Kindle..confused about the kindle "2"

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
InvestingMom

Kindle..confused about the kindle "2"

Post by InvestingMom »

I am confused about the Kindle. I did a bit of googling and it seems like the newer Kindle 2 is superior to the first Kindle. However, when I go onto Amazon, there is no Kindle "2"? There is however a 6" Kindle and a 9.7" Kindle. The 6" is lighter and has global download ability (besides being much cheaper) so that seems the way to go, but I want to make sure I am not buying the older version or something. So is there a "Kindle 2" or is that just shorthand for the latest version they now sell?

Also, I am buying this for my 70 something mom. Are these things pretty easy to use? She has a laptop but she is pretty pathetic with it. For example I am still not even sure if she knows what a browser is. But she does manage to get around on email and do her banking on the PC (so scary really) so I am thinking she can manage the Kindle with a bit of help.
CaptMidnight

Re: Kindle..confused about the kindle "2"

Post by CaptMidnight »

InvestingMom wrote:I am confused about the Kindle. I did a bit of googling and it seems like the newer Kindle 2 is superior to the first Kindle. However, when I go onto Amazon, there is no Kindle "2"? There is however a 6" Kindle and a 9.7" Kindle. The 6" is lighter and has global download ability (besides being much cheaper) so that seems the way to go, but I want to make sure I am not buying the older version or something. So is there a "Kindle 2" or is that just shorthand for the latest version they now sell?

Also, I am buying this for my 70 something mom. Are these things pretty easy to use? She has a laptop but she is pretty pathetic with it. For example I am still not even sure if she knows what a browser is. But she does manage to get around on email and do her banking on the PC (so scary really) so I am thinking she can manage the Kindle with a bit of help.
Amazon no longer sells the original Kindle. So, the only Kindle you can buy from Amazon is the Kindle 2.

My 87-year old father has no difficulty using his Kindle. By the way, if you buy one for yourself and one for your mother, you can pay once for an e-book and share it as long as both Kindles are registered to the same account. I sent one to my father and invited him to get Kindle books on my account. It makes a nice way to provide an ongoing gift to your parent and you can read the same books.

By the way, the ability to increase the size of the type is a handy feature for the older set.
The history of thought and culture is ... a changing pattern of great liberating ideas that inevitably turn in suffocating straightjackets... | --Isaiah Berlin
Topic Author
InvestingMom

Post by InvestingMom »

CaptMidnight,

Thanks so much for your information.

That is very cool that we can share books too. (I need to give my husband the hint for my xmas present.)

So do you and your dad use the 6" version?

IM
wbillvan

Post by wbillvan »

I have downloaded the Kindle for My PC (the beta version).

The first book I got was the Bogleheads Guide to Investing.

You are allowed to register up to six devices. I currently have three different current computers registered.

You can change the text size. Since it is the beta version, it does not have all the capabilities of the actual Kindle.

You can, however, change the text size, go to table of contents, index, or select a location.

Some of the future enhancements are: create note and highlights, an improved search function, and zoom/rotate images.
DonnaB

Post by DonnaB »

There are 2 versions of the "kindle 2" - one is the new international version, the other only connects wirelessly in the US. (It did work for me in Puerto Rico, so may work throughout the carribean.) Be careful in deciding which one to order. There are coverage maps to help you decide which is better for your home area. And you can join the yahoo group "kindlekorner" for a lot of information, including alerts to free books. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kindlekorner/

I'd love to say they are easy to use - I've had mine for over a year and love it. But my Mom isn't doing nearly as well with hers - she has had it almost a year and barely uses it. You may need to help her with the purchases, which can be done online from the PC and then will automatically download to the kindle. If she needs the larger font size it is a great idea. If she still reads easily, she might be like my Mom and not care enough to make the effort.
CaptMidnight

Post by CaptMidnight »

InvestingMom wrote:CaptMidnight,

Thanks so much for your information.

That is very cool that we can share books too. (I need to give my husband the hint for my xmas present.)

So do you and your dad use the 6" version?

IM
Yes. The Kindle DX is the larger one and is designed for magazine and textbooks. Unless you intend to read magazines, books with numerical tables or PDF files, it is too large and expensive. The 6" Kindle is just a little smaller than a page of a paperback book.
The history of thought and culture is ... a changing pattern of great liberating ideas that inevitably turn in suffocating straightjackets... | --Isaiah Berlin
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I have the original kindle and love it. If I had to buy one today, I would consider the larger version, but either should work well. You might also check out the new e reader from barnes and noble, the Nook. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/?cds2Pid=30919
I don't have any personal experience with it but it looks pretty good. I would not be surprised if there is a Kindle 3 in the spring.
Mike
tryphiodorus

Re: Kindle..confused about the kindle "2"

Post by tryphiodorus »

CaptMidnight wrote:
Amazon no longer sells the original Kindle. So, the only Kindle you can buy from Amazon is the Kindle 2.
One minor note: Some third-party sellers on Amazon do sell used versions of the 1st generation Kindle (too new to link; the ASIN is B000FI73MA), if for some reason you prefer that version (my understanding is that the changes from the 1st to 2nd generation were mainly positive, though there are some people who prefer the earlier version).

Full disclosure: I'm a Kindle DX owner.
Topic Author
InvestingMom

Thanks

Post by InvestingMom »

Everyone, thanks for the additional info, advice and links. You guys are great!
IM