Stay in Downtown LA or?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hoops777

Stay in Downtown LA or?

Post by hoops777 »

We are going to LA for 5 days next week and like to stay at Marriott Residence Inns.

They have one downtown next to convention center,one next to LAX, and one in Glendale.

We have been to the area several times but never really have seen the downtown.

We will be going to Laguna area, Santa Monica and a few other popular spots.but she really wants to see the downtown area which means Chinatown, Koreatown and whatever else is worth seeing.

It is $55 a day to park at the downtown Residence Inn plus a fee of about $35 a day after using points for a free stay.
Just in general is there a location that would be less stressful in getting to places?

Thanks.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
bombcar

Re: Stay in Downtown LA or?

Post by bombcar »

As long as you’re not driving during rush hour most of LA is pretty accessible.

I’d drop into street view on google maps and take a look, plot some map trips.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

There isn't much to do next to the convention center, especially if you are there midweek. I would not pay a premium to be there. I felt safe and wouldn't avoid, it just doesn't have much attraction to me.
cipriano

Post by cipriano »

Downtown isn’t really central to the action in LA. There are good bars and restaurants and theaters, but sometimes it feels like a movie set for midtown Manhattan.

That said, if it’s convenient because of the convention center, that’s fine. Especially if you have a car.

Out of your choices, the Marriott Residence LAx puts you near Venice beach, which has a certain charm. Glendale wouldn’t be most people’s choice but I live in northeast LA and like it. You’re close to Griffith Park and the Huntington botanical gardens, and Glendale has some good food.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

If you are only spending a day or two Downtown I would pick the Residence Inn LAX just because you are already arriving and leaving from the airport and it is closer to your coastal destinations. Then drive into downtown (I would park once and take public transit or Uber/Lyft to whatever destinations from there) and drive back to the hotel. At least with LAX, you are on the 405 to Laguna Beach and the OC. From Glendale, you would be on the wrong side of those destinations. The other thing is that there are multiple Residence Inns in the LAX area, you don't have to pick the one by the airport, in fact I would probably pick the ones to the south, although those may be expensive midweek since they get Space Force and defense contractors flying in for work in the military-industrial complex around El Segundo.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

hoops777 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:11 pm They have one downtown next to convention center,one next to LAX, and one in Glendale.
There's one in Marina Del Rey. Stay at that one.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
chicagoan23

Post by chicagoan23 »

hoops777 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:11 pm
We will be going to Laguna area, Santa Monica and a few other popular spots.but she really wants to see the downtown area which means Chinatown, Koreatown and whatever else is worth seeing.

Just in general is there a location that would be less stressful in getting to places?
If you really want to see downtown LA, you should stay there. It’s not that difficult to get around, once you’re there. Over the past 20 years it has become much more tourist friendly and there is more to do. I always like going to Dodger Stadium if there’s a game.
"The Basic Choices for Investors and the One We Strongly Prefer" | | https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2011ltr.pdf
bikesandbeers

Post by bikesandbeers »

DTLA and K-town is much better without a car. You can take the expo line (light rail) to Santa Monica. With new new regional connector you can easily get from the convention center to Disney Hall or MOCA. You can also go south on the train to Expo park to Althea science center and natural history museum. Lots of great dinning in K-town, little Tokyo or Chinatown.
warriormonk

Post by warriormonk »

Beensabu wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:18 pm
hoops777 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:11 pm They have one downtown next to convention center,one next to LAX, and one in Glendale.
There's one in Marina Del Rey. Stay at that one.
+1 on this. Or stay in Santa monica / downtown culver city
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

bikesandbeers wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:50 pm DTLA and K-town is much better without a car. You can take the expo line (light rail) to Santa Monica. With new new regional connector you can easily get from the convention center to Disney Hall or MOCA. You can also go south on the train to Expo park to Althea science center and natural history museum. Lots of great dinning in K-town, little Tokyo or Chinatown.
Are Chinatown and Koreatown walkable from hotel?
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

hoops777 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:05 pm
bikesandbeers wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:50 pm DTLA and K-town is much better without a car. You can take the expo line (light rail) to Santa Monica. With new new regional connector you can easily get from the convention center to Disney Hall or MOCA. You can also go south on the train to Expo park to Althea science center and natural history museum. Lots of great dinning in K-town, little Tokyo or Chinatown.
Are Chinatown and Koreatown walkable from hotel?
It is kind of a long walk and you would have to cross a freeway. Or, just take public transit.
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Thanks. I just looked at a map.
I guess we can take an Uber for the first time to the hotel from LAX and back instead of renting a car.
Or a taxi?
New to us😊
jaMichael

