iPhone Gmail App: can it use your iPhone contacts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NYCaviator

iPhone Gmail App: can it use your iPhone contacts?

Post by NYCaviator »

I like the Gmail app for iPhone, but I can't seem to find a way to get it to work with my iPhone/Apple contacts. It'll only suggest email addresses/contacts in my google address book (which I don't even use). Does anyone know if there's a way to get those two to interface? I don't want to switch all of my contacts over.
Beck49

Re: iPhone Gmail App: can it use your iPhone contacts?

Post by Beck49 »

I just looked at the Gmail app on my iPhone. If I go to Settings and then to the Gmail app, you have a choice to allow it access to Contacts. When I toggle that to On, the Gmail app will pull up addresses from my contacts list.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Beck49 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:42 pm I just looked at the Gmail app on my iPhone. If I go to Settings and then to the Gmail app, ...
Can't go straight to Gmail from Settings (at least that's how it is on my iPhone). Steps are: Settings, Mail, Accounts, then yourname@gmail.com.

TravelforFun
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

Beck49 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:42 pm I just looked at the Gmail app on my iPhone. If I go to Settings and then to the Gmail app, you have a choice to allow it access to Contacts. When I toggle that to On, the Gmail app will pull up addresses from my contacts list.
That’s for the Gmail app, not the default mail app? I don’t see that option under settings.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Try Outlook for iOS. It's free and IMO the best email client for iPhone. I have Gmail and far prefer the Outlook app to the Gmail native app (and the built-in iOS Mail app).
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

02nz wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:21 pm Try Outlook for iOS. It's free and IMO the best email client for iPhone. I have Gmail and far prefer the Outlook app to the Gmail native app (and the built-in iOS Mail app).
Agreed. Outlook is great on the iPhone
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I’ve used Gmail and native app on iPhone. I can’t really detect a material difference. I can key or speak a message and send in either. That said, most of my contacts have moved off email to messaging so I don’t get or send nearly as many these days.

I also find that native iOS apps tend to integrate better with iOS shortcuts and automations.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
mith

Post by mith »

Sort of but it will take some time to set it up. Gmail has its own contacts list. You can move your contacts from iCloud to Google. You can then configure the contacts app on your phone to use your Google account contacts. After this, both the normal mail app and Gmail app will have access to the same contacts.
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

jebmke wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:11 am I’ve used Gmail and native app on iPhone. I can’t really detect a material difference. I can key or speak a message and send in either. That said, most of my contacts have moved off email to messaging so I don’t get or send nearly as many these days.

I also find that native iOS apps tend to integrate better with iOS shortcuts and automations.
I tend to agree, except for the mail app. The search is terrible and the way it handles Gmail is pretty bad. Instead of using the default folders it creates new "IMAP" labels in gmail. Supposedly Apple is overhauling Mail with the next iOS update which would be great.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

NYCaviator wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:53 am
jebmke wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:11 am I’ve used Gmail and native app on iPhone. I can’t really detect a material difference. I can key or speak a message and send in either. That said, most of my contacts have moved off email to messaging so I don’t get or send nearly as many these days.

I tend to agree, except for the mail app. The search is terrible and the way it handles Gmail is pretty bad. Instead of using the default folders it creates new "IMAP" labels in gmail. Supposedly Apple is overhauling Mail with the next iOS update which would be great.
yes; I suppose if one uses mail a lot the differences can make a difference. If I really need mail, I tend to do it on my desktop. My iPhone mini is too small and often not in my possession.

I'm sure there is a way to integrate the two systems -- I know my calendar is integrated; the Google Calendar shows the same stuff as my iPhone calendar. I'd assume contacts can be done the same way.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

jebmke wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:31 am

yes; I suppose if one uses mail a lot the differences can make a difference. If I really need mail, I tend to do it on my desktop. My iPhone mini is too small and often not in my possession.

I'm sure there is a way to integrate the two systems -- I know my calendar is integrated; the Google Calendar shows the same stuff as my iPhone calendar. I'd assume contacts can be done the same way.
I do the same with my Apple Calendar and my Outlook Calendar.
They both reflect the same stuff, although Apple Calendar is my go to calendar.
I do hope Apple upgrades the Mail and Calendar app.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

bondsr4me wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:57 am
jebmke wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:31 am

I do the same with my Apple Calendar and my Outlook Calendar.
They both reflect the same stuff, although Apple Calendar is my go to calendar.
I do hope Apple upgrades the Mail and Calendar app.
yes; although I still need my G calendar due to volunteer work that is tied to Google environment. But the iOS Shortcut and automation support for Apple's calendar is better. In general, the Shortcut and Automation support for Google is pretty weak -- as one would expect.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I tend to agree, except for the mail app. The search is terrible and the way it handles Gmail is pretty bad.
I too use the native email app on my iPhone with Gmail accounts and have never had any issues with the search function. But I wouldn't consider myself a power user either these days. With most switches from one native environment to another, I find the transition difficult for awhile until I get used to things and learn the new ways of doing things.
Beck49

Post by Beck49 »

TravelforFun wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:55 pm
Beck49 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:42 pm I just looked at the Gmail app on my iPhone. If I go to Settings and then to the Gmail app, ...
Can't go straight to Gmail from Settings (at least that's how it is on my iPhone). Steps are: Settings, Mail, Accounts, then yourname@gmail.com.

TravelforFun
Yes, Settings, then to Gmail app, not Mail, then access Contacts setting in the Gmail app.

I agree with others, I just access Gmail as one account in the iPhone Mail setting and works fine. However, I assume using the Gmail app directly will work as well.
lostcoast2023

Post by lostcoast2023 »

02nz wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:21 pm Try Outlook for iOS. It's free and IMO the best email client for iPhone. I have Gmail and far prefer the Outlook app to the Gmail native app (and the built-in iOS Mail app).
There are some very serious privacy and security concerns with the "New Outlook" app on phones and PCs.

http://proton.me/blog/outlook-is-micros ... on-service
02nz

Post by 02nz »

lostcoast2023 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:45 pm
There are some very serious privacy and security concerns with the "New Outlook" app on phones and PCs.

Umm, that boat has long sailed for OP, who's using Gmail.

Also, your link is to Proton Mail, which sells a competitor product. That doesn't mean what they say is untrue, but they are far from an unbiased source of information.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

02nz wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:51 pm
lostcoast2023 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:45 pm

Umm, that boat has long sailed for OP, who's using Gmail.

Also, your link is to Proton Mail, which sells a competitor product. That doesn't mean what they say is untrue, but they are far from an unbiased source of information.
Google’s head of privacy is leaving the company and will not be replaced.
Lacrocious

Post by Lacrocious »

I have successfully used Contacts Sync on IOS for years - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/contacts- ... d454390333. Not free, but minimal cost ($12.99 lifetime). You can try it out with a limited number of contacts sync'ed until you know you like it. It sync's both ways if you like, as well as does backups of contacts.

- L