Boglehead toiletries for men

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Chan_va

Boglehead toiletries for men

Post by Chan_va »

What are some Boglehead approved Toiletries for men? I want to do better than cheap soaps and shampoos that literally peel the skin off my face, and overly greasy lotions and hair creams. I have tried brands like Kiehl's, and their products feel great, but they are a bit too expensive.

What brands of soaps, shampoos, conditioners, creams etc. give you say 80% of what luxury brands like Kiehl's give you at a lower cost? I am looking for products that have natural, safe ingredients.

Btw, one area that I have found a good compromise is shaving soap. Highly recommend Proraso's sandalwood shaving soap. A box lasts me a year, smells great, leaves my skin feeling smooth and nourished, and makes shaving a pleasure. And best of all, costs $10.
stan1

Re: Boglehead toiletries for men

Post by stan1 »

We've used Suave and Dove shower products for years. They don't "peel the skin off" for us but you might have more sensitive skin.

They aren't labeled as "plastic free" though so maybe someone has some ideas about that.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Chemical and scent/any fragrance allergies, so everything is scent free in our home and also personal products. It is difficult amidst the plethora of "new car smell, new person smell, clean smell" everything products, but they exist. As such, there is no distinction between products for women, men, android, etc.

For soaps, no deposits on bathroom surfaces, so no "soap" ingredients. Also no harmful industrial ingredients, etc.
For example: Nutribiotic Fragrance Free:
Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001R ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GY ... UTF8&psc=1
Including cleaning and household products.
These are all difficult to find and test (the smell of real clean vs a scent) and can get pricey, but they exist for those concerned.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I use Old Spice Swagger body wash, and Dove Daily Moisture Shampoo. I buy at Sam's or Costco.

Funny thing about the Dove shampoo. A bit over a year ago one of my CNAs opened a new 40oz bottle and we are still using the same bottle.

I thought I was frugal, my CNAs make my attempts look pitiful.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

Crazy to think there might be an approved list for BH toiletries.

A dermatologist got me started on this product: Dove Men+Care bars. It has replaced not only shower soap but also shaving cream for my shaved head. Lather up in the shower, get clean and shave that scalp. (Electric razor for face.) I get at Walmart.

https://www.dove.com/us/en/p/men-care-c ... 1111005945
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:08 am Crazy to think there might be an approved list for BH toiletries.
Who knew we would be having permission thread on soap.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

jebmke wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:10 am
SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:08 am Crazy to think there might be an approved list for BH toiletries.
Madness.
Topic Author
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

jebmke wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:10 am
Not "approved", but "certified". I like to think of Bogleheads as striking the perfect balance between quality and cost. The curve of cost vs quality in anything is not linear, and there are various points of diminishing returns. Bogleheads are the masters of surfing that curve and finding that perfect balance point.
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

I use whatever comes in gray packaging and says "MEN" in big letters.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Halicar wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:22 am I use whatever comes in gray packaging and says "MEN" in big letters.
I use whatever is in the soap tray in the shower.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:08 am Chemical and scent/any fragrance allergies, so everything is scent free in our home and also personal products. It is difficult amidst the plethora of "new car smell, new person smell, clean smell" everything products, but they exist. As such, there is no distinction between products for women, men, android, etc.

For soaps, no deposits on bathroom surfaces, so no "soap" ingredients. Also no harmful industrial ingredients, etc.
Amazon
These are all difficult to find and test (the smell of real clean vs a scent) and can get pricey, but they exist for those concerned.

I thought I was the only one. I really prefer that all such products be scent-free from toiletries, to laundry products and beyond...

Cheers.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Halicar wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:22 am I use whatever comes in gray packaging and says "MEN" in big letters.
I has to have predominantly black packaging too.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I enjoy the mild scents of Yardley soap bars. Almond Oatmeal is my favorite. It is gently exfoliating because of the oatmeal. Been using it for years.

I just recently found The Cremo brand. I use their shampoo and shave cream. Again, I find the scents to be mild and enjoyable.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
leeks

Post by leeks »

This might seem like an odd recommendation, but I would try Trader Joe's. They have a small selection of toiletries with relatively "natural" ingredients that are cheaper than similar products at whole foods or an independent health food store. Many have a proven record if they have carried them for a long time. The limited selection helps you avoid analysis paralysis.

