Tech help please!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mbres60

Tech help please!

Post by mbres60 »

I received an email from Microsoft saying I have to update my sign in technology before Sept 16 or I won't be able to sign in anymore. I don't know what they are talking about! :(. I am not a techie.

I have used Hotmail for a long time. I am pretty sure I use it directly from their website and not an app. About 15 years ago I tried to set up the mail program on my computer but didn't realize it downloaded from the internet to my computer all my emails. I changed it back very quickly but do seem to have a folder in hotmail that says POP . It has some old emails I saved. My cell phone says Outlook and not the mail envelope picture. In settings it says default Mail app: Outlook. On my laptop I don't use the mail app but login to login.live.com . I wasn't aware that a laptop could use apps but their email says I can download free versions of Outlook to connect to my email. I am totally lost on what I need to do!

Here is a pasted copy: The safety and security of your information is top priority for Microsoft. To help keep your account secure, Microsoft will no longer support the use of third-party email and calendar apps which ask you to sign in with only your Microsoft Account username and password. To keep you safe you will need to use a mail or calendar app which supports Microsoft’s modern authentication methods. If you do not act, your third-party email apps will no longer be able to access your Outlook.com, Hotmail or Live.com email address on September 16th.

What do you need to do?
If you are receiving this email, you are currently using an email or calendar app that uses a less secure authentication method to connect to your Outlook.com email account. You will need to upgrade your third-party mail and calendar app to a version which supports modern authentication methods.

Microsoft provides free versions of Outlook for your PC, Mac, iOS, and Android devices which can be easily downloaded and connect to your email account. Using an updated version of an Outlook application will ensure you are connecting in the most secure way.

How can you set up your Gmail, Apple Mail, or other third-party mail application?
Various non-Microsoft applications will have their own steps for connecting to your Outlook.com email account using modern authentication methods. See our help article - Modern Authentication Methods now needed to continue syncing Outlook Email in non-Microsoft email apps. However, you may need to contact the creators of those applications to provide you with instructions. In many cases, simply removing and re-adding your account with the latest version of that application will configure it to use modern authentication methods.

I am lost! I looked on the App Store for my iPhone and found Outlook but instead of saying Get so I could get the latest version it just says open. When I click on that it opens it to my emails.

Help! (sorry if I rambled a bit).
lthenderson

Re: Tech help please!

Post by lthenderson »

mbres60 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:51 am How can you set up your Gmail, Apple Mail, or other third-party mail application?
I just start the browser of my choice, go to: https://mail.google.com/ and then log in. I gave up on dedicated mail apps like Outlook ten years ago.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Might just be a scam.

If you use outlook, the program, then you might first figure out if you can get your mail on the web. That can be the backup plan.

If you don't use outlook (the program), and you don't currently look at email addressed to yourself@outlook.com, then maybe you don't care.
This time is the same
bad1bill

Post by bad1bill »

It has to do with support of the Hotmail app; Hotmail is owned by Microsoft and has been for a long time.

"Starting September 16, 2024, the tech giant will no longer support sign-in on third-party email and calendar applications that only use a Microsoft Account username and password. This change will affect users of Outlook.com, Hotmail, and Live.com email services.

If you want to keep using your current e-mail ****@hotmail.com, just sign up for a Microsoft account using that email. You will then be able to use Outlook as your mail client. You'll have to download that as well and it should be free. Personally, I have no issues with Outlook and liked it when I was working. Since retiring, I have gone to gmail (which I had for my private account).

I'm sure you will get replies suggesting Proton Mail (or similar) which is less intrusive (by that I mean less prone to selling/using some of your data) than Gmail or Outlook but for me I am comfortable with Gmail and I would be with Outlook as well.
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

It is not a scam. I have gone to Microsoft web site and have no trouble signing in under my hotmail name and password. On the site I can't figure out how to go to my email. same for when I went to outlook.com.
techbud

Post by techbud »

This is not a scam.

