4" media filter - replace with Honeywell or something else?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NYCaviator

4" media filter - replace with Honeywell or something else?

Post by NYCaviator »

We got a 4" filter box installed with our new HVAC system. It's a Honeywell branded box that the filter slides into. Are there better filters to use for these media filter boxes, or are the 10-13 MERV Honeywell filters you get at Home Depot ok? (We have two dogs and live in a city, so pollution is an issue).
snackdog

Re: 4" media filter - replace with Honeywell or something else?

Post by snackdog »

Stick with Honeywell - they are excellent.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Consider not going above the MERV spec specified by your furnace & blower.
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

neilpilot wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:32 am Consider not going above the MERV spec specified by your furnace & blower.
It's rated for the MERV they installed (which I think is MERV 13 / FPR 10). Whatever the MERV is, it's the only one they sell at Home Depot. I don't think you can get the 4" filters in anything lower.

I've seen Aprilaire and some other aftermarket filters, but not sure if they work in the Honeywell boxes, or if they are any better.
bobn60014

Post by bobn60014 »

NYCaviator wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:56 am

It's rated for the MERV they installed (which I think is MERV 13 / FPR 10). Whatever the MERV is, it's the only one they sell at Home Depot. I don't think you can get the 4" filters in anything lower.

I've seen Aprilaire and some other aftermarket filters, but not sure if they work in the Honeywell boxes, or if they are any better.
As long as the size and MERV are the same, aftermarkets will work fine.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

One of my furnace blowers has a suggested limit of MERV11. The vendor I use for those 25x25x4 filters offers that size (and most others) in MERV 8, 11 and 13.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

neilpilot wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:10 am
One of my furnace blowers has a suggested limit of MERV11. The vendor I use for those 25x25x4 filters offers that size (and most others) in MERV 8, 11 and 13.
+1, I use a 20" x 25" x 4" Honeywell MERV 8 from my local Home Depot (Dallas suburb) - no pets, relatively low auto emissions.

For the OP, I think the Honeywell filters are perfectly fine, and the aftermarkets should be too (I used HDX and Nordic Pure for my previous system.)

For general interest:

MERV Ratings - epa.gov

MERV Ratings - filtertime.com

MERV article at wikipedia.org - I learned that FPR is a Home Depot rating system, and MPR is a 3M rating system - no idea why those systems should be necessary :confused
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar »

I'll be the contrarian here and say go with a 3M Filtrete Merv 11 (available at Lowe's)

At the heart of it, both the Honeywell and the 3M use electrostatic fibers (technical term is electrete). These filters use polymer-based fibers with persistent electrical charges to electrostatically trap particles, and 3M contributed a lot to research in this area. So in my books, 3M and Honeywell are well comparable, and I won't pay the premium (~$7/filter) for Honeywell.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

We use filters from this place:

https://filterbuy.com/
BobTexas

Post by BobTexas »

InvisibleAerobar wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:05 am I'll be the contrarian here and say go with a 3M Filtrete Merv 11 (available at Lowe's)

At the heart of it, both the Honeywell and the 3M use electrostatic fibers (technical term is electrete). These filters use polymer-based fibers with persistent electrical charges to electrostatically trap particles, and 3M contributed a lot to research in this area. So in my books, 3M and Honeywell are well comparable, and I won't pay the premium (~$7/filter) for Honeywell.
I use same ones, but got a good price on a 4 pack from Amazon. I’m not sure how often to replace them. How often are you all replacing them?
InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar »

In general, for the ~1,500 sq ft duplex we currently rent, every 4-5 months. I think even every 6 months might be fine.

That said, when we had the smoke from Canada wafting southward, I replaced it after 1.5 months, and it was noticeably sooty when I replaced it.
talzara

Post by talzara »

NYCaviator wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:56 am I've seen Aprilaire and some other aftermarket filters, but not sure if they work in the Honeywell boxes, or if they are any better.
bobn60014 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:03 am As long as the size and MERV are the same, aftermarkets will work fine.
Aprilaire filters have metal rails that connect to the rails on Aprilaire air cleaners. It makes a tighter seal, but it is a nonstandard system.

Standard aftermarket filters will work in a Honeywell air cleaner, but Aprilaire filters will not.