Best suv lane-keeping systems?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RationalWalk

Best suv lane-keeping systems?

Post by RationalWalk »

I just completed a long 3-day drive of 1300 miles over both interstate and two-lane highways, driving my new 2024 Honda CRV hybrid Sport Touring. I have to admit that I was less than crazy about the performance of the lane-keeping assistance system (LKAS). It wasn't as steady as I would have liked, exhibiting some wandering and a tendency to run too close to the center line. It wasn't horrible, but over many miles I found it tiring rather than helpful because I had to use more active steering input to keep it where I wanted it rather than being able to relax. Having owned the previous generation of Honda CRV, it had a superior LKAS, so Honda has apparently taken a step backward in this technology.

I'm making notes of this, because when I buy another vehicle in the near future this will be on my list of things to check out before writing out the check. In this regard, I'd appreciate any input from drivers of other recent SUVs in regard to the performance of the lane-keeping system over long hauls. Which ones are great and which ones are less than great? I'm particularly interested in SUVs that 2-rows in the same size class as the new Honda CRV.
“Meteorologists” are the MOST accurate predictors of the future -- for the next 3-days...
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Re: Best suv lane-keeping systems?

Post by Sandtrap »

RationalWalk wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:27 pm I just completed a long 3-day drive of 1300 miles over both interstate and two-lane highways, driving my new 2024 Honda CRV hybrid Sport Touring. I have to admit that I was less than crazy about the performance of the lane-keeping assistance system (LKAS). It wasn't as steady as I would have liked, exhibiting some wandering and a tendency to run too close to the center line. It wasn't horrible, but over many miles I found it tiring rather than helpful because I had to use more active steering input to keep it where I wanted it rather than being able to relax. Having owned the previous generation of Honda CRV, it had a superior LKAS, so Honda has apparently taken a step backward in this technology.

I'm making notes of this, because when I buy another vehicle in the near future this will be on my list of things to check out before writing out the check. In this regard, I'd appreciate any input from drivers of other recent SUVs in regard to the performance of the lane-keeping system over long hauls. Which ones are great and which ones are less than great? I'm particularly interested in SUVs that 2-rows in the same size class as the new Honda CRV.
2023 still new, Honda Passport Elite AWD.
Excellent "lane keeping" and driver radar assist features, adaptive cruise control, emergency braking, etc.
Larger and heavier than the CRV.

"hands off" it will steer itself down the road including curves on a gentle road. Cruise control has distance keeping variables to be set and will brake on approaching another car as needed. Curb sensing will also brake or stop the car if it thinks it's going to leave the road. Emergency avoidance, will stop the car if sensing any obstacle or not braking soon enough.

Here's a Youtube video: Honda assist, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaY1G_7tMNE

When are you buying your new car?

j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Are you looking for hands off or hands on?

I drove a toyota rental that would help nudge the steering wheel as long as you kept your hands on the wheel and provided occasional resistance. It started beeping with about more than 5 seconds of hands off. Didnt seem to obtrusive and actually took awhile for me to notice it.
bobn60014

Post by bobn60014 »

My 2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid LKS does fairly well on well marked pavements. With any pavement with faded or non-existent markings, or at off-on ramps, even though I'm always hands on (lightly at times) anyway, I will take full control or disconnect if I sense or feel a issue.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Tesla for sure.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

My Toyota Highlander Hybrid does a nice job. I do keep my hands on the wheel though.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

I have a 23 Ridgeline rtl-e that I think does well and I believe would be the same platform as the Passport and Pilot, but perhaps those have already been updated to something newer. It certainly isn't hands free, but it'll go around curves and such by itself and right or wrong makes it much easier for me to reach back to my toddler in a rear facing car seat when needed.