Here's the key part:

If you are receiving this email, you are currently using an email or calendar app that uses a less secure authentication method to connect to your Outlook.com email account. You will need to upgrade your third-party mail and calendar app to a version which supports modern authentication methods.

Let me try to explain: In the "Good Old Days", you used a username and a password to sign into Internet services. This was the same whether you signed into your service using an app (eg, mail client, outlook, apple mail, etc), or if you signed into your mail using your web browser.

Now fast forward to today (2024): We now realize that simply using username & password alone can be risky, thus most online services now want some sort of two-factor authentication; eg they want you to prove who you are via some other method such as receipt of an SMS code, or some other authenticator app, or something called a security key. Older mail programs tended to use an older protocol for retrieving mail called POP, which today is considered obsolete and can be insecure as it doesn't support modern two-factor authentication methods.

So what Microsoft is asking you to do is ensure you are using a mail program that supports modern (secure) authentication methods and two-factor authentication. I don't think I saw if you mentioned what mail program(s) you are using. It's quite possible that you are already using a modern-enough program that supports this, such as Outlook, Microsoft Mail, or Apple Mail. If this is the case, it's likely that you are using a modern mail application but the older (POP) login protocol, and all you would need to do is simply re-add your hotmail login account to the software and it will start working. On the other hand, if you are using a very old piece of software that does not support modern authentication, then you will indeed need to change to a new mail application and/or access hotmail just from your web browser.
Last edited by techbud on Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Right now , I am using IMAP protocol using Apple mail client for both iCloud and Comcast email addresses.

This is just for Apple users.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

firebirdparts wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:29 am Might just be a scam.

If you use outlook, the program, then you might first figure out if you can get your mail on the web. That can be the backup plan.

If you don't use outlook (the program), and you don't currently look at email addressed to yourself@outlook.com, then maybe you don't care.
That’s my first thought. Password harvesting.
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

techbud wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:55 pm This is not a scam.

Here's the key part:

Let me try to explain: In the "Good Old Days", you used a username and a password to sign into Internet services. This was the same whether you signed into your service using an app (eg, mail client, outlook, apple mail, etc), or if you signed into your mail using your web browser.

Now fast forward to today (2024): We now realize that simply using username & password alone can be risky, thus most online services now want some sort of two-factor authentication; eg they want you to prove who you are via some other method such as receipt of an SMS code, or some other authenticator app, or something called a security key. Older mail programs tended to use an older protocol for retrieving mail called POP, which today is considered obsolete and can be insecure as it doesn't support modern two-factor authentication methods.

So what Microsoft is asking you to do is ensure you are using a mail program that supports modern (secure) authentication methods and two-factor authentication. I don't think I saw if you mentioned what mail program(s) you are using. It's quite possible that you are already using a modern-enough program that supports this, such as Outlook, Microsoft Mail, or Apple Mail. If this is the case, it's likely that you are using a modern mail application but the older (POP) login protocol, and all you would need to do is simply re-add your hotmail login account to the software and it will start working. On the other hand, if you are using a very old piece of software that does not support modern authentication, then you will indeed need to change to a new mail application and/or access hotmail just from your web browser.
I do not have two factor authentication. When I login on laptop it says login.live.com. I thought that was on the web. On my phone I show the outlook symbol not apple mail. when I go to settings I find the outlook symbol and after clicking it says default mail app: Outlook. I went to the App Store to maybe download a newer version but it said open instead of get. I opened and got my email.I am so lost on what I need to actually do!
techbud

Post by techbud »

mbres60 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:46 pm

Here's the key part:

I do not have two factor authentication. When I login on laptop it says login.live.com. I thought that was on the web. On my phone I show the outlook symbol not apple mail. when I go to settings I find the outlook symbol and after clicking it says default mail app: Outlook. I went to the App Store to maybe download a newer version but it said open instead of get. I opened and got my email.I am so lost on what I need to actually do!
Ok:
1) On your laptop, you would go to https://www.outlook.com to access your mail from your web browser. Your email address might be <username>@outlook.com, <username>@live.com, or <username>@hotmail.com; it doesn't matter; they are all currently accessed by going to www.outlook.com. Make sure you can access your email via the web before doing any of the below steps.

