, also. I found HP's customer service to be excellent. Yes, both times I had a technical issue, I got somebody in India, but they spoke excellent English and resolved my problems quickly.

I'm sold on HP products. Hope it works out well for you.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."

Topic Author
LynnC

Post by LynnC » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:17 pm

Hi Chris,

We've only ever owned Dells, so imagine my surprise when I was treated so rudely! I did happen to go over to forums on Dell and read about all the delays and people being treated badly. It sounds as if Dell may have outsourced just about everything and their work force is so sparse, they just can't cover the orders.

If that is the case,why keep advertising? Why not tell me when I ordered, I couldn't get it until January? Not one person on the Dell forum was told the reason for their delay. We all got the same type of "run around".

Looking forward to my new HP and dealing with Windows 7.

LynnC

gailcox

Post by gailcox » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:27 pm

Lynn,

Similar thing happened to me last year. I took a good while to figure out the exact laptop from Dell that I wanted. I did alot of research so when I put my order in online, I was completely bummed to get a message saying the computer wouldn't ship for something like 4 weeks! I emailed a message back saying something like "Thank you for letting me know about the lengthy delay on my computer. For every day that it isnt shipped, I will be telling at least 10 people at work (I am a flight attendant and I fly ALL over the US) about my experience in ordering my Dell computer." Imagine my surprise when the very next day I received a message saying my computer had shipped! Sure enough, I had it by the end of the week.

I dont know if it was really the email that I sent them that sped things up, but I thought the timing was interesting.

Enjoy your new computer and tell Mal hi.

gail

tonythered

Post by tonythered » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:39 pm

If it makes you feel better (probably not!), I just recently ordered a Lenovo laptop, and received one notice saying shipping would be delayed by 3 days. It did ship then. I hope this is a sign that the economy is picking up and that customers are far exceeding sales expectations for the holidays, so manufacturers can hardly keep up with demand.

But honestly... I think most PC manufacturers don't cater to individuals. If you were a business, it would be another story (though maybe not, as Lenovo still owes my mid-sized company a server, which has been on order for quite some time!).

harland

Post by harland » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:45 pm

Hmm... that's interesting. I had the exact opposite experience. I spec'd a laptop online for my parents around Thanksgiving and when they ordered it, the estimated ship date was the middle of December. To my surprise, Dell actually shipped it early and the computer arrived on December 2nd.

Oh well, YMMV.
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above-average drivers.

Charles Mahaffey

Post by Charles Mahaffey » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:58 pm

I bought my first Dell in 1991 and have owned several since then, including two purchased for my kids as they went off to college. Over the years their service got progressively worse and on my last Dell, on which two hard drives failed in the first month after it was delivered, I swore I would never purchase another Dell. I retired 3 years ago and no longer needed a windows machine and I purchased a Mac and the computer and service have been great. My biggest problem with Dell was in 1991 they would bend over backwards to make you happy and tech support was good. By the late 1990's they had started wanting to try to determine if they could lay the problem off on the software companies in order to avoid helping the customer. I was a one man consulting operation from 1990 to retirement and I needed good tech help if I couldn't figure it out on my own.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:02 pm

One thing with Dell: it's almost like two different companies if you talk to their "home" number and if you talk to their "small business" number. I recommend the latter. More straightforward, better informed... and more truthful.

Their "home" division missed a sale in early 2007 ago, when my wife was in the market for a new PC but wanted to be sure she got Windows XP. Well, Dell flat-out lied to her and said it was not possible to get a new PC with Windows XP preinstalled. Not only did they say you could not get one from Dell, they said you could not get one from any other manufacturer, either.

I use the word "lying" because the company I worked for was buying new Dells with Windows XP preinstalled, and continued to do so for the next two years.

Of course, my wife went to HP and had no trouble buying a machine with Windows XP preinstalled.