It's much better than what is in my wife's 24 Mazda CX-5, though apparently they have some lane centering option in higher trim levels that would do what my Ridgeline does. Her car seems to just alert you when you're crossing a line.
anagram

Post by anagram »

RationalWalk wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:27 pm I just completed a long 3-day drive of 1300 miles over both interstate and two-lane highways, driving my new 2024 Honda CRV hybrid Sport Touring. I have to admit that I was less than crazy about the performance of the lane-keeping assistance system (LKAS). It wasn't as steady as I would have liked, exhibiting some wandering and a tendency to run too close to the center line. It wasn't horrible, but over many miles I found it tiring rather than helpful because I had to use more active steering input to keep it where I wanted it rather than being able to relax. Having owned the previous generation of Honda CRV, it had a superior LKAS, so Honda has apparently taken a step backward in this technology.

Maybe you should have your 2024 Honda CRV checked. My 2024 Honda CRV LKAS is perfect. I disagree Honda has taken a step backward.
snic

Post by snic »

'21 Rav4 Prime. I absolutely detest LKA and have turned it off. I don't want to constantly fight the car. I've tried it in other cars (don't remember which, probably some rental cars) and didn't like it in those cars either. No idea what the point is.
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

I've heard Blue Cruise is real good from Ford. Not sure what comes with it.

https://www.ford.com/technology/bluecruise/

Friend has it and likes it.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Glad to see this thread. I usually buy Honda/Acura, but my newest is 2017. And the Lane Keepimg systems in all of the, have been utterly useless. So,I’d love to hear confirmation that Honda has got that sorted out.

My next car will very likely be either a Toyota or Lexus with their “Safety System 3.0”, so,I’d like to hear how well that works for people.

Seems like Hyundai and Merceds have this figured out.

My Tesla system was awesome. I could really feel the difference in my body after a 6+ hour drive. So I’d like to capture that benefit too in whatever I buy next.
Topic Author
RationalWalk

Post by RationalWalk »

anagram wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:06 pm

Maybe you should have your 2024 Honda CRV checked. My 2024 Honda CRV LKAS is perfect. I disagree Honda has taken a step backward.
Did have the Honda service where I bought it check. All they did was drive it down the road a mile or so and said :thumbsup Totally inadequate as you might expect the typical Dealer wave off. You gotta drive a longer way to get the gist of the shortcomings. There has to be a way to competently check these things but I don't know what it is. Do you? Would appreciate any assistance.
“Meteorologists” are the MOST accurate predictors of the future -- for the next 3-days...
anagram

Post by anagram »

RationalWalk wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:30 pm

Did have the Honda service where I bought it check. All they did was drive it down the road a mile or so and said :thumbsup Totally inadequate as you might expect the typical Dealer wave off. You gotta drive a longer way to get the gist of the shortcomings. There has to be a way to competently check these things but I don't know what it is. Do you? Would appreciate any assistance.
Yes have the cameras calibrated.
Topic Author
RationalWalk

Post by RationalWalk »

In my view, the lane-keeping system should keep the vehicle centered in the lane with very little wandering. Sometimes variations in level road surface can cause wandering, but the system should be able to react quickly to this. It should also be effective at avoiding crossing over the center line on curves, which mine occasionally does not. It's disappointing to get a lane departure warning when the thing avoiding lane departure is supposed to be the lane-keeping system. It should also not be biased off-center, which mine is (biased left toward the center line). I notice passing vehicles on the interstate get further to the the left in their lane because mine is too close to the center line, so it's not my imagination. I get tired of fighting it and it's actually easier on me to turn it off. IMO, my Honda lane keeping system is a work in progress and will be one of the reasons I ditch it pretty soon for another choice.
Topic Author
RationalWalk

Post by RationalWalk »

anagram wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:57 pm

Does the dealer do this?
anagram

Post by anagram »

RationalWalk wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:59 pm In my view, the lane-keeping system should keep the vehicle centered in the lane with very little wandering. Sometimes variations in level road surface can cause wandering, but the system should be able to react quickly to this. It should also be effective at avoiding crossing over the center line on curves, which mine occasionally does not. It's disappointing to get a lane departure warning when the thing avoiding lane departure is supposed to be the lane-keeping system. It should also not be biased off-center, which mine is (biased left toward the center line). I notice passing vehicles on the interstate get further to the the left in their lane because mine is too close to the center line, so it's not my imagination. I get tired of fighting it and it's actually easier on me to turn it off. IMO, my Honda lane keeping system is a work in progress and will be one of the reasons I ditch it pretty soon for another choice.
Again your experience is not the same as mine. I think your CR-V has problems that need to be addressed. I would escalate to the regional manager if a dealer is not helpful. Also try another dealer. You have a warranty.
anagram

Post by anagram »

RationalWalk wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:59 pm

Does the dealer do this?
Yes. They have to if a windshield is replaced. It could also be the electronics.
chuckwalla

Post by chuckwalla »

Hyundai Tucson or Kia Sportage with Highway Driving Assist has your name on it.
JPH

Post by JPH »

It's only meant to assist the driver. Don't expect anything more.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
alexbogle

Post by alexbogle »

Definitely not subaru
"Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It’s cheaper!” -- Jack Bogle
Topic Author
RationalWalk

Post by RationalWalk »

According to CR, the performance standouts for speed control + lane keeping are:

Ford BlueCruise
Lincoln BlueCruise

Mercedes-Benz
Driver Assistance

BMW
Driving Assistance Professional

Toyota Safety Sense 3.0
Lexus Safety System+ 3.0

Tesla
Autopilot

Regarding lane-keeping per se:
When it comes to LCA, the systems from Ford, Mercedes-Benz, and Tesla all gave smooth steering inputs and did a good job of keeping the car at or near the center of the lane on both straight and curvy roads. This type of performance gives confidence to the driver that these systems are highly capable.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/ca ... 03632203/
Topic Author
RationalWalk

Post by RationalWalk »

anagram wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:01 pm
RationalWalk wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:59 pm

Does the dealer do this?
Yes. They have to if a windshield is replaced. It could also be the electronics.
Ah yes. But wouldn't that be the body shop for windshield?
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

I don't put a lot of faith in lane-keeping systems; I'd rather focus on adaptive cruise control systems for long-haul driving.

The problem with lane-keeping systems is that they rely on the quality of the painted lanes. Worn lanes or light-colored concrete roads (like we have in Texas) make lane-keeping systems unreliable if they can't find the lane markings.

-B
cmr79

Post by cmr79 »

The YouTube channel Out of Spec Reviews has an ADAS evaluation called the "Hogback Challenge" that you might want to check out. The channel focuses mostly on EVs, but ADAS technology should function the same for brands that have both EVs and ICE/hybrid vehicles.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVa4 ... MYlwPlAURu
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

BMW has an excellent system IMO. It's the driver assistance professional (DAP) option.

The package includes lane keeping, adaptive cruise control, and auto lane change (initiate by half tapping turn stalk). Lane keeping requires a hand on the steering wheel. It's very good at maintaining a lane without wandering.

Highway assist is also included in the package. On certain mapped interstates you can let go of the steering wheel and the car will maintain the lane with adaptive cruise on. The newest version can go up to 85 mph in this mode. An interior cam monitors your eyes and will warn you if you look away from the road too long.

The capability of DAP varies by model and year. You want to research before you buy.
bendix

Post by bendix »

When I still rented cars regularly, a couple of years ago, Toyota and Nissan had the best lane keep assist. Honda, from the my only 6m old experience, has a very soso system that I felt is slightly oscillating between the sides of the lane. And felt worse than what Toyota or Nissan could do 5 years ago.

Hyundai and Kia are leaders in that space as per the internet but I never tried one.
TravellingTechOnFire

Post by TravellingTechOnFire »

I've used Kia's and Tesla's. In comparison, Kia is almost unusable, Tesla is almost flawless.
paulsalem

Post by paulsalem »

Tesla or add https://www.comma.ai/openpilot to an existing system, both are life changing.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

RationalWalk wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:55 pm According to CR, the performance standouts for speed control + lane keeping are:

Mercedes-Benz
Driver Assistance

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/ca ... 03632203/
I can attest to this. 2022 GLE350W4. Even with faded markings it works perfectly.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Paradoxical Stoat

Post by Paradoxical Stoat »

2023 CRV

It took me a few months to figure out the CRV lane keeping system, but it seems like it mainly keeps my arms/wrists/hands from getting tired due to the tiny amount of steering need to keep the car where in the lane I want. That's it.