2) You say you are not using two-factor. You really should be. I do a lot of tech & security advising & consulting, and what I tell people is the #1 thing they can do to improve their account security & prevent being hacked is to make sure they are using two-factor. But that's a discission for another day.

3) On your (presumably) iPhone, you can either use the built-in Apple mail application, or you can optionally use the Outlook application that one would download from the App store. Either is fine; it's personal preference. But it sounds like you need to reconfigure how it is authenticating to ensure you are using modern authentication.
3a) For the Apple mail apple , you'd go to Settings-> Mail -> Accounts, and see if there is an account listed for outlook.com. You might need to delete it and then re-add it.
3b) For the Outlook app, I would guess that it's almost certainly set up using the correct authentication method. But if you want to try removing and re-adding it, you'd do the following: 1) in the upper left, click on the colored circle with your initials. 2) on the bottom left, click on the gear icon. 3) Select accounts. 4) You should see your outlook.com account. Click on it. 5) Select 'Remove Account. 6) You can now "Add Account' to add it back.

NOTE: Please be sure you are aware of what you are doing with steps 3a and 3b. It will not remove or harm any data that's in the cloud, but if you have local data on your phone (unlikely), it could get deleted via these steps.
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

techbud wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:07 pm
mbres60 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:46 pm

Here's the key part:

Ok:
1) On your laptop, you would go to https://www.outlook.com to access your mail from your web browser. Your email address might be <username>@outlook.com, <username>@live.com, or <username>@hotmail.com; it doesn't matter; they are all currently accessed by going to www.outlook.com. Make sure you can access your email via the web before doing any of the below steps.

2) You say you are not using two-factor. You really should be. I do a lot of tech & security advising & consulting, and what I tell people is the #1 thing they can do to improve their account security & prevent being hacked is to make sure they are using two-factor. But that's a discission for another day.

3) On your (presumably) iPhone, you can either use the built-in Apple mail application, or you can optionally use the Outlook application that one would download from the App store. Either is fine; it's personal preference. But it sounds like you need to reconfigure how it is authenticating to ensure you are using modern authentication.
3a) For the Apple mail apple , you'd go to Settings-> Mail -> Accounts, and see if there is an account listed for outlook.com. You might need to delete it and then re-add it.
3b) For the Outlook app, I would guess that it's almost certainly set up using the correct authentication method. But if you want to try removing and re-adding it, you'd do the following: 1) in the upper left, click on the colored circle with your initials. 2) on the bottom left, click on the gear icon. 3) Select accounts. 4) You should see your outlook.com account. Click on it. 5) Select 'Remove Account. 6) You can now "Add Account' to add it back.

NOTE: Please be sure you are aware of what you are doing with steps 3a and 3b. It will not remove or harm any data that's in the cloud, but if you have local data on your phone (unlikely), it could get deleted via these steps.
Thank you so much! I went to Outlook.com and logged in using my hotmail stuff with no problem. I went on my. phone and followed your directions to delete and then add account. When I go to settings in my phone for Outlook it pretty much looks the same as before. I also have an iPad that I didn't mention before. It is sinced up to my phone and laptop. Do I need to delete the Outlook app on there or was doing it on my phone enough?

My other question... how do I do two factor authentication? I didn't see anything about that.

Thank you again!
techbud

Post by techbud »

You manage two-factor as part of your microsoft account: https://microsoft.com/account, then on the left, click on 'Security' https://account.microsoft.com/security, then click on 'Manage how I sign in'.
There's good documentation here : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/acc ... d3343a5452

Regarding your ipad, yes, do the same steps there that you did on your phone.
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

techbud wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:30 pm You manage two-factor as part of your microsoft account: https://microsoft.com/account, then on the left, click on 'Security' https://account.microsoft.com/security, then click on 'Manage how I sign in'.
There's good documentation here : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/acc ... d3343a5452

Regarding your ipad, yes, do the same steps there that you did on your phone.
Thank you! I'll go there and check it out. I just finished doing the same steps on my iPad.
tortoise84

Post by tortoise84 »

Some kind of email app is logging into your account with an old authentication method. I'm not sure if Microsoft is looking back 15 years and counting that POP email app that you tried to use, but you can check here:

1. Go to account.microsoft.com and sign-in.

2. Click the 'Security' heading to expand it, then click 'See your sign-in activity'. You may have to sign-in again.

3. Do not be alarmed if there are a bunch of unsuccessful sign-ins. This happens when your password was leaked to the dark web, but you already changed it so that the leaked password doesn't work anymore.

Also look under sign-ins that say 'Automatic Sync' because these are usually IMAP or POP email apps.

If there are successful sign-ins from locations that you don't recognize, then your account has been compromised and you need to change your password and secure your account. It's possible that hackers are using your account and password to send spam from your email address, which triggered the notification from Microsoft.

Otherwise, if everything looks okay, then I would just do nothing and wait for September for Microsoft to block the old authentication methods. Then see if any of your email apps stop working. If any do, there's your culprit and you should follow the steps outlined by others here to update the app, or change it to a different app that supports modern authentication standards, or delete your email account in the app and then add it back in to reset the authentication.
talzara

Post by talzara »

mbres60 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:51 am I received an email from Microsoft saying I have to update my sign in technology before Sept 16 or I won't be able to sign in anymore. I don't know what they are talking about! :(. I am not a techie.
Do nothing now, and wait until September 16 to see what fails.

If your iPhone fails to get new mail, then remove and re-add your account.

If nothing fails, then you don't need to do anything. It may be something you forgot about and never use. It may have been pulling your mail without your knowing about it. Failing on September 16 would be an improvement. You don't want to stop it from failing.
talzara

Post by talzara »

tortoise84 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:44 pm If there are successful sign-ins from locations that you don't recognize, then your account has been compromised and you need to change your password and secure your account. It's possible that hackers are using your account and password to send spam from your email address, which triggered the notification from Microsoft.

Otherwise, if everything looks okay, then I would just do nothing and wait for September for Microsoft to block the old authentication methods. Then see if any of your email apps stop working. If any do, there's your culprit and you should follow the steps outlined by others here to update the app, or change it to a different app that supports modern authentication standards, or delete your email account in the app and then add it back in to reset the authentication.
Microsoft is shutting off password authentication on September 16 for all accounts, not just the OP's account: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... 986499a90d

Everyone using a mail client with password authentication is getting this email, whether or not they are sending spam.

It's much more likely that the OP has accidentally installed a mail client without knowing it. For example, the OP tried to install Outlook on an iPhone and discovered that it was already installed. On September 16, that mail client will be unable to pull new mail, which will be an improvement over what is happening now.
talzara

Post by talzara »

rockstar wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:08 pm That’s my first thought. Password harvesting.
As two people already explained on this thread before your post, Microsoft is shutting off password authentication for mail clients.

Everyone using a mail client with password authentication is getting this email: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... 986499a90d
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

tortoise84 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:44 pm Some kind of email app is logging into your account with an old authentication method. I'm not sure if Microsoft is looking back 15 years and counting that POP email app that you tried to use, but you can check here:

1. Go to account.microsoft.com and sign-in.

2. Click the 'Security' heading to expand it, then click 'See your sign-in activity'. You may have to sign-in again.

3. Do not be alarmed if there are a bunch of unsuccessful sign-ins. This happens when your password was leaked to the dark web, but you already changed it so that the leaked password doesn't work anymore.

Also look under sign-ins that say 'Automatic Sync' because these are usually IMAP or POP email apps.

If there are successful sign-ins from locations that you don't recognize, then your account has been compromised and you need to change your password and secure your account. It's possible that hackers are using your account and password to send spam from your email address, which triggered the notification from Microsoft.

Eye opening! I did what you said and found lots of unsuccessful logins from all over the world. Only one said 'automatic sync" and that was unsuccessful. I log in many times each day so hopefully all the successful ones were ME! I am going to set up two factor authentication. Interesting is that my current login said successful login but underneath it said incorrect password entered. It said it 15 times!!!! What is up with that?
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

Most likely, other people (or more realistically "bots" - aka scripts) trying to access your account/emails. Sadly, there's a "market" for user names and passwords... :annoyed

There's an entire industry doing that every day... :annoyed

Which is why setting up multifactor authentication is highly recommended!

And if you aren't yet, highly recommend using a password generator to create strong unique passwords for every website you visit. If you are using Microsoft services, they have one built into their Edge browser which syncs with their Authenticator app, so it will work even on iPhone/iPad running Safari browser.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

talzara wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:18 pm
rockstar wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:08 pm That’s my first thought. Password harvesting.
As two people already explained on this thread before your post, Microsoft is shutting off password authentication for mail clients.

Everyone using a mail client with password authentication is getting this email: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... 986499a90d
I’m wrong a lot.
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround »

mbres60 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:28 pm Eye opening! I did what you said and found lots of unsuccessful logins from all over the world. Only one said 'automatic sync" and that was unsuccessful. I log in many times each day so hopefully all the successful ones were ME! I am going to set up two factor authentication. Interesting is that my current login said successful login but underneath it said incorrect password entered. It said it 15 times!!!! What is up with that?
It's unfortunate but, at this point, all of us have to assume at least one of our online accounts has been breached and hackers were able to steal our login credentials for the site. Hackers then start trying the stolen account credentials against commonly used web sites to see where they might get work (esp ones that give them payback for their effort) like bank, email and investment accounts.

That's why best practice is using two factor authentication wherever it's an option. This way, stolen credentials from one account isn't enough to break into another of your sites if you reuse the same credentials. Also, while it's good practice NOT to reuse the same password on any two sites, at minimum, identify your hi-risk sites where financial or other damage can be done if someone got in: such as your bank, email, and investment accounts. Change all those passwords to assure they're unique.
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

LookinAround wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:11 am
mbres60 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:28 pm Eye opening! I did what you said and found lots of unsuccessful logins from all over the world. Only one said 'automatic sync" and that was unsuccessful. I log in many times each day so hopefully all the successful ones were ME! I am going to set up two factor authentication. Interesting is that my current login said successful login but underneath it said incorrect password entered. It said it 15 times!!!! What is up with that?
It's unfortunate but, at this point, all of us have to assume at least one of our online accounts has been breached and hackers were able to steal our login credentials for the site. Hackers then start trying the stolen account credentials against commonly used web sites to see where they might get work (esp ones that give them payback for their effort) like bank, email and investment accounts.

That's why best practice is using two factor authentication wherever it's an option. This way, stolen credentials from one account isn't enough to break into another of your sites if you reuse the same credentials. Also, while it's good practice NOT to reuse the same password on any two sites, at minimum, identify your hi-risk sites where financial or other damage can be done if someone got in: such as your bank, email, and investment accounts. Change all those passwords to assure they're unique.
Thank you. Yes, all my passwords are unique. I do not re-use any passwords.
talzara

Post by talzara »

LookinAround wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:11 am It's unfortunate but, at this point, all of us have to assume at least one of our online accounts has been breached and hackers were able to steal our login credentials for the site. Hackers then start trying the stolen account credentials against commonly used web sites to see where they might get work (esp ones that give them payback for their effort) like bank, email and investment accounts.
You'll see unsuccessful login attempts even if none of your accounts has been breached.

For example, if they breach your friend's account, they'll also have your email address. Then they'll try to login to your email with your friend's password. People often send email to themselves, so every email address in their inbox might be their own.