Otherwise, I would check out 365-brand options at Whole Foods.
chinchin

Post by chinchin »

Boglehead certified option: Kirkland Signature brand.

Personally, I'll buy what I think is the best regardless of cost.
not financial advice
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

We use Bliss Lemon & Sage Soapy Suds Body Wash. It's $22 for a 32 oz bottle.
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

I use Pantene ProV 2-in-1 shampoo, Suave body wash and Suave body lotion and Great Value shave gel. Oh, and Colgate toothpaste. Can't stand Crest.
What the bold print givith, the fine print taketh away. | -meowcat
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

dcabler wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:29 am
Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:08 am Chemical and scent/any fragrance allergies, so everything is scent free in our home and also personal products. It is difficult amidst the plethora of "new car smell, new person smell, clean smell" everything products, but they exist. As such, there is no distinction between products for women, men, android, etc.

Amazon

I thought I was the only one. I really prefer that all such products be scent-free from toiletries, to laundry products and beyond...

Cheers.
Story
I told my teenage boys, when they were young a long time ago, and splashing stinky cologne and everything else on themselves before going out on a date.
The girl is not interested in how you smell. The scent of clean is plenty. They're interested that you're interested in how they smell.

And, at work or office, who are you trying to impress with your smells, your car perfume, your etc, etc?
And, nobody is going to tell you that you smell strong because you've grown used to the scent so you put more to make up for desensitizing.

Thus, there are products that are scent and fragrance free. But, cosmetic companies spend zillions of dollars on advertising that certain scents and body sprays will make one popular and liked, and so forth. It is best to get the opinion of trusted friends, spouses, etc, that will tell the honest truth of what scented dryer sheets make your clothes smell great, what body spray make your clothes alluring, etc.

But, it depends on the guy, on the girl or lady, etc etc.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Spouse buy most of our toiletries from Costco. I don't pay attention to the brand, other than the soap is either Dove or a Kirkland knockoff. I buy anything else we need from the local Dollar Store based on the largest quantity container. None of it is specifically marketed towards one sex or the other.
Last edited by Doctor Rhythm on Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ETK517

Post by ETK517 »

They're not "for men" per se, but if you are feeling confident enough in your masculinity to buy unisex products, La Roche Posay and Avene are "French pharmacy brands" that are now widely available in the US and generally good quality/"natural"/no heavy fragrances. Use lots of products from them.

I think you're best to avoid products specifically targeted to men (other than for shaving, obviously). Those tend to be highly fragranced and often are just marked-up marketing gobblegook designed to appeal to men's squeamishness about buying "beauty products."
rule of law guy

Post by rule of law guy »

I didnt thing bogleheads showered. have you seen you water bill lately?
Never wrong, unless my wife tells me that I am.
LifeAquaticTenenbaum

Post by LifeAquaticTenenbaum »

Dove or Aveeno is best for Target choices

Jack Black if you don’t mind spending a bit more for quality. Their products are great. Around the same price as Kiehls, but find their stuff to be better quality.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I bought a three pack Christmas gift set of the big Duke Cannon soap bars at Walmart on clearance in early January for 90% off. I think I paid a little under two dollars. They are all alcohol themed, the current selection is Buffalo Trace bourbon scented.

They seem like they will last well past next Christmas.
djmbob

Post by djmbob »

I really like Aveeno shaving cream, they have multiple types including scent free. Their other products are also good.
Cheers,
Ray
Retired Military in Tulsa, 100% VA, MFJ, Age 66, Spouse 61, 2023 Effective Fed Tax Rate 12.17%, OK State 0%
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Go to the toiletries aisle at Whole Foods. They usually have a dedicated, well-informed staff member there to answer your questions about specific products.
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

My dermatologist says to wash in warm only water. He says to use unscented soap and apply to hairy areas only. For protection I still use Old Spice traditional scent. If my grandfather hadn’t worn it, I wouldn’t exist.😏
TravellingTechOnFire

Post by TravellingTechOnFire »