About a month later Dell infuriated us further by sending us a glossy mailing piece offering special prices on Dell PCs with Windows XP!
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Topic Author
LynnC

Post by LynnC » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:06 pm

gailcox wrote:Lynn,

Similar thing happened to me last year. I took a good while to figure out the exact laptop from Dell that I wanted. I did alot of research so when I put my order in online, I was completely bummed to get a message saying the computer wouldn't ship for something like 4 weeks! I emailed a message back saying something like "Thank you for letting me know about the lengthy delay on my computer. For every day that it isnt shipped, I will be telling at least 10 people at work (I am a flight attendant and I fly ALL over the US) about my experience in ordering my Dell computer." Imagine my surprise when the very next day I received a message saying my computer had shipped! Sure enough, I had it by the end of the week.

I dont know if it was really the email that I sent them that sped things up, but I thought the timing was interesting.

Enjoy your new computer and tell Mal hi.

gail
Hi Gail,

I tried the email bit and was ignored. No one ever returned my mail or my phone call. It was my treatment by Dell that made me not want to do business with them. Their products have been good ones or used to be, no reason to believe differently.

Regarding being a business, there were people on the Dell forum who ordered for a small business and were being ignored, so I don't get it. People were even comparing systems to figure out why the delay and nothing made any sense.

Easier for me to just move on. Nice to see you again, Gail.

LynnC

ddb

Post by ddb » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:12 pm

fishnskiguy wrote:I have an HP from Costco, also. I found HP's customer service to be excellent. Yes, both times I had a technical issue, I got somebody in India, but they spoke excellent English and resolved my problems quickly.

Like most store-bought computers, the HP machines come pre-loaded with so much junk. Family member got an HP laptop recently, and at initial boot-up there were something like 17 icons in the system tray, in addition to any hidden running processes and hard drive space consumed by all the junk. Took me about 2 hours to do a full cleanup, attempting to wipe every HP-branded item off the computer. To no surprise, the machine booted and ran much faster after that. The ideal solution is to buy a full version of the OS to go along with the computer; that way you know you're getting as lean of an install as possible (or rather, as lean of an install that you can get with a Microsoft OS!). Unfortunately, have to shell out another $150-$200 for a full version of the latest OS. Fortunately for me, my former college roommate gets me stuff from the Microsoft Store - paid something like $40 for Windows 7 Ultimate (list price: $320).

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB

eas

Post by eas » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:24 pm

ddb wrote:
fishnskiguy wrote:I have an HP from Costco, also. I found HP's customer service to be excellent. Yes, both times I had a technical issue, I got somebody in India, but they spoke excellent English and resolved my problems quickly.

Like most store-bought computers, the HP machines come pre-loaded with so much junk. Family member got an HP laptop recently, and at initial boot-up there were something like 17 icons in the system tray, in addition to any hidden running processes and hard drive space consumed by all the junk. Took me about 2 hours to do a full cleanup, attempting to wipe every HP-branded item off the computer. To no surprise, the machine booted and ran much faster after that. The ideal solution is to buy a full version of the OS to go along with the computer; that way you know you're getting as lean of an install as possible (or rather, as lean of an install that you can get with a Microsoft OS!). Unfortunately, have to shell out another $150-$200 for a full version of the latest OS. Fortunately for me, my former college roommate gets me stuff from the Microsoft Store - paid something like $40 for Windows 7 Ultimate (list price: $320).

- DDB
DDB,

Two useful tools for this. First one, which I personally have never used, as I only discovered it after using the first one extensively, is PC Decrapifier. Looks like it has a wizard that lets you select what to uninstall, then does it for you in "unattended" mode so it frees you up to whatever else you please. The other is CCleaner. This is a bit more powerful tool that lets you uninstall software, remove entries in the Add/Remove Programs list, correct registry problems, etc. I wouldn't leave this on a relatives computer who is prone to clicking around a lot and has no fear of destroying it :) .