Post by jaMichael »

Koreatown is not walkable from downtown but is not too far. Chinatown is not walkable from the Convention Center but is borderline downtown.
Chinatown is not really a destination. The more interesting and extensive Chinese areas would include Alhambra, Monterey Park, or Arcadia.
Some of the nicer things to do downtown would include the Broad Museum or seeing something at the Disney Music Center. But these are drivable/parkable destinations a long way from the Convention Center.
Marina del Rey is going to be a much more pleasant location than downtown.
Dodger Stadium is a nice destination but not downtown.
Griffith Park is a nice place for a hike or walk (e.g., to the Griffith Observatory or the Hollywood Sign) -- also not downtown
Santa Monica, Venice, and Palos Verdes are all nice parts of LA but not near downtown.
Hollywood and Beverly Hills are popular tourist destinations - not near downtown
Getty Museums are popular destinations - not near downtown
Disneyland and Universal Studios are popular destinations - not near downtown
The Hollywood Bowl is a great summer venue for a show - not too near downtown
If it were my family coming, I would recommend Marina Del Rey and recommend that they spend half a day seeing downtown and getting a good meal there. My favorite downtown restaurant: Macaroni Republic (has been there forever, but it's still good).
Oakdale19

Post by Oakdale19 »

You mention Laguna (Beach?), Downtown, Chinatown, and Koreatown. I think it's less stressful to uber but a car rental may make more sense if you're trying to visit all these places.

I've worked in DTLA. I've lived in West LA, Northeast LA, and OC.

I'd personally avoid staying in DTLA. I think you can do a visit in one day. Chinatown is in DTLA. Little Tokyo is also DTLA. Koreatown is actually not DTLA. It's nearby though.

I might second someone's recommendation of Culver City Residence Inn or Glendale Residence Inn. At night, the areas will likely be nicer, safer, and less empty than DTLA.

DTLA day
Staples Center and surrounding area
Chinatown
Little Tokyo
Eat there or at Grand Central Market (Angel's Flight is right next to Grand Central Market).
Tons of great places to eat in DTLA but I'd also recommend Sonoratown, Dune, and

Laguna day (if Laguna Beach)
I'd recommend exploring Laguna Beach and Corona Del Mar (Personal favorite beach is Crystal Cove State Park). If you wanted to throw in some shopping, Fashion Island is a nice outdoor mall.
You could swing by Downtown Disney for the fireworks at the end of the day if that interests you at all.

If you stay in Northeast LA, best views of LA are at the Griffith Observatory (you can check out the Hollywood sign also).

If you do Santa Monica, I'd try to get tickets to the Getty Villa. Walk 3rd street promenade. Check out Abbot Kinney Blvd or Venice Beach if interested. I like Gjusta in that area. UCLA also has a beautiful campus to explore. Rodeo Drive is around the corner if you want to visit.

Huntington Library in Pasadena is a cool spot (amazing Gardens). You could also check out Norton Simon Museum, walk Old Town Pasadena, or walk the Rose Bowl area (if a sports fan). Caltech is also a very nice campus and adjacent to the shops on Lake St. Plenty of restaurants. Best gelato in LA at Bulgarini Gelato. Ice cream is great at Carmela's.

Please ask away if you have any questions or want restaurant recommendations in any of these spots.
bd7

Post by bd7 »

Is that 5 days just in DTLA or does that include Santa Monica, Laguna Beach, etc?

I think Marina Del Rey would be the nicest one to stay at since you'd be close to the beach, Santa Monica Pier and the Getty Villa. But if you really want to specifically explore DTLA/K-Town/Fashion District for 5 days, then the one at LA LIVE is the one to go to. Don't rent a car, between the rental costs and the $55 a day parking you can use public transportation and Uber for less money and less hassle. However, be aware that public transportation can be pretty slow if you're going any distance.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

hoops777 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:18 pm Thanks. I just looked at a map.
I guess we can take an Uber for the first time to the hotel from LAX and back instead of renting a car.
Or a taxi?
New to us😊
Flyaway bus to Union Station, then Metro, depending on your mobility and luggage, of course.
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Thanks for all the help.
New question…….
She no longer cares about Laguna Beach and such because we have been there before a few times.
So the million dollar question is ….is there enough to see in DTLA and proximity to stay 5 nights?
She likes to browse and shop if that helps but she rarely buys anything unless it is a great deal 😊
Oakdale19

Post by Oakdale19 »

Having worked in Dtla. I wouldn’t recommend it as a base.

