Men's T-shirt Recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jayjayc

Men's T-shirt Recommendation

Post by jayjayc »

Please recommend a high quality men’s t-shirt with the criteria listed below. The purpose is for normal casual wear, not working out. Nearly all my t-shirts are free swag. I now feel like wearing plain t-shirts that look good without being a walking billboard.
  • Form-fitting, not baggy.
  • Hugs the arms. I don’t like when the upper corner of the sleeve flares out from the arm like an awning.
  • No logo or hidden logo. e.g. I like how my black shorts has a tiny black logo on the side seam.
  • Plain. No words written anywhere. No graphics. No artwork.
  • Cotton or cotton blend.
For now let’s say there’s no budget. If it’s expensive I’ll likely wait for a deal since I’m in no rush and I only want a few.
Normchad

Re: Men's T-shirt Recommendation

Post by Normchad »

jayjayc wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:21 pm Please recommend a high quality men’s t-shirt with the criteria listed below. The purpose is for normal casual wear, not working out. Nearly all my t-shirts are free swag. I now feel like wearing plain t-shirts that look good without being a walking billboard.
  • Hugs the arms. I don’t like when the upper corner of the sleeve flares out from the arm like an awning.
  • No logo or hidden logo. e.g. I like how my black shorts has a tiny black logo on the side seam.
For now let’s say there’s no budget. If it’s expensive I’ll likely wait for a deal since I’m in no rush and I only want a few.
Check out “shirtspace.com”. They sell blank shirts that screen printers use, but anybody can buy them……. So that will get rid of the logos and what not…..
siriusblack

Post by siriusblack »

TJ Maxx often carries t-shirts that are pretty nice for the price. Many of them fit your criteria.

I forget the name brand but I bought a few (PIMA cotton ones) for $10 each and they are my favorite T-shirts. They have held up really well after numerous washings.
heywhoathere

Post by heywhoathere »

I don't know your definition of "casual wear", but I'm a big fan of Ten Thousand's Durable Shirts https://www.tenthousand.cc/products/durable-shirt

They're marketed as gym shirts but I personally wear them anywhere.
notBobToo

Post by notBobToo »

Are you looking for something like Carmy's t-shirts? Supposedly heavyweight tees from Merz B. Schwanen ($70 and up).
funyun

Post by funyun »

Vuori makes great tees. I'm not sure if they are cotton but they are very soft without being clingy in the wrong places.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I'd go right to Savers. Used stuff and the top notch t shirts are like $8 and if you make a donation of clothes that day, you get a 20% off coupon. You could easily find what you describe at the Savers I go to. Goodwill is another one. Added bonus for me is when I find t shirts with my alma mater's logo on them.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Brunello Cucinelli tees in marl grey is the fit billionaire play.
CWhea1775

Post by CWhea1775 »

Prana from Columbia Sportswear
Bbddl

Post by Bbddl »

I just got a 5 pack from Amazon called Real Essentials 5 pack men's V neck dry fit moisture wicking active athletic tech performance T shirt. I have worn three of the five so far and I love them. Perfect fit, I will see how well they last but for this price I can't go wrong.
$34.95 on Amazon
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Carhartt, durable, and they have a pocket. Get a size smaller if you want a form fit. They have the Carhartt logo, but it's not to big.

https://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Heavywe ... B0CN8CNHGP
WonderWander

Post by WonderWander »

I feel the same way about wearing ads. If you have Costco, you can find a selection of several brands that should meet your needs (online and in-store during the spring/summer months)

Banana Republic, Lands End, Mondetta are ones I’ve seen recently. I personally like Banana Republic but depends a lot on how they fit you. Their Kirkland Signature t-shirts are also decent quality but tend to lose their form after a year. All are typically $10-15 (or less in multi-packs, when on sale).
pomomojo

Post by pomomojo »

jayjayc wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:21 pm Please recommend a high quality men’s t-shirt with the criteria listed below. The purpose is for normal casual wear, not working out. Nearly all my t-shirts are free swag. I now feel like wearing plain t-shirts that look good without being a walking billboard.
No budget
James Perse
Sunspel

Both are minimal and super comfy. Not cheap.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