HotRod140

Disgusted with Dell

Post by HotRod140 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:02 pm

Samething happened with me. I ordered a camera from them, they told me I qualified for next day shipping. low and behold, I get a email from them telling me my shippment would be delayed two weeks. I called to complain and I get India. I couldnt understand a word the guy said. I will never buy from Dell again and I will tell everyone I know to never buy from them. Dell has gone down the tubes. DONT BUY FROM DELL.

mikep

Post by mikep » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:13 pm

I ordered from HP and it arrived the same day they told me it would be shipped!

dkdoy

Post by dkdoy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:20 pm

Have also had very bad experience with Dell, will not buy from them again.

theduke

Post by theduke » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:23 pm

A little bit of news on Dell. They were going to close their plant in NC in January 2010, but have delayed it three more months due to increase in sales of desktops.

http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/237127.html

mephistophles

Post by mephistophles » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:24 pm

I have owned four or five Dells, but will never buy another one. Dell is a good product and if everything goes smoothly, all is well. If you do need technical support for any kind of serious problem, well just forget it. They put you on hold endlessly, put you through to foreign speaking reps who will spend hours with you going in circles, disconnect you, transfer you, etc. until you are worn out or go crazy.

Just say no to Dell.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:24 pm

I started out in 1994 with a packard bell, and by 1997 started buying Dell's with Windows 98, my last Dell was a XP home, 2005, and was my last. I to noticed the decline of me being important customer to Dell.
While the computer were trouble free for the most part, I started putting my own computers together from New Egg, and Tiger Direct. More bang for the money. I no longer need Dell's technicial service, I can do it myself. As with Gateway, Dell and going down hill. They start taking people for granted. Good luck people with your computer needs.

Topic Author
LynnC

Post by LynnC » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:12 pm

ddb wrote:

- DDB
This machine is loaded with Windows 7.....ugh! I had my Dell ordered with Ubuntu, but just wasn't going to play with them any longer. I'll give Windows 7 a try and if I don't like it, DH knows how to wipe it clean and I'll put in Ubuntu, a very good and fast OS.

You know what makes me really mad? Dell was advertising as late as today, "Order today, get free shipping and get it by Christmas." HA!

LynnC

ddb

Post by ddb » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:24 pm

LynnC wrote:This machine is loaded with Windows 7.....ugh! I had my Dell ordered with Ubuntu, but just wasn't going to play with them any longer. I'll give Windows 7 a try and if I don't like it, DH knows how to wipe it clean and I'll put in Ubuntu, a very good and fast OS.

You know what makes me really mad? Dell was advertising as late as today, "Order today, get free shipping and get it by Christmas." HA!
FWIW, I'm finding Windows 7 to be really great, basically what Vista should have been. On one of my laptops, a 3-year old HP w 2GB of memory, Win7 Ultimate really flies. Obviously won't be as efficient as Ubuntu, but I think MS has hit a home run with Win7.

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB

dkdoy

Post by dkdoy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:10 pm

mephistophles wrote: They put you on hold endlessly, put you through to foreign speaking reps who will spend hours with you going in circles, disconnect you, transfer you, etc. until you are worn out or go crazy.
My same experience, hours on the phone going in circles

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:49 pm

I'll echo nisiprius' comment. The key with Dell is to buy from their small business department and stick to their small business (vostro) and corporate lines. You'll get better service, usually better warranties and far less junk software. You'll also get better quality hardware if you buy from the corp line, but there is an appropriate price premium.

Most of my Dell purchases (and I've bought a couple dozen of them for my business over the last decade) are corporate machines off their outlet website. You save a few bucks and the machine goes out the next day.

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:32 am

I usually buy their refurb laptops from the Dell Outlet, but I have bought a desktop for my mother through them. I have to say I haven't had any issues. I think I set the bar pretty low.

For example, for whatever reason (conspiracy theories on the Internet abound) Win 7 64-bit isn't working well with my on-board bluetooth adapter. Do I blame Dell for this? Do I expect Dell tech support to fix my problem? No, I am not that naive. For $20 I can buy an external USB dongle supported by Microsoft and get on with my life versus spending hours on the phone or in chat sessions with tech support.

