Saving money watching Monk on computer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Cody

Saving money watching Monk on computer

Post by Cody » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:15 am

An earlier thread on tv reception costs at BH forum got me thinking about the recommendation to watch some (or many) shows on the computer.

My issue is this:
While watching say Monk the sound is fine but the picture is jerky. I have a relative new and fast Mac ibook G4 computer.

Does your computer have a jerky response or is it my computer/quest DSL connection? Normally I have few "speed" problems.

PS - happens on both of my macs.

Thanks, Cody

medgar

Post by medgar » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:32 am

Cody,

I have the same problem at times. I don't think it is the computer.

It is usually the DSL. I had to upgrade my DSL to faster download speed. Also, if you are running a home network that can slow it down.

FYI, all of these problems are becoming a thing of the past due to better internet provider competition. There is a new 4g wireless company that is expanding called, Clearwire. I had a chance to us it Atlanta and it was amazing. You can go on clearwire.com and put in your zip to see if it is in your area. It will be national so you will always have internet service for one low monthly price. Goodbye AT&T!!!!!!!!!!

Only solution I have found is to start download of show, go get your favorite beverage and snack. That is usually enough time for the play not to catch up with the download.

modal

Post by modal » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:05 am

Use VLC, EZTV.it, and a torrent program

You might also want to increase the priority of the video player process.

modal

Post by modal » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:10 am

medgar wrote:Clearwire
Interesting.

It looks like it's in my area from the coverage, but when I check it said service wasn't available for me.

What kind of equipment do they use?

medgar

Post by medgar » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:39 am

Modal,

I used my buddies equipment so I can't answer your question.

www.clear.com This is clearwire's wireless website to help you out.

It hasn't hit Charleston, SC yet. UUGGGGHH!!! They are hoping to have 75% of US by end of 2010.

Medgar

eas

Post by eas » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:32 pm

medgar wrote:Clearwire........Goodbye AT&T!!!!!!!!!!
....And hello Sprint, Time Warner, Comcast, and Bright House :lol:

ruud

Re: Saving money watching Monk on computer

Post by ruud » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:59 pm

Cody wrote:I have a relative new and fast Mac ibook G4 computer
the ibook G4 was discontinued in may 2006, so your computer is at least 3.5 years old. i would not consider that "relatively new". still, an ibook G4 should do decent video playback.

--ruud
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week."

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:04 pm

You can always try streaming through a different website, if you haven't. Some servers or media players (or whatever) work better than others. Some have the function like Youtube does to allow you to "buffer" the entire program before watching, and some adjust the frame rate/streaming rate semi-on the fly (like Netflix.com) so that you should get a smooth picture, even if the picture quality is less than ideal.

That all said, DSL is probably the biggest culprit, but there may be some ways to improve the quality with your existing connection.

Ryan
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:12 pm

modal wrote:Use VLC, EZTV.it, and a torrent program
Would that get me in trouble?

sotaboy

Post by sotaboy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:28 pm

Why would anyone watch Monk?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:16 pm

It's the DSL connection. One way to check is to actually measure your download speed while watching the video. There are a number of software programs that can do this. For example, my software firewall, Online Armor, has a real-time graph that you can watch.

Compare the download speed against your rated DSL speed. I'll bet you find that it's max'd out. You can also check your actual download speed against what's advertised at any number of web sites, such as Speedtest.net.

Bit torrent programs won't solve your problem, as the internet provider will cap the max rate to your house anyway. You generally don't want to go down that path unless you know what you are getting into.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

PJR

Post by PJR » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:00 pm

natureexplorer wrote:
modal wrote:Use VLC, EZTV.it, and a torrent program
Would that get me in trouble?
I'm surprised anyone would recommend that on this site. Although lots of people do it, it's technically copyright infringement. Personally, I would stick to legal methods of watching shows; for example, Monk is available through Netflix. It's a season behind, but you can watch the entire season all at once.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:34 pm

LadyGeek wrote:Bit torrent programs won't solve your problem, as the internet provider will cap the max rate to your house anyway.
It will solve the problem because you are downloading the entire program for later viewing, not streaming it. I do this with programs that aren't available in the US, primarily coverage of cycle racing.

johnjtaylorus

Post by johnjtaylorus » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:03 pm

Cody, are you obsessive about watching "Monk"?

Tabs

Post by Tabs » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:01 pm

Cody wrote:I have a relative new and fast Mac ibook G4 computer.
I had a G4 desktop back in the day, and YouTube video playback for standard video was just good enough to not be jerky. High quality was out of the question though. I also had a powerbook G4 (15") back then, and it would not play any YouTube video smoothly.

As far as I can tell, the main culprit was the graphics card. Basically, the desktop was outfitted with a stronger one than the onboard one that my laptop had.

If that is also the case here, then the only option is to buy a new laptop. Unfortunately G4s are considered outdated now, so it's not a bad idea to upgrade anyways.

KritonD

Post by KritonD » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:29 pm

Tabs wrote:
As far as I can tell, the main culprit was the graphics card. Basically, the desktop was outfitted with a stronger one than the onboard one that my laptop had.

If that is also the case here, then the only option is to buy a new laptop. Unfortunately G4s are considered outdated now, so it's not a bad idea to upgrade anyways.
Agreed. Your "relatively new" laptop is pretty old in the computer industry. I too would suspect the video card (which is not upgradeable in the majority of laptops) is the problem. See if you can downgrade the quality of the video being played. Otherwise, might be time to hunt for a new one if you wanted to play decent quality online video. Try a few other sites and see if you can play streaming tv shows from those sites. www.hulu.com is the big one (a venture by NBC, Fox, and others to legally stream shows.)