Alternate suggestion. Stay at residence inn Pasadena. The A line (metro light rail) will take you directly to little Tokyo.

Or to union station where you could transfer.

Dtla
Id recommend Chinatown. Plaza Olvera. Grand central market. The staples area (crypto but it’ll always be staples to me).

In Pasadena you can walk more and explore more at night.
I’d do Norton Simon and Huntington Library. Maybe walk Caltechs campus and walk the surrounding neighborhood. On arden which ends at the campus, at least one movie star and a famous movie producer live. Beautiful houses and tree lined streets.

Joy in nearby Highland Park for Taiwanese.
epicureme

Post by epicureme »

+1, with emphasis on Expo line, stops include Natural History Museum at USC, lots of restaurants in downtown Culver City, Santa Monica, lots to do for several days sans car
"Do nothing, leave nothing undone" - Lao Tzu
boogiehead

Post by boogiehead »

hoops777 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:04 pm Thanks for all the help.
New question…….
She no longer cares about Laguna Beach and such because we have been there before a few times.
So the million dollar question is ….is there enough to see in DTLA and proximity to stay 5 nights?
She likes to browse and shop if that helps but she rarely buys anything unless it is a great deal 😊
There is really no attractions in DTLA besides offices and restaurants so I would not stay there unless you are there for work or convention. If you like to window shop in LA I would recommend going to either Americana or the Grove. In OC I would recommend going to Fashion Island or South Coast Plaza.
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Thanks for all the replies.
I will talk to my wife and see what she prefers.
I had a feeling DTLA was not such a great idea.
I think she believes it is different from what it actually is.
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

San Diego is better than LA anyway. There, I said it.

(It totally depends on what the goal of the trip is or course. But downtown San Diego blows downtown LA out of all the waters and some of the land, too.)
elcadarj

Post by elcadarj »

warriormonk wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:55 pm

+1 on this. Or stay in Santa monica / downtown culver city
We stayed here, https://www.ambrosehotel.com, 25 years ago and it's still in business. Best hotel bed I ever slept in.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

I would avoid downtown LA like the plague. Made the mistake of booking a hotel in Hollywood for our LA visit. It was disgusting. One guy whipped it out and peed on a trash can right in the middle of the sidewalk. Nothing worth seeing. All chain stores and Hard Rock cafe, etc. We were in the hotel (which was okay) for less than 8 hours before we revamped plans, and moved out to Beverly Hills. Beverly Hills and West Hollywood are MUCH nicer than downtown. Uber in to whatever attractions you want to see. The Kimpton on the border of W Hollywood and Bev. Hills was very nice.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

bombcar wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:44 am San Diego is better than LA anyway. There, I said it.

(It totally depends on what the goal of the trip is or course. But downtown San Diego blows downtown LA out of all the waters and some of the land, too.)
San Diego is a lot of fun. And a beautiful city. I wish I had seen more.
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

Dottie57 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:40 am San Diego is a lot of fun. And a beautiful city. I wish I had seen more.
It is quite nice, and depending on goals you can still hit LA from it - a train leaves Downtown SD at 8 AM and arrives in LA at 11; can return the same day by 1 AM if you want.
ETK517

Post by ETK517 »

I've stayed in DTLA and wouldn't do so again. "Downtown" is kind of a misnomer because it's definitely not the central hub for LA (which doesn't really have one, TBH, but if it did it'd probably be Hollywood/Miracle Mile/Fairfax/West Hollywood area). There is not much to do or see there so no need to stay there, and much of what you might want to do/see as a tourist is quite a distance away. I'm not one of these people terrified of cities, but when I stayed there in 2019 it was considerably better than it is now and it was still the type of place where you walk down the wrong street and feel uncomfortable, even in broad daylight. And I stayed in a much nicer hotel than you're staying at, so had no concern about security or other guests.

Given your limited choices and planned itinerary I'd choose LAX. It's close to Santa Monica and other west-side attractions.
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

I am really sorry for my indecision 😊
I have explained all this to my wife.
The new plan is she wants to see DTLA but 1 day is enough.
She wants to see places around LA we have never been.
Culver City, Pasadena, Santa Monica(been there but ok to go again😊) Marina Del Rey.Places like this that are in reasonable Uber distance.
The ideal of course would be a central location to stay at.
We have been to Venice, Newport, Huntington Beach, Laguna, Disney, Griffith, Beverly Hills.
Any final thoughts and again I apologize for being so wishy washy but my dear wife is not making this easy😊
Thank you.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

hoops777 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:27 pm I am really sorry for my indecision 😊
I have explained all this to my wife.
The new plan is she wants to see DTLA but 1 day is enough.
She wants to see places around LA we have never been.
Culver City, Pasadena, Santa Monica(been there but ok to go again😊) Marina Del Rey.Places like this that are in reasonable Uber distance.
The ideal of course would be a central location to stay at.
We have been to Venice, Newport, Huntington Beach, Laguna, Disney, Griffith, Beverly Hills.
Any final thoughts and again I apologize for being so wishy washy but my dear wife is not making this easy😊
Thank you.
Several posters mentioned a Residence Inn in Marina del Rey. If you want to visit there anyway, it would be my choice. However the hotel is Venice Beach adjacent, so if you feel "been there done that" about Venice...

Glendale is Griffith adjacent as well, so it would not be a bad choice if your points go further there.
Last edited by sailaway on Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

Do you have a AAA card or know someone who does? They used to have pretty good travel guides that might be worth a look-see.

Or let those city council dollars go to work! https://www.discoverlosangeles.com

If you stay near the ocean, you cut your "easy travel options" in half (because you won't drive into the sea).

Again, don't be afraid to drop into google street view to look around the various hotels you like.
celia

Post by celia »

hoops777 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:05 pm Are Chinatown and Koreatown walkable from hotel?
I wouldn't walk anywhere in DTLA at night as it isn't safe. There is a Metro stop in Chinatown but Chinatown is small. Koreantown isn't in DTLA but between it and Santa Monica.

For Chinese food, go to Alhambra or Monterey Park or use the family restaurants throughout the county.
Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 »

It's fine in DTLA but I'd stay west. For example the RI "Beverly Hills" is a good location. It's BH adjacent and a very nice west LA area.
celia

Post by celia »

bombcar wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:41 am
Dottie57 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:40 am San Diego is a lot of fun. And a beautiful city. I wish I had seen more.
It is quite nice, and depending on goals you can still hit LA from it - a train leaves Downtown SD at 8 AM and arrives in LA at 11; can return the same day by 1 AM if you want.
There was a landslide earlier this year and I think trains stop before San Clemente, I think. The current status would have to be researched.
KFBR392

Post by KFBR392 »

If you're interested in Koreatown, you might consider staying there since it's centrally located, best explored on foot, and is significantly more "alive" than DTLA at night. The Line and Hotel Normandie are both decent options although nothing like a Residence Inn. And as others have suggested, if the bulk of your interests are on the west side, you may as well stay there.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

celia wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:03 pm
bombcar wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:41 am
There was a landslide earlier this year and I think trains stop before San Clemente, I think. The current status would have to be researched.
As of Sunday, there were no issues.
celia

Post by celia »

How about staying in DT Long Beach? They have an aquarium and the Queen Mary. And depending when you visit, something may be happening at the Convention Center.

bonus: You can ride the Blue Line Metro line to DTLA (and further) and look around.
neowiser

Post by neowiser »

I enjoy downtown LA and find the beach cities boring and generic. If you visit Chinatown, stop in to see the Italian American museum nearby. It's a quirky small museum with very friendly volunteers. Hidden among the tourist shops on Olvera street is the beautifully preserved Avila adobe, built in 1818. So many things to see within walking distance to Union Station. French dip at Philippe's (est 1908), popular with both tourists and locals. Walk to the Central library, see Grand Central Market, Our Lady Queen of Angels Catholic Church, Disney Hall. The best corned beef sandwich in the world is at Langer's, near the convention center. Enjoy!
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

I am taking a serious look at the Residence Inn next to LAX.
It is actually fairly central to most of the destinations and has a shuttle.
We would have to Uber to the cities but would have to other locations as well.
The other choice seems to be Glendale which is central to most everything.
Ironically DTLA is central when just figuring how far to Santa Monica,Pasadena,etc.
bd7

Post by bd7 »

sailaway wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:33 pm She wants to see places around LA we have never been.
Have you seen the Bradbury building, the Getty museum, the Getty Villa, The Grove, LACMA, the Petersen auto museum? Depending on the dates you are there, the Hollywood Bowl, Walt Disney Concert Hall and Herb Alpert's Vibrato Grill Jazz? If you just want to ride around and see random stuff, there are those hop-on hop-off bus tours.
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

hoops777 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:10 pm I am taking a serious look at the Residence Inn next to LAX.
The immediate area around that is kinda ... yeah. I wouldn't walk much. And you have jets overhead day and night which may or may not be an issue.

It is convenient for the airport, and maybe you could watch planes land.
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

bombcar wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:59 pm
hoops777 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:10 pm I am taking a serious look at the Residence Inn next to LAX.
The immediate area around that is kinda ... yeah. I wouldn't walk much. And you have jets overhead day and night which may or may not be an issue.