I buy American Apparel plain 100% cotton L and Next Level plan 100% cotton L. They are the softest most well made I've found without being incredibly pricey, come in cool colors (Sooooo many colors), and discounts around. I buy plain colors online from bulk screen printing type stores
ocean

Post by ocean »

Not to hijack the thread, but, I checked all the recommended sites and still can't find 100 per cent cotton vee neck tee shirt with pocket in colors anywhere. Used to buy goodthreads on amazon , unfortunately they don't seem to carry anymore...
airborne

Post by airborne »

$12 (currently) premium wash t-shirt at Banana Republic factory. Fits the criteria and they're soft after many washes. It's my go-to.

https://bananarepublicfactory.gapfactor ... ge-content
Topic Author
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

Normchad wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:23 pm Check out “shirtspace.com”. They sell blank shirts that screen printers use, but anybody can buy them……. So that will get rid of the logos and what not…..
Thank you for this suggestion. I started browsing Shirtspace, specifically looking for t-shirts where the sleeves hug the arm when I came across Next Level.
nalor511 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:46 pm I buy American Apparel plain 100% cotton L and Next Level plan 100% cotton L. They are the softest most well made I've found without being incredibly pricey, come in cool colors (Sooooo many colors), and discounts around. I buy plain colors online from bulk screen printing type stores
Funny how you compared Next Level to American Apparel. Some of my free swag t-shirts were American Apparel and it was the 1st time I recognized t-shirt quality. For some reason I thought they went out of biz. I'll definitely give Next Level a try especially at that price.

The other suggestions look interesting also. I'll still check them all out.
bogles the mind

Post by bogles the mind »

Old Navy
bobn60014

Post by bobn60014 »

Lands End
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

bogles the mind wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:15 pm Old Navy
A few years ago when I checked ON all had poly, and I was only interested in cotton. I could probably live with modal or bamboo, but no poly in my tshirts
bogles the mind

Post by bogles the mind »

nalor511 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:25 pm
bogles the mind wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:15 pm Old Navy
A few years ago when I checked ON all had poly, and I was only interested in cotton. I could probably live with modal or bamboo, but no poly in my tshirts
They have a 100% cotton tee now. Runs large. $10 on sale. Everything is always on sale there.
bendix

Post by bendix »

What´s wrong with Costco´s Kirkland T-Shirts?
VinoVita

Post by VinoVita »

L.L. Bean
B88

Post by B88 »

100% cotton Gildan shirts come close to the criteria for cheap. Maybe not quite form fitting enough for you around the arms.

Dickies Tees are good and available lots of places. Either with a pocket and a small logo or they make a non-pocket graphic tee which is tagless for people who print up shirts. Those also fit pretty close around the shoulders and arms.
BoomerSooner24

Post by BoomerSooner24 »

https://freshcleantees.com/

I found these to be pretty solid fitting tees that meet your criteria.
rob

Post by rob »

Going to be a personal choice and fit... but try the Duluth long tails.... I don't find them baggy but some fits and shapes could easily.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
UM70

Post by UM70 »

VinoVita wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:38 pmL.L. Bean
+1
WhitePuma

Post by WhitePuma »

Since regular cotton is doused with pesticides, I’d go for 100% GOTS organic cotton. Unless you like wearing pesticides.
kenai

Post by kenai »

Uniqlo
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

WhitePuma wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:07 am Since regular cotton is doused with pesticides, I’d go for 100% GOTS organic cotton. Unless you like wearing pesticides.
lol. How long does it last?

I spray my birding clothes with permethrin.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

Another vote for Banana Republic. I just bought a couple of these.

https://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/p ... ge-content
evelynmanley

Post by evelynmanley »

Designairohio

Post by Designairohio »

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Vuori has some very nice ones
“Anyone may arrange his affairs so that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which best pays the treasury.” | ― Judge Learned Hand
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

Hanes sells plain t shirts in any color you want with no logos. Even sell them in variety packs so you can get multiple colors of the same shirt.
Laundry_Service

Post by Laundry_Service »

I'm a fan of the Target $8 tee shirts. Nice variety of colors and have held up well for me. Have had some shirts with regular wear for several years and they still look and fit well. These have been my go to for several years. I also like the LL Bean shirts but they don't fit as well but the material is more substantial.
diabelli

Post by diabelli »

Luca Faloni made in Italy
3 types: silk-cotton, linen, and cashmere-cotton blend.
fishtwofry

Post by fishtwofry »

Designairohio wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:55 am True Classic

https://www.trueclassictees.com/
+1. Also J. Crew.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

Been shopping at Costco for my clothes recently. No recommendations, but try Costco. I got 2 new t-shirts from Costco the other day (not necessarily meeting your requirements) but I love them. Also bought a new pair of New Balance shoes on the cheap and wide width. Fits me very well and I didn't even try them in the store (I wasn't wearing socks at the time). I figured that I could replace them if they didn't fit, but no worries when I brought them home and put on some socks.
WhitePuma

Post by WhitePuma »

jebmke wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:41 am
WhitePuma wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:07 am Since regular cotton is doused with pesticides, I’d go for 100% GOTS organic cotton. Unless you like wearing pesticides.

It doesn’t go away.
Topic Author
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

notBobToo wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:34 pm Are you looking for something like Carmy's t-shirts? Supposedly heavyweight tees from Merz B. Schwanen ($70 and up).
I didn't know what you were talking about so I did a search. Haha, yes that's the fit I'm looking for. Posting a photo of Carmy for those that are unfamiliar. Notice how the sleeves wrap around his arms instead of flaring out.

JBSjr

Post by JBSjr »

rob wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:36 pm Going to be a personal choice and fit... but try the Duluth long tails.... I don't find them baggy but some fits and shapes could easily.
Try Duluth Trading. Go a size smaller to fit tighter
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

WhitePuma wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:14 am

It doesn’t go away.
I guess it can't come off on the skin then.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
WhitePuma

Post by WhitePuma »

jebmke wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:31 am
WhitePuma wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:14 am

It doesn’t go away.
I guess it can't come off on the skin then.
Haha smarty pants. I thought you meant with laundering/washing.
Organochlorine pesticides slowly absorb into skin as they are lipophilic. https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/ag ... nd%20mirex.
CascadiaSoonish

Post by CascadiaSoonish »

Cheap t-shirts tend to look like cheap t-shirts. Personally, I think it's worth it to get quality. American Apparel, Prana, Icebreaker. It's not that much more $ and the difference is noticeable.
TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

Fresh Clean Tees have nice fitted t-shirts:

https://freshcleantees.com/collections/fresh-clean-tees

As does True Classic:

"Give a cat a fish and it will eat for a day. Teach a cat to fish and it will just sit there waiting for you to give it a fish."
Matt62

Post by Matt62 »

I'm a big fan of Next Level Tri-Blend t-shirts. Very comfortable, doesn't wrinkle and cost effective.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014W ... 9GRE&psc=1

-M
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Designairohio wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:55 am True Classic

+1
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

B88 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:48 pm 100% cotton Gildan shirts come close to the criteria for cheap. Maybe not quite form fitting enough for you around the arms.

Dickies Tees are good and available lots of places. Either with a pocket and a small logo or they make a non-pocket graphic tee which is tagless for people who print up shirts. Those also fit pretty close around the shoulders and arms.
I found the Gildan to be soft at first, but after a wash they really roughen up compared to American Apparel and Next Level. Night and day. Go to a thrift store that has a lot of tshirts that have been through many washes, and try them on, that's how I settled on AA and NL

I also really like Uniqlo 100% Supima Cotton t-shirts, but they are about 3-4x the cost (even on sale/promo) as the NL/AA shirts from blank screen print sites
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Onlineid3089 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:31 am Hanes sells plain t shirts in any color you want with no logos. Even sell them in variety packs so you can get multiple colors of the same shirt.
I bought two Hanes Beefy tee-shirts for a tie-dye birthday party for our youngest granddaughter. All the invited kids made tie-dye tee-shirts and my granddaughter made me two.

Shirts are heavy duty, certainly beefier than most. The tie-dye is gradually fading but the shirts are just getting more comfortable each time I wear one.

Unless I'm leaving the house I almost always put on a white tee-shirt from Costco, $24.99 for a six-pack. I've never worn one out, mine usually die from a stain I've managed to attract.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain