What do you consider to be the greatest achievement of your life?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JustGotScammed

What do you consider to be the greatest achievement of your life?

Post by JustGotScammed »

Investing or otherwise. Or perhaps I should say, primarily or investing (otherwise).
deikel

Re: What do you consider to be the greatest achievement of your life?

Post by deikel »

There are many, family wise, job wise, education wise

But the one with the furthest impact, I think, was to buy into the FIRE concept (even before that phrase was popular and at a time when it was not clear at all that it would be possible to achieve). It has created a level of security and stress reduction that nothing else has. It opened opportunities that would not have been around otherwise and insulated me from panic based on job loss, age discrimination, viruses and the crazy world in general

I do not think there is anything else that truly represents freedom in the American sense of it ...at least the FI portion of it.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

Finding my wife in graduate school at the University of Hawaii and her having our 4 sons in three years. These 45 years have gone by so quickly. 🥰
JakeyLee
Location: From sea to shining sea. But mostly the south west.

Post by JakeyLee »

30 some odd years ago i was a starting linebacker and team captain for a prominent division one college football team. I partied hard and had no purpose in life, other than living for today. Oh, and stuffing running backs at the line of scrimmage.

A series of nagging injuries found me popping fistfuls of pills (opiates) daily. I was found passed out on someone’s property one morning, and promptly arrested. After a short stint in court mandated rehab, I discovered the joy of learning. I learned how to study. I found a new passion. I finally had a reason to live. I’m almost positive this is the single reason I had a successful career in public service.

My greatest achievement? Finding sobriety at such a young age. AND having empathy for others going through the same struggles. Once I discovered I could live a life without narcotics, everything else just took care of itself. It was such a blessing to get help at such a young age. Most addicts were not as lucky as me. I’m sorry about my strange ramblings. Nothing to see here. Move along 8-)
Last edited by JakeyLee on Tue May 14, 2024 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“On balance, the financial system subtracts value from society” | -John Bogle
johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx »

4 touchdowns in one game.
Barefoot

Post by Barefoot »

johnegonpdx wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:31 pm 4 touchdowns in one game.
Al Bundy is in the house!
AlwaysLearningMore

Post by AlwaysLearningMore »

JakeyLee wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:31 pm 30 some odd years ago i was a starting linebacker and team captain for a prominent division one college football team. I partied hard and had no purpose in life, other than living for today. Oh, and stuffing running backs at the line of scrimmage.

A series of nagging injuries found me popping fistfuls of pills (opiates) daily. I was found passed out on someone’s property one morning, and promptly arrested. After a short stint in court mandated rehab, I discovered the joy of learning. I learned how to study. I found a new passion. I finally had a reason to live. I’m almost positive this is the single reason I had a successful career in public service.

My greatest achievement? Finding sobriety at such a young age. AND having empathy for others going through the same struggles. Once I discovered I could live a life without narcotics, everything else just took care of itself. It was such a blessing to get help at such a young age. Most addicts were not as lucky as me. I’m sorry about my strange ramblings. Nothing to see here. Move along 8-)
Congratulations on this very important accomplishment. Don't minimize the effort it took to get through that. 👍👍
Retirement is best when you have a lot to live on, and a lot to live for. * None of what I post is investment advice.* | FIRE'd July 2023
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (not a consumer issue, nor does it fit anywhere else). See: Personal Consumer Issues
This subforum is focused on making informed decisions about consumer goods and services (other than investing or financial).

Acceptable topics include:

- consumer goods and services (e.g., dress shirts, laptops, software)

- home maintenance

- vehicle purchases and maintenance

- leisure and recreational activities: travel, sports, entertainment

Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.