It is convenient for the airport, and maybe you could watch planes land.
We eliminated it 😊
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

bd7 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:49 pm
sailaway wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:33 pm She wants to see places around LA we have never been.
Have you seen the Bradbury building, the Getty museum, the Getty Villa, The Grove, LACMA, the Petersen auto museum? Depending on the dates you are there, the Hollywood Bowl, Walt Disney Concert Hall and Herb Alpert's Vibrato Grill Jazz? If you just want to ride around and see random stuff, there are those hop-on hop-off bus tours.
I completely forgot about the hop on hop off.
We used those in Europe.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

It is actually fairly central to most of the destinations and has a shuttle.
There's nothing around there, and you'll be confined to your hotel room when not actively on tour. Why so dedicated to a Residence inn? If you want to experience the LA vibe and scene, stay in West Hollywood or Beverly Hills. Walk around to fun bars and restaurants. Mick Jagger was at the table next to us with a big birthday party at the place we went for brunch. Fun. If you're not in an upscale part of town, LA is pretty dismal.
SpaghettiLegs

Post by SpaghettiLegs »

I am not a Los Angelino but my son is (lives in Santa Monica). I don’t think downtown LA is worth more than a 1/2 day or full day maybe. My wife works in a library and we did enjoy LA public library. If you have any interest at all in art, and maybe even if not, Getty Museum is a must.

Downtown I’ve had a nice meal and experience at the Figueroa Hotel restaurant.
LuckyInLife

Post by LuckyInLife »

There are actually two Residence Inns that are considered "LAX" and both are really more Manhattan Beach area, although one is technically El Segundo. I do not believe either would have airplane noise since they are the opposite direction from how the planes take off. Manhattan Beach is probably the nicest beach town in LA, with lots of cute restaurants, bars, and shopping. I live in San Diego, but go up to LA a lot due to my son's college sport. I generally stay in Marina del Rey or Manhattan Beach. I would never stay in downtown LA. Since you are going soon, you might want to check out the concert schedule at the Hollywood Bowl. In addition, if you are not staying downtown, you might find the parking a lot cheaper at other places. I would not want to try to get around LA without a car.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

hoops777 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:14 pm
bd7 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:49 pm
I completely forgot about the hop on hop off.
We used those in Europe.
There is a beach one and a Hollywood one. There is a walking tour of the downtown architecture.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

LuckyInLife wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:37 pm There are actually two Residence Inns that are considered "LAX" and both are really more Manhattan Beach area, although one is technically El Segundo. I do not believe either would have airplane noise since they are the opposite direction from how the planes take off. Manhattan Beach is probably the nicest beach town in LA, with lots of cute restaurants, bars, and shopping. I live in San Diego, but go up to LA a lot due to my son's college sport. I generally stay in Marina del Rey or Manhattan Beach. I would never stay in downtown LA. Since you are going soon, you might want to check out the concert schedule at the Hollywood Bowl. In addition, if you are not staying downtown, you might find the parking a lot cheaper at other places. I would not want to try to get around LA without a car.
There is also the one in Redondo Beach which is next to the 405 freeway and the C Line (Green) metro station. You could take the C to the J or A Lines downtown or the A to Long Beach. The Metro had put a large security surge after a few incidents so it should be safer through the summer than usual.
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Ok.
Probably not what most here would recommend 😊 but we decided on Glendale.
Reason?
Acceptable distance from a lot of places to go and a nice area to walk around next to the hotel with a lot of shopping and restaurants.
Probably makes no sense to a lot of you but knowing my wife I think it is best for us.
My wife does not enjoy hanging out at the beach beyond going for a walk.
I really appreciate all the helpful suggestions and welcome anymore you have being based in Glendale.

We also switched airports to Burbank
Last edited by hoops777 on Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

Glendale is nice if a bit sleepy in areas.

Maybe you can fly into BUR instead of LAX.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

hoops777 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:27 pm Ok.
Probably not what most here would recommend 😊 but we decided on Glendale.
Reason?
Acceptable distance from a lot of places to go and a nice area to walk around next to the hotel with a lot of shopping and restaurants.
Probably makes no sense to a lot of you but knowing my wife I think it is best for us.
My wife does not enjoy hanging out at the beach beyond going for a walk.
I really appreciate all the helpful suggestions and welcome anymore you have being based in Glendale.
That was our back up when we last went. We only chose DTLA because DH needed to be at the convention center and any extra travel could have been annoying for him.