Sorry for the bad experience. I agree delays in shipping harken back to the old days of the Internet where you could find a really good deal on something, order it, and then discover your item had been placed on backorder indefinitely (whether they charged your credit card or not). Full disclosure in this area is vitally important if Dell is going to keep going.

magellan

Post by magellan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:16 am

Alex Frakt wrote:Most of my Dell purchases (and I've bought a couple dozen of them for my business over the last decade) are corporate machines off their outlet website. You save a few bucks and the machine goes out the next day.
I'll second this (or third it?). One time I got a really banged up laptop from the outlet (not a scratch and dent, but a certified reburbished). I just sent it back and reordered and got a like-new one. If you hunt around you can often find 15-20% off coupons for outlet purchases to make the deal even better.

Also, not to turn this into a Dell commercial, but DW's Dell laptop just had a a broken touchpad. When I was online with Dell support, they asked if there were any other blemishes on the laptop other than the broken touchpad. I said there were some scratches on one of the pieces of plastic trim, but I didn't want to bother with it. They said they'd throw in the new trim piece (along with in-home install) at no charge for the inconvenience. Overall, I thought their service was excellent.

Jim

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:27 am

Refurb is a big mystery to me and I wish someone from behind the scenes would tell me the real deal. My working hypothesis, and that's all it is--a made-up story consistent with my personal observations--is:

a) many of the units billed as "refurb" are really brand new, and are simply called refurb in order to keep the stores selling new machines happy by avoiding the appearance of price competition.

b) some of them are returns, where the unit was fine but the user just didn't like them, or ordered the wrong one, or found a compatibility issue. And the vendor wipes them clean and repacks them with fresh, brand-new ancillaries (power cords, etc).

c) some of them are returns, and for whatever reason the vendor just plain forgets to refurbish them. They are just used units, with unwrapped power cords floating around loose in the box.

d) some of them were lemons with intermittent or subtle defects that didn't show up when they were tested. Unfortunately, I have frequently known computers with real problems to pass all diagnostics when the service guy was onsite, so this isn't as rare as you'd like.

Obviously a and b would be terrific buys, but the fear of c and d is what keeps me away from refurbs. C, the unit that's supposed to be refurb but is really just used--sent out in the same condition it was returned in--has personally happened to me and to other people I've known.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:36 am

I have never had a problem with computers ordered from Dell or HP but did have an extremely long wait for a digital camera I ordered from Dell. My last computer, an HP/Compaq desktop, was bought from a brick and mortar store, Staples. They seem to have good prices on both desktops and laptops. Dell now charges sales tax in my state which eats up much of the savings over brick and mortar stores. I know one was supposed to pay the state tax when filing the state 1040 but ...
Best Wishes, SpringMan

bearwolf

Re: Disgusted with Dell

Post by bearwolf » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:39 am

LynnC wrote: I cancelled the order and walked into Costco and picked up a new HP. What in the world has happened to Dell and their customer service I will NEVER order from them again!

LynnC
If it is an option, I recommend switching to Apple. We have been Windows free for almost three years and love it. I know there are certain applications that require Windows, but if you are a simple Web/Word/Excel user I highly recommend it.

BearWolf

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:40 am

At my work we used to order 800 dells a year. For the past several years they have all had problems and we ended up switching to HP. Dell's support replaced our bad motherboards and monitors with the exact same product that has the exact same flaws. Never again.

Anyone investing in Dell? (not me, not ever) But that is why we index :)

Chip

Post by Chip » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:41 am

d) some of them were lemons with intermittent or subtle defects that didn't show up when they were tested.
My only Dell refurb purchase (a laptop) fell into this category. There were extremely intermittent problems with the keyboard starting after a couple of months of ownership. Keys would stop working, then restart. That was especially disconcerting when the keys included some I needed for the bootup password! After the warranty expired most of the keys quit working completely. Plus it would occasionally reboot on random occasions while doing stressful work, like scrolling a web page. :roll:

For a couple of years I hauled a full sized desktop keyboard around with it. So much for portability. And the random reboots taught me to save my work early and often!

CTBob

Post by CTBob » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:51 am

The ideal solution is to buy a full version of the OS to go along with the computer; that way you know you're getting as lean of an install as possible (or rather, as lean of an install that you can get with a Microsoft OS!). Unfortunately, have to shell out another $150-$200 for a full version of the latest OS.
It's been a while since we bought a computer so I'm out of touch with current sales practices. However, we're looking at buying our first laptop now and I'm confused by the above quote. If we buy a new computer "with Windows 7 installed" are we NOT getting a "full version of the OS." What will we be missing and what won't it do? Does the fact that it's "installed" mean we won't get any disks so can't reinstall if something goes wrong?

As a related item, we'd probably order "Office 2007 Home and Student" as an option. Do we have to worry if that is a "full version."

Thanks,
Bob

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:00 am

Another unhappy Dell customer!!

Ever since Michael Dell departed his company for the first time, the company has been on a downhill slope ever since. Both their product quality and customer service deteriorated over time.

The desktop I ordered had a bad motherboard and needed to be replaced within the first week. The plug-ins for the phone line and the LAN line were incorrectly labeled and it took me hours on the phone with the tech support to figure out their little manufacturing QC problems. The memory chip died after about two years at about the same time the hard disk corrupted beyond repairs. Fortunately, I was "religious" in backing up data.

It goes without saying that Dell is not, and will not be on my shopping list. I wish I could kick Dell out of my VTSAX & VFIAX. :(

SpringMan

Re: Disgusted with Dell

Post by SpringMan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:03 am

bearwolf wrote: If it is an option, I recommend switching to Apple. We have been Windows free for almost three years and love it. I know there are certain applications that require Windows, but if you are a simple Web/Word/Excel user I highly recommend it.
BearWolf
And the newer Macs with Intel chips can run Windows or Mac OS-X. Apple makes a very nice product. My son has both an Apple powerbook and an Apple desktop. On the powerbook I really like how the magnetic power cord attaches on the side. If the cord is snagged, it just comes loose and no damage is done. I have had many power cord problems on my HP laptop. I am tired of replacing the power cord and without out one the machine is useless. Also. I really like the back lit keyboard on the Mac book. Keys can be seen in dark or dim light. I know some other brands also offer that feature as well. Macs are classy machines but do cost more up front.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

ddb

Post by ddb » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:07 am

CTBob wrote:
The ideal solution is to buy a full version of the OS to go along with the computer; that way you know you're getting as lean of an install as possible (or rather, as lean of an install that you can get with a Microsoft OS!). Unfortunately, have to shell out another $150-$200 for a full version of the latest OS.
It's been a while since we bought a computer so I'm out of touch with current sales practices. However, we're looking at buying our first laptop now and I'm confused by the above quote. If we buy a new computer "with Windows 7 installed" are we NOT getting a "full version of the OS." What will we be missing and what won't it do? Does the fact that it's "installed" mean we won't get any disks so can't reinstall if something goes wrong?
Almost all computers from big manufacturers do not come with a Windows disk, but rather a recovery disk that basically allows you to restore the computer to the same configuration it had when it was purchased (including all the junk).
As a related item, we'd probably order "Office 2007 Home and Student" as an option. Do we have to worry if that is a "full version."
I'd encourage you to consider OpenOffice.org as a replacement for Microsoft Office. They're both good, but OpenOffice is free, and I've found that it has 99% of the functionality of MS Office, with the same keyboard shortcuts, etc. All MS Office files will open in OpenOffice.