AlohaBill wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:41 pm My dermatologist says to wash in warm only water. He says to use unscented soap and apply to hairy areas only. For protection I still use Old Spice traditional scent. If my grandfather hadn’t worn it, I wouldn’t exist.😏
Your dermatologist doesn't know what they are talking about when it comes to skin care. Obviously, we should be listening to the companies that spend a fortune advertising the perfumed acid they sell, and spend a lot of money on it to strip all the natural oils and moisture from our skin and hair every day. Then, we should spend a lot of money on scented lotions and oil to put back onto our skin and hair that have been stripped dry as the desert. Luckily, the same companies will sell you those too! The companies that sell this stuff spend a fortune advertising educating you on this....don't you appreciate their efforts? :wink:
Last edited by TravellingTechOnFire on Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

Chan_va wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:55 am I am looking for products that have natural, safe ingredients.
EWG is a good guide for finding toiletries and cleaning products with natural, safe ingredients. https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

There's a lot of toiletries for kids that are formulated to be more sensitive and safe. I started using Suave Kids shampoo-conditioner-body wash that gets a good enough rating from EWG. No dyes, no parabens, hypo-allergenic, etc. Plus Suave is cheap and available at Target & Walmart.
PoorPlumber

Post by PoorPlumber »

Lava. :D
id0ntkn0wjack

Post by id0ntkn0wjack »

I moved 10% of my equities into BLV (Vanguard Long Term Bond ETF) in January 2021. Follow my advice at your own peril.
Topic Author
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

Thanks all for the recommendations. Lots of good choices.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

PoorPlumber wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:58 pm Lava. :D
LOL!

When I was in jr high, for gym class we each had to bring a bar of soap at the start of each semester, and the bars would be shared in the communal shower after gym class. I know: yuk! The coaches, knowing how boys that age are and having a little experience, warned us not to bring a bar of Lava. However, one joker brought a bar of Red Devil Lye soap. I had never even heard of it before. The coaches found out who did it, and they required him, and him alone, to use it after each class. Needless to say, he brought something more appropriate for the second semester.
PoorPlumber

Post by PoorPlumber »

Great story... :sharebeer
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

The Costco Kirkland Signature bar soap has "literally" never peeled the skin off my face or had any lesser unpleasant attribute. We have soft water. I don't know how it does in hard water.

It works well with a Bogleheads "buy and hold" strategy, since a pack is something like a dozen bars. We just hold the spare bars in the bathroom cabinet and spend very little time managing our bar soap portfolio.

I've tried the big bottles of Kirkland Signature shampoo and conditioner. They seem fine, if a bit overly scented, but I have preferred the similar size bottles of Pantene they sell. With that said, my understanding is part of the perceived difference is the Pantene has an ingredient that doesn't rinse out as easily, forming a coating that makes your hair feel softer and smoother than it actually is. I don't know if that's the kind of thing you like to avoid.

Unfortunately, both brands feature a very high early redemption penalty - if you throw out the bottle when soap stops feeding through the pump, you will waste probably close to 1/4 of it. So it is advisable to plan your disposal of this asset around that feature: I found diluting it with a couple tablespoons of water when this happens helps it slump into the pickup tube better.

I never figured out what to do with any other hair product - gel, cream, or otherwise. I just wash it as needed, and use conditioner regularly to try to keep it from getting frizzy so I can't comb it reasonably smooth.

For shaving, I generally use a name brand shaving gel. I think it's about $4 a can, and lasts me a really long time. I've never tried to monitor, but it seems like it's close to a year. The Target brand shaving gel is thinner in consistency.

I don't use any lotions, although sometimes in the winter my wife if my wife notices my knuckles bleeding, she forces me under threats of violence to let her put some of her expensive Aveeno lotion on my hands. I find it rather greasy just like all lotions, although not as greasy as sunscreen.
rule of law guy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:58 pm I didnt thing bogleheads showered. have you seen you water bill lately?
Yes, I've analyzed it some detail. For me, it's about $0.50 per shower. 3/4 of that is electricity for the water heater, 1/4 is the water.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

For soap nothing comes close to "Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap", if there were a Nobel Prize for soaps Grandpa would win it hands down. This soap is fairly widely available but if you can't find it locally you can get it on Amazon.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

TravellingTechOnFire wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:52 pm
AlohaBill wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:41 pm My dermatologist says to wash in warm only water. He says to use unscented soap and apply to hairy areas only. For protection I still use Old Spice traditional scent. If my grandfather hadn’t worn it, I wouldn’t exist.😏
Your dermatologist doesn't know what they are talking about when it comes to skin care. Obviously, we should be listening to the companies that spend a fortune advertising the perfumed acid they sell, and spend a lot of money on it to strip all the natural oils and moisture from our skin and hair every day. Then, we should spend a lot of money on scented lotions and oil to put back onto our skin and hair that have been stripped dry as the desert. Luckily, the same companies will sell you those too! The companies that sell this stuff spend a fortune advertising educating you on this....don't you appreciate their efforts? :wink:
+100000

well said
on target!!!!

funny but all too true
j🌺
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

Chan_va wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:55 am
What brands of soaps, shampoos, conditioners, creams etc. give you say 80% of what luxury brands like Kiehl's give you at a lower cost? I am looking for products that have natural, safe ingredients.
What specific benefit are you're looking for, and what product? That may help you get better responses.

Most of these brands charge what they do because of marketing and hype, not because they are actually a better product. For instance, look at the ingredients on many of the Kiehls products. Hardly natural and safe. They use lots of nasty chemicals and preservatives.

Target does a really good job of labeling products as "hypoallergenic" and "clean" on their website, which is helpful if you have sensitive skin. And I don't think anything they sell is exorbitantly priced. And I'm sure it works just as good as the expensive brands.
TSR

Post by TSR »

I use Target's rip-off of Dove sensitive skin body wash. If I'm feeling really fancy I'll get the Dove for a few dollars more. For my face I go Cetaphil gentle cleanser. I use Cerave (sp?) SPF 30 skin lotion during the day and their night lotion at night. A new development in my life, however, is that I use fancy salon shampoo and conditioner. It is ungodly expensive but it feels and looks great. I guess that's what all the saving was for? I don't know.

Anyway, is all of that Boglehead-approved?!?
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

Chan,
I like trying different kinds of Soaps, After Shaves and Colognes.

Soaps - Dial, Irish Spring, fancy Duke Cannon, etc.
Shave Cream - Barbasol, Gillette, etcAny foaming kind will do
Deodorant - Old Spice or similar
Cologne - most any kind that is on sale at the Pharmacy is fine.
Scrub Brushes - long handled and little ones you hold in your hand. Most any kind will do long as they don't peel skin off and draw blood.

Unless you have a real skin or allergic condition, then use whatever you and the Skin Docs figure out is best for you. Try different kinds and figure out what works for you.

TLDNR - Too long did not read or will not read:

Seems like there is some quote on "the great unwashed masses".... I am spoiled and I appreciate being able to bathe regular. I worked the Oilfields all over the world for 44 year before retiring.

I know what people who live in very poor countries smell like and do not have the luxury of having fresh water to drink and much less bathe with regularly smell like. It makes you really appreciate being able to bathe daily with soap and water, and have clean drinking water.

Being on a Offshore Platform in close proximity with hundreds of men who are working hard in the tropics for 12 hour shifts around the clock 7 days per week for a month or more at a time. You learn to appreciate folks taking showers and using Soap. Being sweaty for 12 hours and having sweat salt caked up on your work clothes will result in "souring" and smelling your own self and not liking it...

I have used Bar Soap since I was a kid and that is all for washing. Whatever Bar Soap we have is fine. The key here is Soap, scrubbing all over and rinsing good.

Shave with whatever shaving cream I have at the time. Or Bar soap.
Use Aqua Velva, Old Spice, Clubman Pinaud or similar After Shave. Whatever is on sale is fine.

Shower and wash from top to bottom with whatever Bar Soap ms gamboolgal buys in bulk. Hell, I like the little bitty Hotel Bar Soaps just fine, long as I got plenty of them.

Use a long handled scrub Brush and a little hand held scrub Brush all over and a soapy wash rag in all the nooks and crannies.
Use whatever cheap Cologne ms gamboolgal has for me out on the Counter.

Bonus hint: Keep your feet clean and use spray alcohol on your feet and inside your work boots, and foot powder or Corn Starch powder. If you ever caught or have had Athletes Foot - you know.....

Strongly recommend to keep some Tinactin or similar for your man bits. When/if you get the Athletes foot up to your crotch area - you will know misery in the tropics.... ha !

it is good to be retired and able to bathe a couple of times a day or more. :sharebeer
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Feather blades. I save so much shaving this way.