Ember Coffee Mug

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ubermax

Ember Coffee Mug

Post by ubermax »

Have been using this mug for a few weeks now - as advertised it does keep my coffee hot for at least a good 45 minutes but I've noticed a taste
change, somewhat metallic as compared to drinking from a cardboard or pottery cup - has anyone else experienced the same or similar ?
Thranduil

Re: Ember Coffee Mug

Post by Thranduil »

I have not noticed any taste difference or residue.

Which finish is your mug? Copper?
"Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy." John Bogle
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I haven't used it. But I've noticed that coffee undergoes a taste change simply from being kept hot.

Decades ago I had a friend with a very expensive coffee mug, stainless steel, with that had an actual glass Thermos/Dewar type vacuum bottle construction, and a lid. He said it kept coffee hot for hours, and that after a few hours it tasted just like coffee that had been sitting in an electric coffee urn for hours.

I take it that Ember mugs actually contain a thermostatic heater and a rechargeable battery. So if they do a better job of keeping coffee hot, they might be degrading the flavor more.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
RJC

Post by RJC »

Had a Ember mug. No difference in taste; however, we kept having issues with the contact between the mug and coaster.
TNWoods

Post by TNWoods »

I have not noticed any flavor change.

I never changed the default temperature setting, which is 135 F. Perhaps there could be a flavor change due to using a higher temperature setting?

TNWoods
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

RJC wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:13 am Had a Ember mug. No difference in taste; however, we kept having issues with the contact between the mug and coaster.
Make sure the bottom of your mug is completely dry before placing it on the coaster. Otherwise, water drips down onto the coaster and makes it way below the charging contacts. Then it rusts and messes up the springs that push the contacts up. I went down a deep rabbit hole of research trying to figure out why my mug wouldn't charge.