- DDB

Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:58 am

I've bought Dell computers several times. The two latest experiences weren't good. The laptop does not feel solid at all and will probably not last very long. I tried to return it within a month but the rep processing the return persuaded me to keep it by giving me another $100 off. The desktop already had to get two parts replaced (the dvd burner and the front earphone socket piece) under warranty. Wonder what all will break after the warranty is gone. Compared to that, my old dot com era IBM laptop with a P3 chip and 8GB hard drive is still alive and kickin - I guess I might get another Thinkpad next time.

segfault

Post by segfault » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:10 am

Dell's customer service has always been pathetic. Most people don't notice because their computer arrives within a few weeks of ordering, and they go on about their lives.

I ordered a new Dell server online around 2001 or 2002, and they never e-mailed me a tracking number or order status information. I couldn't get that information on their website, either. I decided to just build a new homebrew server myself, and refused delivery on the Dell server when it arrived. A few days later, I got a call from a real person at Dell, wondering why the delivery had been refused. I explained that they had communicated poorly and that the order was delayed unnecessarily, and they credited my card.

ddb

Post by ddb » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:11 am

Sunny wrote:I've bought Dell computers several times. The two latest experiences weren't good. The laptop does not feel solid at all and will probably not last very long. I tried to return it within a month but the rep processing the return persuaded me to keep it by giving me another $100 off. The desktop already had to get two parts replaced (the dvd burner and the front earphone socket piece) under warranty. Wonder what all will break after the warranty is gone. Compared to that, my old dot com era IBM laptop with a P3 chip and 8GB hard drive is still alive and kickin - I guess I might get another Thinkpad next time.
IMO, quality of laptops has dropped, but the prices have dropped much more so I'm not too upset about it. 10 years ago, one had to shell out $2K+ for a decent laptop. Nowadays it's more like $700 or less.

Those shopping for laptops might want to check out this Acer Notebook from TigerDirect. Unbelievable what you can get for $400 nowadays!

(I have not affiliation whatsoever with Acer or TigerDirect)

- DDB

TranceLordSnyder

Post by TranceLordSnyder » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:25 am

Basically, the common complaints are here.

http://www.bbb.org/central-texas/busine ... k-tx-41453

The better business bureau report says it all. I've had problems in the past too. Never, EVER, again. I build my own computers now.

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:38 am

Just ordered a new custom HP computer last week. I thought the deal was better then I could get at Dell. The system shipped yesterday, one day ahead of schedule.

The first phone rep I spoke to was in the Phillipines and there were language issues to overcome. He took my basic info but I called back to make the purchase. On the call back I got a guy in Boise who really knew what he was talking about. Helped me save a little and get just what I needed (like a router since I wanted a wireless printer).

So if ordering through HP I'd say to try to get a rep in the US before you go through the full order process.

Topic Author
LynnC

Post by LynnC » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:46 pm

www.consumeraffairs.org also has many Dell complaints.

LynnC

DouglasDoug

Post by DouglasDoug » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:05 pm

What an extraordinary coincidence to read these complaints. I have a Dell computer, and tried getting assistance which went on for hours, no kidding, and ended with my having been worn out from the experience and hanging up. I could not understand barely a word of any rep.; some were rude; did not know their way around the menu, etc. I swore to them I am going to switch companies when I order a new one. Dell must have serious managerial issues now.

BigD53

Re: Dell

Post by BigD53 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:45 pm

Has anyone else had problems with the hardware? Unfortunately, I've had several problems with Dell computers. My first desktop quit working when the files became corrupt. (maybe it was a virus? but none was ever found.)

A newer laptop died on me right after the warranty expired. No explanation for that one, it just quit. The "geek squads" and computer shops want a small fortune to diagnose/fix problems.

My latest Dell desktop was only 14 months old when the USB ports failed. (can't plug in printer or a camera.) Other than that, it's holding up fairly well. But it is developing an annoying "loud hum" that I can't stand.

Topic Author
LynnC

Post by LynnC » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:56 pm

BigD53 wrote:Has anyone else had problems with the hardware? Unfortunately, I've had several problems with Dell computers. My first desktop quit working when the files became corrupt. (maybe it was a virus? but none was ever found.)

A newer laptop died on me right after the warranty expired. No explanation for that one, it just quit. The "geek squads" and computer shops want a small fortune to diagnose/fix problems.

My latest Dell desktop was only 14 months old when the USB ports failed. (can't plug in printer or a camera.) Other than that, it's holding up fairly well. But it is developing an annoying "loud hum" that I can't stand.
Sounds like I am one lucky person that Dell ended up making me so mad that I cancelled the order. I was looking forward to working again with Ubuntu, not Win7.

LynnC

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:41 pm

BigD53 wrote:Has anyone else had problems with the hardware? Unfortunately, I've had several problems with Dell computers. My first desktop quit working when the files became corrupt. (maybe it was a virus? but none was ever found.)

After just under three years the video board fan broke down (after making loud noises for some time). Dell replaced the video board under warranty at no cost, delivering the new part by overnight mail within fourteen hours of talking to them. Replacement was simple and took about 10 minutes.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:55 pm

Thanks!
Now I know that it is not only getting old that I have trouble understanding the Dell service reps. But they knew how to diagnose the problem, order the correct part and get the on-site repairman to my home, all in 3 days.

I bought a Dell XPS 430 desk top computer in April of this year. Wisely also ordered 2 years of Onsite service warranty. The computer arrived on time or earlier, so no problem there. But now the power supply failed, after 7 months of use, my computer mostly always turned on. The Bluetooth wireless mouse also malfunctioned, but used another wired mouse I had, so I do not have to replace batteries frequently.

Over the preceding 7 years I had a Dell Dimension 4400 desktop without problems, had never a power supply or other failure. Except I first needed to find the best virus and anti-spyware software and go to Firefox and Roadrunner with its Webmail to keep it running smoothly.

I plan to let Dell take care of my PC during the 2 year warranty, then probably go to local service shops. Let's hope for the best!
Good luck!

LesterFreamon

Post by LesterFreamon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:26 pm

If you're going to buy a PC, buy from Lenovo.

tc101

Post by tc101 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:49 pm

I'm thinking of getting an Apple.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:08 pm

LynnC

You need to get in line behind NYS and the AG

http://www.nyagdell.com/

DaveS

Post by DaveS » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:54 am

I have owned 5 Dells in my small office. I am posting from my newest Dell Windows 7 laptop. It is a piece of crap. Everything on it is tinny, cheap, and slammed together. I would ship it back, but I overconfidently threw out the box. DONT BUY A DELL. I have Apples at home. They cost about the same as the Dell when you count add ons. They exude quality. Pity I have to use Windows at work. Dave

Topic Author
LynnC

Post by LynnC » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:50 am

CountryBoy wrote:LynnC

You need to get in line behind NYS and the AG

http://www.nyagdell.com/
Glad I cancelled my order.

I have an older Dell laptop running UBUNTU, which is a great OS. Vista was the problem with the laptop. DH has a Lenovo.

LynnC

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:39 am

LynnC

What many people fail to take into account is that Dell has a very long history of malfeasance. After all it was not too long ago that they were selling used computers for new computers.

The point underlying that history is that Dell is not good or bad; it is both. It is has a long standing policy with its low ball pricing made possible precisely because it has together with that other business practices that enable those low prices.

You, me, and others have learned the downside risks due to other business practices; yet others have benefited from their malfeasance by low prices.

Life is not fair; the EU and the FTC have shown that Intel is not fair; everyone knows MS is not fair.

Such is life; we learn; we move on......

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:56 am

I've had a Dell desktop for 5yrs and only a few problems that were fixed under the 3yr warantee I purchased (lucky for me on that). My HP computer will be here tomorrow.

This might be a wild generalization but if you look at a 5yr graph of DELL vs HPQ the chart is very dramatic: