Learning piano at 72 finger problems

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hoops777

Learning piano at 72 finger problems

Post by hoops777 »

I just bought a 61 key keyboard. I always wanted to learn but never did. My grandson is 10 and just starting so I thought it is now or never😊

Just want to have a little fun and be able to play a few simple songs.

I found a really good guy on you tube that has videos and I memorized the keys and now starting with basic chords.

Problem is my fingers are wonky and it is really difficult coordinating my thumb,middle and pinky.
It is so much easier to just use my thumb,index and pinky.

Just wondering if that should be sufficient for my humble goals.
Thanks
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
finite_difference

Re: Learning piano at 72 finger problems

Post by finite_difference »

I would find a good piano teacher to teach you proper technique. Without proper technique, your playing will not sound good, will not feel good, and you risk injuring your hands.

If your grandson is taking lessons, you can sit in on his classes and follow along for free :)
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

hoops777 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:21 pm I just bought a 61 key keyboard. I always wanted to learn but never did. My grandson is 10 and just starting so I thought it is now or never😊

I found a really good guy on you tube that has videos and I memorized the keys and now starting with basic chords.

Problem is my fingers are wonky and it is really difficult coordinating my thumb,middle and pinky.

Thanks
I'm a fellow "senior" like you.
Arthritis in my hands and fingers, tremors, nerve issues in my arms, neck, down to my fingers.
You can't play and sit and all that "by the book". Be comfortable, yet allow your hands to work "naturally" pressing the keys. At this stage of life and health what works is a good thing yet pay attention to fundamentals.

Piano is a "foundation" musical instrument in that it fits the written music and has all the elements of it in a very linear way.

Relax. Play comfortably.

You're doing great.
Maybe some "zoom" lessons???
Private lessons?

Does your grandson take piano lessons?

Have fun.
j :D
I did this with my children with singing, uke, guitar, and now they do it with our grandchildren singing, uke, guitar, piano, etc.
"from Goof to Goof to Goof" Disney.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Thanks.
I will give it a shot but for the simple stuff I will be doing I really thought I could use less fingers.
I will experiment as I get into it some.
I never learned how to type either and always used 1 finger on the keyboard and only use an iPad now.
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

it really depends on your goal.

Proper finger positioning really helps at a certain point, just like with typing; but if you never want to get past that point it's not necessary.

The "problem" with doing it wrong is that if you DO go past that point, you'll have to relearn.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

hoops777 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:50 pm Thanks.
I will give it a shot but for the simple stuff I will be doing I really thought I could use less fingers.
I never learned how to type either and always used 1 finger on the keyboard and only use an iPad now.
To op:
If approached like working around a disability.

So, let's use "chord melody" arrangements as an example:

Then,
3 fingers can play a 3 note chord. Most chords can be done with 3 notes, variations, inverts, etc. Just 3.

Left hand, bass cleff. Single and double notes, runs, 3 note chords. (3 fingers)

Right hand. Single note melody lines, 3 note chords (3 fingers)

So you can play songs in a "chord melody" arrangement like this. When you read the music, you can alter the arrangement as you need as long as you retain the essence of the song. See?

What do you think?
Try it.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

hoops777 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:21 pm I just bought a 61 key keyboard. I always wanted to learn but never did. My grandson is 10 and just starting so I thought it is now or never😊

Thanks
Is the wonky aspect of your fingers an age related issue or simply that they don’t want to cooperate? If the latter, and there are no physical problems, I’d think it may be better to try and work through it with a better technique.

If age related, I’d say screw it and do what works for you.

I’ll also add the my grandfather learned to play the piano and taught himself to read music in his early 80s. His technique was probably not great but he found enjoyment in being good enough to play simple music, which is what it really comes down to.
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:58 am
hoops777 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:50 pm Thanks.
To op:
If approached like working around a disability.

So, let's use "chord melody" arrangements as an example:

Then,
3 fingers can play a 3 note chord. Most chords can be done with 3 notes, variations, inverts, etc. Just 3.

Left hand, bass cleff. Single and double notes, runs, 3 note chords. (3 fingers)

Right hand. Single note melody lines, 3 note chords (3 fingers)

So you can play songs in a "chord melody" arrangement like this. When you read the music, you can alter the arrangement as you need as long as you retain the essence of the song. See?

What do you think?
Try it.
j
This is what I was thinking.
For the level I am happy with it seems like I could achieve it in an unconventional but comfortable way.
I will try.
Thanks!
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

investingdad wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:53 am

Thanks
Is the wonky aspect of your fingers an age related issue or simply that they don’t want to cooperate? If the latter, and there are no physical problems, I’d think it may be better to try and work through it with a better technique.

If age related, I’d say screw it and do what works for you.

I’ll also add the my grandfather learned to play the piano and taught himself to read music in his early 80s. His technique was probably not great but he found enjoyment in being good enough to play simple music, which is what it really comes down to.
I feel better now 😊