Put another way, I have to supply all the coarse adjustments (like a microscope) and the lane keeping system provides some of the fine adjustment.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

alexbogle wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:40 pm Definitely not subaru
I don't agree. I have a 2022 Forester and I love the Subaru eyesight system.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

My understanding is that these systems are a nanny that sometimes keeps a tired/intoxicated/distracted driver from barreling across four lanes of traffic due to their negligence. They are not intended as a self-driving system, or to reduce the need to drive.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

BogleMelon wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:44 am
alexbogle wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:40 pm Definitely not subaru
I don't agree. I have a 2022 Forester and I love the Subaru eyesight system.
Outback '24 here.

It does a quarter-decent job on relatively straight roads, but it's sudden broad steering wheel movements make my wife queasy in the passenger's seat.

There simply is no way any (and I do mean ANY) purely sight-based self-driving system can do as good a job as an attentive human, because we do not drive purely by sight.

Just like riding a bicycle, there is also vestibular system involvement that allows us to make necessary micro-adjustments before our eyes (or car's camera systems) perceive visible deviations from the intended path.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

livesoft wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:54 pm Tesla for sure.
This. I've never been more stress free and relaxed going on road trips on my Model Y. It's not hands free and I despise people who use weights to trick the system. I keep my eyes on the road all the time but I can let my mind wander a bit. It works extremely well in long stretches of highway even on curves. Sometimes it goes a bit too fast maintaining speeds even on curves but you can decelerate easily.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

paulsalem wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:24 am Tesla or add https://www.comma.ai/openpilot to an existing system, both are life changing.
Very interesting.
paulsalem

Post by paulsalem »

Dottie57 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:55 pm
paulsalem wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:24 am Tesla or add https://www.comma.ai/openpilot to an existing system, both are life changing.
Very interesting.
I had it for years in my 2017 crv. Message me if you want details. It's phenomenal. I now have a tesla and if I ever buy a second car it will have to be open pilot compatible.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

harrychan wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:20 pm
This. I've never been more stress free and relaxed going on road trips on my Model Y. It's not hands free and I despise people who use weights to trick the system. I keep my eyes on the road all the time but I can let my mind wander a bit. It works extremely well in long stretches of highway even on curves. Sometimes it goes a bit too fast maintaining speeds even on curves but you can decelerate easily.
+2 for Tesla. (and their recent update will shut autopilot down and ban people who keep trying to cheat with things like weights)

Tesla's technology is pretty amazing. Tesla constantly pushes software updates to their cars, while most other manufacturers do not. This means that they can tweak the software and improve it over time as long as the hardware in the car supports it.

People should also remember that there is a big difference between auto-steering and lane keeping. Many cars' "lane keep assist" feature is meant to keep you from inadvertently drifting into another lane, it's not meant to actually steer the car.

I've used the Subaru Eyesight before and it was complete trash. The lane keep was all over the place and the radar cruise control would accelerate up to traffic ahead before suddenly slamming on the brakes when it would realize there was a car. It was actually dangerous.

My last Volvo was pretty good, but still nowhere near as smooth as Tesla.
Topic Author
RationalWalk

Post by RationalWalk »

A better term is "lane centering system" rather than "lane keeping system". This makes clear what we're talking about is the system for keeping the vehicle in the middle of the lane in which it is traveling by making small steering adjustments. Unfortunately, car manufacturers are not using standard terminology for their automated driving systems. Honda uses Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS), which is a combination of lane-centering and lane departure warning systems.
anagram

Post by anagram »

RationalWalk wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:03 pm A better term is "lane centering system" rather than "lane keeping system". This makes clear what we're talking about is the system for keeping the vehicle in the middle of the lane in which it is traveling by making small steering adjustments. Unfortunately, car manufacturers are not using standard terminology for their automated driving systems. Honda uses Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS), which is a combination of lane-centering and lane departure warning systems.
This is not correct. Honda LKAS and lane departure are two separate concepts.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pub ... 89510.html

Look up Honda Sensing and you will see them talk about both separately.

I was not aware of standard terminology for automated driving systems. Who provides that?
Topic Author
RationalWalk

Post by RationalWalk »

anagram wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:02 am
RationalWalk wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:03 pm A better term is "lane centering system" rather than "lane keeping system". This makes clear what we're talking about is the system for keeping the vehicle in the middle of the lane in which it is traveling by making small steering adjustments. Unfortunately, car manufacturers are not using standard terminology for their automated driving systems. Honda uses Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS), which is a combination of lane-centering and lane departure warning systems.

I was not aware of standard terminology for automated driving systems. Who provides that?
Not that it's important to argue, but according to my 2024 Driver's Manual, LKAS consists of lane centering + lane departure warning.

From the Manual:
Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
Provides steering input to help keep the vehicle in the middle of a detected lane and provides tactile and visual alerts if the vehicle is detected drifting out of its lane.
That's the way it works on my vehicle. When I press the LKAS button I get both lane centering assist and the steering wheel vibration warnings are activated when I cross lane lines without signaling.

There is also a lane departure mitigation system that you can activate separately. When activated this system enables braking and steering assist to help keep you on the road if you are going off the side. That's not part of LKAS.

The terminology varies all over the place, so it's hard to keep it straight. My clarification was that I was addressing the topic of lane centering assist with my comments about the CRV. Next time I'll be sure to test drive this feature before I buy to make sure it's ready for prime time.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

snic wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:09 pm '21 Rav4 Prime. I absolutely detest LKA and have turned it off. I don't want to constantly fight the car. I've tried it in other cars (don't remember which, probably some rental cars) and didn't like it in those cars either. No idea what the point is.
So you're saying you don't try to text on a cell phone or watch movies on the dash display?

:D
anagram

Post by anagram »

RationalWalk wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:49 am
anagram wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:02 am

Not that it's important to argue, but according to my 2024 Driver's Manual, LKAS consists of lane centering + lane departure warning.

From the Manual:
Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
Provides steering input to help keep the vehicle in the middle of a detected lane and provides tactile and visual alerts if the vehicle is detected drifting out of its lane.
That's the way it works on my vehicle. When I press the LKAS button I get both lane centering assist and the steering wheel vibration warnings are activated when I cross lane lines without signaling.

There is also a lane departure mitigation system that you can activate separately. When activated this system enables braking and steering assist to help keep you on the road if you are going off the side. That's not part of LKAS.

The terminology varies all over the place, so it's hard to keep it straight. My clarification was that I was addressing the topic of lane centering assist with my comments about the CRV. Next time I'll be sure to test drive this feature before I buy to make sure it's ready for prime time.
The link above is the manual! Yes I agree, two buttons, two features. I have a 2024 also.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

NYCaviator wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:40 pm People should also remember that there is a big difference between auto-steering and lane keeping. Many cars' "lane keep assist" feature is meant to keep you from inadvertently drifting into another lane, it's not meant to actually steer the car.
My 2023 Volvo XC60 has both Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) and Pilot Assist (PA). PA auto-steers the car to follow the lane. LKA is more of an emergency system to correct driver error. You can switch between the two with a button on the steering wheel. Both require well marked lanes.

Both take some getting used to. If lanes are poorly (or intermittently) marked it can be a surprise when PA temporarily turns itself off through a poorly-marked stretch. Construction areas can be tricky!

PA is more useful than LKA. I use PA whenever conditions are favorable: well-marked gentle curves.

When I first got a car with adaptive cruise control, I felt it was disingenuous to call something cruise control that was not adaptive -- non-adaptive CC may just ram you into the car ahead! Pretty poor control, although mine gave a warning: "APPLY BRAKES!" flashing red on the dash. Pilot Assist is the next step in this progression. But it is still only an assist and not a self driving feature.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ucla-engineer

Post by ucla-engineer »

Tesla by far, it will likely get you to your destination without any interventions.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Tesla doesn’t have lidar, so I wouldn’t put it as best.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

You might look into getting a Comma 3X system for your 2024 Honda before buying a completely new car.

https://comma.ai/shop/comma-3x

This Consumer Reports study ranked the different driver assist systems and the Comma came out on top, easily beating Tesla and besting Cadillac: https://data.consumerreports.org/wp-con ... 6-2020.pdf
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Topic Author
RationalWalk

Post by RationalWalk »

finite_difference wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:32 pm

You might look into getting a Comma 3X system for your 2024 Honda before buying a completely new car.

https://comma.ai/shop/comma-3x

This Consumer Reports study ranked the different driver assist systems and the Comma came out on top, easily beating Tesla and besting Cadillac: https://data.consumerreports.org/wp-con ... 6-2020.pdf
Unfortunately, my 2024 CRV Hybrid isn't listed as a compatible vehicle for this system.

My link above is more recent (Oct 2023), but doesn't include the comma-3x:
https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/ca ... 103632203/

Interestingly, Honda's system is an also-ran in both articles so hasn't gotten any better since 2020.
John Z

Post by John Z »

snic wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:09 pm '21 Rav4 Prime. I absolutely detest LKA and have turned it off. I don't want to constantly fight the car. I've tried it in other cars (don't remember which, probably some rental cars) and didn't like it in those cars either. No idea what the point is.
Absolutely agree detesting any lane guidance assistance from any vehicle (and immediately turn them off when in a rental). And judging by the comments here I'm shocked at how many people potentially use these systems if this is a cross section of drivers. Judging by the evaluations of different vehicle brands here people must really rely on them enough to grade/evaluate them from mfr. to mfr.

I have always given my driving the utmost attention and do not rely on any active driver help besides mirrors and the recent blind spot warning systems over the last several years. Use back-up cameras too and collision avoidance if it sounds but it's usually a false alarm or an early alarm that I am aware of. I am always shocked to see people in vehicle TV commercials driving without hands, even on a bridge or a pick up truck pulling a trailer. Are you kidding me??? I realize Tesla is the leader in this technology but I still wouldn't use it if I drove a Tesla.

There are so many distracted drivers with other distractions (phone, music, conversation and more) including lane assist technology which adds to their distractions. How does lane correction work on a two-way road when another driver is trending OVER the yellow line headed for you? By the time you realize the situation it could easily be too late. Surprise animals that pop out onto the road. You must give full attention to oncoming traffic. These systems in my opinion subtract from the driving attention span of people and help cause accidents or cause users to react more slowly to a situation.

I rarely speed more than 5 mph over the posted limit (usually to take advantage of an interstate lane change for passing) and never have had an accident in 60 years of driving other than a no damage rear ender caused by a teen driver not stopping soon enough at a traffic light.
Topic Author
RationalWalk

Post by RationalWalk »

This:
Ford’s BlueCruise sets a high standard among ADA systems, aided by an infrared camera that monitors the driver’s eyes to determine whether they are looking at the road. If the driver glances away from the road for more than about 5 seconds—whether to look at their cell phone or fiddle with the infotainment screen, or because they fell asleep—the system will give the driver a visual warning and an audible chime.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/ca ... 103632203/

The issue came up because on this recent trip I referenced, I was fighting falling asleep for the first time in my life and at one point my eyes actually closed momentarily. Really concerned me, so I was wondering whether any of these active driving systems could pick that up. Apparently, Ford's system can. This sounds like a great system that is unfortunately in a.... Ford.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

John Z wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:23 pm
Absolutely agree detesting any lane guidance assistance from any vehicle (and immediately turn them off when in a rental). And judging by the comments here I'm shocked at how many people potentially use these systems if this is a cross section of drivers. Judging by the evaluations of different vehicle brands here people must really rely on them enough to grade/evaluate them from mfr. to mfr.
The first time I experienced LKA was on a Volvo rental. (It was a free upgrade to a luxury model because they didn't have what I wanted to rent.) I had no prior experience with that feature and I thought there was something drastically wrong with the car! Why does it fight me!? When I got back to the hotel parking lot I figured out what it was and disabled it because I had other things to concentrate on other than learning a new feature. The key "trick" is to signal lane changes even if there is no other cars around.

Now I own a Volvo and still do not like LKA, but I really do like Pilot Assist where the car automatically follows a meandering lane. Two very different experiences.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet