recent F150 recall - wait?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
biscuit5

recent F150 recall - wait?

Post by biscuit5 »

Anyone affected by the recent F150 recall?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ford-recal ... ing-gears/

Q: Wondering if its wise to "wait" awhile before getting this managed at a dealer (?) so any bugs in the process get worked out and I don't end up doing this 2x or getting an inferior repair if the process gets updated later etc

I called the local dealer last week and I was their first call on it, so, it got me wondering.....I don't want to be the 'test case' at my local dealer where techs may be fumbling around figuring out what to do etc.

Have had no issues w/ the vehicle IRT this recall otherwise. Thanks.
bobn60014

Re: recent F150 recall - wait?

Post by bobn60014 »

Wait until you actually receive a recall notice. From that article.....

"Dealers will update the powertrain control software at no cost to owners, who will be notified by letters in early July."

The dealer will receive detailed instructions on how to fix, in this case its just a software update. Nothing particularly difficult.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I personally wouldn't have any issues being the first on an issue like this. The issue is serious enough it can do a lot more damage to my vehicle should it occur or perhaps to my life if it caused me to crash. Secondly, though it may be the dealer's first repair on the recall, their service bulletins are based on lots of others being repaired/corrected and are quite detailed on proper steps. I've had probably a dozen recall repair jobs over the years and I've never had to go back in because one of them was botched.

Like above though, I wouldn't worry until I've received the actual recall notice in the mail.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

I didn't see anything in the notice that gave enough info to know if any specific 2014 F150 is included, so I'd do nothing until you get a letter stating your truck is included and then schedule the fix at your convenience.
Topic Author
biscuit5

Post by biscuit5 »

Thanks for replies.

Note - If one runs their VIN on the Ford site, one can see if their vehicle falls under the recall regardless of receiving a letter. USPS here isn't great (frequent lost mail).

Anyway, being 'first' with things isn't always best (my experience). Waiting for bugs/kinks to work out can prove fruitful.
WhatsIRR

Post by WhatsIRR »

I’m affected by this recall as well, I need to find a dealership I want to go to, my recent experience with the one closest to my house was less than satisfactory. I’m unsure when I’ll try to schedule it to get done. I verified with VIN as well.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I would schedule ASAP.
zag00

Post by zag00 »

FYI, this happened to my 2013 back in 2021-2022. The software update is a band-aid fix. The lead frame in the transmission is the faulty part. It was covered under a 10yr/150k mile warranty when i had the repair done. I'd assume its close to being applied to the 2014 MY as well. Any 6R80 equipped F150 is effected. Have seen multiple forum posts with 2015 and 2016 MY F150's having the same issue.

Symptoms i had:
Low speed creeping in a parking lot, wouldn't shift out of 1st.
Hwy speed, wouldn't shift out of 5th gear.

I harassed the service advisor at the time to get me in ASAP as i was transporting my 2 kids back and forth to school at the time and it obviously wasn't safe in all driving situations. Thankfully, although during COVID, i was able to limp it along until they could get the part in 4wks.

Definitely insist on a MotorCraft brand lead frame is you are to get it repaired by a 3rd party. The cheaper Dorman brand has multiple reports of not correcting the issue.
Topic Author
biscuit5

Post by biscuit5 »

ended up just being a software update. Ford guy came by the house and did the update actually. Was pretty painless. So, its done.