Where to donate recumbent exercise bike

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
WGP3

Where to donate recumbent exercise bike

Post by WGP3 »

My MIL is downsizing and no longer has space for this. We’ve listed it in several places (FB Maketplace, OfferUp, Etc) as available for free but no responses. Our local Goodwill will not take exercise equipment. Any ideas for other places that might want it for free? Thx!
jebmke

Re: Where to donate recumbent exercise bike

Post by jebmke »

I'd be inclined to check with a senior center or something similar.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I dropped mine off at a Goodwill store and they took it. Try a Salvation Army or St. Vincent De Paul. Otherwise there used to be a company called Play it Again, or Second Wind, that sells used equipment. I don’t know if these places still exist
Able was I ere I saw Elba
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

Try listing it for $20 and someone will probably pay you for it. Seriously, give it a shot for a day or two.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I put things on the curb with a free sign on Saturday mornings. Everything is usually gone in 30 minutes.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

In our area, a real surprise has been that ANYTHING left by the curb seems to magically vanish within about an hour, and often much sooner.

This has involved broken bookcases or slightly "tilty" (off balance/broken) recliners or an upholstered chair where it is obvious there are broken springs in the seat.
(We wish we had thought to "put those things out there" ages earlier, rather than stashing them in a corner or such!)

This is a relatively upscale area.
On NextDoor, there are sometimes complaints that someone was loading their car for a trip and had something like a stroller just sitting out nearby, and... poof, gone.
Yup, that might have been a different "issue", but it really might not have been...

When our HVAC crew was here last week, we asked if they could take some large items to the curb. They looked at me like I was crazy, but they did it (and we tipped them nicely; these were heavy items and stairs were involved).

DH looked outside about 20 minutes later, and asked where I had put the items, because he couldn't see them. Ha. They were already gone. And for those, someone would have needed something like a pickup truck, not a simple sedan.

I've always worried that the police might stop by to tell us not to "litter", or whatever town regulation/law we are violating, but it all happens so fast!
(I suspect they'd only stop to talk with us if they saw something continue to sit there, and that's never happened.)

It's a real Win/WIn!
:happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:53 am In our area, a real surprise has been that ANYTHING left by the curb seems to magically vanish within about an hour, and often much sooner.
I had that thought as well. Some HOAs or local officials might slam you but around here, it is common.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Check for free cycle groups in your area. When helping my parents clear out, I use whatever online sales service is popular, such as Facebook Marketplace. That elliptical was unfun to move, I just wanted someone to come and take.it away.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

I had some gym equipment to offload, including a recumbant bike, but as I don't use social media and no charity would take the equipment, I "marketed" to some of the workers around the house until I got a taker. They came by one evening and cleared away the equipment. They were extremely grateful and couldn't believe I wanted to get rid of it!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Some people harvest goods left on the curb just for the scrap
metal value. They all have pickup trucks. You can make a fair bit of change that way but it involves work (hauling to the scrap company).
Able was I ere I saw Elba
UM70

Post by UM70 »

I would consider taking it apart for easy handling and then taking it to a scrap metal place that will pay you for it; proceeds could go to a favorite charity.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

I listed mine on Craigslist under 'free stuff' and it was scooped up in a day.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

WGP3 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:33 am We’ve listed it in several places (FB Maketplace, OfferUp, Etc) as available for free but no responses.
That's kind of shocking, actually. Is there a FB "buy nothing" group nearby? Did you include a picture and/or indicate that it works? Are you in a very rural/remote area? Even broken stuff gets scooped up quick, if you're in a metro area, as the scrap value alone makes it worthwhile for someone
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Phone around to all the charity shops in your area. Goodwill can be the most restrictive but others (e.g. St. Vinny) take all sorts of junk.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Teague

Post by Teague »

jebmke wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:05 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:53 am In our area, a real surprise has been that ANYTHING left by the curb seems to magically vanish within about an hour, and often much sooner.
I had that thought as well. Some HOAs or local officials might slam you but around here, it is common.
This works well for us too. Put it out there with a "FREE" sign on it. If that doesn't work, change the sign to something like "20.00" and it should disappear overnight.
Semper Augustus
Supergrover

Post by Supergrover »

You can donate it to a “day program” for young adults with disabilities.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

We recently listed a free exercise bike on Nextdoor and several neighbors inquired. Someone came by in 4 hours and picked it up.
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VOO, VT, VXUS) Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO)